• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redout |OT| - #WipEout #F-Zero

Baleoce

Playing this for the first time after reinstalling the Enhanced Edition, and going from a GTX760 to a GTX1060 6GB.

Night. And. Day.. Jesus.

I am so happy with this game. It was really choppy for me before so I couldn't really enjoy it properly. Smooth as butter now at max settings.

I thought I'd try a different controller / control method as an experiment as well. Using a fighting game pad of all things (hori commander 4), with the d-pad set to function as the left stick on the pad, and the in-game control settings set to "Arcade" so the strafing is done with L1/R1, and the pitching is done with up/down on the d-pad. The way I end up holding it is ignoring the 6-button layout on the pad and just using the first 4, and holding strafes with my two index, and brake/accel with the middle fingers. So no fingers actually need to move from their spot.

Odd I know, but I'm gonna stick with it for a while. I know some will say the lack of analogue steering / strafing / pitching is a no no, but I've not missed it so far tbh. It's odd, but it seems to work. Ended up using the d-pad in Mario Kart 8 as well tbh. Never got on well with analog in arcade / kart racers. Don't know why.

Skyzard

Banned
Playing this for the first time after reinstalling the Enhanced Edition, and going from a GTX760 to a GTX1060 6GB.

Night. And. Day.. Jesus.

I am so happy with this game. It was really choppy for me before so I couldn't really enjoy it properly. Smooth as butter now at max settings.

I thought I'd try a different controller / control method as an experiment as well. Using a fighting game pad of all things (hori commander 4), with the d-pad set to function as the left stick on the pad, and the in-game control settings set to "Arcade" so the strafing is done with L1/R1, and the pitching is done with up/down on the d-pad. The way I end up holding it is ignoring the 6-button layout on the pad and just using the first 4, and holding strafes with my two index, and brake/accel with the middle fingers. So no fingers actually need to move from their spot.

Odd I know, but I'm gonna stick with it for a while. I know some will say the lack of analogue steering / strafing / pitching is a no no, but I've not missed it so far tbh. It's odd, but it seems to work. Ended up using the d-pad in Mario Kart 8 as well tbh. Never got on well with analog in arcade / kart racers. Don't know why.

That sounds like it would be fun to try. I'm a big d-pad fan for wipeout games, will give this a shot, though I'm already used to the controls with the game.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

The game does need a lot to get those visuals, will be interesting to see how it is on Switch. Hopefully they can get it right...but I fear it will be 30fps.

Baleoce

That sounds like it would be fun to try. I'm a big d-pad fan for wipeout games, will give this a shot, though I'm already used to the controls with the game.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

The game does need a lot to get those visuals, will be interesting to see how it is on Switch. Hopefully they can get it right...but I fear it will be 30fps.

Yeah I'm the same with WipeOut as well. And it'll definitely be interesting to see how it runs on Switch. I'll consider double dipping when I eventually get one because having it on a portable would be nice. Game looks lovely, but I think I'd take frame rate as priority when they try to optimise it for switch.

Vitacat

Now, to get this on the Switch or the PS4?

I'm waiting for reviews. But if the Switch port plays well and looks good enough, I'll go Switch to have it portable as well as on TV.

Fast RMX has proven that a 60fps racer on Switch can look and perform great, so hopefully Redout does too.

Tizoc

Tempted to grab this off Humble for around $15ish, but I have a feeling it'll be cheaper or appear in a bundle in the near future :S

abracadaver

Whats the best way to get around corners?

Break and steer or only use both sticks to steer? I hit the walls way to often and I'm not sure when exactly to use the right stick

vermadas

Whats the best way to get around corners?

Break and steer or only use both sticks to steer? I hit the walls way to often and I'm not sure when exactly to use the right stick

Don't use the brake. Leading up to the corner steer the right-stick away from the turn (your ship will "drift"). Then when you actually take the corner move the right-stick into the turn. It's tricky. Someone earlier in the thread posted this video that shows the concept - you can see how the sticks are used in the upper-right corner.

Skyzard

Banned
Holy SHIT how good is this game now! Wow.

Huge update released today http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1373373

Including DLC

https://a.pomf.cat/muyzju.webm

^This is a fantastic track, I've practiced it a lot more since that video :p Some real fast vertical bends with tiny adjustments and a corner that's a bit troublesome

Old track visuals have been reworked too. It just looks amazing and is so fun to play.

I was hoping they'd take it to the next level and they've landed it tbh.

Calm Mind

Holy SHIT how good is this game now! Wow.

Huge update released today http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1373373

Including DLC

https://a.pomf.cat/muyzju.webm

^This is a fantastic track, I've practiced it a lot more since that video :p Some real fast vertical bends with tiny adjustments and a corner that's a bit troublesome

Old track visuals have been reworked too. It just looks amazing and is so fun to play.

I was hoping they'd take it to the next level and they've landed it tbh.

I knew UE4 was amazing but this level of optimization is beyond my wildest dreams.

MissChief

Grabbed this game on Humble Store yesterday, totally worth it !

Does anybody know if it's possible to use a custom soundtrack for this game ? The songs are bad ... but they are bland as hell ..

Just to clarify, you are hitting the opposite trigger to the direction you are turning in? I.e, sharp left turn, turn left on analog stick and pull right trigger (if playing classic or arcade settings cant remember which is which) this causes your ship to slide and lets you do some pretty insanely sharp turns, then boost out of the corner to get your speed back.

holy shit, I never realized why I was hitting the wall so much ... thank you so much ! :D

Skyzard

Banned
Buy this game right now if you have any self-respect as a gamer who likes futuristic racers.

£13.50 on humble bundle

stop fucking about

Miutsu

Grabbed this game on Humble Store yesterday, totally worth it !

Does anybody know if it's possible to use a custom soundtrack for this game ? The songs are bad ... but they are bland as hell ..

holy shit, I never realized why I was hitting the wall so much ... thank you so much ! :D

It doesn't support it right now which is why I have just started playing with Music volume set to 0 and wipeout music playing on spotify in the background.

Impressed by the commitment to ongoing, substantial updates. Hope it continues.

The music that plays during first of the new Neptune DLC tracks is definitely more interesting than any of the other music that I can recall (from playing the game for a bit at launch), with some repeating ‘Spiderman Suite'/Elfman-style flourishes starting at 0:12, giving way to gradually intensifying Hans Zimmer-esque layered atmospherics, with some nice vocal and guitar inflections here and there as the piece builds.

XandBosch

Any chance someone here has played Fast RMX on Switch and this game? How do they compare? This game looks a bit more like Episode 1 Racer (which is a good thing), so I'm eyeing it. Don't want to waste my money if the two games are similar enough for one to skip though.

Any chance someone here has played Fast RMX on Switch and this game? How do they compare? This game looks a bit more like Episode 1 Racer (which is a good thing), so I'm eyeing it. Don't want to waste my money if the two games are similar enough for one to skip though.
Was gonna ask the same thing.

Fast RMX doesn't feel like a futuristic ship racer as much as WipeOut ever did. It feels like they just replaced the model of a really fast car with a ship, and this is because the ships feel so stuck at a certain distance from the ground. Comparatively, WipeOut's Studio Liverpool put a lot of effort into the bobs of the ship as it glided along, the way it landed after a long jump, all these small details to feel like you're in a ship.

Also, Fast RMX suffers from a course selection that goes for quantity over quality and an unnecessarily tight camera angle.

Cyanity

Banned
How does this game compare to FAST RMX? Is it actually fun to play multiplayer, or does it have FAST RMX's problem where once a player gets into first place, they pretty much stay there forever?

edit - I'm dumb and should have read some posts before asking this question.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Does anyone know if the last update made VR better? Pre update I read it was pretty bad, otherwise I'd have it already.

Gestault

Does anyone know if the last update made VR better? Pre update I read it was pretty bad, otherwise I'd have it already.

I'm curious for myself (and I bet others reading may be as well), are the issues related to things like VR-level performance hitching hurting the immersion, or more perspective/movement related?

Skyzard

Banned
They improved performance without a doubt - I went from 1080p to 1440p and max settings.

Give it a try.

buy this fucking game it's amazing and 13.50 is bananas

these guys did brilliantly with this

TOP TIER futuristic racer

They improved performance without a doubt - I went from 1080p to 1440p and max settings.

Give it a try.

buy this fucking game it's amazing and 13.50 is bananas

these guys did brilliantly with this

Is the one on humble bundle the same as what's on steam? I.e., the "enhanced edition"

Skyzard

Banned
Is the one on humble bundle the same as what's on steam? I.e., the "enhanced edition"

It's the same thing most likely, there's only one version on steam, and I'm pretty sure it's a steam key that you get with the humbebundle sale.

It probably won't include the recent dlc, you can decide to get it later if you want - there's a lot of game there anyway.

Skyzard

Banned
set if everything to epic if you can, post processing maybe to medium

HDR will enable automatically

you'll get better don't worry

it's fucking sweet :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Vertigo Bonebreaker was damn hard.

In general, survival events seem like the hardest ones, I struggled on the previous one too. They require mastery of the track and perfecting your raceline even more than time trial events. Health and "surviving" are actually irrelevant - using the shield, healing, or hull powerups proved useless because if I was hitting enough walls and mines to need them, I wasn't going to come close to Gold because of time.

This game is great though. Feels like a great balance between the strengths of both Wipeout and F-Zero to me and is scratching that itch for both (despite Omega Collection hitting in a week, unlikely to jump into that too soon).

It has certainly clicked with me a lot more than FAST Racing Neo did on Wii U. I didn't get into that enough to want to sink a lot of time into it but I can't stop coming back to Redout.

Soundtrack is great too. Love this song.

Oh, and if anyone wants to trade color schemes I have a duplicate Tangerine Sunset to trade for anything except Frozen Water.

These drops are terrible. I've gotten three of the same color scheme and a livery for the worst team in the game.

Got gold on everything in the first two classes, and class three is going to end that with the very first event. I sucked at cylinders in F-Zero and I'm not doing much better here. I can get out of them pretty cleanly but I just can't get through them without spinning all over and losing a ton of time. Been trying for over two hours and only hit bronze time three times, two of them only barely.

Worst part is, I know the game is going to throw a survival event at me on this track. I doubt I'll ever manage bronze on that.

MaLDo

Today I wrote this comment in steam forum

http://steamcommunity.com/app/517710/discussions/0/1291817837635162441/

I finally found what is the main problem with graphics in Redout
Playing this game always give me the impression that graphics are not right. There is some kind of grainy effect everywhere that ruins the IQ.

After messing with every option I found is not a problem with resolution neither motion blur. Culprit is the LOD dissolve effect.

Redout uses a checkerboard pattern for LOD dissolve and is pretty excessive because when moving at fast speeds, the dissolve happens under your nose.

For testing purposes, you can disable antialiasing, disable motion blur and put detail distance to low. This way you can see the problem playing at lower speed.

What happens in regular playing is that motion blur combined with dissolve pattern creates a non uniform grainy look that ruins everything.

I just found a way to fix the problem. In the path C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\redout\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

Edit the Scalability.ini file and put this

[ViewDistanceQuality@3]
r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.1

Obviously, you have to use Epic value in View distance option in the game. In my case I don't have a performance hit, but maybe is no the case for everyone. What is clear is that LOD dissolve is gone and the game is way prettier now.

Skyzard

Banned
^ I honestly couldn't tell the difference but I don't play on max post processing settings. I'll take you're word for it for sure and left it in the ini :)

New patch + DLC [2.2GB total]:

Redout Patch 1.3.0
Redout: Enhanced Edition - Drowne
A total of 77 changes from version 1.2.1 to version 1.3.0

Redout TheSecondDLC™ Edition: V.E.R.T.E.X. DLC, new Europa song, change lobby options, more fixes.

V.E.R.T.E.X. PACK
V.E.R.T.E.X. is our second DLC (TheSecondDLC™) that adds a new (virtual) environment to your Redout Experience™. The Virtual Environment for Redout Training EXperience will give you access to 5 new tracks, a boss race, two new songs and two liveries for each ship (including Buran, if you own ThePreviousDLC™). Hope you enjoy the new tracks, specifically crafted to be simple to navigate initially, but incredibly hard to master and top the leaderboards.

v3Q1Zn6.jpg

Grab it here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/627430/Redout__VERTEX_Pack/

OFFICIAL DISCORD COMMUNITY
Our Discord community just reached 500+ active users! If you haven't, you should definitely check it out: https://discord.me/redout!

WALLPAPERS PAGE
Long due, we know! But in case you are interested in having a fancy desktop wallpaper, grab the new Redout ones here: http://34bigthings.com/redoutwallpapers/

NEW FEATURES
Added a new Europa song, Conamara! Legit named after a region of the Europa moon, which is named after a region in Ireland. Look it up.
Soundtrack and Artbook updated to reflect the additions.
Multiplayer: the host can change laps number and game mode without having to quit and re-host a new lobby. (yay!)
Added controller vibration on ship explosion, we thought it would be a nice touch.

TITLE STABILITY
Fixed all residual frame dependencies: life regen and speed bonus still were.
Fixed a memory leak that would potentially slow down your system after a few consecutive races.
Fixed a bug that could be exploited in Speed mode: it was possible to accumulate bonus time before crossing the starting line for the first time, carrying such bonus through to lap 1.

BUGFIXING
Fixed bug for which the accelerator button would become unresponsive if kept pressed during game pause or tutorial message screen.
Fixed a bug for which options would not be persistent in split screen after the first race was over.
Checkpoints value were cut when above 100. We honestly never thought somebody could do that, damn you uberpros.
Lobby chat fixed for AZERTY keyboards: pressing A would quit the chat. Sorry again, dear French friends, we never meant to silence you. Especially after the elections.
Fixed a bug for which the position indicator would go nuts if you died during a jump (long due, we know).
Fixed a bug that would respawn you in the phantom zone if you died very close to a portal gate.
Fixed a problem that would display the wrong upgrades in multiplayer lobby if changing ship multiple times.

TRACKS AND VISUALS
Fixed some lightning issues related to shadow cascade, dynamic shadows and static lightmaps. Yadda yadda technical jargon. English for: you just got better shadows in most places.
Neptune: some moving arms of the space station would compenetrate with the track, potentially causing serious incidents. The SRRL would like to apologize and inform the pilots that a new Neptune operative director has been appointed, as the old one was always drunk.
Neptune: fixed some killing volumes around asteroids, that were actually larger than the asteroid itself. Again, the SRRL would like to apologize. All the over-aggressive asteroids have been replaced with more quiet and less aggressive ones. They got scolded.
Fixed jumps in Europa Shallow Water, Volcano Fingertips and Abruzzo Unmanned where some AI ships would constantly die. Arena Race career events on those tracks have also been changed to other event types, because nobody likes free gold medals, right?
No bunnies added to the game at this time.

Insta-bought the dlc, downloading now. Last pack was great. Will record some clips of the new stuff, after I've practiced a bit this time!

-

kSR6u5m.gif

Here's a longer clip of one of the (5) tracks - It's on Class II (out of IV) and one of the campaign events:

https://a.pomfe.co/khwoqjh.mp4

I really like the SEGA Rock music the have going on too.

-- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=239809477

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I can wait until the DLC is on sale. I'm still struggling through the campaign.

Difficulty feels all over the place. I can beat some of them in one or two tries and others are absolute grinds that take multiple days. And that's not even figuring in platinum, I'm not even going to attempt to reach those times.

GHG

Just got this in the steam sale. It's amazing.

I've had more fun with it than wipeout so far.

ghibli99

So besides prevention of running into walls, is there any reason to not use the turbo/boost button over and over? I haven't noticed any penalty/limitation for it, so I'm guessing this game just wants me to -- paraphrasing the movie Better Off Dead -- "go that way, really fast."

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Not a necro bump but damn am I excited to have this in a few days. Already preordered on XB1.

I had Switch version pre-ordered since day 1 but release date keeps getting pushed back :(

This looks so much better than FAST RMX to me.

Earning money, for fun, and probably achievements/trophies? I'm not sure of anything beyond that.
Thanks

Huh... Hadn't heard much about this...I wonder why no PSVR support
I think devs have said that futuristic racers (in cockpit at least) make people puke.

I have been playing the PS4 version and, so far, it is. Though it's also quite different from other futuristic racers I played so I am still adapting at proper cornering in the game.
Yeah, I've been playing a while and I still can't quite pin down a good technique.

Top Bottom