• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

MattyG

Banned
Just a heads up, if you're watching Greg's stream right now and you want to talk about what's going on in his playthrough, don't forget to use spoiler tags!

Does anyone know how I can tie my Patreon Kinda Funny account to Twitch? I see other backers have special emoticons and a little kindafunny logo beside their name but I don't

Does anyone know how I can tie my Patreon Kinda Funny account to Twitch? I see other backers have special emoticons and a little kindafunny logo beside their name but I don't

That's something else I think. It's a Twitch thing. You can subscribe to Twitch channels typically for $5/month giving you the ability to participate in subscriber only chat rooms, have special images (in the case the KF logo) next to your user name, and exclusive use of emoticons. Many of the major Twitch channels do this. It just does not seem worth it (not just for them, but any Twitch channel).

That's something else I think. It's a Twitch thing. You can subscribe to Twitch channels typically for $5/month giving you the ability to participate in subscriber only chat rooms, have special images (in the case the KF logo) next to your user name, and exclusive use of emoticons. Many of the major Twitch channels do this. It just does not seem worth it (not just for them, but any Twitch channel).

Ah ok yeah you're right. I'm already backing them on both Patreons, don't really think I need to subscribe to their Twitch channel too.

Thanks for clearing it up

Ah ok yeah you're right. I'm already backing them on both Patreons, don't really think I need to subscribe to their Twitch channel too.

Thanks for clearing it up

I hope one day they get big enough where they can hire someone to design their own streaming software, sort of like how the CBSi sites (Giant Bomb/GameSpot) have their own. They would have full control and also would not have to worry about if Twitch doesn't like what they are streaming. I remember people worrying that Twitch might shut down their Criminal Girls stream. And of course Greg always loves to take his shirt off. Twitch now has policies for stuff like that, even if you're male.

ironmang

A devil's advocate is golden to any discussion so I very much welcome such additude. Where hi sentiment came from is another matter, but in general I think he's doing more than fine and balances out Greg & Colin, which is a good thing. Especially Colin tends to voice his strong opinion in such a definitive matter, that that runs the risk of becoming tiresome on its own at some point.

I agree. It definitely makes for better listening when there are disagreements and they need to expand on their general opinion of for/against.

MattyG

Banned
Greg's still going on The Walking Dead stream. Last I saw (about an hour or two ago) he was just starting S2E3. Jesus.

ironmang

Greg's still going on The Walking Dead stream. Last I saw (about an hour or two ago) he was just starting S2E3. Jesus.

I haven't played through any of them but I'm really surprised it's taking this long. He started yesterday about 20 minutes after G&C live right?

MattyG

Banned
I haven't played through any of them but I'm really surprised it's taking this long. He started yesterday about 20 minutes after G&C live right?
Yeah. I think he might've finished a few minutes ago or is about to. I haven't played Season 2, but I think Season 1 took me about 7.5-10 hours (it's been a while, can't remember for sure), with 400 Days taking about 2 hours. He might've taken a couple small breaks to eat or something too.

Choomp

Banned

Looks like it's ending now. A shame I didn't get to see it, looked like fun and Greg deserves a lot of credit for doing a stream of that nature.

What a pleasant surprise!

I vehemently disagree that Resogun is the best title on the PS4... but Colin does love his twin stick shooters.

Yeah, I love Resogun and I may not have even given it a chance without Colin's constant promotion of the game at launch, but I'm starting to get to the point of rolling my eyes every time he starts championing it being PS4's best game. Its gameplay is probably second to none on the console but there just isn't enough meat on the bones for me to say it's the best game on PS4.

I just finished watching the Super Metroid Book Club video from Feb 6th, and they mentioned doing a Castlevania book club "next week". Does anyone know if that happened already? I can't find the video for it.

MattyG

Banned
I just finished watching the Super Metroid Book Club video from Feb 6th, and they mentioned doing a Castlevania book club "next week". Does anyone know if that happened already? I can't find the video for it.
They mentioned it in yesteday's Gamescast. It's Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Looks like we'll be getting some more history of Colin

@KindaFunnyVids 8 minutes ago

It's official. @NamonRarvaez -- @notaxation's best friend from college and the source of a million stories -- will be on GOGS next month.

The regular Gamescast also posted. It was about Persona 5.

Edit- Also, the new era of Podcast Beyond has officially started. Podcast Beyond: Episode 382- a Long Discussion about Short Games is now available (Edit 2- with a new intro!). Hosts are Marty Sliva, Max Scoville, Brian Altano, and Jared Petty. Edit 3- Unsurprisingly, there seems to be a lack of energy. I'll chalk that up to the fact that this is their first episode. It'll take time to hit their groove. I'm not sure, though, if I'll continue with the podcast. I have so many I listen to already.

mdubs

Banned
I would be interested in seeing audience numbers on:

Podcast Beyond 381 vs 382.

Podcast Beyond 382 vs. Today's KF Playstation Gamescast.

Too bad we can never know.

I would be interested in seeing audience numbers on:

Podcast Beyond 381 vs 382.

Podcast Beyond 382 vs. Today's KF Playstation Gamescast.

Too bad we can never know.

Unfortunately for Marty and co. I think a large chunk of the Beyond audience was merely just a Colin/Greg fanbase and community, and not all that loyal to the actual "IGN's Playstation Podcast" portion of it.

I do hope they manage to make their own identity and retain the legacy of Beyond but I can't see it ever maintaining its popularity.

Unfortunately for Marty and co. I think a large chunk of the Beyond audience was merely just a Colin/Greg fanbase and community, and not all that loyal to the actual "IGN's Playstation Podcast" portion of it.

I do hope they manage to make their own identity and retain the legacy of Beyond but I can't see it ever maintaining its popularity.

If they want to maintain a consistent audience, I'd advise them to use Brian Altano as often as possible. He and Max Scoville play well off of each other. Not a surprise, since they do another podcast together called The Comedy Button. Their humorous exchanges could keep people coming (or away, if their humor is not for you). Listening right now, their Keaunu Reeves in Dracula bit was quite funny.

mdubs

Banned

I agree. Like I enjoy Playstation even though I'm primarily an Xbox guy but I loved Beyond and only sparingly listened to Unlocked because of how much I like Greg and Colin.

If anything KFG is perfect for me because we get coverage of everything now. I will be listening to Beyond for at least the next couple episodes to give Marty and crew a chance though.

Choomp

Banned

You're right. When it comes to IGN at this point I'll just be listening to NVC. Colin and Greg were the heart and soul of the podcast to me and once they started Conversation with Colin and Greg's YouTube channel they added more of an identity to their personal brand, which was popular enough, and I loved it.

Yeah, I love Resogun and I may not have even given it a chance without Colin's constant promotion of the game at launch, but I'm starting to get to the point of rolling my eyes every time he starts championing it being PS4's best game. Its gameplay is probably second to none on the console but there just isn't enough meat on the bones for me to say it's the best game on PS4.
I found it hard to disagree with him mainly because I couldn't think of anything else I'd put over it.

Anyways, I loved Colin's PS1 list.

mdubs

Banned
Well there it is
B-Gm6MQCQAA54fH.jpg:large

a916

Same here. I really did enjoy it, but I have a different opinion on what the best game is for the PS4.

Me personally? I don't think there's a stand alone, ahead of it's competitors, PS4 title (unless we're including ports but they weren't)

Donthizz#

Love the guys on the new podcast beyond, but that show today was terrible. It will eventually turn into a just another video game talk show.

Hopefully Greg and Colin will start a weekly PlayStation podcast. fingers crossed.

Love the guys on the new podcast beyond, but that show today was terrible. It will eventually turn into a just another video game talk show.

Hopefully Greg and Colin will start a weekly PlayStation podcast. fingers crossed.

Yeah I actually was surprised how much I liked Max, and of course Marty and Brian are always great. Jared's good too but I disagree with him on a lot of stuff.

It didn't feel like it had much flow, but part of that is gonna be finding their own identity I think.

I'll keep tuning in for now and try and give them a chance to get their footing.

Donthizz#

Yeah I actually was surprised how much I liked Max, and of course Marty and Brian are always great. Jared's good too but I disagree with him on a lot of stuff.

It didn't feel like it had much flow, but part of that is gonna be finding their own identity I think.

I'll keep tuning in for now and try and give them a chance to get their footing.

Yeah I feel for these guys, hopefully they will get in together.

When Max said he had no idea who Roper was, that was a very sad moment. At least for me. It's never going to be the same :(

I liked it. It was different. Max said himself in the beginning that he'd rather wipe the slate clean than try to act like he has a connection to segments he knows nothing about. I can respect them wanting to do a new thing. Plus the "I bet you never seen this many Zeroes on a check before" joke was awesome.

The fact that they discussed the best PSP game and barely talked about Birth by Sleep is a travesty. Game is easily one of the best, if not the best, games on the system. Keep fighting the good fight Tim.

I found it hard to disagree with him mainly because I couldn't think of anything else I'd put over it.

Anyways, I loved Colin's PS1 list.

Yeah I kind of agree. Infamous Second Son is the only game I would put above Resogun since I enjoyed it more. Colin and Greg definitely don't like Second Son as much as they like Infamous 1 & 2, though, where I think Second Son is the best in the series...so I recognize the disconnect there.

I got a kick out of their PS1 lists...they all had such different answers. I've never been too into RPGs, so Colin's list doesn't jive with mine as much as Tim's. My PS1 favorites are more along the lines of...

- Crash Bandicoot 1-3
- Crash Team Racing
- Syphon Filter
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1-2
- Metal Gear Solid
- Twisted Metal
- Jet Moto 1-3

Same here. I really did enjoy it, but I have a different opinion on what the best game is for the PS4.

Me personally? I don't think there's a stand alone, ahead of it's competitors, PS4 title (unless we're including ports but they weren't)

Right...The Last of Us Remastered is the best PS4 game in my opinion, but they ruled that out in their list (and named it their top PS3 game of all time). Like I said above though, I think Second Son inches out Resogun for me.

Podcast Beyond was good for the first episode.

I liked it too! I figured the smart play would be to pair Max and Brian together since they already have a strong rapport from The Comedy Button. I also like Marty a lot as he seems to really enjoy all kinds of games across every platform. The episode definitely could've used a bit more structure (something Greg and Colin had a long time to perfect) but, obviously, everyone is still finding their "role" in that group. I also wonder if the Beyond audience will shrink a bit with hosts that don't eat/sleep/breathe PlayStation as much as Greg and Colin did, but as long as they're providing a fun chat about games every week, I'll still tune in!

I'm also curious if they'll keep Jared in the lineup full time or if they're planning on having an "Ever Rotating Fourth Chair." Jared seems like one of the nicest people in the industry and I really like his take on games, but I also love how silly the other's can get and sometimes Jared doesn't always find his way into those conversations or "bits." To be fair, he's never been a "regular" on a podcast before so he could just be finding his stride.

No matter what happens next, it seems like Beyond is in good hands at least!

Don't know if this is the right place to post about it, but I'm listening to the first Beyond episode without Colin and Greg and they're doing pretty good. Fairly relaxed, good humoured - better than I expected. I don't think anything will top what the two former hosts brought to the podcast, but I'd say all in all it's in safe hands.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Don't know if this is the right place to post about it, but I'm listening to the first Beyond episode without Colin and Greg and they're doing pretty good. Fairly relaxed, good humoured - better than I expected. I don't think anything will top what the two former hosts brought to the podcast, but I'd say all in all it's in safe hands.

new-nintendo-3iuiuds2ruat.png

Yeah I got about half way through it this morning before I had to leave for work. I'm glad Brian and Jared are there, they were always my top choices to take over for Clements and Goldfarb. Max seems like a good fit too. I hope they keep a lot of the traditions going, at least the Roper Report and the The Andrew Goldfarb Memorial List of Upcoming PlayStation software on all three platforms by the IGN Editors (dododo do do!).

Karu

Mhm, I thought the new Beyond episode was good. Colin & Greg's felt sometimes way to structured.

One complain though regarding the game length discussion: It's not per se about the quality of a game, but the length in relation to the price. Rregardless of what the outcome of that discussion might be, it's essential to at least get the core of both arguments right. Also the movie/game comparison by Max made no sense and would fall apart had there been someone present who would call him out on it. (This is probably the most frustrating part of listening to other people discuss things, that "your" voice could be neither part of the discussion or no one represents that corner)

I was very happy, that Greg played devil's advocate there on today's Coling & Greg (fantastic episode by the way).

Top Bottom