• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

gryz

Banned

I was reluctant too, but it just had to be done. Composite was not cutting it, even with the upscaler.

I got this kit from the girl at Retro Accessories. She did not have them in stock but I emailed her and she let me know when they would go up...they did, and then I ordered. They sold out quick but she will probably put more up. I also had to get a gamebit off of ebay for a few bucks:

http://www.retro-access.com/ourshop...od-kit-with-fully-amped-cable-and-socket.html

Then I followed this guide that came with the cable:

http://cdn-12.create.net/sitefiles/12/8/9/128972/pcergbmod.pdf

Key thing for me was that there was no case modification...and finished product looks identical. The DIN plug was a one for one swap. Amplifier is built into the SCART cable.

hmmm doesn't look toooo bad. maybe will try this when I'm feeling brave.

Yes Boss!

I did it in about ten minutes.

The kit comes with a cable and amp all built...just open it, then desolder the DIN. Resolder the new DIN (wires are already connected) then solder the three colors and a ground. I'll open mine up and show a photo.

The mmmonkey link shows you how to do it from scratch, like build the actual amp. That was beyond my level...but might save you $10 or $15.

Also, not sure, but you might not be able to use composite after it is done...not sure, though.

New DIN installed with the 3 RGB colored wires and one brown ground coming off (I clipped it with a little zip tie):

Where the wires actually go (easy on the Core Grafx). I put the ground to just below the DIN:

Actual amplifier inside the SCART...all done for you!

Quality image:

Torgo

I'm probably going to get my Suprgrafx modified in July with component out and L/R Audio out as well.

Also, my duo JUST got the audio issue, so I'm getting no sound at all :-(

I'm not good at soldering at all, so I'll be getting that fixed (and probably modded) at teh same time.

I could leave Devil Crash sitting at the title screen for ages, I love that theme.
I played a few PC Engine games this past weekend, and I'm looking forward to getting a couple more in the mail!

Fularu

Banned
Wallet style Core/cd combo represent

One of my oldest systems with the fondest memories

Scart modified too! (since I bought it in France :))

Yes Boss!

I could leave Devil Crash sitting at the title screen for ages, I love that theme.
I played a few PC Engine games this past weekend, and I'm looking forward to getting a couple more in the mail!

What games do you have coming?

I finally bought Legendary Axe PCE because of this thread but it is snail shipping and should arrive in a week. Can not wait to play it.

I'm going for this Namcot game next. Don't know anything about it but love the cover. It screams FUN!

I bought Legendary Axe PCE but it is snail shipping but should arrive in a week. Can not wait to play it.

Couple of Ninja games; Ninja Warriors and Ninja Spirit. Sure they're just inferior arcade ports, but I'm still looking forward to them.

I need to try Legendary Axe soon. I don't have any of the Bonk games either.

Yes Boss!

Couple of Ninja games; Ninja Warriors and Ninja Spirit. Sure they're just inferior arcade ports, but I'm still looking forward to them.

I need to try Legendary Axe soon. I don't have any of the Bonk games either.

I've never played the Arcade Ninja Spirit (did not even know it was an arcade game till a couple of years ago) but the port is definitely one of the top games. So epic.

Fularu

Banned

I finally bought Legendary Axe PCE because of this thread but it is snail shipping but should arrive in a week. Can not wait to play it.

I'm going for this Namcot game next. Don't know anything about it but love the cover. It screams FUN!

It's a "primitive" Pocky and Rocky but still prety fun

It was part of the Namco Classics line on PSone (on one of the volumes)

Mitsurux

Actually had a few friends who also owned a TG-16 back in the day. (Quite unheard of at the time).

System was great, but we didn't bother to much with importing... just getting any game was a big deal... (and information in general for that matter)

We play way to much of Andrae Panza Kickboxing, but it was just amazing.

(Also once my friend got the CD, we played way to much Last Alert, and could/would quote the dialog like crazy)

I got about 35 games mixed between Hu and CD (All US).

I went on a binge PC Engine CD game shopping spree about a year ago. And I don't even have a PC Engine. Spent maybe $500 on a bunch of games that have been sitting in my room. Lots of cool ones though, Snatcher, Rondo of Blood, Ys 1/2, 3, 4, Legend of Heroes 1, 2, a ton of Japanese RPGs, Might and Magic 1, 3, Record of Lodoss War 1,2 and a bunch of other ones I forgot.

This is me exactly about 7 years ago I bought turbo games like crazy but still don't have a duo. Really regret having lived in Japan for years and passing up 5000yen duo-r systems.

gryz

Banned
why exactly do people buy games for systems they don't even own? it bugs me when people collect games they have no intention of playing.

why exactly do people buy games for systems they don't even own? it bugs me when people collect games they have no intention of playing.

"grrr stop liking what i don't like"

whatever makes them happy.
take a chill pill man, there's plenty of games to go around.

Yes Boss!

We play way to much of Andrae Panza Kickboxing, but it was just amazing.

That game was great! Another great one was Loriciel's Davis Cup Tennis. One of the few western-produced games. Was my favorite tennis game till Mario Tennis and Virtua Tennis showed up.

MrKayle

I had a turbografx-16 as a kid. big influence on me. the games I had, with mini reviews:

* keith courage - somewhat mediocre platformer but it was "free" and had really interesting music/sfx
* legendary axe 2 - an insanely huge improvement over the first (which i rented and hated). a fun platformer with weapon upgrade system and dark/horror theme
* bonk's adventure - high quality platformer in most respects
* bonk's revenge - a very high quality piece of software. great graphics, great settings, great game
* blazing lazers - my favorite tg16 game. a wonderful shmup. major props to the person in here who owns the 1989 time attack contest version, that's a lot of fun as well

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Once I finish my DC collection and knock a few more off my SNES/SFC, FC, and Saturn lists I'm thinking I'll buy a Duo. Hopefully this fall. I'll be checking into this thread then for sure.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Cuz I'm gonna get the system eventually. Games are a lot harder to get a hold of, so you gotta strike while the iron's hot.

* legendary axe 2 - an insanely huge improvement over the first (which i rented and hated). a fun platformer with weapon upgrade system and dark/horror theme
Heh, this is contrary to what I always hear. People always wanna poo-poo the sequel. Then again it's mostly coming from people who enjoyed the first.

Shining

Owning a RGB moddd Duo-RX i'm having a hard time enjoying anything that isn't shmups or Chi no Rondo. Why is that? :s

Yes Boss!

Heh, this is contrary to what I always hear. People always wanna poo-poo the sequel. Then again it's mostly coming from people who enjoyed the first.

Second game is good but I reckon the preferred title is the one you played first. Second one just did not have the same feel. Kinda like the Actraiser syndrome.

DasDamen

Owning a RGB moddd Duo-RX i'm having a hard time enjoying anything that isn't shmups or Chi no Rondo. Why is that? :s

I've always thought that the extremely small ROM sizes of the HuCards just lent the PC Engine better to the SHMUP genre. If you think about it, a typical SHMUP is only 30 to 45 minutes long with approximately 7 stages of repeating backgrounds and/or black space.

Even with the CD-ROM games, the only thing that's really improved is the sound (and in at least the case of Daisenpu Custom, the graphics capabilities are limited even further utilizing the CD format).

Chi no Rondo definitely bucks the trend, though.

Edit: The SNK fighting games that require the Arcade Card Pro/Duo are also good, but if you have a Neo Geo or a Saturn, they're nothing but an interesting diversion.

Loved the TG-16. My first 16 bit system. Had it for year's....came home one day and my Step-Mom was having a yard sale. I saved my Gameboy and SNES but not my TG-16....Still would like to replace it some day with some of my fav titles.

yeah.. I'm just bitter that I forgot to get Dracula X in japan and now the prices are ridiculous haha

So glad my copy of Dracula X was part of my Christmas gift from my wife... best $110 package ever, Duo-R, Drac X and eh, Ninja Ryukenden ahaha

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
PC Engine CD is a goldmine for obscure, Japanese-only RPGs. The birth of the Tengai Makyo (Far East of Eden) series, the largest RPG franchise to (sadly) never get any kind of English release. Excepting the fighting game spinoff, Kabuki Klash.

Some of my favorite import RPGs:

-Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys - my favorite of all the "bump into enemies" Ys games. A full fan translation (and fan dub) exists of this.
-Emerald Dragon (there is a fan translation of the Super Famicom version, though a lot of people agree the PCE is the best, with its beautiful cinematics)
-Tengai Makyo: Ziria / Manjimaru - pretty traditional in gameplay, but the music is fantastic and was one of the first "big budget" CD-ROM RPGs. Games take place in a parody of historical Japan.
-Startling Odyssey 2 - one of the more technologically-advanced games for the console, fast-paced and almost reminds me of a Lufia type game. Very large overworld.
-Legend of Xanadu 2 - sidescrolling mixed with overhead RPGs, graphically the best looking RPG on the system, highly reminiscent of later-gen SNES games.

PC Engine CD is a goldmine for obscure, Japanese-only RPGs. The birth of the Tengai Makyo (Far East of Eden) series, the largest RPG franchise to (sadly) never get any kind of English release. Excepting the fighting game spinoff, Kabuki Klash.

Some of my favorite import RPGs:

-Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys - my favorite of all the "bump into enemies" Ys games. A full fan translation (and fan dub) exists of this.
-Emerald Dragon (there is a fan translation of the Super Famicom version, though a lot of people agree the PCE is the best, with its beautiful cinematics)
-Tengai Makyo: Ziria / Manjimaru - pretty traditional in gameplay, but the music is fantastic and was one of the first "big budget" CD-ROM RPGs. Games take place in a parody of historical Japan.
-Startling Odyssey 2 - one of the more technologically-advanced games for the console, fast-paced and almost reminds me of a Lufia type game. Very large overworld.
-Legend of Xanadu 2 - sidescrolling mixed with overhead RPGs, graphically the best looking RPG on the system, highly reminiscent of later-gen SNES games.

All awesome games there. You should try Anearth Fantasy Stories also, the PC engine version is the best in my opinion, one of my very favorite rpgs. I think it's fine to collect for systems that you don't own yet. I never had a Sega Cd but will buy games and play through an emulator for now (same with ps2 these days come to think of it, though I have several) I play turbo cd games in the cd add on but love those duo machines. I would love the duo-r

Yes Boss!

Manji Maru was definitely my favorite CD RPG on the system...because of all the extended graphical animations and the Joe Hisaishi score. Second favorite were Cosmic Fantasy 1-3. Somehow I beat them all not knowing a bit of Japanese and no internet for help. I downloaded Xiria to my PSP a few years back...but my patience for going through an untranslated RPG is not the same today, so never played it. Ziria felt like a Hu card on CD, anyways.

A long time ago I wanted one of the Japanese RGB modded copies being sold online. Now? I'm pretty scared of buying such an old system after my Super Famicom has been having tons of color issues and the CD reader in the original PC Engine is probably less than reliable.

Hopefully Sony gets more of the ancient JRPGs up there. It really seems like PC Engine was in some weird time warp with FMV before FMV, voicework, etc.

Shining

I've always thought that the extremely small ROM sizes of the HuCards just lent the PC Engine better to the SHMUP genre. If you think about it, a typical SHMUP is only 30 to 45 minutes long with approximately 7 stages of repeating backgrounds and/or black space.

Even with the CD-ROM games, the only thing that's really improved is the sound (and in at least the case of Daisenpu Custom, the graphics capabilities are limited even further utilizing the CD format).

Chi no Rondo definitely bucks the trend, though.

Edit: The SNK fighting games that require the Arcade Card Pro/Duo are also good, but if you have a Neo Geo or a Saturn, they're nothing but an interesting diversion.
Yeah, i guess that makes sense. But even good quality platformers like the Bonk games feels a bit.. off. I do have an Arcade Card Pro (mostly used for the 2nd print version of Sapphire, lol) so i will definitely check out the SNK games, thanks. Speaking of Arcade Card games, it really is a shame that Strider got such a bad port. The soundtrack is awesome though.

NEC PC Engine LT by dcmaster, on Flickr

The OP is missing a section on this beauty The PC Engine LT. Really expensive and too rich for me, they were selling for $500 or so complete last time I checked

Found this one 2 years ago at a UK car boot sale (Flea market) for £5! That was a lucky day.

I've owned a PC Engine since the early 90's and have a large selection of games, it was great for arcade conversions of games that were not converted to other systems. In some cases the conversions were better of Sega games than they were on Sega on consoles.

Can't really go wrong with any of the Namco or Konami games, it's a great console for shumps too. Nowadays with perfect conversion of arcade games on other systems it's lost that edge but there are still a lot of great original titles.

Make sure you get extra pad and the multi player adapter as there are a load of great multiplayer games beyond Bomberman. I have fond memories of Motoroader.

DasDamen

A long time ago I wanted one of the Japanese RGB modded copies being sold online. Now? I'm pretty scared of buying such an old system after my Super Famicom has been having tons of color issues and the CD reader in the original PC Engine is probably less than reliable.

Hopefully Sony gets more of the ancient JRPGs up there. It really seems like PC Engine was in some weird time warp with FMV before FMV, voicework, etc.

If you buy from doujindance on eBay, he typically mods TurobDuo-Rs with RGB, a region switch, and a new lens.

He usually only sells one at a time though (days apart), so you'll have to constantly check his listing.

Jesus. PCE LT for £5? That's the find of a lifetime (well except for that one guy who got a Sega Jupiter prototype for $1 lol)

I was thinking about a PCE LT at one point, but considering the expense and how early the LCD tech was I have given up. Apparently most of them suffer from dead pixels, and the resolution isn't even as high as the lowest native PCE resolution.

Does anyone have an RGB mod tutorial for an Interface Unit?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Such a fantastic system. My only games so far are Winds of Thunder, Cotton, Ys 1-4, Popful Mail and Snatcher CD-ROMantic. No system yet but Ootake works great for now. :)
The Duo is probably my next purchase whenever I'm in the mood to buy some hardware. SuperGrafx+CD-ROM2 remains the most ridiculous looking thing in the history of videogame consoles.

Celine

Second game is good but I reckon the preferred title is the one you played first. Second one just did not have the same feel. Kinda like the Actraiser syndrome.
Doesn't help the two games are unrelated (the second was rebranded as LA2 for marketing purpose).

Actraiser 2 was "only" an action game because that's what Enix America asked for.

If you buy from doujindance on eBay, he typically mods TurobDuo-Rs with RGB, a region switch, and a new lens.

He usually only sells one at a time though (days apart), so you'll have to constantly check his listing.

Yeah, that's the seller I'm talking about. I used to see RGB models regularly, but every time I've checked back on his store I haven't seen him selling anything. I messaged him once about it and got some message back about not messaging him during Japanese national holidays. Couldn't you have just waited to respond to me until after? Geez.

In Soul Calibur II Namco had an unlockable bonus outfit for Cassandra that referenced Legend of Valkyrie

djsnd.jpg

I remember fondly my first Super CD game back when I had the TG16+CD combo. I was so excited to play Macross 2036 since I was a huge Robotech fan. However, there was a shortage of SCD cards from mailorder sites so it was hard to get one. I was kinda crushed that I wouldn't be able to play Macross without a card. However, I ended up ordering the game ($100 iirc) before the card and put it in just for the hell of it.

Imagine my amazement when I put the game into the regular TGCD and it worked great. Apparently it was one of few SCD games that would play in regular TGCDs without the need of a SCD card. The only thing you wouldn't get were these tiny voice interludes withing the stages. I didn't end up getting the card until like 5 months later, so you can imagine how awesome this was as a young gamer. Didn't work so well for Browning though. But that introduced me to the amazing world of SCD warning messages.

Fantastic Macross game as well. Felt a lot like Area 88 from Capcom. Probably my most beloved title.

Jesus. PCE LT for £5? That's the find of a lifetime (well except for that one guy who got a Sega Jupiter prototype for $1 lol)

I was thinking about a PCE LT at one point, but considering the expense and how early the LCD tech was I have given up. Apparently most of them suffer from dead pixels, and the resolution isn't even as high as the lowest native PCE resolution.

Mine seems pretty much unsued, there's no dead pixels either. I'd say the screen is much better than the GT but not worth it for the price they sell for.

I remember fondly my first Super CD game back when I had the TG16+CD combo. I was so excited to play Macross 2036 since I was a huge Robotech fan. However, there was a shortage of SCD cards from mailorder sites so it was hard to get one. I was kinda crushed that I wouldn't be able to play Macross without a card. However, I ended up ordering the game ($100 iirc) before the card and put it in just for the hell of it.

Imagine my amazement when I put the game into the regular TGCD and it worked great. Apparently it was one of few SCD games that would play in regular TGCDs without the need of a SCD card. The only thing you wouldn't get were these tiny voice interludes withing the stages. I didn't end up getting the card until like 5 months later, so you can imagine how awesome this was as a young gamer. Didn't work so well for Browning though. But that introduced me to the amazing world of SCD warning messages.

Fantastic Macross game as well. Felt a lot like Area 88 from Capcom. Probably my most beloved title.
Terraforming is another game like that... claims to be a Super CD game, but actually it also works on a regular CD system, with only minor downgrades.

IrishNinja

how did i miss this thread?
my buddy had a turbo-CD, so i got to get kicked in the balls experience Cosmic Fantasy 2 in the day...i hit him up a while back hoping to recover all that, turns out he sold another friend the CD part just to use for music, no idea what happened after that. sucks!

and of course duos are crazy expensive. this is high on my list of garage sale hopefuls, here.

I really want to get a turboduo one day.

Right now I have a CIB tg16, with jj and Jeff, Keith courage, alien crush, bonk 2, and legendary axe

Top Bottom