• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Grand Strategy - Thread of Fighting WW2 as Bithynia

cicero

I went looking for a last bit of info as a kind of straw to break the camel's back to dissuade or convince me to buy Crusader Kings II and all of the cheery comments here were enough to do it. Can't let this one sit in my backlog!@#

Oh the crap just hit the fan, my previous ruler who ruled for 37 years and died at 67 must not have set up the succession right. My third son, prince murchard is the duke of gwyenned and dfuthebert? And the county of Leinster

But here is the huge problem, I arranged a marriage with him and the duchess of moray, he went to live with her. Boom his heirs are outside the dynasty wtf! How did that happen, and when ever I click on his diplomacy, I can't revoke titles (because I guess he is in another house?)

Helpppp

Matrimonial marriage gives the titles to the wives. That's why your son went to live with her instead of her coming to his place.

ZZMitch

D86C22A1C72862C5365ACA155F23E24FBBA247B0

Finished my Papal States game! It was a lot of fun, but I saw the AI do a lot of crazy things in this game. France and Belgium have been at war for over 50 years, Brandenburg and Great Britain have been at war for about as long as well (which was annoying because I wanted to annex Bavaria). Tons of random OPM and other weak nations kept declaring war on me whenever I got into any war, was super annoying. AI is also really bad at maintaining large empires. Russia and Qing kept getting large and then collapsing, which was disappointing.

I also thought this was funny... Inca westernized and is now a power in the New World (also owns much of the west coast of North America and some Pacific Islands).

47420261DA2EFB9AC54C48B62B6340D8884DEA12

zoku88

Oh the crap just hit the fan, my previous ruler who ruled for 37 years and died at 67 must not have set up the succession right. My third son, prince murchard is the duke of gwyenned and dfuthebert? And the county of Leinster

But here is the huge problem, I arranged a marriage with him and the duchess of moray, he went to live with her. Boom his heirs are outside the dynasty wtf! How did that happen, and when ever I click on his diplomacy, I can't revoke titles (because I guess he is in another house?)

Helpppp

As the the previous poster pointed out, it was probably a matrilinear marriage.

When you marry someone of a high status and they send you a message when they're both of age, you should actually read the message carefully. Sometimes (or always in my case), the pop-up is actually for a matrilinear marriage.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just got CK2 and the Mongol DLC. I saw the fonts were actually readable this time and couldn't resist.

Walshicus

Shame you can't have more than one instance of a "Holy Roman Empire" type entity in the game - the system with a few modifications could perfectly represent the present Confederal EU we have.

Omikron

I have always been interested in the grand strategy thing Paradox does, but I just couldn't kick the learning curve for ages until I have started playing CK2... the game is quite honestly amazing. Thought I would share some screenshots / game progression.

Started the game in 1066 as King of Denmark (first ever game mind you, so feel free to poke fun). He kinda did ok, expanding out slightly to the surrounding counties...

His son was then fairly successful in maintaining the balance, but died unexpectadly... resulting in his son gaining the thrown at the age of 1. This was not a good situation for an imbecile.

Shit hit the fan hard at this point and some of my earlier alliances which helped me early on, created claims on my throne in both Hungary and Poland and at this point it was just a pile on and I was reduced to the title of Count for quite a while over the progression of a few different leaders...

But then along came Omikron I who got the vast majority back. Through a variety of backstabbing and usurping varies duchies. But as you can see the land was still pretty split up with various owners, Poland having Fyn is still driving me batty.

After that particular leader I again lost the crown due to over extending myself and forgetting to keep my vassals happy.

But Omikron II got it mostly all back again, has been ruling for a ridiculous amount of time and just continues living and producing children even though he is in his late 70s. It is pretty damn glorious. I have pinched some pieces of Sweden late into his reign. Although pieces of what should be Denmark are currently controlled by Poland/England...bastards.

If anyone is interested on how the whole map looks in my game, should be able to see me panning around etc at about ~24mins, check out Sicily... amazing

http://www.livestream.com/0mikr0n/v...b8c4&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

zoku88

My recent CK2 game isn't going so well...

Somehow, the HRE got a claim on most of my titles. So, he just started revoking them, the jerk.

Took about half of my lands. And of course...medium crown authority. Can't declare war on the news counts/dukes >_<

I think my mistake was that I should have never married any of my daughters to any emperor. Maybe that's where the current emperor got the claims from.

ZZMitch

I am confused about something that happened in my EU3 game and am wondering if you guys can tell me what happened.

This is the situation (well a few years old but close enough).

2CDEB8DB006D9BEF3D51373F1B31D20D56477044

I am in an alliance with Mamluks and our relations are about 65. We are both at peace at the time. For some reason our relations randomly drop to about -35 or so and a week later he drops his alliance with me. I thought this was weird because I don't know what made our relations fall (he didn't insult me by the looks of it, or warm me because I should get popups for those) and because I didn't get a popup telling me that he broke the alliance like it should. I only noticed because I couldn't see inside of his lands anymore.

Anyone know what happened?

Anyone know what happened?

Alliances are auto-terminatored when relations drop to below zero. Regarding the cause of the sudden drop, that is less clear. In my Europe test game, my relations with Russia kept dropping by 5 at a time, every month or two months. There were no modifiers leading to this happening (e.g. our relations were growing each month according to the tooltip), they were not getting border disputes or anything like that, and they weren't sending insults.

The only thing I can think of is that it might be something to do with trade - relations might drop by 5 when you displace a merchant. Then they displace yours in return since both people have set the CoT to automate, and the cycle continues. I don't actually know if this is what is happening, but it's my current guess. I tried googling "relations suddenly dropping EU3" but it didn't produce anything useful.

For you, if you had a royal marriage and they claimed somebody else's throne, that could result in a sudden sharp drop without a popup to warn you as to why it happened. Smaller drops are caused by them starting Wars of Aggression with third parties.

ZZMitch

For you, if you had a royal marriage and they claimed somebody else's throne, that could result in a sudden sharp drop without a popup to warn you as to why it happened. Smaller drops are caused by them starting Wars of Aggression with third parties.

That might be it, they claimed the throne of the Timurids and I have a royal marriage there. Might have to cancel that marriage because I need this alliance with Mamluks at the moment lol.

Thanks for the info!

Man it feels so weird dispensing advice and explaining mechanics to people in this game. It feels like it was only the other day when I had no clue how any of this stuff worked.

Dice

I know it's not exactly grand strategy but people in this thread are most-likely to be the ones interested in it so I thought I'd warn you guys: Naval War: Arctic Circle does not have in-mission saving.

I know that fact dropped my interest. Some people are talking about it on the forums, so hopefully the developer will add it.

19Kilo

I know it's not exactly grand strategy but people in this thread are most-likely to be the ones interested in it so I thought I'd warn you guys: Naval War: Arctic Circle does not have in-mission saving.

I know that fact dropped my interest. Some people are talking about it on the forums, so hopefully the developer will add it.

I'm interested as I enjoyed Jane's Fleet Command years ago. Although this looks nearly identical. Are the visuals really as bad as they look in the previews?

Hari Seldon

I saw that on Steam yesterday, I should check out the forums it looks kind of cool. But no in-mission saving is pretty weird, how long are the missions?

Dice

I'm interested as I enjoyed Jane's Fleet Command years ago. Although this looks nearly identical. Are the visuals really as bad as they look in the previews?
Yeah, that side of things is disappointing. They are designing the game so it can be played on anything and I guess that means just being simplistic rather than scaling since they are a very small team. They talk about being able to mod the game a lot, so I wonder if that includes 3D assets. It's a Unity game so maybe it would be somewhat easy?

Either way, all the gameplay happens on the map. The 3D part is just there to help you picture it or something. It may seem extremely disappointing at first, but when you think about it, this is a modern navy game. It's all about super long distance detection and attacks. Close range just hardly ever happens and control of units in 3D isn't necessary. Personally, I'm more disappointed in the sound.

I saw that on Steam yesterday, I should check out the forums it looks kind of cool. But no in-mission saving is pretty weird, how long are the missions?
Here is one that's 20minutes, which I heard on the forums:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQMbwi7fwFg
This guy uses time compression a lot to clear one in 8 1/2 mins:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQyzCFf9t8c

A member of the dev team said they would like to add in-mission saving but can't promise anything.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Either way, all the gameplay happens on the map. The 3D part is just there to help you picture it or something.

Sounds just like Fleet Command actually. I really need to get around to snagging Fleet Command again, I lost my discs long ago and there's a bunch of mods I've been meaning to try on it.

I've been tempted to snag Naval War, but figured I should wait until a couple patches come out.

zoku88

I think I'm having my most successful game in CK2 yet. Started as the Duchess of Toscana. Had some problems because of gavelkind.

Eventually manipulated my way to obtaining the Duchy of Verona which let me form the Kingdom of Italy. I realize that I still have no idea how crown law works, because I seem to be free to declare war on whoever I want even though The HRE has absolute crown law (which is why I had to manipulate my way to gaining Verona instead of just crushing it...)

Oh well, finally got Modena back in my lands.

This is the first time I've formed the Kingdom of Italy.

dionysus

Yaldog
Amazon Spring Sale:

Mount and Blade: Warband for $4
Hearts of Iron III for $2
Victoria II for $4

Looks like every paradox game is for sale for less than $6 with a few exceptions. I'll probably get Hearts of Iron.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Another EU3 -D&T question:

I send out merchants to a COT, and they are succesful. I see that my value for trade is going up, but at the same times my "investment" number is rising too, leading to me not earning anything at all from the trade. Since the investment rises, I literally don't earn anything from trade. Might that be related to my inflation? (Still sitting at 25,7 currently)

But hey, at least a mission finally gave me a core on one of my Vassals, so I now have 5 provinces with Saxony.

Son1x

Another EU3 -D&T question:

I send out merchants to a COT, and they are succesful. I see that my value for trade is going up, but at the same times my "investment" number is rising too, leading to me not earning anything at all from the trade. Since the investment rises, I literally don't earn anything from trade. Might that be related to my inflation? (Still sitting at 25,7 currently)

But hey, at least a mission finally gave me a core on one of my Vassals, so I now have 5 provinces with Saxony.

I don't think trading increases the tech cost. Only inflation, number of owned provinces (the 5th one probably raised it), technology group, being ahead in tech and stuff like ideas/sliders modify the tech cost.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I don't think trading increases the tech cost. Only inflation, number of owned provinces (the 5th one probably raised it), technology group, being ahead in tech and stuff like ideas/sliders modify the tech cost.

Yeah, but the "investment" thing went up as soon as I had merchants in a COT, and it went down after they got kicked out again. That would be a strange coincident..

Jhriad

Amazon Spring Sale:

Victoria II for $4

Looks like every paradox game is for sale for less than $6 with a few exceptions. I'll probably get Hearts of Iron.

How can I tell if those activate on Steam or not? Tempted to pickup M&B:Warband for that price.

Amazon Spring Sale:

Victoria II for $4

Mount and Blade: WB is so fun. It's like Pirates! with better combat.

Toma

Yeah, but the "investment" thing went up as soon as I had merchants in a COT, and it went down after they got kicked out again. That would be a strange coincident..

Actually.. could it be that the trade income is going directly into tech investment?

And I started my saxony game new, because getting rid of that 28% inflation is almost impossible. I started out by marrying/claiming throne/personal unionizing with Thuringa. If I understood it correctly I may inherit their provinces when my ruler dies, right?

zoku88

The final dev diary for patch 1.05 for CK2 :)

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...1.05-Development-Diary-3-of-3-April-13th-2012

More events and plots
We shipped with about 2,100 events for Crusader Kings II, which is more than we've ever had in any game we've ever released, even with multiple expansions. This does not mean that we did not want to add more events, and this free update contains over 300 new events.

Causes of Death – It is now possible to see what characters died of, so that you will know if your son was murdered or not. This is shown in a tooltip over the skull-icon which is shown on dead characters. Causes of death include, Natural, Murder, Diel, Suicide, Battle, From Trait, Accident and many more.

Whenever I die at age 30, I always wonder if I was murdered (especially when it's elective...)

Derrick01

Banned
Is there a rough date for this CK2 patch? I'm slowly trying to learn how to play so I'd rather just wait until the patch before really getting into it. Especially for something "small" yet huge to me like learning how people were killed.

Setre

Is there a rough date for this CK2 patch? I'm slowly trying to learn how to play so I'd rather just wait until the patch before really getting into it. Especially for something "small" yet huge to me like learning how people were killed.

April 17th seems to be when the patch is expected to come out.

After 140 hours of CK II I was starting to get a little burnt out. Now that I know what’s coming with this patch I can’t wait to start up my next game.

Dice

Same here. I first read up on all the mechanics, then read up on the patch and I was like "well shit"

Toma

Hey guys, I need some help regarding EU3 multiplayer.

I started playing with a friend but our game is getting asynchronous within minutes everytime. We'll try changing hosts tomorrow, and maybe the mod we use isnt too good for MP, but which other reasons could it have?

zoku88

So, my game got a liiiitle weird...

First time I've made the Kingdom of Germany, though!

The Duke of Brunswick, my old rival, decided to join a rebellion against the HRE and seemingly died in battle, leaving his child daughter as the duchess, who my son married :)

So, all those Brunswickian lands added to my lands were just enough to form the Kingdom.

I think the King of Hungary/Poland invaded the HRE (they were allied during one of my rebellions, so it wouldn't surprise me that he had a CB.)

Anyway, I just invited the Prince of Poland to my court. I will probably press his claim sometime so I can weaken the HRE (assuming, I don't get my butt kicked, I haven't fought this Hungarian before...)

The reconquista started to be reversed. The Muslims probably took advantage of all of the HRE in-fighting and got most of it back....

Son1x

Hey guys, I need some help regarding EU3 multiplayer.

I started playing with a friend but our game is getting asynchronous within minutes everytime. We'll try changing hosts tomorrow, and maybe the mod we use isnt too good for MP, but which other reasons could it have?

I have no idea what could be wrong. I've played D&T before with a friend. He hosted (his net is 4mbit/0,75mbit or so, mines 1/0,25) and only desynch'd once in an hour or so. Now Whole World Mod didn't on the other hand didn't work, as soon as we unpaused the game, it desynch'd every time. What speed are you trying to play at? Going faster than 3x might be the problem.

Actually.. could it be that the trade income is going directly into tech investment?

And I started my saxony game new, because getting rid of that 28% inflation is almost impossible. I started out by marrying/claiming throne/personal unionizing with Thuringa. If I understood it correctly I may inherit their provinces when my ruler dies, right?

I'm not sure what you mean with first question? Everthing you get from trade only goes to investments. You need to mint (prefferably with good -inflation sliders/national ideas/advisers) to get money out of it for yourself.

Yup, every time your ruler dies, theres a chance that you inherit your PU's. The only conditions are that you're both at peace and relations have to be over 100. Also, the higher the diplomacy, more chances that its happening. Infamy also lowers the chance to inhert a country.

Toma

I have no idea what could be wrong. I've played D&T before with a friend. He hosted (his net is 4mbit/0,75mbit or so, mines 1/0,25) and only desynch'd once in an hour or so. Now Whole World Mod didn't on the other hand didn't work, as soon as we unpaused the game, it desynch'd every time. What speed are you trying to play at? Going faster than 3x might be the problem.

I'm not sure what you mean with first question? Everthing you get from trade only goes to investments. You need to mint (prefferably with good -inflation sliders/national ideas/advisers) to get money out of it for yourself.

Yup, every time your ruler dies, theres a chance that you inherit your PU's. The only conditions are that you're both at peace and relations have to be over 100. Also, the higher the diplomacy, more chances that its happening. Infamy also lowers the chance to inhert a country.

Thanks! Sorry if I am sounding a bit confused at times..

New question:

I can make money with loan offers, I suppose. If I have nothing else to do with my money I just loan them to another country and make 4-8% profit, right? What happens if they dont want to pay it back? Do I get a Casus Belli for that?

Son1x

Thanks! Sorry if I am sounding a bit confused at times..

New question:

I can make money with loan offers, I suppose. If I have nothing else to do with my money I just loan them to another country and make 4-8% profit, right? What happens if they dont want to pay it back? Do I get a Casus Belli for that?

I have no idea. Even though I've put more than 300 hours in EU III, I never gave anyone a loan before.

Toma

I have no idea. Even though I've put more than 300 hours in EU III, I never gave anyone a loan before.

I couldnt find that much on the topic either. Guess I'll just try it out and report back.

Toma

I couldnt find that much on the topic either. Guess I'll just try it out and report back.

First one I tried:

HFedp.jpg

Casus Belli! Yessss.

From what I read it depends on the relations between your two countries. They are more likely to pay it back with good relations, and others are not. Well, guess I got to clean out some Palatinate boys!

panda21

i tried out naval war, it seems kind of cool but it seems quite complicated and the tutorial sort of leaves you on your own after teaching you the absolute basics.

there is stuff like the 5 different radar systems you have that i don't really understand and aren't explained. I ended up having missiles appear out of nothing even though i had radar i thought was covering the whole area.

also your planes seem painfully stupid and when told to attack will just launch one missile and then go back to what they were doing before.

i want it to be good since it seems like it could be cool, but the learning curve might be way too steep.

Top Bottom