• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry analysis of DOOM for Nintendo Switch

It's apparently been confirmed that the game fits on a 16 GB card and the multiplayer download is 9 GB.
http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/...at-30fps-multiplayer-download-is-9-gb-w504975

This tell us two things:
  • The entire experience could have been included in a 32 GB cart but they decided to cheap out and use a 16 GB cart
  • It seems we don't really need to worry about Wolfestein 2 storage size, unless it needs a 32 GB cart and they decide to cheap out again (I don't really want to give them ideas, but they could include 480p cutscenes on the cart and 1080p cutscenes as an optional download or something like that in order to not use a 32 GB cart)

I'd say it also tells us a third thing, that 32GB cards are apparently expensive enough to warrant publishers making these decisions to download portions of their games. That's a bit worrying but they can only come down in price from here.

It's apparently been confirmed that the game fits on a 16 GB card and the multiplayer download is 9 GB.
http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/...at-30fps-multiplayer-download-is-9-gb-w504975

This tell us two things:
  • The entire experience could have been included in a 32 GB cart but they decided to cheap out and use a 16 GB cart
  • It seems we don't really need to worry about Wolfestein 2 storage size, unless it needs a 32 GB cart and they decide to cheap out again (I don't really want to give them ideas, but they could include 480p cutscenes on the cart and 1080p cutscenes as an optional download or something like that in order to not use a 32 GB cart)
As much as I don’t care about the multiplayer, it sucks that it’s an optional download in this case. There aren’t any non-paint based adolescent cephalopod shooters on Switch and having the extra steps of having a large enough SD card and downloading it makes me think that the multiplayer will be dead on arrival.

Lorcain

Doom Switch is going to sell like crazy, same with Skyrim Switch. The average consumer doesn't even know about 60fps vs 30fps. Even as an enthusiast community there's no consensus on how much this matters to someone's enjoyment of the game.

BigDug13

As much as I don't care about the multiplayer, it sucks that it's an optional download in this case. There aren't any non-paint based adolescent cephalopod shooters on Switch and having the extra steps of having a large enough SD card and downloading it makes me think that the multiplayer will be dead on arrival.

I'm still hoping Blizzard gets on the ball with Overwatch. It seems like it should be doable with scaled down graphics while still being able to maintain the look because of the cartoony nature of the graphics. Kinda like how Borderlands 2 was doable on the Vita.

Would be ridiculous and instant double dip from me.

As far as Doom. I bought a 200GB card when I bought the machine. It's foolish not to have a decent SD card for this thing. I don't think 9 GB is going to prevent people who want a multiplayer game like this from being able to play it.

M3d10n

I'd say it also tells us a third thing, that 32GB cards are apparently expensive enough to warrant publishers making these decisions to download portions of their games. That's a bit worrying but they can only come down in price from here.

Actually, them using a 16GB card makes it more possible that it won't sell for $60. That's the same size as the RE:Revelations, which is sold at $40. The 32GB cards are only palatable if your game is sold at full price.

-EDIT-
I also realized the entire Doom download is smaller than RE:R1 + RE:R2 combined. Damn.

Doom Switch is going to sell like crazy, same with Doom Skyrim. The average consumer doesn't even know about 60fps vs 30fps. Even as an enthusiast community there's no consensus on how much this matters to someone's enjoyment of the game.

I know exactly what you meant to say there (Skyrim Switch, not Doom Skyrim) but I just found that typo hilarious for some reason.

Actually, them using a 16GB card makes it more possible that it won't sell for $60. That's the same size as the RE:Revelations, which is sold at $40. The 32GB cards are only palatable if your game is sold at full price.

-EDIT-
I also realized the entire Doom download is smaller than RE:R1 + RE:R2 combined. Damn.

Amazon already has it for $60 but I guess that could be a placeholder price. Anything under $60 would be marvelous but I really doubt it, since people will buy it at $60.

TheMoon

we knew that already^^

Really? By how much? I thought Switch was at least almost as powerful as base XB1.

Jesus Christ no. It's closer to Wii U than X1. Heck, the Tegra X1 is an old chip these days, although it has a few nifty GPU features the Xb1 doesn't.

Nintendo's general art styles and some rather decent pets help it look like it's punching above it's weight though.

As far as Doom. I bought a 200GB card when I bought the machine. It's foolish not to have a decent SD card for this thing. I don't think 9 GB is going to prevent people who want a multiplayer game like this from being able to play it.

People don't necessarily need an SD card if they have 9GB or more free on the Switch internal storage.

TheMoon

-EDIT-

DOOM is a one year old very current game, Resi Revs are multiple year old games ported to half a dozen systems already.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Doom Switch is going to sell like crazy, same with Skyrim Switch. The average consumer doesn't even know about 60fps vs 30fps. Even as an enthusiast community there's no consensus on how much this matters to someone's enjoyment of the game.

The average console consumer doesn't the various 150mil AMD and nvidia buyers the last few years do.

There shouldn't be a consensus considering it's based on a users preference.

I can't believe Nintendo are still censoring blood. :(

AkNyeS8.png

pswii60

Having not played it, could you explain to me why that's the case?
It's an incredibly fast and frenetic game with arcade like sensibilities. There are many moments in the game when you literally have enemies coming at you from all angles and you are moving, spinning around, jumping around, and strafing all over the show frantically trying to shoot the hell out of everything. In fact, the last third of the game is literally non stop. I can't help but think it wouldn't have been the same without the 60fps framerate, it certainly would have had an impact on my enjoyment of the game anyway. But if you've never played it you might not know what you're missing, so I wouldn't worry about it. Once you go 60fps with any game, it's difficult to go back. That doesn't mean the game isn't still a good game at 30fps.

I think the problem is that Nintendo marketed Switch as a console first and foremost, at least at the reveal. And the problem with that is that it's therefore getting directly compared to its console competitors. The reality is, it is very definitely a handheld and the fact that we have a handheld that can play these types of games at all is really quite unbelievable.

HeroR

It's an incredibly fast and frenetic game with arcade like sensibilities. There are many moments in the game when you literally have enemies coming at you from all angles and you are moving, spinning around, jumping around, and strafing all over the show frantically trying to shoot the hell out of everything. In fact, the last third of the game is literally non stop. I can't help but think it wouldn't have been the same without the 60fps framerate, it certainly would have had an impact on my enjoyment of the game anyway. But if you've never played it you might not know what you're missing, so I wouldn't worry about it. Once you go 60fps with any game, it's difficult to go back. That doesn't mean the game isn't still a good game at 30fps.

I think the problem is that Nintendo marketed Switch as a console first and foremost, at least at the reveal. And the problem with that is that it's therefore getting directly compared to its console competitors. The reality is, it is very definitely a handheld and the fact that we have a handheld that can play these types of games at all is really quite unbelievable.

They still call it a console. Being under power to the other consoles really doesn't matter to them since they went this route since the Wii.

I do not believe it is "cheapening out" to decide not to go with larger cartridges. The company is testing the waters with the console, and they need to maximize profits while analyzing software sale potential. The larger capacity cards come at a greater expense to them, which can also result in a higher cost to the customer which can hinder any potential sales bien of their game. Once more companies start supporting the system and when they have a greater need for the larger cards we will hopefully see a reduction in price for production for companies, and more software available for the customer.

EDarkness

Looking at more of the footage, I wonder if the texture quality has been decreased, not because the system can't have higher res textures, but in order to save space. With the size of the game being a fraction of what it is on the other systems, I'm thinking they are trying to keep the overall size of the game to some reasonable level. I wouldn't even be surprised if overall sound quality got dropped down a bit, too.

Cutebrute

Glixel claims the game runs at 720p when docked.

That sounds about right. I'll be curious to see if any effects are improved while docked and if performance is a rock solid 720p/30fps. It seems like the resolution is regularly dropping to really low numbers when undocked.

Cuburt

As much as I don’t care about the multiplayer, it sucks that it’s an optional download in this case. There aren’t any non-paint based adolescent cephalopod shooters on Switch and having the extra steps of having a large enough SD card and downloading it makes me think that the multiplayer will be dead on arrival.
I think it could still find a consistent community to support it exactly because there is such little competition to pull away players. See: CoD on the Wii/Wii U.

It won't have the same size player base as other platforms, but no one should have expected that. At least here, it won't be a ghost town in a month when the next big FPS drops like other consoles.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
We can sure do this. These are the same people who showed up in the Breath of the Wild thread saying that they wouldn't buy a Switch or play the Wii U/Switch versions because an CEMU update was coming out to allow it to run at 4k and it would be playable with stable framerate in a few months. They're one track minded and only concerned with optimal performance. Nothing else matters to them.
You say "these are the same people" huh? So you have repeat offenders you can name specifically, or are you just lumping everyone into one basket, to make it easier disregard their opinions?

andthebeatgoeson

It's this misconception that will lead to consistent disappointment throughout the generation.

On the flip side, people not thinking it's two wii u's duct taped together is a worse option.

And most people seem pleasantly suprised watching the videos. Since you can keep saves and redownload games, it's a crappy fridge situation but I think people will adapt. Kick up, buy a SD card. Too bad about voice chat tho. Would be the best way for people to get the word out.

Was playing splatoon last night and no one would use their specials during Salmon run. Was so disappointing. I was yelling at myself.

But on the bright side, I haven't been called a niggerjewfag by a 12 year old in a few years. So I take what I can.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Nah. Switch teardowns reveal just how jam-packed that thing is, removing the screen would only make it a bit thinner.

Though, if any of those consoles have external power bricks, you could fairly chop off like 1/3 of the Switch's length to compensate for the battery.
Thanks for the info!

RevenWolf

Honestly for a handheld mode (which is what I use mine exclusively for) it's still impressive. Not sure I'll pick up this as I'm not a huge fan of shooters on consoles but I'll definitely get skyrim.

Top Bottom