• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 10/10 completed anime out there?

ShadowOwl

Code Geass
Death Note (until you know what)
Gurren Lagann
Samurrai Champloo

Not enough JoJo love in this thread, so:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Battle Tendency

Just finished those and I was one of the most fun rides I ever had. Currently watching Stardust Crusaders.

Numb

tenor.gif

Soar

I forgot one that's pretty decent - Planetes. If you like hard sci-fi and a more realistic setting this one's up your alley. It's about a crew responsible for cleaning debris in space, and the challenges they face are quite down to earth. Themes are philosophical, political and the utilization of space.

Fisico

Any anime with female characters specifically designed to whack off to are (mostly) invalid.

Even more so if the creators try to make them into "strong women" and have their cake and eat it too, or try to say they're making some "statement" about celebrating female sexuality and sex positivity when really all they wanna do is whack off.

I'll never, ever finish Gurren Lagann or Kill la Kill.

You really can't put the two anime on the same level, both from a "sexual exhibition" and quality point of view.
I do get your reasoning and indeed encourage you to not bother with Kill la Kill but for Gurren Lagann this is really a detail in the grand scheme of things and isn't proeminent nor does it happen frequently at all in the last two thirds of the plot.

LotusHD

Banned
You really can't put the two anime on the same level, both from a "sexual exhibition" and quality point of view.
I do get your reasoning and indeed encourage you to not bother with Kill la Kill but for Gurren Lagann this is really a detail in the grand scheme of things and isn't proeminent nor does it happen frequently at all in the last two thirds of the plot.

Definitely right on the first, but like, can't really blame anyone for not caring if they have a hard rule against blatant fanservice, saying one's a bit better understandably doesn't fly with everyone. Not to mention the nasty gay stereotype in TTGL

As for the 2nd point, eh, debatable.

ShadowOwl

Oh, how could I forget about One Punch Man?

It's obviously not finished though even though Season 1 stands on its own.

Rose of Versailles

This is my only 10/10. Other shows that come close are:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Monster
Maison Ikkoku
His and Her Circumstances (not completed though)
Revolutionary Girl Utena

and many others that I routinely forget to mention. But please, for the love of God, give a chance to Rose of Versailles. Though admittedly I'm biased and objectively it's hard to recommend without knowing your tastes and degree of tolerance for older shoujo anime.

I've been meaning to write a thread about it, but I know, as invested into it as I am, that it will take me an eternity, so I keep postponing it. If I have to be honest, it would crush me to put my heart into writing it just for a few people to read it. I really wished this series was more popular (at least among english speakers; for instance in Italy, which is my native country, it has always been extremely popular since the first time it was aired here).

EDIT: Oh yes, if we are counting movie too, then Millennium Actress is the other 10/10 I'm confident about giving.

In this department, both Jin-Roh and the original Ghost in the Shell come close (especially the former).

Mushishi
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Cowboy Bebop

Probably this 3. Bebop's incredible presentation probably allows it to be within the vicinity of a perfect score (more so than any other), but the first two are thematically even more interesting, while structurally being completely opposite in how both tell their stories.

Szadek

Obviously Garzey's Wing, but also
Madoka★Magica
Revolutionary Girl Utena

Any anime with female characters specifically designed to whack off to are (mostly) invalid.

Even more so if the creators try to make them into "strong women" and have their cake and eat it too, or try to say they're making some "statement" about celebrating female sexuality and sex positivity when really all they wanna do is whack off.

I'll never, ever finish Gurren Lagann or Kill la Kill.
I can't agree with this at all.
Just because it's very often not donw right, it doesn't mean that strong and sexualized can't work together.

Fbh

Agree with all of your list OP.
Except Dragonball. Thats like a 6/10 at best. The pacing is beyond horrible. Anyone looking for the 10/10 Dragonball experience should read the manga.
And I never cared too much about card captor sakura

I'd add Fate Zero. Good story, great characters and amazing animation. It's an action anime that manages to stay away from most cliches of the genre. The only weak part is the ending since sadly it had to tie in with Fate Stay Night (which ironically is terrible and features literally every shonen cliche I can think of)

Mushishi . Love the themes and stories in this. It also looks amazing

Jojo..all of it. It's like an anime parody that's also great on its oen and was actually made before all the shows it's parodying.

Fuck what some people may think (since it's based on a visual novel etc.), but Clannad/After Story is my favourite and easily a 10/10 for me. After Story made me bawl my eyes out in a way that no other fictional media had done before and has done since.

All others(Bebop, GITS:SAC etc.) have already been mentioned

From what I remember (it has been quite some years since I've watched any anime)

Ergo Proxy
Gungrave
Witch Hunter Robin
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Paranoia Agent
Texhnolyze

Those were my favourites. I always liked my anime dark, twisted and weird.

Cowboy Bebop and Gurren Lagann are the only ones for me.

Great Teacher Onizuka is great, but sadly not really "finished" as the manga has a much better ending and continues for quite a bit more.

VAD

Gankutsuou. The Count of Montecristo in space.
Ergo Proxy. Sort of Blade Runner.
Space Dandy. Titties and multiverse.
Eureka 7. Gundamon surfboards.
Bokurano. Kids saving the earth with a giant robot.

PsionBolt

There are a lot of correct answers in this thread. A lot of outlandish answers, too, but still, it's a much better showing than I expected when I clicked!

I'll echo the praise for Revolutionary Girl Utena, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Princess Tutu.
And I'll add one I don't think I've seen mentioned: Koi Kaze.

Koi_Kaze%2C_Volume_1.jpg

Seriously, if you have any interest at all in romance or drama, watch Koi Kaze.

Uzzy

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Serial Experiments Lain
Cowboy Bebop

Madoka Magica would be on the list, until the movie came along and made it 'not complete'. The series on it's own is a fantastic 10/10 complete story.

Ushay

Completed

Samurai Champloo
FMA - Brotherhood
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell SAC

Ongoing

One Piece
Mob Psycho
One Punch Man

kurahador

Yamato 2199 (2012 remake) -- I'd put this as one of the greatest action adventure anime ever.
Your Name -- It's a movie, but oh man it's so damn good. Watch it blind.
Erased -- It's a murder mystery, that's all you need to know.

FMA: Brotherhood was such a great anime it literally ruined the rest of the genre for me. Nothing that came after holds a candle to it. Best example of a story. Great characters, a thought out and fleshed out world that doesn't break its own rules until the very end and even then most of the series is about the villain's journey to breaking said rule. And a clear arc from beginning to end.

Watching Code Geass and Death Note shortly before didn't help with my search for adequate replacements either.

Then you have the classics.

Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Yu Yu Hakusho
Kenshin (First two seasons + OVAs)

Sakura

Well I don't know much about Kiss x Sis other than it being a harem/ecchi anime with step-sisters... But in Koi Kaze they are biological brother and sister, with a 12 year age gap and by then end of the series
they end up fucking.

It doesn't pretend like it's normal or anything though, like many other anime with sister heroines. The protagonists friends too are like, yo what the fuck are you doing. If I remember correctly, it's been a while since I watched.

Anyway my 10/10 anime would be Milky Holmes (seasons 1 and 2 only) and Index. Rewatched them so many times. Just such good series.

Well I don't know much about Kiss x Sis other than it being a harem/ecchi anime with step-sisters... But in Koi Kaze they are biological brother and sister, with a 12 year age gap and by then end of the series
they end up fucking.
Holy fuck, they actually went there... Much worse then.

Top Bottom