• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park Season 21 |OT| 'member Self-Contained Episodes?

UberTag

Just had the same thought. I think i've been deluding myself the past 3-4 seasons thinking they were just taking a slight dip and would return, but the show is in a steady decline.
I'm not at all optimistic about this season... but I DO think the game will deliver.

Hilarious episode.

Were all of you really expecting Matt and Trey to cater to every of your singular needs? Jesus fucking Christ it's a TV show.

The episodes with the most complaints are usually the best ones. I thought it was a fantastic episode and I'm excited to see what other crazy shit they come up with for the rest of the season.

I laughed at the Humble acoustic but thats about it. I feel like part of this episodes purpose was to end any "subplots" leftover from last season so hopefully S21 E2 feels fresh.

Brinbe

The Cartman/Heidi stuff was pretty dumb and it was just a drawn-out way to get him back to square one as a character.

But having watched some of those reno shows on HGTV a cpl weeks ago, they fucking nailed that. Especially the open kitchen/island thing.

Didn't think it was a good episode though and there were some abrupt and weird transitions between scenes. And worst of all, I barely laughed, if at all. Dude playing Kendrick was probably the highlight?

Hoping episode 2 is better because this one was weak.

I honestly thought Randy was gonna screw up with this whole Flipping Homes parody, so color me impressed that he actually pulled it off in the end.

Ri'Orius

I honestly thought Randy was gonna screw up with this whole Flipping Homes parody, so color me impressed that he actually pulled it off in the end.

Yeah, when they were holding on him in front of the house with all the rednecks inside, I kept waiting for the house to just collapse on them.

Dynasty

Episode was medicore tbh, was waiting for that one killer blow but it never came.
Randy messing up the house or something.

kyoya

I was surprised to see that Josh Gad was credited as "consultant" on this episode along with Bill Hader. I don't know if he's a new addition to the team or was there last season.

They really need to work on writing. I don't know if they had their annual "retreat" in Hawaii where they worked on concepts, but cranking out a script in two or three days around a conference table is just not working. It just seems like Trey Parker comes into the meeting room and takes what has been bothering him on cable TV and puts it right on the table. The show has become disjointed, repetitive and predictable:

Wash, rinse and repeat:

Randy is the lovable goof.

Cartman is the self-absorbed troll where reality doesn't apply to him.

Stan and Kyle are the good boys, where Kyle gets involved in a resolution.

Kenny is a super-hero when he needs to be in a low-income economic storyline.

Wash, rinse and repeat.

And could they work on creating new music during the episodes? The music cues have just been predictable. Hire somebody else to do it. Buy a new synthesizer. Just change it up.

They completely missed the boat on this season-opener.

Why can't they just make episodes where it's about the kids doing dumb shit and having fun and getting in trouble? I want more Korn Scooby Doo and dodgeball and jakovasaurs and Timmy joining the crips and cult leader David Blaine.

I'm counting on the game. Stick of Truth still had it. But then again, they couldn't just phone that one in in less than a week.

Real Hero

I was surprised to see that Josh Gad was credited as "consultant" on this episode along with Bill Hader. I don't know if he's a new addition to the team or was there last season.

They really need to work on writing. I don't know if they had their annual "retreat" in Hawaii where they worked on concepts, but cranking out a script in two or three days around a conference table is just not working. It just seems like Trey Parker comes into the meeting room and takes what has been bothering him on cable TV and puts it right on the table. The show has become disjointed, repetitive and predictable:

Wash, rinse and repeat:

Randy is the lovable goof.

Cartman is the self-absorbed troll where reality doesn't apply to him.

Stan and Kyle are the good boys, where Kyle gets involved in a resolution.

Kenny is a super-hero when he needs to be in a low-income economic storyline.

Wash, rinse and repeat.

And could they work on creating new music during the episodes? The music cues have just been predictable. Hire somebody else to do it. Buy a new synthesizer. Just change it up.

They completely missed the boat on this season-opener.
This why the long form seasons were breath of fresh air but unfortunately they fumbled it last season and have now reverted to a comfortable zone.

MarveI

Maybe it's because I couldn't relate to it but not a single laugh :(. And I love South Park.

Like mentioned before, really hope they cut the political stuff just want things to revovle around the kids. And Randy. But not like this. How about an episode where Randy takes the kids out for the weekend ? 2 part episode. Maybe camping. The hijinks that would cause, just imagining it gives me the laughs.

Sir Doom

There's a bug. Waves flag.
My soup is hot. Waves flag

🤣

Randy Hey Darrel to-do-list Scene

OMG I'm dying

There's a lot double meaning in this episode.

Good premiere

Kaizer

Banned
Man this episode sucked, only thing that made me laugh was the acoustic "Humble" bit, everything else was trash. It's like they couldn't tell what they actually wanted to do with the episode & just picked two random cultural references out of a hat and said go.

Kyzer

Banned
Maybe it's because I couldn't relate to it but not a single laugh :(. And I love South Park.

Like mentioned before, really hope they cut the political stuff just want things to revovle around the kids. And Randy. But not like this. How about an episode where Randy takes the kids out for the weekend ? 2 part episode. Maybe camping. The hijinks that would cause, just imagining it gives me the laughs.

So youre new to south park

This episode was aight i dont think the series is as consistent and great as some of you remember, this was pretty par for the course. What you guys really want is for it to be of the quality of some of the best episodes, which frankly doesnt happen often

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Reading these impressions has me worried.

I'm on Season 19 right now, and I'm finding the episodes less and less funny as I go on. Is 20 any good?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Just finished watching the episode. It just wasn't that good. Everything seem disjointed and the writing was off.

Thought something was wrong with my audio setup but it seems everyone else had that sound mixing problem on Hulu. The background music was much louder than they should be.

RocknRola

Okay-ish episode. I think I might have missed quite a good chunk of context myself, but still got some laughs in with the "rednecks" and their new jobs!

gun_haver

Was going to watch later but looks like opinions are leaning toward not that good?

yeah wasn't that good. I'm not the biggest south park fan but I like it when it's funny. this wasn't really funny but also was kind of...aimless. I do not get what they were going for with Cartman's Heidi is mentally abusive/I love Alexa storyline. The Heidi scenes were just a bummer, she's just a sad but normal little girl, and Cartman doesn't make any sense. He likes Alexa because it does what he says, I guess? It was too blurry, could've been done way better. We don't need to be analysing the subconscious of Cartman.

And the white people renovating houses thing has a lot of potential as a subject to lampoon but they didn't really hit on anything insightful about it. 'open concept' was a funny phrase, that's about it.

bad start.

Trojita

The episode was setting off my Amazon Echo like crazy. One of the things they said at the beginning made Alexa add peaches to my shopping list. The show also set my alarm for 7 AM.

Ahasverus

Maybe it picks up. PC Principal is sort of a dumb character. I hope it does, but saying 20 is trash is even more disheartening.
You already watched the Yaoi episode? That's like their best episode ever.
The episode was setting off my Amazon Echo like crazy. One of the things they said at the beginning made Alexa add peaches to my shopping list. The show also set my alarm for 7 AM.
LMAO

Trojita

Possibly the only thing preventing Alexa from reacting more was the loud background noise. It responded to "tell me a joke", "what is love" and the question Cartman asked in his bed. I forget what exactly the last question was but the response was "I'm happy to be of assistance" or something like that which is what my Alexa said too when Cartman set it off.

Top Bottom