• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Cracklox

I would play the shit out of D3 right now if the necro was out :(

Whats taking so long :/

Blizz gunna blizz. In fairness though, shits usually super polished, even when it releases, so they can take as long as they need. But then I'm not super keen on the class in general so no hurry for me.

Also
judging by your posts in the Marvel Heroes thread, I'm not sure this will be the summon style you're after. Could be wrong though

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Blizz gunna blizz. In fairness though, shits usually super polished, even when it releases, so they can take as long as they need. But then I'm not super keen on the class in general so no hurry for me.

Also
judging by your posts in the Marvel Heroes thread, I'm not sure this will be the summon style you're after. Could be wrong though

From the Pallytime video he seemed to have both permanent and also temp pets no? Unless it changed since then?

Cracklox

I've only seen a few videos, but watched someone clear something like GR85 with the Rathma set which is supposed to be the summoners set.

Here's some feedback on it from the D3 forums. Take it for what its worth, but its seems like fairly constructive feedback. Except maybe the last one which is just kinda funny

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20754896373

Rathma:
Bones of Rathma ([PH] Pet Set)
(2) Set Bonus
Your pets have a chance to reduce the cooldown of Army of the Dead by 1 second each time they deal damage
(4) Set Bonus
You gain 1% damage reduction each time your pets deal damage. Max 50 stacks.
(6) Set Bonus
Each active Skeleton Mage increases the damage of your minions and Army of the Dead by 200%

Why is Army of the Dead on the pet set? It's a nuke. Replace it with Land of the Dead.
Why does the pet set rely on temporary mages that require multiple casts? Replace it with Revives instead. One cast, get your bonus on. Encourages Golem use too.
Why does the Damage Reduction component of Rathma so short? Double it, and refresh all stacks when a pet gets a hit in. It royally sucks if your pets get CC'ed for 5 seconds and bam! You die. Good luck getting back up, especially fighting Cold Snap.

The pet set (Rathma) encourages you not to use pets, but Mages. And only Mages. Even with the ring, you'll need to stand and cast 5 times to gain full damage potential. Poison Mage build plays very similar to Acid Cloud WD - if you gained more damage for each Acid Cloud you spewed forth.

We wanted a necro, and they provided a necro(ish) mage... he shoots skeletons!

Good job! Enjoy

Bounties aren't a bad thing to be doing. You'll need the mats from them. Rifts and greater rifts are generally where to go for equipment drops though. Here's something I typed up for some one who asked a very similar question a few pages ago.

Bolded is important and easy to miss

For barb you get the raekor set for completing the season challenge which is centered around furious charge. I haven' t played with the set much so can't help too much with the specifics, but throwing the 6 set together with some complimentary items (bracers belts, weapons etc) should see you doing torment 10 without much issue
Thank you!

IceMarker

I like the pet set, but it's really annoying how you have to keep the mages up for consistent damage. I have to run Reaper's Wraps to keep up my Essence half the time.

IceMarker

Has PTR Necromancer beta been laggy for anyone else?
I haven't noticed anything recently.

How much do we think Necromancer is gonna cost when it releases? $15? $20? More?
I'm really hoping no more than $10. When you really see all the VA and art they have to do to fit the Necro into the existing campaign mode you can see why it took longer than anyone expected for it to release. If we could rewind time and batch all of the last few major patches content + 2.6 content + Necro in a new expansion instead I would have easily dropped $40.

Baliis

I haven't noticed anything recently.

I'm really hoping no more than $10. When you really see all the VA and art they have to do to fit the Necro into the existing campaign mode you can see why it took longer than anyone expected for it to release. If we could rewind time and batch all of the last few major patches content + 2.6 content + Necro in a new expansion instead I would have easily dropped $40.

It will probably be $20 and we'll all buy it like suckers.

Cracklox

It will probably be $20 and we'll all buy it like suckers.

Maybe not quite all of us ;) Its not really even the 'not a real necro thing' its just the whole class in general I don't find that appealing. Besides, I've far from played with every existing class set, and am still having fun mucking around there. After hardly touching barbs for my 1st few years playing, I finally made a leapquake this season, and I'll be, its pretty fun. Also, gave a UE DH a proper go, and holy shit they can clear fast. Maybe I'll get the necro one day, but in no way am I feeling compelled to straight away

It'll be interesting to see if this is the future of the game though. As in, a new class or 2 a year that they sell for (hopefully) 10-15 bucks, to keep things running for another few years. I'd be interested in some other archetypes like a shape shifting druid or a more melee focused assassin class for instance. Or maybe they plan on flogging this off, and giving us only a few minor updates and changes until D4 releases. Should be interesting either way

Picked this game up on PC a couple of days ago, played on ps4 before though not a crazy amount.

I'm playing as monk, class seems fun. any monks in here that wouldn't mind boosting me a bit? At the very least i could use some advice on how to level more efficiently. I'm skipping story, as I have already experienced it, and i would just like to get to 70 to begin end game.

also, how often do seasons cycle? Ive read that this season should end around June, which is unfortunate for me, but at least i could be there for the next one.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing the necro Beta and yeah.... if it's more than 10-15 they are nuts. Yes you get all the voice lines and whatnot in the campaign, but NO ONE DOES THAT.

For all other purposes this thing is just a class to mess around with, and while fun it isn't worth twenty bucks.

Ayumi

I've been playing the necro Beta and yeah.... if it's more than 10-15 they are nuts. Yes you get all the voice lines and whatnot in the campaign, but NO ONE DOES THAT.

For all other purposes this thing is just a class to mess around with, and while fun it isn't worth twenty bucks.

Well you're not paying for just a class. There has been a severe shortage of stash tabs, so you get two of those, two extra character slots, and a bunch of cosmetic items.

Bombless

At this point I'm not sure whether I'll buy it at launch since I'm back on a D3 lull. Might pick it up if I ever end up on the wagon again later.

Cracklox

I wonder if the necro items will be added to drop tables if you don't buy the class? As in one of those occasional drops you get for another class. I imagine not, but was thinking if I randomly found something nice it might help me pull the trigger. For instance, I had no intention of playing DH this season but then I randomly found an ancient Yangs with my Barb. I then went and made a UE DH that I took from level one to farming T13 at a good pace in about a day and a half.

Picked this game up on PC a couple of days ago, played on ps4 before though not a crazy amount.

I'm playing as monk, class seems fun. any monks in here that wouldn't mind boosting me a bit? At the very least i could use some advice on how to level more efficiently. I'm skipping story, as I have already experienced it, and i would just like to get to 70 to begin end game.

also, how often do seasons cycle? Ive read that this season should end around June, which is unfortunate for me, but at least i could be there for the next one.

Hmm, first leveling of the season is a little trickier if you do it on your own. Subsequent characters you can rely on Gems of ease, legendary gems, paragon etc to do it in an hour or so. A few things that may help

- Prob the most important thing, just do the highest difficulty you can kill things efficiently in. Usually around hard/expert. Sure the higher the difficulty the more xp, but that will be offset and then some if you take forever to kill an elite pack, or you're dying all the time.

- Don't bother spending to much time picking through gear looking for optimal stuff. It'll be replaced pretty quickly. Just whatever helps your dps and/or survivabilty which you can tell at a glance

- Stick as big a red gem in your helm as possible for xp bonus.

- If you find a leorics signet, wear it.

- I've leveled a few monks in my time
they keep dying in hc
and I like to use a combo of the teleporting generator, exploding palm, cyclone strike, and of course dash. There's prob more efficient ways but the above skills equal lots of explosions and explosions are fun

- Rifts are probably more efficient then bounties for xp, but I'd run some bounties not only for the mats you'll need, but the crafting plans you get from them as well. It's also usually worth knocking off any other random quests for the xp if they're on the way

- Get to the ruins of Sescharon ASAP to unlock the cube

- Don't forget to keep an eye on the season journey tasks, and knock of any that you can during the leveling process. There's some nice stuff that awaits for the first 3 legs

I'm sure there's more but that all I got for now. Of course, you could do it the easy way and ask around for a power level as well
I'd help but I'm just a mere console pleb who likes to hang around the pc thread, cos the console one is pretty much d.e.d

As for seasons I believe they run for a few months, and usually have a week or 2 in between. Length tends to vary a bit, but is usually in the 3-4 month range

Thanks! looks as though im the right track than as ive been doing most of what you suggested. So far the Monk is so much fun, cyclone all the mobs that try to run away XD it's great.

Tareskog

The amount of work of improvement and patching Blizzard has done post Reaper of Souls release has given me such an expanded enjoyment of Diablo 3 that I have no problem paying for the Necromancer.
I am currently on my 3rd HC character this season, and decided to try Demon Hunter, but after blasting Gargs with Helltooth and Short Man's Finger on my two dead WDs, I just find it tedious. Maybe it gets better with full Shadow set, but currently i am struggling keeping the resources at bay. Impale is f'ing amazing at 6 set bonus, hell even at 2 set, but until then It's a bit of a chore.

Probably gonna level another Gem of Ease and level a Wizard again when I come home from work...

Anyone else getting a ton of crashes on PS4 Pro? Everytime I try to do a Rift and a fuckton of enemies show up on screen the game always crashes. Tried database rebuild and still crashes.

Cracklox

Anyone else getting a ton of crashes on PS4 Pro? Everytime I try to do a Rift and a fuckton of enemies show up on screen the game always crashes. Tried database rebuild and still crashes.

I have the occasional crash now and then, ie pretty rarely, on ps4, but then I don't have a Pro.

If this is anything to go by, it sounds like you aren't the only one with the issue

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
do angels in the diablo universe have faces? Playing hots and looking at tyrael and auriel and all their skins have either masks or the black void hoods

IceMarker

do angels in the diablo universe have faces? Playing hots and looking at tyrael and auriel and all their skins have either masks or the black void hoods

iirc not really 'faces' but more they have head/skull-shaped black masses under their hoods. Only if they become mortal like Tyrael do they receive faces.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The Marauder set of the DH is ridiculous with proper gear and even far from optimal stats and gems.

I mean, I'm still only paragon 125, no ancient gear at all, with my highest gem being lvl 19 and I'm tearing through Torment IX as if it was on normal. I love it. 5 sentries with Cluster Arrows and a Manticore crossbow is insane. Elites and guardians can't even last 3 seconds.

Radec

The Marauder set of the DH is ridiculous with proper gear and even far from optimal stats and gems.

I mean, I'm still only paragon 125, no ancient gear at all, with my highest gem being lvl 19 and I'm tearing through Torment IX as if it was on normal. I love it. 5 sentries with Cluster Arrows and a Manticore crossbow is insane. Elites and guardians can't even last 3 seconds.

Shadow Set tears elites and rg much faster.
Grouo of mobs not so much.

I'm on PS4, haven't played in probably over a year. I don't care about min/maxing too much but I did have a level 70 leapquake barb as my main, all the other classes I didn't even hit 70 with.

When's season 10 ending? Is it worth going through? What about hardcore, are there any season 10 hardcore specific rewards or what?

I'm thinking I should focus on getting the other heroes to 70 in vanilla first

Side note, is there a way to swap genders? Cause I realize now that male demon hunter and wizard look terrible but I'm already 30+ with both.

Messed around with PTR Necromancer this weekend. I kinda like the class but don't think I'll buy it unless I see a bigger investment other than a new character class and a new section of act 5.

Will probably try to play a bit of season 11 I guess or whatever it will be. Going to try and focus on my original North American region cause Asia is empty.

IceMarker

Myself and anyone else in the Necromancer beta just got an email from Blizzard today saying they're doing a 'server slam' again for the PTR. 100% bonus Blood Shards and XP for anyone playing the next 3 days.

Is a wizard build without a signature spell recommended for leveling up? With the arcane regeneration and max passive plus magic weapons with the "hits restore arcane power" or whatever the mana is called could it be viable? Or am I better off not doing that

IceMarker

Is a wizard build without a signature spell recommended for leveling up? With the arcane regeneration and max passive plus magic weapons with the "hits restore arcane power" or whatever the mana is called could it be viable? Or am I better off not doing that

According to a quick look up of an icy-veins leveling guide, you wouldn't be wrong to put Disintegrate on your left click with passives/items to help keep your Arcane Power up.

According to a quick look up of an icy-veins leveling guide, you wouldn't be wrong to put Disintegrate on your left click with passives/items to help keep your Arcane Power up.

yeah that's basically what i'm doing lol

Here's a quick demo vid on master

after I leveled up I switched to time warp, or whichever is the one that gives damage bonus to people in the slow time field

I'm having a lot of fun with wizard, enjoyed barb too and from what I've played (~level 30) I like Witch Doctor a lot too. I want to love Monk but he's around the same range and not as fun, DH sucks to me and Crusader I can't give a fair opinion on since he's my hardcore character so I have the difficulty set to hard and play really conservatively lol

Radec

Finally got my monk to finish GR80 together with my Wiz and DH.

Took like 10-15 tries and always kept running out of time.

Then today, my 2nd try and I finished it at 10:26. such a beautiful rift that was.

I wish you could save and load skill/rune builds in this game so everytime I wanna switch up I don't have to manually rebind every single skill and rune.

IceMarker

I wish you could save and load skill/rune builds in this game so everytime I wanna switch up I don't have to manually rebind every single skill and rune.

Boy have I got some good news for you. Basically, there's a closet called the Armory sitting next to the stash (at least in Adventure Mode) that will not only save your skill bar, but also your passives, gear, gems, Kanai Cube powers, and even your current Legendary Potion if you have one! You can save up to 5 different builds per character.

Boy have I got some good news for you. Basically, there's a closet called the Armory sitting next to the stash (at least in Adventure Mode) that will not only save your skill bar, but also your passives, gear, gems, Kanai Cube powers, and even your current Legendary Potion if you have one! You can save up to 5 different builds per character.

ayyyy

wish it was in campaign too though

Edit: how do I get the kanai cube powers?

I have the cube now but not the powers, also if I have lut socks but they're like level 36 requirement, ideally I'd want to extract the legendary bonus? That way could I add the leap bonus to a level 70 pair of boots and have better leapquake armor?

IceMarker

I have the cube now but not the powers, also if I have lut socks but they're like level 36 requirement, ideally I'd want to extract the legendary bonus? That way could I add the leap bonus to a level 70 pair of boots and have better leapquake armor?

Yes you can extract low level Legendaries and continue to use their power at level 70 in the cube.

Yes you can extract low level Legendaries and continue to use their power at level 70 in the cube.
Neat, I'll look in to getting the mats for that.

Also is there a recommended companion for each class or does it not matter much? I usually go Templar just because I feel like companions don't put out much damage so I'd rather have extra resource gain and more healing/prevent death options. Just wondering if there were specific combos people liked and whatnot

Alsoooo, 2 handed or dual wielding for barb? I like to go 2 handed for wizard and dual wielding for monk but I just got a new 2 handed legendary weapon for my barb and thinking of switching from dual wielding a bit.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

No faces. They are basically like sentient light and sound. I'm not sure they even have humanoid body shapes outside of their armor.

Cracklox

Neat, I'll look in to getting the mats for that.

Also is there a recommended companion for each class or does it not matter much? I usually go Templar just because I feel like companions don't put out much damage so I'd rather have extra resource gain and more healing/prevent death options. Just wondering if there were specific combos people liked and whatnot

Alsoooo, 2 handed or dual wielding for barb? I like to go 2 handed for wizard and dual wielding for monk but I just got a new 2 handed legendary weapon for my barb and thinking of switching from dual wielding a bit.

For companions they don't offer a whole lot. The templar gives some healing and resource regen which is useful on resource intensive builds. He's also a decent tank and can distract enemies. The enchantress turns shit into chickens on the regular which can be pretty handy for some added crowd control. And the scoundrel. Well he's just mostly worth rolling with for his awesome VO. And he gives some added crit chance too.

Barb, it really depends on what set you go with at 70. Might of the Earth is almost always 2 hand, and the wastes set is almost always dual wield. The other 2 sets I don't know quite as much about. On the way to 70? Whatever works, although its always nice having a bit of extra attack speed

- edit - I should add later on when you find a few specific things for your companions they can become slightly more useful. Oculus ring for example is basically a must, and thing like a Thunderfury, Freeze of Deflection and Wyrdward can suddenly make the templar pretty effective at cc as well. I also usually give the enchantress the Maximus sword so a demon chained to her gets added to the mayhem. Not sure how effective it is, but it sure looks cool

For companions they don't offer a whole lot. The templar gives some healing and resource regen which is useful on resource intensive builds. He's also a decent tank and can distract enemies. The enchantress turns shit into chickens on the regular which can be pretty handy for some added crowd control. And the scoundrel. Well he's just mostly worth rolling with for his awesome VO. And he gives some added crit chance too.

Barb, it really depends on what set you go with at 70. Might of the Earth is almost always 2 hand, and the wastes set is almost always dual wield. The other 2 sets I don't know quite as much about. On the way to 70? Whatever works, although its always nice having a bit of extra attack speed

- edit - I should add later on when you find a few specific things for your companions they can become slightly more useful. Oculus ring for example is basically a must, and thing like a Thunderfury, Freeze of Deflection and Wyrdward can suddenly make the templar pretty effective at cc as well. I also usually give the enchantress the Maximus sword so a demon chained to her gets added to the mayhem. Not sure how effective it is, but it sure looks cool

Alright yeah I'm doing leapquake and a lot of other hard hitting AOE skills so I guess 2 hand would be better.

I just have some question for general dual wielding vs. 2 handed.

1) Doesn't dual wielding offer more survivability because of life on hit? From what I know it seems to be a flat value not percentage-based from damage. With slower weapons you're proccing life on hit less often.

2) If I have a 2 handed weapon that does 3.5k damage for example but a main weapon that does 2k and an off hand that does 1.6k, does the 2 hand weapon do more damage or less? The dual wielding option seems to have more "total damage" but in the stats summary screen I get more attack with the 2 handed weapon equipped.

Edit: Unrelated, what's the new end-game loop?

didn't they get rid of rift keys or whatever

the last time I played I did 5 bounties per zone - got my cache - did a rift and repeat until I could go up a torment level. Since I played they revamped it a lot and added greater rifts and the cube. I'm at T5 with my barb right now and do fine in bounties, could maybe even go up to T6 it would just take longer to kill the rare enemies.

1) Doesn't dual wielding offer more survivability because of life on hit? From what I know it seems to be a flat value not percentage-based from damage. With slower weapons you're proccing life on hit less often.

2) If I have a 2 handed weapon that does 3.5k damage for example but a main weapon that does 2k and an off hand that does 1.6k, does the 2 hand weapon do more damage or less? The dual wielding option seems to have more "total damage" but in the stats summary screen I get more attack with the 2 handed weapon equipped.

Edit: Unrelated, what's the new end-game loop?

1. Faster attacks will benefit more from life on hit yes. But survivability is influenced by so much and weapon loadouts tend to be dictated by build anyway.

2. Offhand non-weps like mojos and quivers add to the mainhand weapon damage. Traditional dual-wielding does not. Usually attacks alternate which weapon they do damage from. Cooldown attacks are usually mainhand weapon only however. Also, because of this, certain weapon affixes like damage% and attack speed have less value on weapons used in dual-wield builds (only half as good as normal). On the plus side, there is also a global attack speed increase when dual-wielding.

End game loop is
Bounties - For act-specific materials.
Normal Rifts - For death's breaths, riftstones, and legendaries.
Greater Rifts - For legendary gem levels, paragon levels, legendaries.

1. Faster attacks will benefit more from life on hit yes. But survivability is influenced by so much and weapon loadouts tend to be dictated by build anyway.

2. Offhand non-weps like mojos and quivers add to the mainhand weapon damage. Traditional dual-wielding does not. Usually attacks alternate which weapon they do damage from. Cooldown attacks are usually mainhand weapon only however. Also, because of this, certain weapon affixes like damage% and attack speed have less value on weapons used in dual-wield builds (only half as good as normal). On the plus side, there is also a global attack speed increase when dual-wielding.

End game loop is
Bounties - For act-specific materials.
Normal Rifts - For death's breaths, riftstones, and legendaries.
Greater Rifts - For legendary gem levels, paragon levels, legendaries.
Thank you! for normal rifts I don't need keystones anymore right, so I can sell the 3 or so I have in my inventory?

I'm assuming I get GR keystones from normal rifts now?

Thank you! for normal rifts I don't need keystones anymore right, so I can sell the 3 or so I have in my inventory?

I'm assuming I get GR keystones from normal rifts now?

Normal rifts do not need anything to open. The purple-aura keystones with the cross drop from the normal rift bosses and are needed for greater rifts only. One stone is consumed for each rift.

If you have anything else from legacy versions they don't do anything special but you could keep them around for nostalgia.

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/kanais-cube

this was super helpful since it gave out explicit detail, item names and where to find each one (was missing some of the mats from act 1-3 horadric caches to extract my lut socks)

I also don't understand why skills and runes don't give you detailed numbers, for example a rune could be "gives a chance to add fire damage on hit" or something instead of "4.3% chance of fire damage for 150% weapon damage"

Cracklox

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/kanais-cube

this was super helpful since it gave out explicit detail, item names and where to find each one (was missing some of the mats from act 1-3 horadric caches to extract my lut socks)

I also don't understand why skills and runes don't give you detailed numbers, for example a rune could be "gives a chance to add fire damage on hit" or something instead of "4.3% chance of fire damage for 150% weapon damage"

Add this a resource to. It'll come in handy later when you're after specific pieces

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...fKXmvVJ4zmngzxdzVLk9gvLvT8/htmlview?sle=true#

Do you have detailed tool tips turned on in options. It'll be more specific in terms of damage dealt with each skill and rune. It's pretty stupid being off by default. That's about the best you'll get, otherwise everything works off of your weapon damage and associated multipliers

Add this a resource to. It'll come in handy later when you're after specific pieces

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...fKXmvVJ4zmngzxdzVLk9gvLvT8/htmlview?sle=true#

Do you have detailed tool tips turned on in options. It'll be more specific in terms of damage dealt with each skill and rune. It's pretty stupid being off by default. That's about the best you'll get, otherwise everything works off of your weapon damage and associated multipliers

oh wow I never even had the advanced tooltips on this entire time, thanks!

never bothered to really read it and just assumed it was talking about mechanics of the game, derp

Cracklox

never bothered to really read it and just assumed it was talking about mechanics of the game, derp

Haha yeah. I don't wanna guess how many hours I put into the game before I realized what it did. It was like whole new world all of a sudden when I switched them on

Baliis

Haha yeah. I don't wanna guess how many hours I put into the game before I realized what it did. It was like whole new world all of a sudden when I switched them on

See also, people just discovering elective mode. Can't believe how many people played with it off back at launch.

Top Bottom