• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever Oasis |OT| Secret of ActRaiser in the Desert aka This Year's Other Egyptian ARPG

TheMoon

eootruubw.jpg

Developed by: GREZZO Co. Ltd.
Published by: Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Release Dates: June 23, 2017 (NA/PAL) | July 13, 2017 (JP)
Genre: Town-Building/Action RPG
amiibo: No
New Nintendo 3DS enhanced: Yes (C-Stick camera)
Multiplayer: No
Demo: Yes
eShop download file size in blocks: 6853 blocks
Game Download/Official Site: Europe | North America | Japan

3dsjduyk.png

eostorywmuan.jpg

eostory_n39u6t.jpg

eogameplayb0u98.jpg

This is really all about your oasis. The focus is on developing, expanding, upgrading, managing your oasis. Plant crops, clean up dirt, tend to your citizen's needs by doing quests, send them out to gather materials, go dungeon crawl to farm for resources, etc.

The dungeons you can enter in the world contain puzzles and bosses but don't mistake this for a straight up RPG where that is your meat and potatoes.

This gameplay trailer explains the oasis-part of the game very well.

eoqajhu7n.jpg

Q: What's a GREZZO?
A: GREZZO is an independent Japanese development studio. Koichi Ishii, creator of the Mana-series and game designer on the early Final Fantasy titles up to FFVI, is the director of this game. It's his first directorial stint since Dawn of Mana in 2006! GREZZO developed several The Legend of Zelda games for Nintendo 3DS, such as Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask 3D and Tri Force Heroes. They also worked on some of the 3DS StreetPass games.​

Q: New ARPG from the Secret of Mana creator? Party of three? So it has multiplayer, right?
A: Sadly it does not. This is purely singleplayer.​

Q: So is this a sweeping adventure?
A: This is primarily about building up your oasis, you do that by inviting new people to set up shop in your oasis. You go do quests for them out in the world and by going into dungeons.​

Q: This is from the guys who made the 3DS Zelda games, what?!
A: Yes, GREZZO made some awesome N64 Zelda remasters and a great multiplayer Zelda. The dungeons are clearly Zelda-inspired with puzzles of that nature.​

Q: I'm sleeping on this because I hate my 3DS now since Switch exists!
A: You fool, go and play this! Remember, there's a demo on the eShop.​

eomediaguukb.jpg

~ Gameplay Overview Trailer ("Chief Trailer") ~
~ Launch Trailer ~
~ General Overview Trailer ~
Nintendo Treehouse Live E3 2017: Demonstration
Nintendo Treehouse Live E3 2016: Debut Demonstration with Koichi Ishii

Koichi Ishii Blog Posts (Summaries from Nintendo Japan's official site):
http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/e...m-koichi-ishii-oasis-part-2-overview-trailer/

The World of Ever Oasis (Nintendo of Europe translation of Ishii's blog):
Part 1: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2017/June/The-world-of-Ever-Oasis-part-1-1231139.html
Part 2: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2017/June/The-world-of-Ever-Oasis-part-2-1239201.html
Part 3: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2017/July/The-world-of-Ever-Oasis-part-3-1241947.html

CI_3DS_EverOasis_GIF_NOA_Trailer.gif

CI_3DS_EverOasis_GIF_Combat.gif

CI_3DS_EverOasis_GIF_Defeat_Snake.gif

CI_3DS_EverOasis_GIF_Esna_Tethu_Meet_2.gif

CI_3DS_EverOasis_GIF_Level_Up_2.gif

iWCQ06A.png
FIqQZGR.png

CRxMRNW.jpg
jGB1iD2.png

XJVRahR.png
I9IdeeE.png

Opinions:
Review Thread

Dystify

Good thread. The audience for this game doesn't seem to be very big on GAF (and most other places) but it's a great little game. I hope it will do well.

chrono01

This has "cult hit" written all over it, I'm really excited. My copy should (hopefully) ship soon.

Thanks for the OT!

TheMoon

I totally thought it was multiplayer for some reason. I don't know where I got that in my head.

Because it would have been cool. And the Secret of Mana-connection (same creator and 3 person parties) would make one hope it would be. And their last game was a 3-player online/local co-op game. :/

Kirie

Great OT!

Ugh my Amazon.ca copy doesn't even have a delivery estimate yet. Hope they ship it out tonight :(

I totally thought it was multiplayer for some reason. I don't know where I got that in my head.

Multiplayer would indeed have been cool. I actually picked up two copies, my partner is quite a casual player but loves Fantasy Life and a bit of Zelda time to time and I think the art style warmed her, and a copy for myself obviously. If we could have played co-op that would have been even better but as is, really looking forward to playing the game alongside each other and exploring the world :)

MicH

Nice OT, just downloaded it and played through the opening. Now off to bed. Looking forward to really digging into it tomorrow

kunonabi

Looking forward to this arriving tomorrow. I'll probably put it at the front of queue since I'm been looking forward to it ever since the announcement and the demo was solid too.

LeonSPBR

Waiting to unlock on eShop to play this.

Also the story image in the OT is barely legible. Need to change the color of the font or the background.

quabba

Had high hopes for this but impressions seem to say it's all bland busy work with a really slow start...

I'm still giving it a go hopefully I'll enjoy it more than them. I like the city building stuff.

Edit: saw some positive reviews, I really liked fantasy life so hopefully this scratches the same itch.

13ruce

Banned
Fuck okay i will order this game tommorow your OT and the demo sold me on the game. Oh and the great reviews.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I am ready to start my weekend with this game. I wanted to go digital but Amazon only offers the discount for preordering on physical copies.

I'm in just for the Mana lineage, even though I know it won't be the sequel I really want.

Same thing for Alliance Alive if that gets localized. Suikoden 2/3 scenario writer means I've got to give it a shot, regardless the outcome.

Mudo

Will this be up on the US Eshop at midnight EST tonight? If so I will stay up to download it. Very excited to play this!

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I might talk myself into picking this up over the weekend, but, if not, I will grab it eventually at least.

Psxphile

Intriguing thread title. This is now on my radar. As if I didn't already have a ton of unplayed games on my plate as is, but this one's got some of that old-school charm.

Effect

Nice OT! Will be picking up my copy at the post office tomorrow. Glad I have tomorrow off. Plan on hopefully putting some decent time into this.

big_z

Please remove the ActRaiser references. That's false advertising and a swift kick to the grundle for those hoping for something like it.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I enjoyed the demo and recent impressions saying its less Zelda than they thought it'd be. Being less Zelda can only be a good thing imo! I'm prolly gonna pick up a copy next month after knocking another game or two of my backlog. Can't be playing to many rpgs at once ya know?

Doorman

My copy's arriving tomorrow! My excitement level for this game went from "eh another 3DS RPG with a chibi-esque art style" from last year's Treehouse stream to "ok this actually looks like I'll really enjoy it a lot and I hope it's very successful" just over the course of the last 6 days or so. I'm expecting to work my way through it pretty slowly over the next month-ish but as long as the atmosphere's nice I'm totally in. I actually have wound up really liking a lot of the character designs, which helps, and it'd be cool to get another alternative-style RPG series out of this if it ends up doing well.

I actually have wound up really liking a lot of the character designs, which helps, and it'd be cool to get another alternative-style RPG series out of this if it ends up doing well.

I hope this becomes a series so these adorable characters can be featured in more games. My copy will be in tomorrow. Seems like a lovely, happy summertime game so it's coming out at just the right time.

I could have sworn I read about multiplayer functionality here on GAF, but I guess it might have been another person who made similar assumptions as me. The lack of it isn't a deal breaker, but it does mean I'll have to take some time to look into what the core gameplay loop actually is.

I could have sworn I read about multiplayer functionality here on GAF, but I guess it might have been another person who made similar assumptions as me. The lack of it isn't a deal breaker, but it does mean I'll have to take some time to look into what the core gameplay loop actually is.

This is a kind of cute video about the game loop :) click

Top Bottom