• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Kimosabae

Banned
Platinum age been going for two years almost already
and we still got EVO this year

I'd say that counts as an age

It's a new era, yes. My point is that you might want to save the "Platinum" label for the actual history books, considering the game is still on a rising trajectory. "Modern Era" would suffice, were it me.

Spade

Very well done OP! It's insane to look back on the last 10 years and see just how far it has all come. Exciting to think of how far it might get in the next 5+ years.

Nyoro SF

Wonderful OP writeup, very succinct and introduces us well to the present day.

I find it extraordinary that a classic game has enough respect from its players to continue to be played long after its release.

And I'd buy a Melee HD. :p

Lucumo

Not even on the first page. Damn work preventing me from posting/reading earlier.

The top Smash Bros. streamer is VGBootCamp. Run by GIMR, it has the highest production values of any stream in the Smash community. As a result, VGBC is usually in charge of streaming at the biggest Melee events.
I would actually disagree here. Salty Playground had everything VGBC had + insta-replays and bracket on screen + nationalities. For Apex 2015, VGBC got the insta-replays technology from the former but didn't really use it. Too bad Liva departed somewhat recently from them.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not even on the first page. Damn work preventing me from posting/reading earlier.

I would actually disagree here. Salty Playground had everything VGBC had + insta-replays and bracket on screen + nationalities. For Apex 2015, VGBC got the insta-replays technology from the former but didn't really use it. Too bad Liva departed somewhat recently from them.

I don't know why replays weren't used more at Apex. Even at Xanadu it seems (or seemed, haven't watched since they first dropped PM streaming) like they were used a lot more. At one point they were doing one for nearly every match.

Lucumo

I don't know why replays weren't used more at Apex. Even at Xanadu it seems (or seemed, haven't watched since they first dropped PM streaming) like they were used a lot more. At one point they were doing one for nearly every match.

No idea. I would guess he was too busy with something else. Then again, he had only that stream. Maybe he isn't that accustomed to it?

Replays are definitely worth it to highlight cool or/and good plays.

Anth0ny

Speaking of which, using Nintendont on Wii U + Gamecube adapter, is it good enough to play Melee on that instead of my GCN all the time?

I haven't tried it myself, but I read somewhere that Gamecube adapter support has been added to Nintendont, so I think it would be fine provided you have a lag free monitor!

Also, I'm taking a note of every suggestion for the OP. I'll be adding/changing stuff as soon as I get the chance!

GIFS!

meleefoxtechskillz1kuj.gif

im8YnUKSSTWr3.gif

Great thread, didn't know the wombo combo "revived" Melee

I really want to play melee competitively but the lack of proper online play and the "poor" roster compared to Sm4sh (Greninja and Ike are my favorite characters in the series :( ), doesn't really help. And someone never give me back my Melee copy...

While I don't want a 2.0 Melee, I'm disappointed that Sm4sh took too much from Brawl but it's still me for me the best in the series because of the reasons above.

K.Sabot

Marginally related, but I thought Hungrybox's chat with Anthony Fantano yesterday was pretty entertaining. A lot more of it about music than smash though.

Azure J

BTW everyone pour one out for 20XX's latest victim, Armada.

RIP in Peaches. ;__;

I always took his comments to suggest that Peach is still his main but he's going to have a Fox for the hyperactive "I PUSH MORE FUCKING BUTTONS IN A SET THAN YOU DO AT A TOURNAMENT" level Foxes and the hard matchups he felt Peach was too slow to capitalize in optimally.

I sincerely hope Armada realizes that his character's amazing and at least keeps her as his namesake.

I fully support 20xx Hack Pack being in the OP, I've recently been addicted to it and I think it's a great training resource with or without another player. Especially if you go to play your GC disc and learn that your memory cards with your Melee save file and backup save both got corrupted lol.

Acerac

Banned
Wow, awesome OP! Glad to see this thread around, funny that with a game this age it hasn't shown up sooner.

FSLink

Banned
I haven't tried it myself, but I read somewhere that Gamecube adapter support has been added to Nintendont, so I think it would be fine provided you have a lag free monitor!

Also, I'm taking a note of every suggestion for the OP. I'll be adding/changing stuff as soon as I get the chance!

Yeah it works pretty well with Gamecube games. F-Zero GX on the Wii U is amazing, and looks better than GC + component cables. Was just wondering if anyone's done any tests vs CRTs. :p It should probably be fine though.

I mentioned the 20XX Hack Pack earlier and I definitely think it should be in the OP. More people need to be aware of it.

Shimesaba

so what's the next big tournament? not just for Melee either, the other games too

"I'm Not Yelling", a NorCal tournament (and the sequel to The Next Episode), will be happening in April. Should be pretty big. I think Armada might be confirmed for it too, but might be misremembering.

Can someone more well-versed in Smash explain what is actually going on in the famous HAPPY FEET WOMBO COMBO video? I've never had any idea what is going on or why it's so crazy.

xezuru

Can someone more well-versed in Smash explain what is actually going on in the famous HAPPY FEET WOMBO COMBO video? I've never had any idea what is going on or why it's so crazy.

Teams in general to this day is still pretty underdeveloped, think about the status all those years ago. More than anything technical, it was just a moment of insane freestyling of the teams on Zhu when team combos weren't even a thing, during a hype match.

Shimesaba

"Happy Feet" refers to a series of Falco combo videos made by Zhu, the target of the wombo combo (hence "that ain't Falco" - the implication is that since Zhu is playing Fox instead of Falco, he won't be able to pull out a Happy Feet moment). "Wombo Combo" comes from a pizza served at Round Table Pizza, a chain that is/was common in NorCal, where the players are from.

The excitement around the combo mostly speaks for itself, but that level of coordination for a team combo was all but unheard of in 2008, and some of the individual pieces (SS's single hit neutral air to not knock Zhu out of Tang's grab, Tang's shine-upsmash) would also have been impressive at the time.

it was just a moment of insane freestyling
I think they had actually practiced the combo before, but this was the first time they landed it in a tournament match.

Anth0ny

I think shine up smash -> knee is the actual wombo combo. I remember hearing that somewhere. SS and Tang pulled it off before the wombo wombo video (not recorded, of course). Every time there was a 2 on 1 situation in teams with SS and Tang involved, you'd hear HMW ask, "wombo combo?" expecting it to come every time.

In the wombo combo video, it actually came.

I think shine up smash -> knee is the actual wombo combo. I remember hearing that somewhere. SS and Tang pulled it off before the wombo wombo video (not recorded, of course). Every time there was a 2 on 1 situation in teams with SS and Tang involved, you'd hear HMW ask, "wombo combo?" expecting it to come every time.

In the wombo combo video, it actually came.

God damn, I only just now realized the Fox did Shine jump-cancelled into up-smash, and I really appreciate the things you can do in Melee even more now.

Azure J

God damn, I only just now realized the Fox did Shine jump-cancelled into up-smash, and I really appreciate the things you can do in Melee even more now.

When you play casually against someone who doesn't know any better, Shine-Up Smash ruins friendships, especially if you trigger sudden death and go all in. :lol

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
In October 2012, some random nobody noticed tournament organizer Mr.Wizard doing a poll on the Evo Championship Series Facebook page. Wizard was gauging interest in what games should be on the roster. So this dude decided to make a thread on Smashboards about the poll. It was mostly a joke.
That was me god damn it

I have the proof

You're welcome smash babies

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
IT'S ME ANTH0NY. IT WAS ME, ALL ALONG ANTH0NY.

Ya your welcome for leading yall to peak golden age.

They should elect me King moderator on smashboards and let me into the backroom so I can change the tier lists.

xezuru

That OP is phenomenal. I wish i could play melee

If you just watch some of the videos recommended above, specifically the Wak tutorial for more competitive moves, just play with people in your region or on gaf with netplay, and i'm sure they'd fill you in.

Top Bottom