• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

gcubed

Lol James Neal with 2 hearings tomorrow

If I was Neal my excuse would be "well, you really shouldn't make me go through the second hearing because I shouldn't even have been on the ice! Its your ref's fault!"

edit.. Shane, did miss your edit, thanks for the link. I have no idea how to change it, or if you can. I guess it all starts with the league policing the hits better

ShaneB

If I was Neal my excuse would be "well, you really shouldn't make me go through the second hearing because I shouldn't even have been on the ice! Its your ref's fault!"

edit.. Shane, did miss your edit, thanks for the link. I have no idea how to change it, or if you can. I guess it all starts with the league policing the hits better

It's the players that need to make better judgements on the ice, it's leagues job to dish out the punishment when it goes too far. You know how when kids fight, a common argument is "Aww, they started it!!!" and it goes back and forth. Well that's what it feels like in the NHL most times when players feel the need to punish the other team. "Well they did something to us, it's my job to get them back". Well no, it should the players to make the smart choice and not do something stupid, and it should be the league/officiating that steps in and punish the players before things get out of hand.

Been listening to a bunch of talk radio this morning, and the majority has been about the chaos that occured, and the actual hockey has taken a backseat. Sigh.

Anyways, I hope for some good hockey tonight. Praying the Sens/Ranger game is played cleanly and some solid physical playoff hockey, and not a goonfest again.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'd love to see that referee get suspended.

Not kicking Neal off right away was ludicrous.

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm a casual hockey fan, just wanted to say LOL Vancouver. Jim Rome is on talking about hockey having the hockey horn going off right now. Los Angeles residents are emailing in with, "I didn't know we still had a hockey team!"

Gotta be a kick in the nads for a big time hockey city to be close to being swept by an 8 seed in a city where hockey is maybe 5th or 6th on the totem pole.

Just to put some perspective on things:

Things will calm down after this Philly/Pitt series. There aren't very many teams that hate eachother that much. Rangers/Devils could probably pull it off. Maybe Detroit/Chicago and Montreal/Toronto or Boston.

Pretty sure we don't really have to worry about those matchups this year though....

Cake Boss

Banned
GPMCf.jpg

I keep humming the Visa commercial. LOVE HURTS.

If last year was karma, what's this year? A curse?

Call me morbid, but I am interested to see what happens in the offseason. What will Schneider net in a trade, or will MG do something mind-blowing and trade Luongo instead? Will Ballard still be here? Can we get a mulligan on the Hodgson trade? Does anyone want Raymond?

As for my "character guys" statement, management has wanted guys that are blue-collar workers that are good in the locker room. Hodgson's "trade me" mentality didn't fit, and neither did his defensive game. The catch is that the team definitely has grit, but not the goal-scoring capability. It's almost like 2007 all over again.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I was actually thinking about that on my drive in to work today.

If the Canucks do get swept what will happen with the team. You'd think nothing drastic would happen but I'm sure a great amount of pressure will be put on Gillis and co. to right this ship.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Things will calm down after this Philly/Pitt series. There aren't very many teams that hate eachother that much. Rangers/Devils could probably pull it off. Maybe Detroit/Chicago and Montreal/Toronto or Boston.

Pretty sure we don't really have to worry about those matchups this year though....

LOL at Detroit getting out of the first round.

I'm a casual hockey fan, just wanted to say LOL Vancouver. Jim Rome is on talking about hockey having the hockey horn going off right now. Los Angeles residents are emailing in with, "I didn't know we still had a hockey team!"

Gotta be a kick in the nads for a big time hockey city to be close to being swept by an 8 seed in a city where hockey is maybe 5th or 6th on the totem pole.

Im not a vancouver fan, but I doubt thats the reason they would be pissed. LA has a great team, much better than their position suggests. If people in LA are missing out on a pretty good team then it's their loss.

q_q

Really? He seems like the type of person that wouldnt give a fuck what other people thought and would suspend stars without blinking an eye. They need to get someone in there that wasnt a top player and wont be so star struck.

Nothing will change. The league isn't going to set a precedent of suspending its best players. It's bad for business. You're fooling yourself if you think any of this is wholly Shanahan's decision and that someone else in his place would bring change.

LOL at Detroit getting out of the first round.

LOL indeed, unless they play the rest of the series like the played in the 3rd period of last game. Of course that would only mean that they dominate the play to have the Preds take one shot and go in to win the game, so yeah not likely we get out of this round.

Vigneault will get fired and one of the goalies will be shipped out, guaranteed.

I heard an ex-Toronto coach is available ;)

Ra\/en

Nothing will change. The league isn't going to set a precedent of suspending its best players. It's bad for business. You're fooling yourself if you think any of this is wholly Shanahan's decision and that someone else in his place would bring change.

FIRE GARY!

If they hire Fire V and hire Ron, Canucks hockey is over.

Bill Meltzer is typically a pretty reserved guy. He's a Philly writer, but I've never once seen him badmouth another team. Yesterday's game apparently got him pretty fired up.

Teams take a lead from their captains. Crosby's behavior in this series has not been that of a "fierce competitor" looking to gain any possible edge for his team. Rather, he's conducted himself like an entitled, spoiled brat who picks fights and then hides. Yes, he fought Giroux yesterday because he had the presence of mind to know that would be a worthwhile tradeoff rather than going with a less-vital Flyer.

Other than that, Crosby has regressed in this series to his rookie season behavior of starting things that others have to finish, diving, taking cheapshots, and complaining to the referees about every single call that doesn't go his way.

Rest of the article here. Again, I admit that he is a "Philly guy" but he's pretty damn far from a homer. Really surprised to see him get that angry.

q_q

Bill Meltzer is typically a pretty reserved guy. He's a Philly writer, but I've never once seen him badmouth another team. Yesterday's game apparently got him pretty fired up.

Rest of the article here. Again, I admit that he is a "Philly guy" but he's pretty damn far from a homer. Really surprised to see him get that angry.

Is it anger, or just truth? In this situation I think it's a fine line.

Fixed1979

First Jim Rome is a piece of shit. I don't know why anyone from Vancouver should care what Rome or his listeners say. LA have a good hockey team and are clearly one of the most dangerous 8th seeded teams in recent memory. It sucks and is a little embarrassing that we may get swept by an 8th seed after finishing first in the league but Rome's opinion and residents of LA who know nothing of hockey are the least of our concerns. I think that e-mail speaks more about "sports fans" in LA than the Canucks. Stay casual.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm really glad that LA is doing as well as they are. They have a great squad. I absolutely love Kopitar and Quick. The fact that they're plowing through the Canucks right now is icing on the cake.

It does suck that considering the city that they live in, Hockey is way down on the list of importance for professional teams in the city.

Ra\/en

First Jim Rome is a piece of shit. I don't know why anyone from Vancouver should care what Rome or his listeners say. LA have a good hockey team and are clearly one of the most dangerous 8th seeded teams in recent memory. It sucks and is a little embarrassing but Rome's opinion and residents of LA who know nothing of hockey are the least of our concerns. I think that e-mail speaks more about "sports fans" in LA than the Canucks. Stay casual.

chicago was 8 last year....

t0mp

so with all those pens out, who are they calling up? more goons we have to deal with?

lose-lose. I'd rather the flyers deal with neal than macintyre or whatever that big fucking goons name is

q_q

The series will be decided tomorrow. If the Wings win, they take it in 6, if the Preds win they take it in 5. Calling it now.

bardia

Any other Canucks fans sick of Keslers antics? Rewatching his dives from this series makes me sick to my stomach. Kesler made good strides last year and got away from his whiny, embellishing ways, but it seems like he's back to it again this year. If he keeps this up next year I wouldnt be sad to see him gone.

Any other Canucks fans sick of Keslers antics? Rewatching his dives from this series makes me sick to my stomach. Kesler made good strides last year and got away from his whiny, embellishing ways, but it seems like he's back to it again this year. If he keeps this up next year I wouldnt be sad to see him gone.

Seems like a bit of an overreaction, but I agree that his play has been pretty embarrassing of late. He hasn't been the same since his hip surgery.

Not sure why AV insists on keeping him with Booth either.

Crosby on the glove incident:
"I don't have to sit here and explain why I pushed a glove away," he added. "They are doing a lot of things out there, too. You know what, we don't like each other. Was I going to sit there and pick up his glove? What was I supposed to do?"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Article here. "Crosby Defiant" my ass. Gotta love that the coverage is STILL so pro-Pens. "O my god how could they POSSIBLY lose this series?!?!?!" This isn't THAT big a shock. I'll agree the Pens were favorites, but this reaction just isn't warranted.

Top Bottom