• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's some of the most openly racist acts you've personally experienced?

My mother openly wondering why we didn't eliminate all of the maori, because we were "the conquerers" and they "have no right to complain about anything [because we let them live]".

I was a freshman in college with my fraternity brothers in Oxford, Ohio (Home of Miami University) right after we were initiated. Was walking back to our hotel and randomly some dude standing outside of a bar called me a nigger.

I gave him a WTF look and kept on walking. Looking back, I wish I said something and beat his ass. But probably better that didn't happen.

Jeff6851

Personally, none. That I've heard is probably defending killing Natives because they didn't actually believe in land ownership and they fought each other.

Assuming this was a joke, I'd say this one is more innocuous than 'openly racist'? I can see how it'd be annoying ("hurr hurr basketball jokes"), but it doesn't seem inherently mean-spirited to me (of course, I'm white so I realize my perspective is very limited).

The others in the list are all kinds of fucked up though. :(

Funny, talked to that same coworker about the other guy saying my hand was too black and that was his exact response.

I got a few.

-In two separate instances, got asked directly by a young kid if they could call me a chink. First time was from a kid living in the same neighborhood and the second time was a random kid in a McDonalds while I was at the soda fountain.

-In high school, was sitting by the door of a classroom minding my business and random kid walks by the door and makes ching chong noises.

-Driver's ed teacher told me "we drive on the right side of the road here".

-Waiting in checkout line at a store with some relatives, old guy standing directly behind us with probably his family says "What is this the Mekong River?"

As a younger person, I would more likely take these things more personally, but as I've gotten older, I see these more as instances of uneducated, unenlightened, dysfunctional patterns of thinking unconsciously passed on spewing out into the world. People pick up and learn these things.

I used to look back fondly at my high school as this nice melting pot, but that large collection of all colors lead to A LOT of ignorant being said. I shrugged it all off at the time, but I do find myself going "hey wait a second" often enough. Maybe it was mostly ignorance, but damn, some kids were pushing it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Funny, talked to that same coworker about the other guy saying my hand was too black and that was his exact response.
I see. :( I'm sorry if I came across as insensitive. I was just genuinely wondering if, by itself, it was really that bad or just a lame and tired joke. I certainly wouldn't put "your hands are too black" (seriously, WTF) in that category.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I was born in the 70s, too. I'm a white male and from the south. Seemed like when I was young there were always people that would want to get you alone and find out if you're racist, because they were racist and were always on the lookout for new racist friends. They'd test you, I guess, to find out if you're "good white people" (in their messed up perspective, ofc).

I was fortunately raised better than that. I learned that you absolutely have to tell them you're not into it, otherwise they see you as one of them, and will expose you to more bullshit. As a kid it was intimidating, honestly. I was frightened a few times.

I heard a lot of dumb, hateful shit growing up, either from other boys or their parents.

Obviously I don't know what it's like to have that kind of hate directed of me. But I wanted to say this was how it was. I think the shit gets downplayed in a way that it shouldn't, you know? I sometimes feel that whites from my part of the world--even otherwise good, decent people, don't talk about the kind of nonsense that goes on down here.

I'm Sri Lanka heritage But was adopted by Australians and live in Australia.

I was going for a run and had a drink (alcoholic) thrown at me.

Been called plenty of things on the sporting field. (opposition players sent off on the different occasions).

Getting served last and with attitude at bars (a woman I was with pointed this out to me).

Getting kicked out of a bar for "whistling" at a bar maid - I didn't and she was making it up.

My friends have had a few "where the hell is guy from" comments from people who I've just met behind my back.

Accused by a fellow Australian of not being Australian and faking my accent in a hostel in Mexico.

I've been bullied at school for being different (I was the only person I'd colour my year at my private school).

The thing that I hate the most is the assumption that I'm less Australian than others. I was adopted and my parent's families have been in the country longer than most. So I have laughed a couple of times when there have been comments along the lines of "your family doesn't fight for Australia" and I can reply with "actually, they did".

y2dvd

-Had people say "ching ching chong" in a mocking manner.
-Referred to as Jackie Chan.
-Called a chunk.
-Discriminated at clubs (and I dress fly every time!)

border

A recent time I experienced racism in my favor:

My friend and I (both white) like to eat out at a crawfish restaurant in a lower-income neighborhood. Because they serve seafood and serve a largely black clientele, after about six months the restaurant decided to institute a mandatory 12% service charge on all checks. Up until that point, servers were supposedly getting stiffed so frequently that they couldn't retain staff. This seems kind of stupid to me, because at that point why not just mark up all the menu prices by 12%, and give the servers 12% of their sales? Anyhow....

We sit down, eat dinner, and make pretty friendly chit-chat with a couple of the black guys at the bar. Eventually our check comes, and we are both looking for the line-item on our checks where the 12% service charge has been added because we are looking to tip around 20%. In reference to the bartender one of the black guys says to us "Oh she won't add that charge on there if you're a friend of hers." From the way we'd been talking and interacting with her though, it would have been pretty clear to him that we had no idea who she was and that we were not friends with her. So we're all just kind of uncomfortably sitting there, with this unspoken knowledge that we didn't get a service charge added purely because we were white and the bartender thought we would give her a tip better than 12%. At that point I wasn't really sure what to do.

An Aunt making some "Ching Chong Ching Chong" joke about my Chinese girlfriend.

My girl friend's mother constantly says shit about me to her when I'm in the same room, like "how could you be with someone not Chinese."

Overall the level of racism is lower than I'd expect for an interracial relationship, but I guess white guy East Asian girl is one of the most socially "acceptable" pairings.

That reminds me. A friend of mine also has a Chinese wife, the gf saw the texts his mom sent to him and it was like "Cant you see she is just there to take your money. Chinese are poor. They just want your money."
She has a MBA, worked for over 10 years as an accountant in China and earned well. He is a student. She is paying for both of them, he doesnt even have a part-time job.

Other than that at family gatherings just having my great aunt/uncle somehow always mentioning Chinese, when my wife is there. Last time it was "Well. Chinese are faking everything."

Edit: I remember I even made a thread on GAF about the first guy, then someone asked me what enthnicity the female is, I answered Chinese and he said she must be a golddigger. Guy wasnt even banned.

Nicolada

I'm latino, but I'd get called a "racist white monkey" by other Mexican kids in middle school. I came from a more assimilated background, lived in a more mixed neighborhood, and hung out with white kids more often, so I guess that rubbed some Mexican classmates the wrong way.

Mohonky

How many of y'all have had people tryna touch your hair?

Like what is with that shit

I has blonde hair as a kid and lived in Asia, lots of people touched it.

Kind of makes you stand out and its different, suppose they wanted to know if it felt the same.

my story took place in japan. my then girlfriend, now wife and i were bar hopping in roppongi. we entered a pretty crowded place and at one of the four person tables there was a black guy sitting by himself. we asked if he minded if we sat with him, he said no, and we sat down. waiter came by and the wife and i ordered drinks. we got to chatting with the guy at the table and he told us he was in japan for work, liked to come to this place because they showed the football (soccer) games, normal small talk. waiter came back and checked on my wife and i but never addressed the black guy at the table, who was trying to get his attention to order something. i was a bit oblivious, but my wife, to her credit, realized that the waiter was refusing to serve the guy. so she asked him what he wanted, flagged down the waiter and ordered for him. later when we left she cried on the street because she couldnt believe how badly the guy was treated. he kind of took it in stride, but shitty to witness.

the210

I was spit on and called the N word by a classmate in Jr High.

I had a car load of white folks yelling the N word at me as I walked down the street before speeding off.

Two white men and one White lady got in my face outside a fast food joint. They were telling me how I shouldn't be in their neighborhood making threats and calling me the N-word. Unfortunately for them they didn't realize I was with a much larger group of 20 or so people.

The thing that gets to me the most though isn't getting called the N-word. It's working with different non-black people over the years and always being told I'm not like other blacks or I don't act black. The reality is they don't really know many black people apart from the stereotype's they see on TV.

The thing that gets to me the most though isn't getting called the N-word. It's working with different non-black people over the years and always being told I'm not like other blacks or I don't act black. The reality is they don't really know many black people apart from the stereotype's they see on TV.

This seems to happen way too often.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Ride a bicycle. I've been called about every racial profanity while having shit thrown at me, attempts to hit me, run off the road, someone even got out of their car and chased me with a metal pipe or knife.

Police on black shooting in my city.

Peaceful protests take place that week.

My vanpool driver tells me he carried his gun all week (this is not a carry state). Also, there were other white people attending the protest. He also called it "the riots".

Another white co-worker asked me if I attended the protest, I said "no".

He said "I did. I was handing out watermelons".

And yes I immediately got in his ass.

I had this old Japanese guy walk up to me in Tokyo when I was a kid and touched me on the forehead when my mom had left me for a second outside a store. He looked to his finger to see if some of my darkness rubbed off on him. My mom came and saw him, she was furious and yelled at him and chased him away.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Had two nazis threatened to kill me in a parking lot at night.

Was standing in line at a store and some dipshit in front of me made a comment about getting jewed. I told him I was jewish and he should watch his fucking mouth. As you'd expect from a cowardly bigot he just cowered and apologised.

I was giving a ride to a friend and a friend of his whom I didn't know. The guy started going off on a tirade and started talking about "niggers" and how they are all criminals. I stopped the car at the side of the road and kicked him out in the middle of nowhere.

When I lived in Vietnam I heard and saw a significant amount of racism towards Chinese and Africans. Chinese where the boogie men who were responsible for all the bad things that happened and Africans were all drug dealers and pimps.

Kuwait has a lot of racism towards non gcc citizens, Indians in particular are treated like shit and actively discriminated against.

Oh and living in Japan in the 80's we faced a lot of polite racism.

Not an act, but just tonight, at my kid's baseball game, I saw a biker with an "88" vest and his wife with a confederate flag on hers. Their conversation with nearby people was totally normal... they just blasted hate waves with their clothes. It was surreal, especially after this weekend... I mean, what??

Honestly I kept thinking I must be overanalyzing the 88 but in context... nah... it was just some dude broadcasting (in code) that he loves hitler. smdh

Arksy

As a Dutch-Turkish guy growing up in the Netherlands.

When I wanted to play soccer:
"No you can't play soccer with us, nobody likes Turkish people"

When I got my first car cops stop me two times same night:
"where are you going? Home. Do you have something in your trunk?"

At work someone tells my boss:
"why would you hire a foreign guy when there are so many real Dutch people unemployed?"

So much more.

Holy crap. That's some bullshit. Growing up here in Australia as an ethnic Turk was fine. Very little true racism towards Turks. You should migrate here. Being Jewish though, I've heard some messed up things. Never really directed at me.

I'm Sri Lanka heritage But was adopted by Australians and live in Australia.

I was going for a run and had a drink (alcoholic) thrown at me.

Been called plenty of things on the sporting field. (opposition players sent off on the different occasions).

Getting served last and with attitude at bars (a woman I was with pointed this out to me).

Getting kicked out of a bar for "whistling" at a bar maid - I didn't and she was making it up.

My friends have had a few "where the hell is guy from" comments from people who I've just met behind my back.

Accused by a fellow Australian of not being Australian and faking my accent in a hostel in Mexico.

I've been bullied at school for being different (I was the only person I'd colour my year at my private school).

The thing that I hate the most is the assumption that I'm less Australian than others. I was adopted and my parent's families have been in the country longer than most. So I have laughed a couple of times when there have been comments along the lines of "your family doesn't fight for Australia" and I can reply with "actually, they did".

But then again, Australia can be pretty messed up too. Being ethnic and never really feeling the sting of racism may have blinded me to some bullshit. That's disgusting that you had to go through that.

Moppeh

Banned
I'm white and I used to have a gig guarding the RCMP drunk tank in Iqaluit.

I got used to being called the most heinous shit ever rather quickly.

I'm white and as such I've never had any racist behavior directed toward me. But I have had random racist people open up about their views to me, I guess assuming I would agree?

I remember one time my sister and I were at a party chilling on a couch when this dude came up and started talking to us. Just idle chitchat, when he said something that was just a little bit weird, prompting a "wait, what?!" from me. He then delved into a big diatribe about middle easterners and muslims that was completely ridiculous in how bigoted it was. We tried to argue with him and point out the flaws in his logic til we eventually realized it was a lost cause.

The whole time our Persian/Pakistani friend is sitting 3 feet away. Either this dude just really gave no shits who he offended, or he thought we would be on his side. That was the first time I ever encountered obvious bigotry from someone my own age. Up to that point I thought it was a product of the past and that those views would just die out with time. It was weird realizing just how naive I had been.

I just remembered my middle school had a primarily black student body, there was one white boy I shared some classes with whose last name was Ritz. As you can guess, his nickname was Ritz Cracker. :/

Thankfully ain't been through a lot

"You sounded white over the phone"
"You're so articulate"
"You're black, but you're not BLACK"
"You're a credit to your people"
"You're one of the black guys I could bring home to my family"
(After telling my life story to a sea of white faces)"You said that story so nice, with a little 'hustle' to it"

Having a woman pull her purse to the other side as I walked by
Someone locking the door as I passed their car
Being followed in stores

Bout it rn

I hate comments like these. It's not rare for black people to enjoy reading, speak "standard" English, etc.

Even worse is getting "you sound white on the phone" comments from other black people. Or "why are you trying to act white" when you have an interest in nerd stuff and pop/rock music. C'mon folks.

How many of y'all have had people tryna touch your hair?

Like what is with that shit

*groans*
I had dreadlocks throughout high school. Had a classmate grab my hair and remark that it felt like cheetos(?). A girl pat my head like I was a dog as she passed me in the hall. Funnily enough I had always liked her hair since she dyed it cute colors, but I kept my hands to myself.

Gin-Shiio

I live in a village close to Stuttgart, Germany. At school, we had exactly two black people in my year. I mention this to make clear how non-diverse our area is. One day, our Latin teacher took a peek at our music class and saw the black kid use the drums. He said "Oh, Leroy. Did you bring your jungle drums?"

The same day after Latin class, I was one of the last people to leave the room and witnessed Leroy walk towards the teacher's table, raise his fist and threaten to use it should he ever disrespect him again. The old man almost pissed himself, I could tell. It was really tense, and now that I am older and have the perspective, I am really glad he stood up for himself.

haimon

Back in college I hooked up with a chick that had some racist friends. Once he heard my name and realized I was Jewish he left the place.

A few days later he and his friends jumped me. Got a few if my buddies and we ended up beating the shit out of the lot of them.

Never came near me again.

dopplr

Had a white guy literally try to run me and a friend over at an intersection we were crossing(we had the right of way, passed a red to try and ram us). After he failed he tried to intimidate us by driving next to us - picked up the closest rocks next to us and chucked it at his shitty truck - he hightails it while throwing the bird at us.

I've used words I shouldn't have myself. Growing up in Alabama it's hard not to, honestly. It's pervasive down there and while I thought I was using it jokingly or in good fun. I never really thought about how my friends took it. So since getting older and getting away from the south I've tried to never use those words even jokingly.

I_D

This was about 7ish years ago at this point.

I used to live in Western Virginia (not West Virginia) in a town that is mostly white but there's recently been a large influx of Hispanics. A new hospital was being built, which is relevant to the story.

So my buddies and I - boys, girls, many races - had just finished eating at Cici's pizza, and we stepped outside for a cigarette (don't ever smoke, btw).

As we smoked, a guy inside started knocking on the window and gesturing for us to come inside. When we didn't, he lit up a cigarette inside and kept waving for us to do the same. Obviously the workers inside asked him to stop smoking, and he started screaming at them, so they kicked him out. Turns out he had a little girl (maybe 7 or 8 years old) with him, his daughter most likely, so they both came outside where we were.

Once he was near enough to talk to us, he immediately broke into the "If this was a free country we'd smoke inside. Those damn communists are ruining everything around here."

So we tried to settle him down. "It's unhealthy, it can taint food, etc.," but he wasn't having it. We all found this situation a bit funny, so we lit up some more cigarettes to chat with him, but he just kept on rambling so we listened.

As it turns out, the local hospital was never going to be finished because the spics are too lazy to finish anything, but that's all according to the government's plan because... reasons?

He kept going on and on. I learned a lot from him. As it turns out, all Hispanics are from Mexico, and they never shower which is why they always have wet backs. And did you know that black people are scientifically proven to be less intelligent than other races? He didn't have the peer-reviewed study on hand, but he sounded pretty confident.

While he was explaining all of these amazing insights, his daughter was goose-stepping in circles around us.

My friend jokingly said something like "Wow, she has some nice dance moves," to which he replied "She? That's my brother!" He was pretty mad.

We've never 'noped' out of a place faster than that.

Mm... being called "nigger" randomly has to be up there.

Or maybe my friends being sat against a wall in public because someone had called in saying they smelled weed (they were smoking black n milds).

Or...

Estoc

Got "ching chong ding dong" in broad daylight, while I was with my friends.

Got called a "gok" as I walked passed some chav.

Hull, UK, by the way.

I've said a couple of things I shouldn't, and even years later, with no one but myself to remind me of them, the shame and embarrassment and guilt of it sticks. Apart from that, I've lived to see plenty of unconcerned casual slurs directed at all sorts and at nobody in particular.

Sort of a tangent though, but I feel like in recent years, homophobia in young people has fallen precipitously in north america, and that gives me a lot of hope.

Braag

When I was about 8 years old our crazy racist neighbour threatened to take me to the woods and kill me there, he also smashed my dad's car with a baseball bat. They got evicted eventually due to their behaviour.
In school I used to regularly get into fist fights with racist assholes. I grew up in a city which didn't have many minorities so I guess we got extra attention.

Noctix

When i was studying in Melbourne 2007-2009 i have been called a terrorist few times, was told to go back to my country and apparently some guy told me my presence makes him wanna puke (no I don't smell...). I am brown btw

2 years ago some cunt called my wife who was with my 2 year old son a terrorist. Yeah fuck racist cunts. My wife refuses to go outside without me.

This AB dude got upset that I did a shakedown on his cell. He started calling me every racial profanity you can think of. I wasn’t having any of that and I sent his ass to shu. After that I never had a problem with him again.

I've been called nigger way more than I thought possible in my short life, I've had the occasional slave "joke." Was pulled over 8 times in 2015 all of them in my own neighborhood.

My ex is Muslim, she's had all kinds of shit thrown at her to include nigger. We were both called indirectly nigger when Trump won.

A girl I dated in HS has been called Jap

A girl I dated in college was told to go back to Mexico (She's a citizen 3rd generation from Colombia)

People used to call me chick and pick physical fights with me the moment I started school. And I'm not talking one on ones. I guess the worst case of it recently was someone singing "Domo arigato mister roboto" while passing me.

Dadasch

I had some experiences in my life, but I don't care most of the time. So much so that I don't even remember them properly anymore.
What I remember though is how the principal of the elementary school nearby didn't want to take me in, because I couldn't recognize the color blue. In Germany we have - maybe not in all federal states - an examination by a doctor before even entering the school and the doctor said I was perfectly fine, principal refused. So I had to go to something we call "Vorschule" for a year, which means that I started school a year later.
Then after completing elementary with pretty good grades I wanted to enter a "Gymnasium", which is sort of a High School (High School is divided in three different kind of schools in Germany, depending on how your grades are), but it was in a different city and they told me that I should go to the High School nearby, which was - of course - not a "Gymansium". I think you can guess where the other kids with the good grades went...

So my mom transfered with me to that city - on paper - so that I could attend the School I wanted to.

Yeah, things are not perfect here.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Being called chink. Constantly asked every day what the hell I was or where I was from. O and people just loved to ask me if I ate dogs. This was all in high school with majority white students. First time I ever felt like a minority.

Meadows

Banned
I've been with my Taiwanese-born GF for 7 years (I'm white). The only thing I've ever experienced with her is that once a drunk guy said "konichiwa" (sp?) as we walked past, and then ran away once I turned around to confront him.

I guess that isn't really that bad for 7 years. In that time we lived in York for 2.5 years and Manchester for 4.5 years.

When I lived in Taiwan for 6 months, I had a lot of people staring at me and taking pictures of me all the time, but that isn't "racist" I guess, just more that they aren't used to seeing white people there. I did have one case where a guy suddenly shut his stall when I came over to buy something, but the vast, vast majority of the people there are so nice that it didn't really occur to me that it might be racially motivated.

disco

Hm. I've had a bit of homophobia but nothing too bad. I don't want to discount anybody else by saying this: but I actually found having 'puffs' shouted at me and my ex boyfriend by a couple of white-van white men, hilarious and well, just so so ridiculous. We laughed and carried on on our merry way to the theatre that evening.

Not a lot. White people privileges and that. Maybe in school, being told that I was not basque because despite being born there because I did not have a basque surname or enough generations.

On the other hand, if you want to talk about transphobia... Oh boy, that could be long.

Trickster

I'm a white guy in denmark, so I've never really experienced anything directed at me.

But the worst thing I've seen personally was at my local pizzaria where a few weeks back some old fuck started telling the staff (middle eastern folks, nice people) that we speak danish here after one staff member said (in danish) to another, that my pizza was ready.

Only time I've seen an open display of racism here though. Hate to admit that I didn't call him out on it, I was so thrown off by it that I didn't know what to do in the moment.

I'm a white guy in denmark, so I've never really experienced anything directed at me.

But the worst thing I've seen personally was at my local pizzaria where a few weeks back some old fuck started telling the staff (middle eastern folks, nice people) that we speak danish here after one staff member said (in danish) to another, that my pizza was ready.

Only time I've seen an open display of racism here though. Hate to admit that I didn't call him out on it, I was so thrown off by it that I didn't know what to do in the moment.

Wait, he told them to speak Danish after they spoke Danish? Wth?

Sky Chief

Just the other day I was walking in a parking lot with a co-worker (we're both white) and a guy driving past us with a huge truck said to us "I would have hit you but I get no points for whites".

In college three friends got arrested for something they didn't do. They all received the same charges. The police came and handcuffed and walked out the black guy. They also took his shoes and shoelaces so he was barefoot in the holding call because "he could have hung himself with them" even though he was not suicidal. His bail was set at $10k and the others $3k for exactly the same charge. The two other guys who were white we're just asked to go and turn themselves in at the station. So crazy how the black guy was treated like a complete criminal and the other two were just treated like normal human beings.

Top Bottom