• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Cult |OT| Sarah Paulson Suffers In This One, It Must Be Good

zeemumu

Yes lol, that's what I said. A mother torturing her own child is an incredible dark and disturbing concept. I mean I could be wrong, but I think that would be a new and darker place the show (and most shows ever really) hasn't previously gone.

Wouldn't be any darker than some of the other shit they've done, like inhaling those other kids on stakes and burning them alive.

JonnyKong

This season is embarrassingly bad so far.

"you need to calm up"

I love Billy on the Street, but Billy Eichner cannot act.

At least Emma Roberts is in next week's.

zeemumu

This season is embarrassingly bad so far.

"you need to calm up"

I love Billy on the Street, but Billy Eichner cannot act.

At least Emma Roberts is in next week's.

Even with a lot of the silly shit in older seasons the show could still be pretty haunting at times. Even the haunting stuff in this one just seems silly. The only source of fear are the clowns and the writers don't seem to understand what made the clown scare that this is referencing (or just clowns in general) scary.

JonnyKong

Even with a lot of the silly shit in older seasons the show could still be pretty haunting at times. Even the haunting stuff in this one just seems silly. The only source of fear are the clowns and the writers don't seem to understand what made the clown scare that this is referencing (or just clowns in general) scary.

Yeah exactly, at the moment the clowns feel like a diet, un-scary version of The Purge.

zeemumu

Yeah exactly, at the moment the clowns feel like a diet, un-scary version of The Purge.

Pretty much. The clowns don't seem to be supernatural in nature or committing various horrible crimes without motive. From the characters' points of view there's no motive to the clowns' actions but from our point of view we know they're setting shit up for Kai and that doctor. So you lose the senseless and unpredictable nature of a crazed slasher as well as the almost supernatural feeling of seeing a clown somewhere you shouldn't. It's not like they're acting like clowns, either. They're just wearing the masks.

Korigama

This doesn't seem like a good starter season so far.

Start with season 1 or 2. Maybe 5 if the setting seems appealing to you. Those are the best seasons.

I started with 3 and loved it, FYI. It has a disjointed plot but the characters are hilariously over the top. Super entertaining season.
I'm really late in responding to these, but I figured it may not have been the best choice to start with, the most recent episode only further convincing me of that. Thanks for recommendations, I'll keep those in mind.

Seriously, this season is pants-on-head stupid. The dialogue is at its worst when it injects pop culture references and heavy-handed attempts at social commentary, which is often, it's still not particularly clear where things are leading or what the show is trying to be, and definitely not scary.

Majmun

Started watching the first season for the first time. Reaching the end.

Is this supposed to be a comedy? I mean, it's gory, but totally not scary. I find most stuff very funny. Especially the cheesy acting

The last episode was interesting although I might come back later to elaborate on it
I'm 100% positive Ivy is gaslighting her wife ( the therapist as well, he's super shady)

+ For the millionth time, how is Winter still hired? I cannot understand it and it's beyond me. She's not only shady but a very distant person who doesn't have the personality for a babysitter

Just finished Roanoke and was going to catch up on this season quickly but it doesn't sound like its that good?

Roanoke was the best season yet I thought, I loved how it changed half way through and was what I expect from a TV show called "American Horror Story".

Hotel I couldn't finish, it was awful.

But Asylum, Coven, Freakshow and Roanoke were amazing. Murderhouse just crapped our halfway through.

bitbydeath

+ For the millionth time, how is Winter still hired? I cannot understand it and it's beyond me. She's not only shady but a very distant person who doesn't have the personality for a babysitter

She has to be fired after being caught at the bathtub scene.

JonnyKong

I was so excited when I read Billie Lourde was going to be in this season because she's fantastic in Scream Queens, but Winter has been such a dull, quite annoying character so far :(

Man oh man, this season super went off the rails with the latest episode.

I feel like American Horror Story always does this. Creates an interesting premise, gets a few neat episodes out of it, then the whole thing goes to shit.

Monocle

I'm really late in responding to these, but I figured it may not have been the best choice to start with, the most recent episode only further convincing me of that. Thanks for recommendations, I'll keep those in mind.
Yeah you should probably drop this season before it puts you off the series. It's fun to see the recurring actors in such different roles this time around. You won't have the benefit of that perspective if you haven't seen other seasons.

Man oh man, this season super went off the rails with the latest episode.

I feel like American Horror Story always does this. Creates an interesting premise, gets a few neat episodes out of it, then the whole thing goes to shit.
This isn't such a problem with Seasons 1, 2, and 5. 1 is pretty OK the whole way through (though I don't remember it very well tbh), 2 makes superb use of its setting but abandons plotlines and shortchanges some major characters on the way to its strong and memorable ending, and 5 stays consistently good and does just about all of its subplots and characters justice.

3 was whack to begin with (in the best way IMO). 4 is the runt of the litter--just an odd and kind of unfocused season in general. 6 keeps things fairly interesting with the midseason format change but didn't do as much as it could have with its setting and villains. And the explicit violence and torture didn't improve anything. It was just there.

zeemumu

That's quite possibly the most hilarious twist I've ever seen. Jill Stein

Emma Roberts is never gonna get out of that typecasting is she

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought that was easily the best episode so far. It did a good job of fleshing out Kai and most of the side characters and it was actually sort of creepy. (I still think the therapist is involved btw!)

Also, looks like everyone was right and Ivy is working with Winter, to some extent, after all! I somewhat doubt she's involved in the gaslighting of Ally, but her kinship with Winter is obviously why the latter hasn't been fired yet (and why she got hired in the first place).

Get WOKE! Ratsky.

On it!

Did you forget about the scene with Chaz Bono?

Apparently...?

Monocle

Best episode of the season so far. Nothing super unexpected aside from the Winter/Ivy connection, but it was fun to watch it all go down.

Ep. 1 was pretty good and showed a lot of promise. I was ready to bail after Ep. 3. Ally has to be the worst character in the show's history. I love Sarah Paulson, but she might have to leave the show at this point. It's not her fault, either. Like with Jessica Lange, I get the feeling the writers don't know what to do with her anymore.

Thankfully, Ep. 4 moved away from Ally and it was so much better for it. My worry right now is there isn't, and won't be, any good explanation for why she's the character the show seems to center around. She's not a good protagonist and the show is weakest when the conflicts between the characters are weak.

Kai is a much better focus, but he kind of comes across as too much of a light-weight, half-wit to be be a real cult leader. His dialogue about political things is so corny and ham-fisted, which is also a problem with the politics dialogue in general, that I don't buy the clown crew falling for him.

I have some other problems with this season, but I think I'll stick with it for now.

Top Bottom