• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gaming Mice: Post your rodent! (keyboards welcome)

Songbird

Prodigal Son
darkpaladinmfc said:
I'm pretty sure that Alienware mice is just a rebranded G9X, which means it's a good high-sens mouse.
Really? I saw quite a bit of cases with Belkin gear "produced by Razer" and vice versa.

Thnikkaman said:
Really? I saw quite a bit of cases with Belkin gear "produced by Razer" and vice versa.
Yep, they're the same.

EDIT: Glossing over that quickly, they're internally the same but slightly different. You cannot replace the felon feet on the Alienware mouse, which automatically makes the G9X much better.

Spookie

G9 first gen and G15 keyboard second gen my self. Tempted to try out a Razor mouse but I hear horror stories of them only lasting a year before giving up the ghost.

Spookie said:
G9 first gen and G15 keyboard second gen my self. Tempted to try out a Razor mouse but I hear horror stories of them only lasting a year before giving up the ghost.
All three Razer products I own are broken: 2 DeathAdders and a Sphex... The DeathAdder actually is a good mouse though.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Spookie said:
I've been very happy with my Copperhead, it lasted two years and I got it online for £30-40. The logo cap popping off is probably me mistreating it.

Xyphie said:
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 + Logitech MX518 + Steelpad QcK
Sidewinder mice are good? I saw X4 and I think X8 today, with the X8 more expensive. One has some kind of "blue laser" that PC World put at the top of their quality sheet.

Dina

Salaadin said:
15994.png

Best mouse I ever owned. Different profiles for games and such make it really nice.

logitech-g11-01.jpg

This is me as well. G5 and G15.

Thnikkaman said:
I've been very happy with my Copperhead, it lasted two years and I got it online for £30-40. The logo cap popping off is probably me mistreating it.

Sidewinder mice are good? I saw X4 and I think X8 today, with the X8 more expensive. One has some kind of "blue laser" that PC World put at the top of their quality sheet.
Seems like they have crappy sensors. Here is a list of mice and their sensors.

Nekrono

g9mouse000.jpg

exactmat.jpg

11781.jpg

I have to say I first had my G9 without the mouse pad and when i got the Razer Exactmat it felt like a completely new incredible mouse, i could never go back.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
darkpaladinmfc said:
Seems like they have crappy sensors. Here is a list of mice and their sensors.
That's a very valuable link, thank you. Updated a few days ago too.

One of the reasons the Alienware keyboard jumped out at me is the "AlienFX" I've seen on their laptops. Is there a market out there for keyboards with lights and displays that integrate with games? I'm the kind who forgets to look at lifebars and such, so if a keyboard could turn bright red all over if there's danger in a game that would be a lot of fun to play around with, for example.

pauljeremiah said:
Alienware TactX Keyboard & Mouse
My eyes! I kinda dig it, but it must be a pain when I'm not gaming.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Dilemma said:
main.jpg

Had this for years, best mouse I've owned. It was pretty cool to see OrangeMarmalade (famous WoW pvp mage) uses this too. I got my eye on the Mionix Naos 5000 in case I'll ever buy a new mouse.

RH659.jpg

Simple Dell keyboard. I used to have one of those fancy Logitech ones but I prefer this due to the lack of keyboard estate. The keys also appear to be mechanical, but I could be mistaken.

I have the same exact keyboard. Easily the best keyboard I've ever had.

Thnikkaman said:
That's a very valuable link, thank you. Updated a few days ago too.

One of the reasons the Alienware keyboard jumped out at me is the "AlienFX" I've seen on their laptops. Is there a market out there for keyboards with lights and displays that integrate with games? I'm the kind who forgets to look at lifebars and such, so if a keyboard could turn bright red all over if there's danger in a game that would be a lot of fun to play around with, for example.
Some Logitech keyboards have a screen on them, but it will be much easier to look at a lifebar than a screen on your keyboard, most games won't even support it. The 'Razer Marauder' StarCraft II keyboard glows red when your APM is high -- but it's a completely useless statistic for the player. If you want to pay lots of money for a high-end keyboard, then a mechanical such as a Filco, Das or Leopold are the best ones to get. Here is a good write-up on mechanical keyboards from the keyboard enthusiast site Geekhack.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
darkpaladinmfc said:
Some Logitech keyboards have a screen on them, but it will be much easier to look at a lifebar than a screen on your keyboard, most games won't even support it. The 'Razer Marauder' StarCraft II keyboard glows red when your APM is high -- but it's a completely useless statistic for the player. If you want to pay lots of money for a high-end keyboard, then a mechanical such as a Filco, Das or Leopold are the best ones to get. Here is a good write-up on mechanical keyboards from the keyboard enthusiast site Geekhack.
That looks like an expensive hobby. Almost a hundred for a basic mechanical? Would hate to break a key.

And they're loud too, I found a recording of a Razer keyboard (Black Widow?) tapping away. Wow!

Thnikkaman said:
That looks like an expensive hobby. Almost a hundred for a basic mechanical? Would hate to break a key.
You can replace keys rather easily, ideally a mechanical KB would be the only one you'll need in your whole life.

Surpised I haven't seen one of these yet:

en-US151_Sidewinder_X8_Mouse_3HA-00001.png

Been using my Sidewinder X8 since christmas when my logitech died. I love wireless mice.

dorkimoe

twofold said:
mou_d66_00052_opt_whl_bk.jpg

Had it for about ten years now. Have yet to find something I like more.

1680_P_1257324504208.jpg

Filco Tenkeyless Brown Cherry MX

Best keyboard I've ever used.

Mechanical keyboards > *

the 3.0 one with the big version of the button on the side is the greatest mouse ever made

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Confused101 said:
A few of my MMO friends have been raving around the Razer Naga and I've been very tempted to switch over to it.
The Naga has a lot of buttons and I'm a dedicated RPG player MMO or not. Still my thumb is pretty stubby and they look very small and hard to distinguish by feel.

mkenyon

Banned
steelseries-xai.jpg

Xai. It feels like the mouse I've been needing my whole life. Been through everything from the 518, G9, Deathadder, Imperator, RAT, etc.. Every setting is 100% adjustable to get it *just* the way you want it. Seriously improved every aspect of my gaming. Doubled my K:D ratio in Warsow.

Razer_BlackWidow_off_sided.jpg

The least expensive keyboard with Cherry Blue switches. Have 3 of them, two rigs at home and for work. Love it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
My Razer Habu broke, so Microsoft shipped me this for free.

gm_swmx3_productfeatures.jpg

Sidewinder X3. It fucking sucks.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
APZonerunner said:
Nothing short of amazing.
So that's the Rat? I've seen it boxed but not held it. It looks uncomfortable to me but is it smoother than it looks with all those edges?

I was using Razer Diamondback (Plasma LE) for like 5 years but it broke down recently, so now I got this decent Microsoft mouse.

DB is pretty much the ultimate mouse, though.

First-gen G9 on a Rocketfish mousepad (kind of like the exactmat but half the price). My G9 is still rocking it after all these years. Well worth the $67 I payed back in 07.

Still wanting a mechanical keyboard though.

cyborg-rat9-wireless-mouse.jpg

Madcatz-R.A.T-9-gaming-Mouse-1.jpg

cyborg R.A.T 9 is great so far (owned for about a month) the ability to change parts and size to fit your hand is the best idea anyone has had. you ever have your pinky finger just drag? well you wont with this mouse.
the software for macros is smooth and isn't bloat ware. and i can save plenty of profiles.

works great on the razer destructo pad, smooth as butter and the sniper button works really well in FPS games when you need to slow down your targeting and need a precise shot. I thought it was a throwaway gimmick but it's really useful.

the only minus is price of course (150 dollars) but it's really well made and I love the added weights (you can take them out too) and the battery life is not the greatest but I knew that going in and doesnt really bother me. it comes with 2 batteries so when one runs out just swap it out and use the other. the price was really worth it to me. I owned the razer mamba previously and that thing gave up the ghost in 2 months.
and I have the rat 9 paired up with a g15 keyboard 2nd gen.

Another mx518 user here, seems to be popular here. Been thinking of getting a decent keyboard as well, will have to look into the ones posted in this thread.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
evil solrac v3.0 said:
you ever have your pinky finger just drag? well you wont with this mouse.
!!!!

evil solrac v3.0 said:
the only minus is price of course (150 dollars) but it's really well made and I love the added weights (you can take them out too) and the battery life is not the greatest but I knew that going in and doesnt really bother me. it comes with 2 batteries so when one runs out just swap it out and use the other. the price was really worth it to me. I owned the razer mamba previously and that thing gave up the ghost in 2 months.
and I have the rat 9 paired up with a g15 keyboard 2nd gen.
I've seen several models of the Rat, I think a cheap one goes for £60. Can it not be recharged by USB? Otherwise the pinky-seat might have sold me.

Still using my Sidewinder X5 from a couple of years ago:

rw6mc8.jpg

I'll probably get a new one when I build my next rig in the next few months. The X8 earlier in the thread looks like a good upgrade path since I really like the way the Sidewinder side buttons are positioned. You roll your thumb rather than moving it to get to both, really smooth when you get used to it.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Once again, thanks for all the recommendations guys.

Dance In My Blood said:
Any fewer hotkeys on your mouse is bush league.
So the hotkeys are of a decent size? Do you find it easy to tell between each one?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Thnikkaman said:
So the hotkeys are of a decent size? Do you find it easy to tell between each one?
At first it seems fairly daunting, but you wind up centering your finger on the 5 button, which has a nice groove, and you can work your way around from there easily.

DJ_Lae

I'm kicking myself for not checking the sale from NCIX sooner the other week - they had some G5s for $20. I'd so have bought a replacement (or two), even thought they're the ugly purple crackly looking ones. Fantastic mice.

I've got it paired with a second gen G15 that I got for cheap. The screen is gimmicky, but nice in a geeky sort of way.

2hi74lt.jpg

Salaadin

I love mice with a lot of buttons although I wish the placement on my Logitech G500 was a little better. Its nice having on the fly adjustable DPI up to 5 settings and instant switching of button profiles when a game or program launches.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Dance In My Blood said:
At first it seems fairly daunting, but you wind up centering your finger on the 5 button, which has a nice groove, and you can work your way around from there easily.
That's encouraging, I also saw the "blind" notch on the central button there. The Razer page says there are UI mods for WoW and City of Heroes too... Not everyone plays the latter but have you seen any Mamba integration in the games? Last question, I promise.

Oops, wrong name: Naga!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Thnikkaman said:
That's encouraging, I also saw the "blind" notch on the central button there. The Razer page says there are UI mods for WoW and City of Heroes too... Not everyone plays the latter but have you seen any Mamba integration in the games? Last question, I promise.
It's the Razer Naga.

I've personally never used any specific addons, but it works instantly with every game. It maps to the corresponding numbers on the keyboard by default, and there's a switch on the bottom so you can toggle between the keyboard's horizontal row of numbers and the numberpad.

filipe

microsoft-sidewinder-mouse.jpg

Doesn't get any better for us big hand users. My brother grabbed the X8, but I still say this is the best version.

Top Bottom