• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

gryz

Banned
Well, the seller does the bleaching/retrobrite thing on them. Which is fine by me since the system looks awesome and I don't think I'd have the willpower to do such a thing. Though, I'm considering it on my big Saturn HSS-0130 stick.

ah maybe i should have tried that, I used magic eraser to get rid of the big scuffs and now some areas are slightly shinier than others

mr stroke

Got my DUO-R in. RGB-ready. A big thanks to this thread for pushing me. I had planned to pick one up next march when I head back to tokyo for shopping but getting one all region-modded and RGB-ready is plenty fine for the additional expense now. Now I just need the games. Ordered Lords as my break-in and it should be here shortly.

Wow, that is in pristine condition. How much did it cost you and did it come with the orignal box?

Yes Boss!

Wow, that is in pristine condition. How much did it cost you and did it come with the orignal box?

Prices are all over the board from this eBay seller. Usually start at about $200 and go to $300 depending on what has been modded/included. Plus $50-70 for EMS. This one was $330 delivered. But it also has an S-video mod and switch. Kinda useless for me, the S-video, but I wanted one with the actual DUO-R controller. A bit pricey, but when you consider all the mods and extra cables included is pretty decent.

wondermega

Got my DUO-R in. RGB-ready. A big thanks to this thread for pushing me. I had planned to pick one up next march when I head back to tokyo for shopping but getting one all region-modded and RGB-ready is plenty fine for the additional expense now. Now I just need the games. Ordered Lords as my break-in and it should be here shortly.

looks amazing. why can't game systems look like this anymore. go to hell xbone :(

Celine

How does PC engine Duo R connect to TV (output)?

How much have you paid for it?

EDIT:
Just saw you already respond above.

Soup Bar

I knew somebody who had this.

w3YjRbq.jpg

I swear it was rare when it was new, and it can run you some serious cash now.

I remember when people complained about how the PS2 only had 2 controller ports. Well they never played a TurboGrafix before. First time I ever played Ys was when it was a pack in game for the Turbo Duo. That thing came with like 6 games out of the box, if you include Bomberman which was a hidden game on the Gates of Thunder/Bonk disc.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I knew somebody who had this.

w3YjRbq.jpg

I swear it was rare when it was new, and it can run you some serious cash now.

I remember when people complained about how the PS2 only had 2 controller ports. Well they never played a TurboGrafix before. First time I ever played Ys was when it was a pack in game for the Turbo Duo. That thing came with like 6 games out of the box, if you include Bomberman which was a hidden game on the Gates of Thunder/Bonk disc.

The LaserActive is probably the coolest piece of garbage in all of videogames.

Yes Boss!

Laseractive was not too hard to find when it came out...just so damn expensive with the different modules. I never knew anybody who ever bought one.

Celine

What's the best Valis on PCengine?

What are some good but cheap game for the Duo?

Chiki Chiki Boys, Mystic Formula, Ane san all looks a bit expensive...

Yes Boss!

What's the best Valis on PCengine?

What are some good but cheap game for the Duo?

Chiki Chiki Boys, Mystic Formation, Ane san, SCHBIBIN MAN 3 all looks a bit expensive...

Best Valis is II for me.

Chiki Chiki Boys looks very good. That is up on PSN so I'm gonna try it there first.

Fairly inexpensive and one of my absolute favorites is Pomping World (Buster Bros.) in the west.

Danny Dudekisser

I've actually been on the fence about the Valis games (3, 4, and the remake of one) for years now. Dunno how well they actually play, though... all I know is that there's girls and they inadvertently show you their panties sometimes.

Which is okay with me.

Celine

So apparently I will soon join the club.
Yesterday I "won" a Duo-R on ebay, hopes everything works right.

Close tie for 3 and 4 love both
Best Valis is II for me.
From the videos I've watched it seems to me:
I (remake)= III > IV > II

I looked into the pc engine library and here a small list of games (not available on western VC) that seems interesting:

CD (no arcade card)

Valis I,III
Last Alive/Alert (overhead shooter ala Smash TV)
Mystic Formula (overhead shooter)
Fausette Amour
Shape Shifter
Conan future boy (platform game based on the beloved Miyazaki character)
Flash Hiders
Asuka 120% (best original fighting game on the system?)
Shubibinman (Shockman) 2, 3 (2 looks like a Megaman game while in 3 the hero use a short range weapon)
Dragon Ball Z: Idainaru Son Goku Densetsu (for fans of the manga, really good presentation)
Ane San (a scrolling beat em up with females as protagonists)
Bakushou Yoshimoto Shinkigeki (a crazy platform game filled with japanese humor, too bad some part of it require to understand the language)
Renny Blaster (Sidescrolling beat 'em up)
Fray (sort of Kiki KaiKai)
Double Dragon II (best version?)

HuCard

Legendary Axe (can't wait to play it!)
Tiger Road
Liquid Kids (Good port of a cool platform game by Taito. So damn expensive ;_;)
Raiden (there is also a even better CD version)
Gekisa boy (curious game where you need to take photos to score more points)
Aoi Blink

Yes Boss!

From the videos I've watched it seems to me:
I (remake)= III > IV > II

III is likely better than II, yes. But II is special in my heart because it is really the one where the CD format title set the stage. I have trouble remembering IV.

They are all good, though. I was the biggest Valis fan back in the day. I fully plan on picking them all back up.

I'm actually considering picking up the MD titles now that I'll be able to see them in RGB. The franchise is all about the music so the cart versions just are sub-par, imho.

Bar81

I forgot about the Duo-R; it's almost as gorgeous as the Core Grafx II/Super CD-ROM2 combo. However, the RGB mod puts it over the top - I had to order one. Can't wait.

I've actually been on the fence about the Valis games (3, 4, and the remake of one) for years now. Dunno how well they actually play, though... all I know is that there's girls and they inadvertently show you their panties sometimes.

Which is okay with me.

The actual gameplay in the series is alright, but (in my opinion at least) not great. The games are platform-action games which rely very heavily on memorization, as the enemies constantly attack you from all sides, and you have to either react very quickly to kill them before they hit you, or memorize it as you replay the levels over and over. Yeah, they're not exactly my favorite games... they're okay, but not great.

III is likely better than II, yes. But II is special in my heart because it is really the one where the CD format title set the stage. I have trouble remembering IV.

They are all good, though. I was the biggest Valis fan back in the day. I fully plan on picking them all back up.

I'm actually considering picking up the MD titles now that I'll be able to see them in RGB. The franchise is all about the music so the cart versions just are sub-par, imho.

Dat Yuko sprite

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Fausette Amour

This game looks cool but is really quite bad. :(

Ane San (a scrolling beat em up with females as protagonists)

The best way to describe this is that it's SORT of like a beat-em-up take on Cho Aniki but with female gang members instead of muscle dudes. It's not nearly as ridiculous but has a really offbeat sense of humor, which helps it stand out, because as a beat-em-up it's quite average.

Double Dragon II (best version?)

I just discovered this a few weeks ago, and yeah, it's very good. Excellent soundtrack too.

Yes Boss!

The actual gameplay in the series is alright, but (in my opinion at least) not great. The games are platform-action games which rely very heavily on memorization, as the enemies constantly attack you from all sides, and you have to either react very quickly to kill them before they hit you, or memorize it as you replay the levels over and over. Yeah, they're not exactly my favorite games... they're okay, but not great.

For me it was always the mind-blowing soundtracks combined with the speaking bosses. that was very fun at the time. I mean, the music is some of the best on the PCE, right up there with Ys. They are clunky, and there is surprisingy little parallax. They have dated a bit but are by no means a chore. When Yuko gets her armor in I it is a fantastic gaming experience. Plus, I like her squeek when she gets hit.

Danny Dudekisser

Holy moley at Gulliver Boy HuVideo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19XdGJh6Znc

Yeah, Kaze Kiri should be better (but monotonous?).
Since I'm looking into the pc engine library I thought it could be helpful for others if I listed the games that seemed interesting.

Still waiting for my Duo-R.

Kaze Kiri always looked pretty cool, but those who have played it keep insisting that it's really, really repetitive. I should probably skip that one...

For me it was always the mind-blowing soundtracks combined with the speaking bosses. that was very fun at the time. I mean, the music is some of the best on the PCE, right up there with Ys. They are clunky, and there is surprisingy little parallax. They have dated a bit but are by no means a chore. When Yuko gets her armor in I it is a fantastic gaming experience. Plus, I like her squeek when she gets hit.

Nothing you say here is about the gameplay, though. :p

Kaze Kiri always looked pretty cool, but those who have played it keep insisting that it's really, really repetitive. I should probably skip that one...
No way, Kaze Kiri's good! Kind of short, particularly considering its price, but good.

That Duo-R is nice!

Shining

I'd really like some tips on good top-down racing games on the system. I already have Motoroader MC and i'm looking for more of the same kind. Any recommendations?

Celine

I'd really like some tips on good top-down racing games on the system. I already have Motoroader MC and i'm looking for more of the same kind. Any recommendations?
Not the same as Motoroader MC but F1 Circus is highly regarded by fans but it is hard and need lots of practice.

Bar81

This game looks cool but is really quite bad. :(

Totally agree. The art and everything looks so good, but then you actually play Faussete Amour and it's total garbage.

I just discovered this a few weeks ago, and yeah, it's very good. Excellent soundtrack too.

Also agreed. I'm not quite sure why I sold it when I had the great collection purge/trim about 10 years ago but this thread resulted me in buying a new copy as I love me some beat-em-ups.

Uh... do you have the two HuCard Moto Roader games? I mean, racing games in general are a pretty serious weakness on the TG16, and top-down ones even more so. Other than the Moto Roader games and a handful of F1 games like those F1 Circus games that were mentioned, I don't know if there's anything else really.

Even in behind-the-car racing, the system is quite weak, particularly in CD games... I mean, Victory Run, Outrun, and Power Drift are good, but HuCard. CD? Uh... Road Spirits has a nice soundtrack, but is bland and uninteresting. And is there anything else? Some F1 games I guess, but I haven't played any of them.

Agree. Do not deprive yourself of Kaze Kiri; it's fantastic. The amount of moves programmed into two buttons is amazing.
Yeah. The graphics are very good too, but so is the move variety and action.

Shining

Uh... do you have the two HuCard Moto Roader games? I mean, racing games in general are a pretty serious weakness on the TG16, and top-down ones even more so. Other than the Moto Roader games and a handful of F1 games like those F1 Circus games that were mentioned, I don't know if there's anything else really.

Even in behind-the-car racing, the system is quite weak, particularly in CD games... I mean, Victory Run, Outrun, and Power Drift are good, but HuCard. CD? Uh... Road Spirits has a nice soundtrack, but is bland and uninteresting. And is there anything else? Some F1 games I guess, but I haven't played any of them.
I've only tried those on emus a few years back and didn't quite like the gameplay. Maybe i should give them another go. I guess i was hoping for some hidden racing gems or something :)

I'm thinking of selling my US TG16 and games if anyone is interested. I'll post some pics later but i thought id gauge some interest first...

I've only tried those on emus a few years back and didn't quite like the gameplay. Maybe i should give them another go. I guess i was hoping for some hidden racing gems or something :)

The two are very different, you know. The first Moto Roader is kind of frustrating; you really need to both learn the tracks, and memorize the correct upgrade tree, in order to compete.

The second one has some similarities, but it abandons the first games' circuits in favor of tracks where you're always driving upwards. Makes for a different game, maybe more fun than the first one.

Mitsurux

Last Alert looks pretty fun, so does Bloody Wolf.

Last Alert is a really good game, lots of little touches like how the main chracters outfit changes over the course of the game, the awesome cut-scense between levels, and the voice acting of the Bosses (classic).....

not to mention leveling up to get access to new weapons, large levels, some featuring objectives, and great music etc.

Just got this bad boy from eBay
$T2eC16J,!)cE9s4PsNKSBRozkI8jww~~60_35.JPG

$250 +$50 for power supply and composite cable

I've never played super cd-rom game before so I was very excited. Then I loaded Lord of Thunder in. Kabooom! The sound, man, DAT sound! The music is so good from my crappy crt and the game is so much fun. This is 16 bit machine at its finest.

Yes Boss!

I always considered it 8-Bit+ just as I consider the Neo Geo 16-Bit+. Once thing is for certain, the PC-Engine has a rank-ass 8-Bit sounding music chip. Sound Effects on the system can be rough. Still, PCE is squarely parr of the 16-Bit generation, nobody can disagree with that.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Yeah, Kaze Kiri should be better (but monotonous?).

Kaze Kiri is monotonous if you go into it expecting an action-platformer like Strider, because there's no real level design to speak of. But if you approach it like a beat-em-up, then it's just fine - the mechanics are solid, it's fast, and it controls very well. So in other words, if you can play a typical Final Fight-type game from start to finish, then you'll be just fine with Kaze Kiri.

Noogy

I always considered it 8-Bit+ just as I consider the Neo Geo 16-Bit+. Once thing is for certain, the PC-Engine has a rank-ass 8-Bit sounding music chip. Sound Effects on the system can be rough. Still, PCE is squarely parr of the 16-Bit generation, nobody can disagree with that.

All of my favorite music of that generation came from the TG-16/Duo. Of course much of that coming from the redbook audio didn't hurt, but sample quality aside, I just loved the compositions. I've yet to play a military game with themes as awesome as Bloody Wolf.

Celine

Well, technically 8-bit, but who's counting? :p
8bit or not it was the dominant CD based system in Japan until PS1 and Saturn.
The CD addon and later Duo revision were so successful that there are more titles on CD than on HuCard.

All of my favorite music of that generation came from the TG-16/Duo. Of course much of that coming from the redbook audio didn't hurt, but sample quality aside, I just loved the compositions. I've yet to play a military game with themes as awesome as Bloody Wolf.
Obligatory citation Tatsujin.

Top Bottom