• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Manu

So, what'd ya do with Pascal

Poor Pascal. Does the game even allow you to finish his story without wiping his memory? I didn't check.

The way he sells pieces of robots when you find him again and he doesn't even know what they are or why he has them is heartbreaking.

Hylian7

So, what'd ya do with Pascal

Poor Pascal. Does the game even allow you to finish his story without wiping his memory? I didn't check.

The way he sells pieces of robots when you find him again and he doesn't even know what they are or why he has them is heartbreaking.

It does. You could just walk away.

I didn't realize you could go without wiping his memory. I wiped his memory to answer the initial question. It was really sad seeing him selling machine parts as 9S.

Hylian7

Did the machines intentionally not infect A2 with the virus? Going along with the "leave some androids left" thing? In ending C, we see than 9S was infected.

Also hearing Devola and Poppola, I instantly recognized the voice actor. Sounded just like Diana from Zero Time Dilemma, and sure enough, it was Eden Riegel.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Did the machines intentionally not infect A2 with the virus? Going along with the "leave some androids left" thing? In ending C, we see than 9S was infected.

Also hearing Devola and Poppola, I instantly recognized the voice actor. Sounded just like Diana from Zero Time Dilemma, and sure enough, it was Eden Riegel.

Want she disconnected from the network?

Baalzebup

9S got his infection from the infected hand he grafted on to himself near the end. The virus spread through the YoRHa network, and A2 hadn't been connected to that in a long while.

Antiwhippy

9S got his infection from the infected hand he grafted on to himself near the end. The virus spread through the YoRHa network, and A2 hadn't been connected to that in a long while.

No, it's been confirmed that 9s had the infection for awhile before that because while he delayed 2b and his upload, he didn't stop the upload.

Don't ask me how that fucking works lol. The way infection works is pretty nebulous.

LotusHD

Banned
No, it's been confirmed that 9s had the infection for awhile before that because while he delayed 2b and his upload, he didn't stop the upload.

Don't ask me how that fucking works lol. The way infection works is pretty nebulous.

That's part of why he slowly started to act crazy and more sadistic right? You know, other than his beloved dying lol

Baalzebup

I mean, he clearly did stop the upload, but I can accept that he didn't stop it in time and only a minuscule part of him got infected, which would indeed explain his gradual sanity slippage as the virus slowly gained more ground in his OS.

Jhn

Just finished E, and holy god damn shit. That was perfect.
Weirdly emotional bullet hell credits? Yes please.

Great ending overall.

Just finished ending E. You mean I could've walked away from Pascal instead of wiping his memory? That shit was heartbreaking. I also never ended up using b-mode due to it causing to me to get my ass kicked continously by Hegel in the desert. I'll go back and get the other endings later, but this is definitely my GOTY so far now that I've finished Horizon, RE7, and Persona 5

Baalzebup

Just finished ending E. You mean I could've walked away from Pascal instead of wiping his memory? That shit was heartbreaking. I also never ended up using b-mode due to it causing to me to get my ass kicked continously by Hegel in the desert. I'll go back and get the other endings later, but this is definitely my GOTY so far now that I've finished Horizon, RE7, and Persona 5
Well, it most certainly doesn't get any easier on you if you do walk out on him. The last words he utters to you are pretty damn heavy.

Hylian7

Question: if I go back via chapter select and choose not to wipe Pascal's memory, will it let me do that?

Also can I do the same for the choice to help others in the credits? I legitimately feel bad about preserving my save for that one, but I want to go back and do it once I see the sidequest shit I want to.

On top of just walking away, you can also just kill him.

At that actual moment in the game it's beyond crushing to actually do it, but after a lot of reflection on this after finishing the game I think the right thing to do is actually just walk away.

Question: if I go back via chapter select and choose not to wipe Pascal's memory, will it let me do that?

Also can I do the same for the choice to help others in the credits? I legitimately feel bad about preserving my save for that one, but I want to go back and do it once I see the sidequest shit I want to.

You can change your response to Pascal (in fact doing that is the only way you can get all the weapons if you choose to kill or ignore him the first time) any time you go back to that scene, and you can do ending E again to get the chance to delete your save data the second time through.

Hey guys. Odd question here but I really enjoy the combat of platinum games and really haven't got too far into this one yet but I'm dying to access the DLC killing room thing.

I spent 40+ hhours in the demo just killing robots and generally that's what I enjoy doing the most.

So-- what is the easiest and fastest way for me to unlock the correct endings so I can access the DLC combat room?

Is there a way I could 'mess up' along the way and have to beat it at 3rd time instead of the required 2?

Is it clear when and how to choose route A? etc?

I'm sure someone knows what I'm trying to essentially ask here and I'd appreciate any help.

Hektor

Hey guys. Odd question here but I really enjoy the combat of platinum games and really haven't got too far into this one yet but I'm dying to access the DLC killing room thing.

I spent 40+ hhours in the demo just killing robots and generally that's what I enjoy doing the most.

So-- what is the easiest and fastest way for me to unlock the correct endings so I can access the DLC combat room?

Is there a way I could 'mess up' along the way and have to beat it at 3rd time instead of the required 2?

I'm sure someone knows what I'm trying to essentially ask here and I'd appreciate any help.

You really don't need any help, the way you go about that will be pretty straight forward once you got to it. Just play the game naturally.

40 hours in the demo tho???

abrack08

The structure of the game is actually pretty simple, despite being kind of hard to explain.

When you start the game for the first time, you're in route A. You play from beginning to "end", and get ending A. When you load that save again, you start Route B (Which is essentially route A again from a different perspective and with a totally different last third). When you beat that, you get ending B. There's no choices to be made in A or B, nothing that can be screwed up, you just play the route from start to finish and get the corresponding ending. You don't ever choose A or B, they just happen in that order. When you load that save again, you start the third Route (which is basically a sequel to A/B), which ends in either ending C or D depending on one choice you make at the end. Which choice you pick does not effect access to the DLC in any way. Once you've gotten either C or D, you unlock the chapter select ability. Once you have chapter select you can load up any chapter where you have access to the open world and you should get an email in game about how to start the DLC.

So it takes 3 playthroughs, not 2. But there are no choices that matter for accessing the DLC, nothing to screw up and nothing that can be skipped to make it go faster.

Coreda

There's no choices to be made in A or B, nothing that can be screwed up, you just play the route from start to finish and get the corresponding ending.

I got ending G not 5 minutes into route B and it began at the start of route B again, so you can make choices that result in different endings. Not sure how other endings are handled though, whether you can begin from the last manual save or have to start at the beginning of the route again.

Hylian7

I got ending G not 5 minutes into route B and it began at the start of route B again, so you can make choices that result in different endings. Not sure how other endings are handled though, whether you can begin from the last manual save or have to start at the beginning of the route again.

I think you can just go from the last manual save. I remember on my initial 2B playthrough, I looked at the chips and thought "Hey I should save and try removing this OS chip because it'll be cool to see if it lets me and I really die this way"

I did it and got ending T. Went right back to the save from before.

You really don't need any help, the way you go about that will be pretty straight forward once you got to it. Just play the game naturally.

40 hours in the demo tho???

Yeah I'm a weird-o who just likes to sit there and try out different juggles and the combat system. I think I put in over that on the demo for the first Ninja Gaiden when I still like better than the full game--it let you have all skills on stage 1!

Thewonandonly

Now I just jumped in to say my story. Haven't even started the game yet so I won't be looking at spoilers :)

But I went to gamestop to trade in all my games for the 70% bonus. So first I ask expecting and getting a no if they have farpoint. But instead of saying no this guy says no then goes on a tirade about how he hopes Sony doesn't make anymore so it shows people that they need to pre order for reasons then tells me I'm dumb for expecting them to have some. Well alright haha my bad.

Then I go to plan B and get this game. He looks up and is like are you sure you want to get this game. You have 65 bucks just sitten here and a lot of games are coming out don't you want to devide it and start paying off all the games that are coming out. I say no I need something to play for summer thinking the will be the end. Then his like well are you sure you don't want this game called portal knight it's really good. I say no politely and he ask again saying "your just going to randomly jump into neir but you have someone recommending a great game and your going to say no". Again I politely say no and he says "allrifht man your loss just don't complain to me when you want to return it for like 25% value"

Like damn that is why I hate gamestop. Dude bombarding me with pre order info. Like I love destiny and CoD like most gamers but shit sometimes I want to play a masterpiece and I'm going for the trifecta or quadfecta after beating Zelda, persona 5, then I'm going to finish persona golden and neir :)
Damn this year has been absoulutly bonkers :O

LotusHD

Banned
Now I just jumped in to say my story. Haven't even started the game yet so I won't be looking at spoilers :)

But I went to gamestop to trade in all my games for the 70% bonus. So first I ask expecting and getting a no if they have farpoint. But instead of saying no this guy says no then goes on a tirade about how he hopes Sony doesn't make anymore so it shows people that they need to pre order for reasons then tells me I'm dumb for expecting them to have some. Well alright haha my bad.

Then I go to plan B and get this game. He looks up and is like are you sure you want to get this game. You have 65 bucks just sitten here and a lot of games are coming out don't you want to devide it and start paying off all the games that are coming out. I say no I need something to play for summer thinking the will be the end. Then his like well are you sure you don't want this game called portal knight it's really good. I say no politely and he ask again saying "your just going to randomly jump into neir but you have someone recommending a great game and your going to say no". Again I politely say no and he says "allrifht man your loss just don't complain to me when you want to return it for like 25% value"

Like damn that is why I hate gamestop. Dude bombarding me with pre order info. Like I love destiny and CoD like most gamers but shit sometimes I want to play a masterpiece and I'm going for the trifecta or quadfecta after beating Zelda, persona 5, then I'm going to finish persona golden and neir :)
Damn this year has been absoulutly bonkers :O

Yea, Gamestop employees are pushy af...

Hektor

If i ever see an employee tryin to push away a customer from Nier i'ma gonna make certain that one's out of a job 2 hours later max

LotusHD

Banned
Reminds me of this one time an employee tried to convince me to get their Rewards card, and got increasingly annoyed as I kept saying no, even tried to make me feel like I'm an idiot for refusing. Said one day "I'd see the light" lmfao

Thewonandonly

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Did I fuck up putting this game on hard. Cause I got past the dope ass ships then died to the mobs and got ending W which I'm a little confused on what it meant because I thought it was a game over screen and kept tapping X :(

Should I got on normal or should dieing raise my determination so that I provail ;)

Antiwhippy

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Did I fuck up putting this game on hard. Cause I got past the dope ass ships then died to the mobs and got ending W which I'm a little confused on what it meant because I thought it was a game over screen and kept tapping X :(

Should I got on normal or should dieing raise my determination so that I provail ;)

Hard at the start is hard because you literally can't save until a certain point. Just play it on normal.

Also don't come into the spoiler thread if you're just starting out lol.

Thewonandonly

Hard at the start is hard because you literally can't save until a certain point. Just play it on normal.

Also don't come into the spoiler thread if you're just starting out lol.
Your right this was just the first thread I saw about nier. Imma dip but I got one quick question for you whippy since I'm preety sure I saw you in the persona 5 thread.

What should I play and finish first Persona 4 after loving 5 or should I play nier and get a nice change of pace?

Antiwhippy

Your right this was just the first thread I saw about nier. Imma dip but I got one quick question for you whippy since I'm preety sure I saw you in the persona 5 thread.

What should I play and finish first Persona 4 after loving 5 or should I play nier and get a nice change of pace?

Er depends on what you want lol. Like I love 3 more than 4 but that's a minority opinion. If you're still into that high school sim life 4 is real fun.

Play nier though.

Hastati

Wow @ the interacting with the pods bit. I love the whole theme of our lack of ability to interpret emotions and depth in foreign entities being completely independent of their actual emotions and depth...how easy it is to objectify and "dehumanize" that which you are not capable of understanding because of your own ignorance. The robots in this game are so lovable, and having played it I'm so glad that they went with incredibly simple, easy to destroy designs to make even more striking the dissonance between what they look like in your eyes at a glance and what you later come to know about them.

Pascal deserved better, and I hope he (she?) found peace in the world after ending E, although I doubt it.

I haven't touched Persona 5 in like 2 months because I realized I didn't care about anything that happened in it despite being in October (also I hate the dungeons), despite Persona 3 being a top ten and 4 being a top 3 game for me. I'll beat it eventually but I dunno if the last few months of it will make it a non-disappoint :(

Anyway, to check in, I'm still pretty deep in this fucking NieR-hole still. I just did all the weapon grinding and ending Y -again- on my second playthrough, and I almost daily still watch people stream the game.

Jhn

Ugh, the english lyrics to weight of the world / end of yorha are just terrible.
I'm happy I was too preoccupied during the credits to notice it, I think it would have taken away from an otherwise perfect moment.

"This is my redemption song" *cringe*

Golnei

They're horribly cheesy, but as much as I wanted them to go with something else pre-release, I can't deny that they're perfect for the tone and context of Ending E; even if Weight of the World suffers as a standalone song for it. Something more in keeping with Ashes of Dreams wouldn't have worked here.

Coreda

Ugh, the english lyrics to weight of the world / end of yorha are just terrible.
I'm happy I was too preoccupied during the credits to notice it, I think it would have taken away from an otherwise perfect moment.

I don't understand why it plays when the Japanese audio has been selected during route A.

Coreda

Because every ending uses a different language, you also get to hear the Japanese version if you play in English in one of them

Yeah but the initial version in route A is English. Would have expected it to switch to Japanese and reserve the English for the next ending. They all come together in E of course.

Unless you're saying the Japanese always gets the English, while the English always get the Jap version in ending A.

The sheer emotion of the Japanese version loses some impact if you haven't heard the straightforward English version first.

As for the cheese... this was written to be an endless refrain song, as with Hey Jude. You can't have too much gravitas when you can sing nonsense while repeating the chorus endlessly until fade-out.

I was just listening to weight of the world in the car this morning...and singing along...I quite enjoy the lyrics, and especially what they mean to the story

True Fire

Patty Jenkins on the word "cheesy." I think this also applies to the video games industry:

Did you say cheesy? Cheesy is one of the words banned in my world. I’m tired of sincerity being something we have to be afraid of doing. It’s been like that for 20 years, that the entertainment and art world has shied away from sincerity, real sincerity, because they feel they have to wink at the audience because that’s what the kids like.

/

It’s terrible when it makes so many artists afraid to be sincere and truthful and emotional, and relegates them to the too-cool-for-school department. Art is supposed to bring beauty to the world.

Top Bottom