• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

gryz

Banned
With all the retro gaming threads going on I felt that the PC Engine/TG16 needed some love as well. I picked one up on a whim several months ago, having always been intrigued by the Johnny Turbo ads back in the day, and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite systems. It's also one of the most confusing consoles to figure out as there are numerous hardware revisions to keep track of if you want to play all the games, not to mention all the system cards. A lot of the games have a uniquely Japanese flavor that you won't find on other systems, and it's home to lots of great shmups as well. Please let me know if any of this information is inaccurate.
Post pics of your collections and share your favorite games.

Release Date:
JP: October 30, 1987
NA: August 29, 1989
EU: Unofficial 1990

Hardware Versions
PC Engine
The original PC Engine, only has RF out
327U0CY.jpg
The Core GRAFX 1&2 added AV output. 1&2 are identical other than the differing color schemes
CD Rom Attachments
Original CD-ROM2,this model requires a System 1.0 card or above to use the CD features.
Super CD-ROM2, this model has the functionality of a System 3.0 card built in
TurboGrafx 16
AFAIK there was only one TG16 version released and it also had RF out. It's basically the PC Engine console with an empty shell stuck to the side because US consumers were confused that something so expensive would be so small (source)
TG16 with CDROM Attachment:
System Cards
To be honest I am not that well versed in the intricacies of the System Cards. Basically the System 3.0 card will ensure that you can play all of the non arcade CDROM titles, and the Arcade card will allow you to play the few titles that require the Arcade card.
SuperGrafx
enhanced version of the PC Engine with improved RAM and video capabilities, only 7 titles were released that took advantage of it's capabilities, but its backwards compatible with all the standard PC Engine games.
Combo Systems
US Turbo Duo:
Japanese PC Duo, PC Duo R, and PC Duo RX Variants:
in my experience it's been very difficult/expensive to find functional standalone CD ROM/Super CD-ROM units and your best bet to play all the games is to find a PC Duo System and an arcade card, then you can play all the games except for the supergrafx ones. The only Super CDROM I found in a recent trip to Japan was a boxed one going for almost $1000, so I ended up buying a PC Duo RX even though I already have a Core Grafx. the combo systems all have a System 3.0 card built into the motherboard. I believe the differences between the Duo models are mainly cosmetic, with the newer revisions being more reliable (correct me if I'm wrong)

Recommended Games
My experience is only with Japanese games, if there are any US games I should add let me know. This list is based on games I own or want to own so I'm probably missing a lot, please let me know if I'm missing any important ones.
Also worth noting that only the HuCards are region locked, CDROM games will run on either region system.

HuCard:
Bikkuriman World
Gradius
Salamander
Kato Chan and Ken Chan
Bonk/PC Genjin 1,2,3
Genpei Touma den
Ordyne
Nectaris/Military Madness
Super Star Soldier
Darius Plus
Alien Crush/Devils Crush
Blazing Lazers/Gunhed

CDROM(I only recently got CDROM capability so I don't know too many good titles on CDROM yet, I would appreciate some reccomendations here from the GAF community)
Snatcher
Psychic Storm
Dracula X
Y's series
Valis series

Helpful Links
http://pcenginefx.com/main/nec_compatibility_guide.html

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Fantastic OP.

This is my only PC Engine game, which I don't even have a system for!

A8gwMVICYAAackM.jpg

I need to change that.

I want to get:

Gate of Thunder
Kaze Kiri (maybe... not sure how good it actually is)
Rayxanbar III (probably)
Spriggan
Winds of Thunder

There aren't a ton of great games on the PC Engine, but the ones that are good tend to be really, really good.

Yes Boss!

Thanks.

Forget Nintendo, forget Sega, forget SNK. This is the system I can get behind. Favorite of them all.

Favorite 16-bitter.

Yes Boss!

Y'all crazy.

Ha,

I'm the biggest Nintendo fan ever. That said, I owned every single console of the era. EVERY single one...I was an adult by then. TG-16/PC-Engine is still my favorite and my most fondest memory.

OP: missing Arcade Card titles and the post-PCE PC-FX release...even as footnotes.

I went on a binge PC Engine CD game shopping spree about a year ago. And I don't even have a PC Engine. Spent maybe $500 on a bunch of games that have been sitting in my room. Lots of cool ones though, Snatcher, Rondo of Blood, Ys 1/2, 3, 4, Legend of Heroes 1, 2, a ton of Japanese RPGs, Might and Magic 1, 3, Record of Lodoss War 1,2 and a bunch of other ones I forgot.

The only game I really want now is Dead of the Brain, which is a horror visual novel and extremely rare. I saw it on either Yahoo Auctions or Ebay once and it was at least $200. Apparently it was released in 1999 as well.

http://www.pcengine.co.uk/HTML_Games/Dead_of_the_Brain.htm

I think what I like about CD games from this era (Sega CD too) is the animation style, where it was that late 80s/early 90s anime, but they had to lower the quality to get it to fit on a CD, plus lots of great music and voice acting (the bad voice acting can be charming as well).

Noogy

Still my favorite console, and I've owned practically everything. Remains my most played legacy system as well.

gryz

Banned
man Rondo of Blood is the main one I've been trying to track down. Hard to find for a reasonable price.

OP: missing Arcade Card titles and the post-PCE PC-FX release...even as footnotes.

what are the major Arcade CD titles? Fatal Fury Special and Sapphire are the main ones I've heard about. PC-FX's were really cheap when I was in Tokyo, was debating picking one up

GDGF

Soothsayer
Always loved the look of the PC Engine. NEC was on fire back then.

I still need to play the Super Grafx version of Strider.

ACESmkII

Fantastic OP.

This is my only PC Engine game, which I don't even have a system for!

A8gwMVICYAAackM.jpg

I need to change that.

I want to get:

Gate of Thunder
Kaze Kiri (maybe... not sure how good it actually is)
Rayxanbar III (probably)
Spriggan
Winds of Thunder

There aren't a ton of great games on the PC Engine, but the ones that are good tend to be really, really good.

Wow is that steal sealed? I'm miss my Duo and I miss Rondo. I wish I never sold my Duo and all my games for it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
man Rondo of Blood is the main one I've been trying to track down. Hard to find for a reasonable price.

what are the major Arcade CD titles? Fatal Fury Special and Sapphire are the main ones I've heard about. PC-FX's were really cheap when I was in Tokyo, was debating picking one up

Apart from those, the main ones are just the other SNK ports and Strider. As far as I know. Actually, wasn't the Popful Mail PC Engine release an ArcadeCD?

Wow is that steal sealed? I'm miss my Duo and I miss Rondo. I wish I never sold my Duo and all my games for it.

Yes.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!

Bought this about a month ago. Street Fighter 2 is actually pretty good for it, but horribly played with a 2 button controller. Eventualy I'll be getting a 6 button one for it. Recently ordered Mysterious Song for it. Support your homebrews!

ACESmkII

Bought this about a month ago. Street Fighter 2 is actually pretty good for it, but horribly played with a 2 button controller. Eventualy I'll be getting a 6 button one for it. Recently ordered Mysterious Song for it. Support your homebrews!

The PC engine version of SFII was my favorite port on the older systems, but yeah you need to have the 6 button pad.

Yeah, the TG16 is pretty cool... has some good games for sure. Get one! Also, I think this list of mine is worth posting.

I also have a list of all multitap-supporting games for the system, if anyone's interested in that.

I got this list into shape several months back, after spending some time figuring out the differences between the various external save devices. That took a while, specific information about some of them wasn't that easy to find. The one thing that's missing is a complete list of Japanese titles that support system save. I know this list is very far from complete. Please tell me if there are any errors in this list. I'd also love to know the save file size numbers for the other titles; the only ones I have the numbers for are ones in a list online, and a few others. Most still don't have them.

Backup Save Unit Types
--
TurboGrafx-CD and PCE-CD base units, TurboDuo and PCE Duo, Duo-R, and Duo-RX systems (US and Japan) have 2000 blocks in their internal save memories. These all save via a capacitor, so it'll eventually lose the saves on it if you don't turn the system on for too long; it should be able to hold them for at least a few weeks on each charge.

Turbo Booster Plus (US) - Alternative instead of a CD base unit, adds AV output and 2000 blocks of internal memory. I believe the internal memory is capacitor-backed, like with the CD base units and Duos.

Tennokoe 2 (J) - External backup unit with 2000 blocks of memory. Plugs into the back of the system, to add saving to systems like the CoreGrafx for people who don't want to get a CD drive. Uses AA batteries to hold the save. Doesn't have AV output, because this was mostly designed for systems like the CoreGrafx which have that themselves.

Backup Booster (J) - Another external 2000 block memory unit, again powered with AA batteries (apparently), but this is basically the Japanese equivalent of the Turbo Booster Plus - it's got the internal save, and AV output.

Backup Booster 2 (J) - Save memory only addon - no AV output here. Apparently saves via an internal rechargeable NiCad battery, and gets power from the system. "60 hours charge to save data for a month". Probably is also 2000 blocks, but I don't know for sure.

Backup Unit (J) - Backup unit just for the PC Engine Shuttle. Functionally the same as the Backup Booster 2, just differently shaped.

Tennokoe Bank HuCards (Japan only cards with save memory on them) have 8000 blocks divided into four 2000 block banks - you can only copy whole banks back and forth to the system or delete files in a bank, not copy individual files between banks. Games can't save to it directly, instead you copy the bank you're using to the system. The thing saves via an internal, very difficult to replace CR2032 battery.

Memory Base 128 units (Japan only addons that plug into the controller port as a passthrough) have 128000 blocks on them, divided into 64 banks. You can copy banks back and forth to the system, as with the Tennokoe Bank, though to do this you must go through ingame menus with certain compatible games (because of how it plugs in, it can't have a built-in menu like the Tennokoe Bank, of course). Certain, specific Japanese CD titles that support the MB128 directly can save directly to the MB128, as well. Koei released a clone of the MB128 called the Save-kun; it's the same thing, and is intercompatible. The only negative is that it saves via AA batteries, which won't last nearly as long, but are user-replaceable. There is another internal (rechargable perhaps) battery for when the batteries die, that will hold the saves for about half an hour while you replace the batteries.

Sources:
www6.airnet.ne.jp%2Fwataru%2Fpce%2Fback_sys.htm&act=url or translated: http://translate.google.com/transla....airnet.ne.jp/wataru/pce/back_sys.htm&act=url
http://turbo.mindrec.com/files/gamesave.faq
http://forums.magicengine.com/en/viewtopic.php?t=2285

For the below list, the US list should be complete. The Japanese list is very incomplete.

TG16/PCE HuCard games with system save
--
U
--
D&D: Order of the Griffon - 412 blocks (also has passwords, but with PW you can only save on world map; with system save you can save anywhere) (four files allowed)
--
JU
--
Andre Panza Kick Boxing - 35 blocks
Ballistix
Bomberman - 5 blocks (also has passwords) (can save only at Continue menu. Three files allowed.)
Bomberman '93 - 16 blocks (also has passwords) (can save only at Continue menu. Three files allowed.)
Boxyboy (main game is password only, but edit mode is system save only)
Champions Forever Boxing - 21 blocks (also has passwords)
Chew Man Fu - 2 blocks for game progress, 172 blocks per custom level (also has passwords for game progress, custom levels require system save)
Cratermaze - 1 block (also has passwords)
Davis Cup Tennis - 209 blocks per file
Devil's Crush - 480 blocks in two 240 block files (both required) (also has passwords)
Dragon's Curse - 14 blocks (also has passwords) (four files allowed)
Falcon - 140 blocks in two files, 60 and 80 blocks, both required (also has passwords)
Gunboat - 176 blocks
Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf - 406 blocks in two files, 130 and 286 blocks (130 blocks for score/player data, 286 to save a game in progress)
Neutopia - 32 blocks (also has passwords) (four files allowed)
Neutopia II - 48 blocks (also has passwords) (four files allowed)
Night Creatures - 40 blocks (can save after dying, game saves number of remaining continues.) (three files allowed)
Parasol Stars: The Story of Bubble Bobble III
Soldier Blade - 63 blocks
Super Volleyball - 112 blocks per file (saves Team Edit mode creations)
Tiger Road - 40 blocks
Timeball - 420 blocks (also has passwords)
World Sports Competition - two files, both required, 216 and 144 blocks (360 total) (can have up to three saves of the 216 block main save files; the smaller file is world records.)

--
J (incomplete list)
--
Battle Lode Runner (also has password for main game; edit mode requires system save)
Coryoon: Child of Dragon
Darius Plus - 260 blocks
Eternal City: Toshi Tenso Keikaku
Final Soldier - 18 blocks
Knight Rider Special
Lady Sword
Lode Runner: Lost Labyrinth (also has passwords)
Populou
Tora Heno Michi

TG16/PCE CD games with system save - games are for Super CD unless noted with a (CD) or (Arcade CD).
--
U
--
Beyond Shadowgate - 600 blocks (can have up to three files)
--
JU
--
4-In-1 Super CD (Gate of Thunder and HuCard copies of Bomberman, Bonk 1, Bonk 2; the first two have saving, see their listings for file sizes.) (Super CD)
Cosmic Fantasy 2 - 338 blocks per file, 2 files required (CD)
Cotton - 40 blocks (saves high scores only) (Super CD)
Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes - 601 blocks per file (three files allowed) (Super CD)
Dungeon Explorer 2 - 616 blocks (includes four saveslots within it) (Super CD)
Dungeon Master: Theron's Quest - 409 blocks per file (three files allowed) (can only save at end of level) (Super CD)
The Dynastic Hero - 78 blocks (four files allowed) (Super CD)
Exile - 96 blocks (four files allowed) (save anywhere)
Exile: Wicked Phenomenon - 1155 blocks (includes three saveslots within it) (save in towns only) (Super CD)
Fighting Street - 110 blocks (saves high scores only) (CD)
Forgotten Worlds - 34 blocks (saves high scores only) (Super CD)
Gate of Thunder - 25 blocks (saves high scores only) (Super CD)
Godzilla - 12 blocks (Super CD)
It Came from the Desert - 132 blocks (CD)
Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf - 368 blocks (game in progress save) (CD)
J.B. Harrold Murder Club - 400 blocks (two files allowed) (CD)
Last Alert - 32 blocks (CD)
Loom - 66 blocks (Super CD)
Lords of the Rising Sun - 1075 blocks (CD)
Might & Magic III: Isles of Terra - 1969 blocks (Super CD)
Monster Lair - 64 blocks (saves high scores only) (CD)
Prince of Persia - 10 blocks (ten files allowed) (Super CD)
Riot Zone - 40 blocks (saves high scores only) (Super CD)
Shadow of the Beast - 144 blocks (WILL AUTO-ERASE ALL OTHER FILES IF THERE IS NOT ENOUGH SAVE SPACE!) (saves high scores only) (Super CD)
Shape Shifter - 177 blocks (SOMETIMES WILL ERASE ALL OTHER SAVE FILES WITH NO WARNING!) (Super CD)
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective vol 1. - 3 269 block files, one for each mystery (CD)
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective vol 2. - 3 273 block files, one for each mystery (CD)
SimEarth - 2000 blocks (Super CD)
Splash Lake - 62 blocks (CD)
Valis II - 16 blocks (CD)
Valis III - 32 blocks (CD)
Vasteel - 880 blocks (contains four save slots within the file) (CD)
Ys Books I & II - 45 blocks per file (CD)
Ys III - Wanderers from Ys - 48 blocks per file (CD)
--
J (very incomplete list!)
--
A-Train III (A.III. / Take the "A" Train III / A-Rensha de Ikou III) (also supports Memory Base 128/Save-kun)
Akamajou Dracula X - 144 blocks
Ane-San
Aoki Ookami To Shiroki Mejika (also supports Memory Base 128)
Art of Fighting (Ryuuko no Ken) (Arcade CD) (?)
The Atlas: Renaissance Voyager (also supports Memory Base 128)
Basted (Bastard!)
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Collection (also supports Memory Base 128)
Blood Gear
Bomberman: Panic Bomber
Brandish - 997 blocks (also supports Memory Base 128/Save-kun)
Dragon Knight & Graffiti
Dragon Knight 2 - 993 blocks
Dragon Knight 3
Dragon Slayer II
Eikan wa Kimi ni: Koukou Yakyuu Zenkoko Taikai (also supports Memory Base 128/Save-kun) (baseball sim) (Arcade CD Enhanced, Super CD Required)
Efera and Jiliora: The Emblem of Darkness (CD)
Emerald Dragon - 4 blocks for config file, 274 blocks per save (also supports Memory Base 128/Save-kun)
Fatal Fury 2 (Garou Densetsu 2: Aratanaru Tatakai) (Arcade CD) (?)
Fatal Fury Special (Garou Densetsu Special) (Arcade CD) (?)
Fire Pro Female Wrestling (also supports Memory Base 128/Save-kun)
Fray in Magical Adventure
Future Boy Conan - 2 blocks
Ghengis Khan (also supports Memory Base 128/Save-kun)
Gotzendeiner - 160 blocks
Hi-Leg Fantasy (SOMETIMES WILL ERASE ALL OTHER SAVE FILES WITH NO WARNING!)
Human Sports Festival - 40 blocks (can use passwords, but for one of the three modes only)
Iga Ningen Gaiou
Image Fight II - 19 blocks
Kaze Kiri Ninja Action
Kiaidan 00
Linda Cube (also supports Memory Base 128/Save-kun)
Metamor Jupiter
Magicoal (also supports Memory Base 128/Save-kun)
Might & Magic (CD)
Moonlight Lady
Nobunaga's Ambition: Zenkokuban (Nobunaga no Yabou) (also supports Memory Base 128/Save-kun)
Nobunaga's Ambition: Bushou Fuuunroku (Nobunaga no Yabou) (also supports Memory Base 128/Save-kun)
Nexzr (saves top 5 scores only)
Popful Mail (also supports Memory Base 128/Save-kun)
Princess Maker
Princess Maker 2 (also supports Memory Base 128/Save-kun)
Princess Minerva
Private Eye Doll (also supports Memory Base 128/Save-kun)
Puyo Puyo CD - 128 blocks
Puyo Puyo CD Tsuu
Road Spirits - 138 blocks
Romance of the Three Kingdoms III (Sangokushi III) (also supports Memory Base 128/Save-kun)
Ruin - 783 blocks (contains two saves within it)
Shin Megami Tensei (also supports Memory Base 128/Save-kun)
Sol Moonarge
Startling Odyssey II - 349 blocks
Summer Carnival '92: Alzadick (saves settings, top score in each category) (CD)
Summer Carnival '93: Nexzr Special (saves top 5 scores in main game, 1 score in each carnival mode)
Super Darius (may not save much if anything?) (CD)
Super Darius II
Super Real Mahjong P II + III Custom (also supports Memory Base 128/Save-kun)
Super Real Mahjong PV Custom (also supports Memory Base 128/Save-kun)
Tadaima Yusha Boshuchuu (also supports Memory Base 128/Save-kun)
Tengai Makyou: Ziria (CD)
Tengai Makyou II: Manji Maru
Tengai Makyou - Kabuki Den - 320 blocks per file
Tokimeki Memorial
Valis IV (CD)
Vasteel 2 (also supports Memory Base 128/Save-kun)
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? - 22 blocks
World Heroes 2 - 50 blocks (Arcade CD)
Xak I & II - 640 blocks per file
Xak III
Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys - 2 block settings file plus 45 blocks per save
Zero 4 Champ - 192 blocks

May or may not save, but THE GAME CAN OR WILL ERASE ALL OTHER FILES ON THE CARD WHEN PLAYED
--
JU CD
--
Shape Shifter (does save, see above)
--
J CD
--
Space Fantasy Zone (unreleased) (doesn't save but will erase)
Hi Leg Fantasy (does save, see above)

Games with Memory Base 128/Save-kun Support (complete list) - These games should all allow you to save directly to the MB128.
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=653.0
http://forums.magicengine.com/en/viewtopic.php?t=2285
http://translate.google.com/transla...w6.airnet.ne.jp/wataru/pcefaq/pcefaq.htm#3-22
--
J CD
--
A-Train III (A. III, A-Rensha de Ikou III)
Aoki Ookami To Shiroki Mejika
The Atlas
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Collection
Brandish
Eikan Wa Kimini
Fire Pro Female Wrestling
Linda Cube
Magicoal
Nobunaga's Ambition: Zenkokuban (Nobunaga no Yabou)
Nobunaga's Ambition: Bushou Fuuunroku (Nobunaga no Yabou)
Popful Mail
Princess Maker 2
Private Eye Doll
Sankokushi III
Shin Megami Tensei
Super Real Mahjong P II + III Custom
Super Real Mahjong PV Custom
Tadaima Yusha Boshuuchuu
Vasteel 2

Emerald Dragon also may have been supposed to support this, but it does not; it only has a MB128 memory manager (as listed below).

Games with Password Save Only
--
HuCards
--
JU
--
Boxyboy (main game is password only, but edit mode is system save only)
Cyber Core (the "passwords" are really cheat codes)
Double Dungeons
Dungeon Explorer
Final Lap Twin
Impossamole
King of Casino
Military Madness
Sonic Spike
Tricky Kick
TV Sports Basketball
TV Sports Football
TV Sports Hockey
World Court Tennis (RPG part only)
--
J
--
Bomberman '94
Hot Blood High School Soccer (Nekketsu)
Puzznic
Titan
Zipang
--
CDs
--
J
--
Ranma 1/2 Part 1
Ranma 1/2 Part 3

TG16/PCE/CD games with memory card managers that allow you to see file sizes -- you cannot see them otherwise, the built-in manager has no file size listings.
--
U HuCard
--
D&D: Order of the Griffon (only if there is not enough space to save)
Falcon (only if there is not enough space to save)
--
J CD
--
Cosmic Fantasy 3
Cosmic Fantasy 4 Part II
Valis IV (press Select at "Press Start" screen after selecting New Game from the first menu)
--
J SCD
--
Popful Mail (also has Tennokoe Bank and Memory Bank 128 management features as well as for the on-system save)

PCECD games with built-in Memory Base 128/Save-kun managers -- you cannot see the blocks on the MB128 otherwise, or manage files on it.
--
J SCD
--
Emerald Dragon - press Up+Run at boot for manager
Linda Cube - press Up+Run at boot for manager
Popful Mail - manager is ingame
Tadaima Yusha Boshuchu - press 1+Run at boot for manager
Vasteel 2 - manager is ingame

There was a mail-in deal if you bought one the first few months. I remember waiting weeks for R-Type and Dungeon Explorer to show up in the mail. Awesome system.

Noogy

Would you believe, not 3 months ago, I almost considered doing this? My console, the Express, and a ton of TG-16 and PC-Engine games. Not sure what I was thinking. Not that I have much time to play with that stuff, but I simply could not part with it.

ShowDog

Somehow I picked up two different TG-16 units with CD attachments at flea markets and somehow I didn't realize the CD attachments were worthless without system cards. I still haven't ever ponied up for a system card, but I know they're available on ebay. I love the amount of colors these things can put out (I think 496 simultaneous?!). The graphics may be a bit rudimentary but the colors shit all over 16-bit systems, and R-Type is pretty amazing.

Used-ID

My TurboExpress has suffered from the bad capacitors syndrome and is unusable until I find someone who can do the replacement work. I've heard that some Duo systems suffer from it as well...

ACESmkII

Would you believe, not 3 months ago, I almost considered doing this? My console, the Express, and a ton of TG-16 and PC-Engine games. Not sure what I was thinking. Not that I have much time to play with that stuff, but I simply could not part with it.

Smart move. Sometimes I wish I could go back and undo my mistakes.

Yes Boss!

What are the major Arcade CD titles? Fatal Fury Special and Sapphire are the main ones I've heard about. PC-FX's were really cheap when I was in Tokyo, was debating picking one up

Nothing much for the Arcade. A few titles like you mentioned. But neat, like the SuperGrafx stuff.

I've kinda been getting back into buying PC Engine stuff. Getting a few Hu cards in the last year. Definitely going to ramp it up next time I'm in tokyo. Do really want a Shuttle and a PC-FX since I never owned either. Shuttle specifically for its amazing looks, unique controller, and box.

My next game purchase is probably going to be the japanese Terraforming, one of my favorite shooters of all time.

Also, since I collect arcade sticks I've got a few of the ones for PC Engine. The Micomsoft one being extraordinary. Very neat that it also has a multi-tap built into the side:

And it is tiny!

I had the white PC Engine, briefcase CD ROM and GT handheld, one of my favourite setups. Should never have sold it.

Only thing I kept was Fighting Street.

Quackula

I love my TG16. Only have a handful of games for it, but those games include Ninja Spirit and the two Bonk's, so at least what I have are actually good games.

Those controller cables are short, one of the few consoles where I felt like getting an extension cable was practically mandatory.

grendelrt

I had the white PC Engine, briefcase CD ROM and GT handheld, one of my favourite setups. Should never have sold it.

Only thing I kept was Fighting Street.

I had the TG16 w/ CD Rom and over 100 games. Sold it all during 32 bit era for a Saturn plus tons of cash, most regretted thing I have ever done. I bought a turbo duo in college though and have built back some of the collection at least. Still my most played retro system.

I hope one day Konami decides to expand the PC Engine selection on PSN, but it's doubtful. So many great games.
Likewise I'd like to see them make good on Hudson's promise to bring TG16 to 3DS Virtual Console. And hopefully Wii U after that.

The TG16 lineup on Wii is fantastic, though there's still a few gems it missed out on (Ys III, Magical Chase, etc).

Yes Boss!

Likewise I'd like to see them make good on Hudson's promise to bring TG16 to 3DS Virtual Console. And hopefully Wii U after that.

The TG16 lineup on Wii is fantastic, though there's still a few gems it missed out on (Ys III, Magical Chase, etc).

No Legendary Axe ;-(

PSN has a pretty great list of stuff on the different shops, including some SuperGrafx stuff and other classics like Valis I and II:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Store_TurboGrafx-16_games

Play great on the Vita with the better D-pad:

Veal

Absolutely one of my favorite 16 bit systems (next to the NeoGeo!) I LOVED the HuCards and playing Bonk always lifts my mood! Dat level complete theme! It's too bad the Bonk x Goemon crossover in my head will never happen despite Konami owning both franchises :(

gryz

Banned
Nothing much for the Arcade. A few titles like you mentioned. But neat, like the SuperGrafx stuff.

I've kinda been getting back into buying PC Engine stuff. Getting a few Hu cards in the last year. Definitely going to ramp it up next time I'm in tokyo. Do really want a Shuttle and a PC-FX since I never owned either. Shuttle specifically for its amazing looks, unique controller, and box.

My next game purchase is probably going to be the japanese Terraforming, one of my favorite shooters of all time.

Also, since I collect arcade sticks I've got a few of the ones for PC Engine. The Micomsoft one being extraordinary. Very neat that it also has a multi-tap built into the side:

And it is tiny!

that stick looks pretty awesome, I might need to try to track one down.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
This reminds me, a few weeks ago Chris Covell released a small diskmag for the PC Engine called Courage. You can burn it onto a CD and it will play on either a PC Engine or TG-16 CD.

Get it here

kinggroin

Banned
Man I was made fun of so often for choosing to buy a TG16 in the face of a Genesis advertising blitz.

Still don't regret it, even to this day.

d+pad

Hey, that Core Grafx II + Super CD-ROM2 system photo in the OP is mine! LOL :)

Anyway, I absolutely love the PC Engine. I have a white one (i.e., the best one), a Core Grafx II, a Super CD-ROM2 system and a crapload of games, although my list of 'wanted' games is still pretty darn long.

Oh, and my dream is to buy one of the original (PCE) CD-ROM2 systems with the 'suitcase' carrying case. Sigh, some day...

I know the system is known for its shooters, and most/many of them are great, but I prefer the system for its side-scrollers/platformers: Son Son II, Pop'n Magic, Parasol Stars, Mizubaku Daibouken, Obocchama Kun, Gekisha Boy, etc.

gryz

Banned
Hey, that Core Grafx II + Super CD-ROM2 system photo in the OP is mine! LOL :)

Anyway, I absolutely love the PC Engine. I have a white one (i.e., the best one), a Core Grafx II, a Super CD-ROM2 system and a crapload of games, although my list of 'wanted' games is still pretty darn long.

Oh, and my dream is to buy one of the original (PCE) CD-ROM2 systems with the 'suitcase' carrying case. Sigh, some day...

haha awesome. yeah the suitcase is definitely the most baller configuration, supposedly its the least reliable of all of them though.

anybody know if Vasteel is any good? I keep eyeing it at one of my local shops

d+pad

haha awesome. yeah the suitcase is definitely the most baller configuration, supposedly its the least reliable of all of them though.

anybody know if Vasteel is any good? I keep eyeing it at one of my local shops

Oh, that sucks--that the suitcase CD-ROM2 system is the least reliable, I mean. I guess it isn't too surprising, though. Oh, well, at least I have my Super CD-ROM2 system :)

As for Vasteel: I remember reading positive things about it back in the day, but I've yet to play it myself. You may want to check http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/ to see if IvaNEC has reviewed it?

Mareg

This is probably the one north american system I have never owned.
Too bad since it has the best version of my game of the forever, Wonderboy III Dragon's Curse.

Getting my Duo was as fantastic as getting my Famicom. My wife <then girlfriend> got a Duo-R plus Ninja Ryukenden <ew> and Dracula X <ooooh> for Christmas. Since then I've purchased all the Valis games, Super Darius, Spriggan, Devil's Crush, Dragon Spirit/Saber, SFII, etc.. I also made sure to get an Avenue Pad 3 and the duo came with a 6. Love it to bits :D

Celine

PCE was one of the better feature of my Wii.
Ys 1&2, Castlevania Rondo X, Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Winds of Thunder, Dynastyc Hero were all amazing.

No Legendary Axe ;-(
LA not being on Virtual Console was a crime against humanity.

Torgo

The Turbo is still on of my favorite systems of all time. I'm proud to have essentially completed my Suprgrafx collection (not going for Darius Alpha though, that's insane) and am currently working on completing my US collection.

TG16Games-resized.jpg

I have a long history with the system here in the uS, and even helped with some localization testing at the end of TTI's life. I and John B actually named all of the stages and characters in Air Zonk (except Zonk himself, that was done via a contest.)

Yes Boss!

Nifty collection^^^

Mine back in the day was similar. For the most part all of the US releases both Hu and CD/Super CD and then just a ton of import CD games. Importing was what made the system. I even had that same converter to change the pin-out so I could use the Super System Card on my TG-16 unit.

I am going to go for Darius Alpha, though. The only SuperGrafx game I never owned.

Yes Boss!

Here is my ENTIRE collection. Very tiny but on a whim I ordered this stuff last year when I was living in afghanistan. I'm in no hurry to start collecting as I still have another year or two finishing my Saturn and DC collections first. I got the rare Gunhed because I wanted something that was a little unique and I totally dug the Hudson time attack on Wiiware. I also did the RGB mod on the Core Grafx. Very easy and about 35$ and the picture is sublime with an XRGB.

gryz

Banned
Here is my ENTIRE collection. Very tiny but on a whim I ordered this stuff last year when I was living in afghanistan. I'm in no hurry to start collecting as I still have another year or two finishing my Saturn and DC collections first. I got the rare Gunhed because I wanted something that was a little unique and I totally dug the Hudson time attack on Wiiware. I also did the RGB mode on the Core Grafx. Very easy and about 35$ and the picture is sublime with an XRGB.

nice, I guess I could do the RGB mod on my core now that I have the duo but I'm always reluctant to alter the classic consoles in any way. any good links on how to do the mod?

Yes Boss!

nice, I guess I could do the RGB mod on my core now that I have the duo but I'm always reluctant to alter the classic consoles in any way. any good links on how to do the mod?

I was reluctant too, but it just had to be done. Composite was not cutting it, even with the upscaler.

I got this kit from the girl at Retro Accessories. She did not have them in stock but I emailed her and she let me know when they would go up...they did, and then I ordered. They sold out quick but she will probably put more up. I also had to get a gamebit off of ebay for a few bucks:

http://www.retro-access.com/ourshop...od-kit-with-fully-amped-cable-and-socket.html

Then I followed this guide that came with the cable:

http://cdn-12.create.net/sitefiles/12/8/9/128972/pcergbmod.pdf

Key thing for me was that there was no case modification...and finished product looks identical. The DIN plug was a one for one swap. Amplifier is built into the SCART cable.

Top Bottom