• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Part 2 of Noclip's FINAL FANTASY XIV Online Documentary

Really enjoyed this part, I've always found it kind of absurd that they juggled patching an existing MMO and basically building a new one in a short period of time so it's nice to get some insight on how it was done.

This part really hammered home how much I wish I'd played 1.0, being a part of that game during it's last few patches leading into it's shut down would have been great to be a part of.

Subtitle whining <_< English is not my first language yet I read them just fine.
Is this really supposed to make a case against the subtitles not being bad? Reading them fine is one thing--recognizing that they cheapen the whole project is another. They're a blight on an otherwise high-quality project, and that's what makes them even worse.

They're pretty bad in general, though. I said this in the last thread, but there's little to no punctuation, and when there is, it's usually wrong (periods instead of commas. This is the most common one, and it's jarring to read). This isn't even mentioning the bad grammar or repeated words. It's a mess. "I read them just fine" doesn't mean they're not mediocre.

This made me chuckle (a story):

He says "1.X" here, not "1.0"

9c0f72698b.jpg

Here's them using "1.X"

Then they use "One point x"

Look at the time stamps.

And just so we're clear, I'm not posting these as evidence that the subtitles are bad (but it doesn't exempt them); I'm posting them because I found it funny. It felt like a one-two punch with a follow-up uppercut. 'Cause, like, continuity, man.

This is the stuff that's pretty bad:

Stuff like this is peppered throughout. It's small at times, but it adds up. And, again, the inconsistencies just cheapen the whole thing a bit.

Regardless, this was another good video. Not as good as the first, content-wise, but still entertaining to sit through and learn from. I had completely forgotten about the tsunami happening around the time 1.0 was trying to build itself back up before ARR.

Falchion

Excellent. It was crazy hearing Square admit in the first episode how they became arrogant as a company after their success on the PS2 and how they didn't even research other MMOs like WoW before making XIV.

R1CHO

I don't care at all about MMOs or FF14 but still watching this.

It's good story.

For the people saying jap development is obsolete and that sort of thing... A fuck up project is fuck up in Jan as everywhere else, and game development is no excepction. I don't think "productivity" in general is higher in the US for example, it's a case by case scenario.

MogCakes

Really enjoyed this part, I've always found it kind of absurd that they juggled patching an existing MMO and basically building a new one in a short period of time so it's nice to get some insight on how it was done.

This part really hammered home how much I wish I'd played 1.0, being a part of that game during it's last few patches leading into it's shut down would have been great to be a part of.
I didn't play 1.0, but I did follow the game watching one of the lets players on Youtube and that was what actually convinced me to get into the ARR beta. Even as a bystander, watching the end of 1.0 was something else.

Foxxsoxx

Bar the subtitles, this is a great documentary.

Really bizarre how they kept updating the game doing all these changes only to kill it off.

Vashetti

Banned
Bar the subtitles, this is a great documentary.

Really bizarre how they kept updating the game doing all these changes only to kill it off.

How so?

Hundreds of thousands of people had bought the game and were paying subs. They couldn't just cut support and shut the servers off until the relaunch.

Foxxsoxx

How so?

Hundreds of thousands of people had bought the game and were paying subs. They couldn't just cut support and shut the servers off until the relaunch.

They went a good while having subs be free just to get people to play.

Not to mention having half the team work on content that was just going to be relevant for a year and not working on 2.0 had to have been a challenging move.

Pretty much meant 2.0 would have been more polished had they had more people working on it. Then again they wouldn't have been making money to sustain development had they not.

Just an interesting way they went about it.

This was really great to watch. XIV is one of my favorite games of all time and while I knew 1.0 was a disaster it's nice to have the full story from an inside perspective even too.

Drey1082

These Docs are great. Danny is killing it.

Watching these documentaries made me wonder about another video game adjacent documentary group born out of video games media, Area 5. The stuff Danny is doing seems to be exactly the type of stuff Area 5 has done in the past, yet the quality and amount of content Danny has been able to produce in such a short amount of time is pretty remarkable.

Mentioned this in the XIV thread but with recently returning to this game for the expansions,
Its absolutely crazy to think the basis for this game dates to 2005(a year after MGS3, year before Twilight Princess) and how it actually is in 2017.

Danny references "Speaker's Network" in his first video, and honestly, their "Fall and Rise of FFXIV" was an awesome series. They just wrapped it up with part 6 recently. It's less of a documentary, and more of a journey through the events of this game as experienced by a player. Link to the playlist here: the guy really deserves more views and subs...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL5QTV3Hk60ag1MsSoox4HT5oBemN23vr

Loved that series.

yaffi

I still think it's kinda sad they couldn't entirely retain the way 1.0 looked graphically. But remembering how bad the game ran, it probably just wasn't possible.

CheckMate

This is excellently edited. I actually watched all of it without pausing, good stuff.

More Documentaries on Japanese Developers please.

mcw

Watching these documentaries made me wonder about another video game adjacent documentary group born out of video games media, Area 5. The stuff Danny is doing seems to be exactly the type of stuff Area 5 has done in the past, yet the quality and amount of content Danny has been able to produce in such a short amount of time is pretty remarkable.

Yeah, well, as someone who backed Area 5's Kickstarter almost four years ago and is still waiting for the first fucking episode, I wish I'd just given that money to Danny instead along with a note that said "See You In 2017".

Really like that this story has been put together in a video series for people who are not players/did not follow it as it unfolded overtime get to see.

Only issue is the weird "yup thats Japan" intro that everyone likes to do when making videos in or about Japan lol. The clips of 1950s~60s black and white Japan seemed odd to me haha.

Great quality other than that personal pet peeve.

One thing I kinda want from 1.0 that seems like it shouldn't have been an issue is legitimate belts

I prefer it as it is now, with belts being rolled into the chest piece. Who has ever gotten a belt in an mmo and not wished it was just a chest piece or shoulder pad or something instead? With transmog too, you almost always just end up trying to find something that matches the chest piece anyway. This gives them more freedom in armor design.

Honestly they should remove belts altogether. Since you don't even see them like rings and stuff, they just feel pointless.

aceface

Too bad SE can't clone YoshiP and put him on every game, at least as producer. Dude knows how to keep a goddamn schedule and make deadlines.

Top Bottom