• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Community Thread: Cuteness Is Justice, Ninjas Are Life

neohwa

first of all, calling the Fist of the North star musous good is highly questionable.

There are few traditional modern beat-em ups on the market, I'll take what I can get.

Why cant I play NG, Tekken and DOA as well as SK? why do I have to chose one or the other?

It plays well, and it's fun.

and boobs.

Fist of the North Star Musou games are awesome if SK is good. Unlike Fist of the North Star, clothbreaking in SK are always in the same 2 places which gets old in the 3rd match. also the clothbreaking animation is highly annoying because it's unskippable and it interrupts the flow of gameplay and combos.

Way too many improvements to be made in SK. They should instead make a new Toshinden imo.

joe2187

Banned
Fist of the North Star Musou games are awesome if SK is good. Unlike Fist of the North Star, clothbreaking in SK are always in the same 2 places which gets old in the 3rd match. also the clothbreaking animation is highly annoying because it's unskippable and it interrupts the flow of gameplay and combos.

Way too many improvements to be made in SK. They should instead make a new Toshinden imo.

You can skip all the clothes breaking scenes with the push of any button.

Sevyne

So did you come in here just to shit up the thread or something? I don't get what you are trying to accomplish here.

And you can skip the cloth breaking btw.

neohwa

I play them for the girls and comedy

I disagree about the selection in Tekken, Soul Calibur, and DOA being better

but even if I didn't disagree i'm not so strapped for time or money that I only have to pick the "superior" series

NGB is my favorite action game but if I only stuck to "the best" i'd never have played MGR, Splatterhouse 2010, GoW 2, or even NG2

and that would have been a damn shame

I agree that's why I've been playing the series too, just not sure what people find that's great in them.

btw is the cooking game digital only? can't find it anywhere in retail.

neohwa

Well those are your opinions (ones that not everyone shares with you), but it would be appreciated if you didn't make it sound like a fact.

Also, why does anybody have to choose between those and this? Do you only play 1 game of a genre and that's it or something?

never said those are facts, just my opinions and asking for other people's opinions.

so besides playing every single game in the genre, what's the point to play SK?

Sevyne

never said those are facts, just my opinions and asking for other people's opinions.

so besides playing every single game in the genre, what's the point to play SK?

The same reason I play any video games, or games of any kind; To have fun. Does there need to be any other reason? It's a fun game with fun characters, fun dialogue, and so on. Ya don't need to put every video game under a microscope and dissect it.

neohwa

You can skip all the clothes breaking scenes with the push of any button.

I know that, but that stop the flow of the gameplay and combos like I said. That's a big No No in an action beat-em-up. You should be able to turn off all clothbreaking animation, as it should be an easy task for the developer.

So did you come in here just to shit up the thread or something? I don't get what you are trying to accomplish here.

And you can skip the cloth breaking btw.

so the thread must be all praising and sugarcoating the games? any kind of criticism is not allowed?

ShinMaruku

mAQ2T9e.jpg

Katsuragi still best Senran

Long live her boobies in particular.

Sevyne

I know that, but that stop the flow of the gameplay and combos like I said. That's a big No No in an action beat-em-up. You should be able to turn off all clothbreaking animation, as it should be an easy task for the developer.

so the thread must be all praising and sugarcoating the games? any kind of criticism is not allowed?

Criticism is one thing, but you weren't really being very constructive about it. You were just saying x game is better than y, and that they should instead work on an almost completely unrelated to the topic game.

ShinMaruku

Sure some of the girls would be fun to make children with, but which ones would be best to rear them?
Yozakura is banned

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Legit question: Why play these games when you have vastly superior beat-em-up games like the Musou and Ninja Gaiden games? If you like the cloth breaking mechanics then Fist of the North Star Musou games are much more impressive than these.

If you're going for the girls, then the Tekken, Soul Calibur, and DOA selections are much better. Actually all the Musou games' girls are much better. Not to mention all those PC games that will be unnamed that you can get elsewhere are much better........

If you like the anime girls talking about some stuff as a plot, then Final Fantasy, Tales, Atelier games are better. Even Hyperdimension are better and more funny.

So what is the appeal of this series?

This really isn't a legitimate question at all. The series might not be for you, but you're comparing completely different genres with completely different aesthetics. You're being really silly with your assertions that these other games are somehow a replacement for Senran Kagura. You're suggesting that these things are all 1:1, and it's a very reductionist, simple-minded approach.

And Fist of the North Star is pretty bad. Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus is way more responsive than that mess.

It disrupts the flow? You mean like supers in fighting games, which is where the concept is derived from? They're really not disruptive in fighting games, the genre where responsive flowing gameplay is the most important.

And no, criticism is welcome, but you haven't really provided any. You just say that these games are better, in your opinion, at ONE facet of Senran Kagura each without giving actual reasons why.

EDIT: And I play all the games you listed. I think Senran Kagura does a great number of things better than many of them.

ShinMaruku

Legit question: Why play these games when you have vastly superior beat-em-up games like the Musou and Ninja Gaiden games? If you like the cloth breaking mechanics then Fist of the North Star Musou games are much more impressive than these.

If you're going for the girls, then the Tekken, Soul Calibur, and DOA selections are much better. Actually all the Musou games' girls are much better. Not to mention all those PC games that will be unnamed that you can get elsewhere are much better........

If you like the anime girls talking about some stuff as a plot, then Final Fantasy, Tales, Atelier games are better. Even Hyperdimension are better and more funny.

Game plays different from the musou and Ninja Gaiden game. This has a great story as well as the fight system is a mix of a fighting game and a musou game.

ShinMaruku

HopJq3c.jpg

I just love how they put the two ninja princesses together.
They are the heiress of two massive Shinobi Zaibatsu due to the Ninja Skills

pariah164

I like the characters. Hikage is in my top five video game characters of all time. The games can be funny, can be irreverent, can be deadly serious and give me ALL THE FEELS.

Plus Life. And Hometown.

I play Neptunia, I play Final Fantasy, I play DOA, and I play Senran Kagura. I like all of them for different reasons.

Coming in to this thread - the Senran Kagura community thread - and saying 'these games are better than SK don't understand why you play it' makes me feel like you're just here to stir shit up, quite frankly.

neohwa

The same reason I play any video games, or games of any kind; To have fun. Does there need to be any other reason? It's a fun game with fun characters, fun dialogue, and so on. Ya don't need to put every video game under a microscope and dissect it.

It would be a lot more fun if the loading wasn't so horrible. main menu select to play level 1, game loads 1-2 minutes, a cutscene happen(which you can't turn off), then another 1-2 minutes loading, game finally start which last 1-2 minutes, game loads 1-2 minutes, a cutscene happen, game loads 1-2 minutes again, game stats show, game loads 1-2 mintues like I don't know why, finally back to the main menu screen.

every level is so small and tiny(SK's level is like the size of Hong Kong if Musou's level is the size of China). You fight 30-50 enemies in each level for SK compared to 1000 in Musou. Why is SK loading so long?

Legit question: Why play these games when you have vastly superior beat-em-up games like the Musou and Ninja Gaiden games?

Musou games bore the hell out of me. I don't understand their appeal. SK is faster and more interesting to me. Even Warriors Orochi with all its fantasy stuff is still boring as hell. I love things that are silly and over the top crazy. SK hits those points for me.

It's also like one series out of many different beat-em-ups I like. Not gonna limit myself just because other games "do it better."

Jathaine

Sure some of the girls would be fun to make children with, but which ones would be best to rear them?
Yozakura is banned

Barring Yozakura (I hate you for this), I don't know. I assume Asuka would be a good mother. Depending on how she feels about kids I think Miyabi would either be a fantastic mom or an awful one. Miyabi seems to be surprisingly sensitive to other people's feelings and pretty well accommodating. You don't expect that given her rough exterior but she treats her team members well and if she's serious about raising kids I bet she'd be awesome.

Also, Senran Kagura games are my favorite beat-em-up Musou-likes.Period.
Gameplay, story, characters, music... everything. Especially Shinovi Versus and probably Estival Versus when I get my hands on it since it looks like more of the same but better.

pariah164

Yozakura is banned
Bah.
Yozakura is awesome.

Well, nobody from Hebijo (natch). Yumi might make a good mom, albeit a little strict. Shiki would be the 'cool mom' type that tries to be friends with her daughter's friends. All in all, Asuka is probably the best choice for a 'normal' mom type.

Vylash

Bah.
Yozakura is awesome.

Well, nobody from Hebijo (natch). Yumi might make a good mom, albeit a little strict. Shiki would be the 'cool mom' type that tries to be friends with her daughter's friends. All in all, Asuka is probably the best choice for a 'normal' mom type.

Yeah, I was thinking Ikaruga but she'd be way too strict without someone to balance her out

excluding Yozakura is bullshit

joe2187

Banned
It would be a lot more fun if the loading wasn't so horrible. main menu select to play level 1, game loads 1-2 minutes, a cutscene happen(which you can't turn off), then another 1-2 minutes loading, game finally start which last 1-2 minutes, game loads 1-2 minutes, a cutscene happen, game loads 1-2 minutes again, game stats show, game loads 1-2 mintues like I don't know why, finally back to the main menu screen.

every level is so small and tiny(SK's level is like the size of Hong Kong if Musou's level is the size of China). You fight 30-50 enemies in each level for SK compared to 1000 in Musou. Why is SK loading so long?

Why is Vita game that is made for Vita optimized for the vita?

Have you seen the videos for Estivul Versus? sounds like the PS4 version is what you're looking for.

Bittercup

Great thread to subscribe :)
I just finished getting the Platinum in Shinovi Versus. I didn't expect to enjoy the game so much. Really cool gameplay and the stories had many very funny moments. Now I need more life! Maybe I should import Estival Versus (or buy a 3DS).

neohwa

It disrupts the flow? You mean like supers in fighting games, which is where the concept is derived from? They're really not disruptive in fighting games, the genre where responsive flowing gameplay is the most important.

And no, criticism is welcome, but you haven't really provided any. You just say that these games are better, in your opinion, at ONE facet of Senran Kagura each without giving actual reasons why.

Criticism:
Unskippable Clothbreaking animation gets stale quick. It is not like supers in fighting game at all where you input special buttons combination for a super. SK's Clothbreaking animation comes at the middle of your combo or most of the time, randomly. Disruptive gameplay.

Horrible loading time in the whole game, going to the next unskippable cutscene take 1-2 minutes to load, even going back to the main menu after the cutscene takes another 1-2 minutes loading.

Stages are all tiny and the same with the same enemies. No new weapon, no new upgrade, no animals/vehicles, no specific stage interaction, no field advantage, no strategy can be made, no ally to fight alongside you.

Horrible camera work. Unable to track your character or enemies or your locked in enemies most of the time. Unable to switch camera angle or zoom in/out. lock on feature doesn't work as it just randomly lock on an enemy? you need to touch the screen to lock on but of course it's not accurate either.

Shallow gameplay is totally exercise in repetition. Slash some enemies and nothing else literally. Non boss fight are totally a waste of time as they don't provide any challenge or varieties. block or parry is never used at all even at the hardest difficulty.

broken gameplay as some characters are easily much more overpowered than the others.

even the plot itself is unoriginal, repetitive and tiresome. sets of ninjas challenge some other ninjas in some kind of ninja school battle thing, and that's it. awkward sex “jokes” and unsubtle dialogue mixed with unfittingly tragic backstories and anime “power of friendship” resolutions has been done over and over again.

Unacceptable framerate and graphics and animation. gens behind in the graphics department compared to similar games. music and voice acting are nothing special either.

all girl's life and hometown size are the same. and most of them are like 10 years old?

The above are part 1/10 of the improvement I hope the developer can make.

neohwa

Why is Vita game that is made for Vita optimized for the vita?

Have you seen the videos for Estivul Versus? sounds like the PS4 version is what you're looking for.

the versus game isn't optimized for vita at all. loading for uncharted vita, gravity rush, dynasty warriors vita are much faster.

will try out the ps4 version, hope they at least fix part 1 of my problems with the series.

Jathaine

Most of your list is just completely false. I don't know why I'm even bothering to respond to you when you keep talking about unskippable this and that when everything is skippable.

Talk about needing the touch screen for lock on... what are you even trying to lock on to?

Besides the fact that it works well in my experience, it isn't even remotely necessary at any time aside from on bosses and it always makes them a priority anyway. Just tap up on the dpad, no need for the touch screen.

And if you think the gameplay is shallow, you should go online when the JP players are active (unfortunately the only time the online is active at all is when they are on, that's the one major downer for me with this game) and they will show you a thing or two.

And your criticism of the plot is laughable. It doesn't describe Hebijo or Homura Crimson Squad at all and is a terrible job at describing the other two. Then there's the character stories that are all far removed from that... there's 20 of those. 22 if you count DLC, quite a bit more to it than what you are saying here.

Most of your "criticism" is stuff that doesn't even apply to the game. I just don't understand. (also the life and hometown have different sizes)

neohwa

Most of your list is just completely false. I don't know why I'm even bothering to respond to you when you keep talking about unskippable this and that when everything is skippable.

Talk about needing the touch screen for lock on... what are you even trying to lock on to?

Besides the fact that it works well in my experience, it isn't even remotely necessary at any time aside from on bosses and it always makes them a priority anyway. Just tap up on the dpad, no need for the touch screen.

And if you think the gameplay is shallow, you should go online when the JP players are active (unfortunately the only time the online is active at all is when they are on, that's the one major downer for me with this game) and they will show you a thing or two.

And your criticism of the plot is laughable. It doesn't describe Hebijo or Homura Crimson Squad at all and is a terrible job at describing the other two. Then there's the character stories that are all far removed from that... there's 20 of those. 22 if you count DLC, quite a bit more to it than what you are saying here.

Most of your "criticism" is stuff that doesn't even apply to the game. I just don't understand. (also the life and hometown have different sizes)

unskippable means can't be turned off completely. you still have to watch half a second of the animation or cutscene which are annoying.

locking on the boss? you don't need to lock on anyone else. the lock on circle is barely visible so you barely can see who you are targeting with. which will be included in part 2 of the problems of this series.

why do I need to play with JP people to see how great this game is? other people in other countries aren't as good?

so which plot are any good? I don't mind spoiler as I already know them.

as for different sizes all the girls have, please post pics to prove that.

i lost it at "loading for gravity rush is much faster"

yes faster than SK: versus.

Only responding to the points I have enough of an opinion on:

Criticism:
Unskippable Clothbreaking animation gets stale quick. It is not like supers in fighting game at all where you input special buttons combination for a super. SK's Clothbreaking animation comes at the middle of your combo or most of the time, randomly. Disruptive gameplay.
Agreed for the most part, but it's mostly not random. I don't think they got stale and you can skip them, but I've dropped too many combos due to clothes changing animations.

No new weapon, no new upgrade, no animals/vehicles, no specific stage interaction, no field advantage, no strategy can be made, no ally to fight alongside you.
Disagree. Different forms have different attacks and combo strings and changes in attack strength and defence.

Shallow gameplay is totally exercise in repetition. Slash some enemies and nothing else literally. Non boss fight are totally a waste of time as they don't provide any challenge or varieties. block or parry is never used at all even at the hardest difficulty.
Agreed for the most part, but I come to the series for dumb fun more than complexity.

even the plot itself is unoriginal, repetitive and tiresome. sets of ninjas challenge some other ninjas in some kind of ninja school battle thing, and that's it. awkward sex “jokes” and unsubtle dialogue mixed with unfittingly tragic backstories and anime “power of friendship” resolutions has been done over and over again.
Agreed, but I don't think that's inherently bad. I personally skim through most of it because it's a bit too much, but there's some interesting story stuff they throw in there like
the trojan horse plan with the sisters.

Unacceptable framerate and graphics and animation. gens behind in the graphics department compared to similar games. music and voice acting are nothing special either.
SK Burst, agreed. Shinovi Versus, disagree. Framerate and general production was a pretty big step up from Burst.

all girl's life and hometown size are the same. and most of them are like 10 years old?
I would post the chart of all the Shinovi Versus characters bust sizes, but I'm afraid of it being bannable. They actually aren't the same, though it's easy to see how you'd think they are if you're not comparing side by side (besides the two obvious characters).

"10 years old" is completely false.

Vylash

anyway enough of that guy, is anyone else thinking about importing EV? i've been thinking about importing the Vita version but i know i'll regret it when it gets localized

neohwa

Right?
And I also forgot to mention that the clothes breaking isn't random at all.

it is random when you keep hitting the same attack button. it's only not random when you use a special move.

some other problems I haven't mentioned yet is that you don't see how many ninja move the boss have in her queue.

it's really silly when you break their clothing completely they show a face to hide the important part. there are games like heavy rain that doesn't even do that. Why in SK of all games you need to hide that? completely defeat the purpose of playing SK.

you can spam the boss with your ninja move nonstop so the game is too easy.

neohwa

Only responding to the points I have enough of an opinion on:

Agreed for the most part, but it's mostly not random. I don't think they got stale and you can skip them, but I've dropped too many combos due to clothes changing animations.

Disagree. Different forms have different attacks and combo strings and changes in attack strength and defence.

Agreed for the most part, but I come to the series for dumb fun more than complexity.

Agreed, but I don't think that's inherently bad. I personally skim through most of it because it's a bit too much, but there's some interesting story stuff they throw in there like
the trojan horse plan with the sisters.

SK Burst, agreed. Shinovi Versus, disagree. Framerate and general production was a pretty big step up from Burst.

I would post the chart of all the Shinovi Versus characters bust sizes, but I'm afraid of it being bannable. They actually aren't the same, though it's easy to see how you'd think they are if you're not comparing side by side (besides the two obvious characters).

"10 years old" is completely false.

Agree for the most part. I shouldn't take the games too seriously the same way I play other more complex games.

Seeing how the vita game improve on the 3ds game, interesting to see if the ps4 game offer any improvements. though it's probably just a vita port.

anyway enough of that guy, is anyone else thinking about importing EV? i've been thinking about importing the Vita version but i know i'll regret it when it gets localized

My current plan is to import the PS4 version, then get the Vita version if it gets localized with bonus stuff like SV did. Still thinking about it though.

Top Bottom