• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX 970 Class Action Settlement website is live

"This lawsuit claimed that Defendants sold GeForce GTX 970 graphics processing units to consumers based on inaccurate or misleading information regarding the GTX 970's specifications, performance, and capabilities. Defendants deny that they did anything wrong."

KingBroly

Banned
"This lawsuit claimed that Defendants sold GeForce GTX 970 graphics processing units to consumers based on inaccurate or misleading information regarding the GTX 970's specifications, performance, and capabilities. Defendants deny that they did anything wrong."

That's usually how this works. It's Hush Money.

I'll get to it on Monday, cuz I'm busy this weekend.

jediyoshi

"GTX 970 device purchased in the U.S. between September 1, 2014 and August 24, 2016"

"Claim filing deadline: Postmarked by November 30, 2016"

Other important notes

LostDonkey

UK residents can file for a class action under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Someone would just have to start one.

One is being done against Mastercard as we speak. If it's successful then all UK residents over the age of 18 stand to receive a payment of around £300. Whether you have had a Mastercard or not.

Thanks, I thought this was going to be an annoying process of me having to print stuff out and mail it.

Nope! Online claim was fast and easy.

Crunch2600

Neo Member
I bought mine on Newegg.com, they notified me that they'd send instructions. Should I wait until they do? Will they send me a claim number?

dhlt25

I bought mine on Newegg.com, they notified me that they'd send instructions. Should I wait until they do? Will they send me a claim number?

I also bought mine on newegg. Never got anything, i just filled mine out with item number and the receipt

jrcbandit

Thanks, filed for two cards! I want my $60 damnit. Also, will likely be the last time I'll ever SLI. High bandwidth SLI bridges solves some of the issues, but still lack of SLI support when brand new games come out sucks.

Comandr

Thanks, filed for two cards! I want my $60 damnit. Also, will likely be the last time I'll ever SLI. High bandwidth SLI bridges solves some of the issues, but still lack of SLI support when brand new games come out sucks.

Came to say this. This is me exactly.

Orayn

I love my 970 but $30 is $30.

What kind of proof of purchase do you need to provide? I can't find my physical receipt for the card

You can use the Nvidia control panel to pull the Device ID and Part Number, there's a screenshot showing you how to do it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I bet the settlement costs were built into the price of the Pascal series, Settlement Edition.

laugh.gif

Filed, no time to go to court. Hopefully a few people do and get paid

Orayn

What exactly did they do? Site doesn't say anything definite.

They misrepresented the amount of VRAM it had, sorta. It was advertised as a 4GB card, but 0.5GB of that is an order of magnitude slower than the rest, which can cause serious slowdown if you're doing anything that pushes the card's limits.

Arkeband

Banned
I took a screenshot of my shipping email and also gave the device ID out of my NVidia control panel. Just to be sure that they wouldn't find issue with one or the other.

So when should I expect this money, sometime next year? :p

lazygecko

I remember when nVidia fried my GPU via some driver updates in 2013 which tried to force enable some feature my specific card did not support. There ought to have been a lawsuit over that.

gryvan

Newegg sent me a notice like a month ago being aware of the class action lawsuit for nvidia. They told me they will send a follow up email for the claims. So should I wait for newegg to send me a follow up email or should I poke at customer service about it?

SugarDave

When the reports about the VRAM first came out, I jumped on Amazon chat and asked them to give me a few bob back. Ended up getting a £50 partial refund and I was happy with my 970 anyway.

FaintDeftone

Submitted a claim. I usually don't get involved in these things but it is pretty screwed up that they lied about the memory in it. I probably wouldn't have bought it if I knew that prior.

OmegaX06

Looks like you can just input a SKU number as proof of purchase? These numbers are public and posted on most store pages.

Jawmuncher

Everyone should have been ok with what the 970 offered though. I mean it was a working GPU and the difference wasn't that big from what they told you.

That's what GAF has told me anyway.

Alric

Thanks for the update OP. I submitted my claim. Bought mine through newegg so getting documentation was no problem.

Top Bottom