• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Aeana

Back in the first dungeon, every time we got to a save room, Morgana would be like "it's still a long ways to go," and generally manage expectations of dungeon length pretty well. Fast-forward to the fifth dungeon, and "the treasure is right behind that door" every time there's a door. An hour and five doors later, the treasure is still right behind that door.

Back in the first dungeon, every time we got to a save room, Morgana would be like "it's still a long ways to go," and generally manage expectations of dungeon length pretty well. Fast-forward to the fifth dungeon, and "the treasure is right behind that door" every time there's a door. An hour and five doors later, the treasure is still right behind that door.

Cat logic :p

cheesekao

Hows Vita remote play? Are L2 and R2 primary controls for the game? Hows text size, etc.
L2 is useless and R2 is used for running. Running isn't really essential since you're sneaking around palaces for the most part but it can cut down on traversal time in areas with no enemies. It's not useless but not hugely important either outside of a couple specific instances.

Zafir

Yes - at school on most days, and on some days she will even follow you around Shibuya
She stalks around a different area each day from what I saw.

I love her pathfinding. It's absolutely terrible. You run past her and instead of her just turning round normally, she'll literally run to the end of the corridor/street and u turn at the end, like a car or something. XD

Jintor

Yeah, I realize that but I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense.

i kinda get it but eh... it's the same reason why you can't trigger a holdup by hitting an already downed enemy with its weakness again, there's got to be bits of game design rules that supercede expectations

I love her pathfinding. It's absolutely terrible. You run past her and instead of her just turning round normally, she'll literally run to the end of the corridor/street and u turn at the end, like a car or something. XD

If you bust her in Shibuya she'll literally exit the map and come back again, so I think it's deliberate

CHC

Hows Vita remote play? Are L2 and R2 primary controls for the game? Hows text size, etc.

It works well, provided Remote Play works well for you in general, in terms of connection speed, etc (mine usually doesn't).

R2 / L2 are used very rarely - only for sprinting in dungeons as far I remember, which is not really ever necessary.

Text size is a bit on the small side but again, assuming your connection is good and you're getting non-compressed IQ, it's perfectly readable.

Zafir

i kinda get it but eh... it's the same reason why you can't trigger a holdup by hitting an already downed enemy with its weakness again, there's got to be bits of game design rules that supercede expectations

If you bust her in Shibuya she'll literally exit the map and come back again, so I think it's deliberate
They probably didn't bother to figure out the coding for every circumstance, then.

A lot of cases in school, she doesn't exit the map, she'll just run to the end of the corridor and come back.

Plum

Just got to the second half of the first palace and I have no clue how the turn system works. Why are enemies suddenly getting turns after just one of my team has attacked? It's frustrating, and I've been wiped twice on easy!

Raxus

Morgana is the secret antagonist in the series. Sending you to bed and trying to kill you at every turn.

I am on dungeon 4. I think I grinded too much in mementos. The SP regen items made it so I can spend nearly an infinite amount of time in these dungeons.

Just got to the second half of the first palace and I have no clue how the turn system works. Why are enemies suddenly getting turns after just one of my team has attacked? It's frustrating, and I've been wiped twice on easy!

turn order is based on agility

haha, glad i wasn't the only one who noticed. i actually thought it was kind of adorable.

My head canon is that she is doing it deliberately because she thinks that way you won't realise she is following you.

Jintor

turn order is based by agility, but certain enemies (particularly sub-bosses or bosses where there's only one) will get two turns per 'round'.

Zalman

Spoilers for November:

It's a little disappointed how obvious that "twist" was. Everyone could figure out who the traitor was. I remember Persona 4 being much more surprising. Anyway I'm still really enjoying it. I got a bad ending here, but moving on right now.

sn00zer

Pretty good.
L2 is rarely used during battles and R2 (sprint) isn't used that often. Only in dungeons and when backtracking.

It works well, provided Remote Play works well for you in general, in terms of connection speed, etc (mine usually doesn't).

R2 / L2 are used very rarely - only for sprinting in dungeons as far I remember, which is not really ever necessary.

Text size is a bit on the small side but again, assuming your connection is good and you're getting non-compressed IQ, it's perfectly readable.

L2 is useless and R2 is used for running. Running isn't really essential since you're sneaking around palaces for the most part but it can cut down on traversal time in areas with no enemies. It's not useless but not hugely important either outside of a couple specific instances.

Cool, thanks guys/gals. Cant imagine playing this on PS4, but might get it just for vita.

Hit a couple of bad localization lines when I'd say 95% of the time it's been good. Surprise, one of them was Sae. I wonder if different members worked on different characters? She talked about "cognitive psience". I mean maybe that's intentional but strange.

The other was Makoto saying they need to "talk to (char name) once" instead of at once.

cheesekao

They probably didn't bother to figure out the coding for every circumstance, then.
It's not that they didn't code it but rather the conditions for triggering a hold up are:
1. All enemies must be knocked down
2. You have to have a 1 more

When you kill an enemy after knocking down the rest without hitting its weakness or getting a critical, you do not get a 1 more so you've failed condition 2.

When you hit an already knocked down enemy with its weakness, you do not get a 1 more as it would break the game balance. As such, condition 2 is not met.

Sarek

She lived in America for a while which is why she can speak English. And she is quarter American and 3/4th Japanese, which is suppose to be the explanation for why she has blonde hair and blue eyes..lol. Cause somehow in her case the 1/4 recessive genes ended up coming on top of the 3/4 dominant genes.

I only remember her saying that she lived in Finland? Also Ann(e) (localization dropped the e, but that is her name still in on the Japanese P5 site) Takamäki is actually a Finnish name, and her appearance is stereotype Nordic.

A.J.

Banned
Spoilers for November:

It's a little disappointed how obvious that "twist" was. Everyone could figure out who the traitor was. I remember Persona 4 being much more surprising. Anyway I'm still really enjoying it. I got a bad ending here, but moving on right now.

The real twist was the counter twist to the obvious twist

FluxWaveZ

Spoilers for November:

That last sentence is the part that breaks it.

P5's twist here is better to me than any surprise P4 had.

TheMan

Finished up the tutorial dungeon, seems like I'm gearing up for my second major target
Mudarame.

Question: does most of the story revolve around relatively minor situations like this or do the stakes get higher later in the game?

Zafir

It's not that they didn't code it but rather the conditions for triggering a hold up are:
1. All enemies must be knocked down
2. You have to have a 1 more

When you kill an enemy after knocking down the rest without hitting its weakness or getting a critical, you do not get a 1 more so you've failed condition 2.

When you hit an already knocked down enemy with its weakness, you do not get a 1 more as it would break the game balance. As such, condition 2 is not met.

Uh, what? I'm talking about Makoto's pathfinding when she's stalking you.

I don't know what you're on about. :D

Temperance confidant/December spoiler question:

I left Kawakami's rank 8 until December, and apparently the next step is to see her after school and get a Mementos request. That's not possible for obvious reasons. Am I screwed out of maxing Temperance this playthrough?

Hit a couple of bad localization lines when I'd say 95% of the time it's been good. Surprise, one of them was Sae. I wonder if different members worked on different characters? She talked about "cognitive psience". I mean maybe that's intentional but strange.

The other was Makoto saying they need to "talk to (char name) once" instead of at once.

I'm in in the middle of the game and I've seen a couple straight-up broken sentences, missing words or context to make them comprehensible. Sae said one of them (a different example from yours) and a Ryuji-Motoko (or maybe it was Ann) exchange in a sushi bar was the other. Can't remember the specifics--wish I had a screenshot function...

I also feel like weird turns of phrase have become more common in the mid-game vs. the early-game. But maybe it's my imagination.

Raxus

Finished up the tutorial dungeon, seems like I'm gearing up for my second major target
Mudarame.

Question: does most of the story revolve around relatively minor situations like this or do the stakes get higher later in the game?

You target bigger bad guys to gain more notoriety.

It is intentional. The odd spelling even gets remarked upon in a later conversation.

NullMoon

Neo Member
So, without spoilers can anyone give me an idea on when is the cut off date for social links. I'm on 11/27 right now.

megalowho

11/21-11/24:

"WE ARE THE BAD GUYS AND HERE ARE THE BAD THINGS WE DID"
And then the leaps to get you back into your normal routine again. I liked most of the reveals in late November but execution was a bit clunky.

PSI-ence, I imagine it's a wordplay on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parapsychology

mike6467

Almost done with palace 5. There's a lot of legitimate complaints, but I'm enjoying large parts of it.

Honestly the thing that's triggered me the most is the fucking ambush/attack mechanic. Several times I've been in a position where I should've had an ambush, or at worst a normal attack, but I've gotten jumped and it's really screwed me over. It's worse in this palace because
of all the timers with the hydraulic presses. I'm fine with the timer mechanic, but when you throw several enemies into an open area you have to jump into in a limited time, I'm going to get super pissed if they get a jump when it's clear they shouldn't.

Almost done with palace 5. There's a lot of legitimate complaints, but I'm enjoying large parts of it.

Honestly the thing that's triggered me the most is the fucking ambush/attack mechanic. Several times I've been in a position where I should've had an ambush, or at worst a normal attack, but I've gotten jumped and it's really screwed me over. It's worse in this palace because
of all the timers with the hydraulic presses. I'm fine with the timer mechanic, but when you throw several enemies into an open area you have to jump into in a limited time, I'm going to get super pissed if they get a jump when it's clear they shouldn't.

Level Futabas confidant, this will make ambushes more managable, I know what do you mean though.

Szadek

How many days of free time to you get after palace 6?
I'm trying to figure out how many conidants I can still finish (without save scumming) before the game ends.

Man the difficulty of the palaces is no joke. I'm in palace 3 and sometimes I'll go in with almost full health across the board but I miss the ambush and the guys just completely waste me. with knock downs and 1-mores on the first round.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
She lived in America for a while which is why she can speak English. And she is quarter American and 3/4th Japanese, which is suppose to be the explanation for why she has blonde hair and blue eyes..lol. Cause somehow in her case the 1/4 recessive genes ended up coming on top of the 3/4 dominant genes.
I mean, it does happen. I have light hair/blue eyes and neither of my parents do.

DNAbro

That was awful. I thought the 4th dungeon was bad with that too. "We aren't even half way there" when there is like a 3rd left.

First time I've found time to post about P5 since it dropped, since, well, I've been doing nothing but working then playing on it.

GOTY - even after RE7, Nioh, Nier and BotW. If it sticks the landing like I hear it does then a contender for GOAT.

So, just cleared the SP vampire that was Palace 5, and hearing money and/or equipment may carry over, I'm looking to make myself self sufficent in Mementos for a while and earn that paper.

Does anyone know the ins and outs of the hold-up mechanics with regards to money: does the amount scale with the party's level/progress in the story? Your currently equipped persona? The level shadow you're holding up? linked to a specific Confidant? or randomised.

Dungeon 6 is fun but I just want to reach the endgame at this point. And I'm completely destroying every enemy on my path. I'm thinking of bumping up the difficulty to hard but I'm a bit hesitant.

Top Bottom