• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

Cry Havoc is a tad covoluted. It more or less makes sense when read all together. It's flawed, but there are good ideas there. The characterization is weaker than most of Spurrier's stuff. At least there are some cool monsters. I found it intriguing, but it's not the first thing I'd recommend of his.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Cry Havoc was pretty disappointing and I really didn't like The Spire. The only Spurrier book I've enjoyed was his Marvel Zombies SW tie-in.

I'll ready your grave.
I mean, supernatural clandestine soldiers are my jam. Animal spirit familiars? Sick.

But then there's the whole triple-timeline means of storytelling, which can get confusing. And also most of the dialogue is nonsense. All I got out of it was that a super baby may or may not change the world.

Can't really say anything about Cry Havok but The Spire is literally the best comic book I read this year so far, bar none. I would give it the strongest recommendation I could, whatever that amounts to lol

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Can't really say anything about Cry Havok but The Spire is literally the best comic book I read this year so far, bar none. I would give it the strongest recommendation I could, whatever that amounts to lol

I was going to ask if you were picking up Angelic this week then I remember you read trades.....so you picking up Angelic in 6 months?

I was going to ask if you were picking up Angelic this week then I remember you read trades.....so you picking up Angelic in 6 months?

Haha yea, how lucky I am -_-. Godshaper will be the next thing up for me as far as Spurrier goes, around the new year. Definitely going to check out Angelic though.

Aizo

Banned
In the musical video they did at the end. I dunno. That's what I thought of with the big hammer. Could be a Ramona Flowers influence instead.

qw2017_001_variant_mo30rzl.jpg

qw2017_001_most-variab7pgn.gif

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Looks like the dude could be Constantine drawn by Steve Dillon but I didn't read that run of the series.

EDIT : Ha! Beaten.

flkraven

This might be the wrong place to ask, so apologies in advance. I just need some advice for comic buying. I posted this in the Marvel Digital sale thread:

Haven't read comics in years. When I was a kid I used to buy them all the time. I used to read a bunch of X-Men and Spider-Man in the 90s (and I remember a comic called Bloodshot which I used to like, not Marvel).

I want to get back into it, but I find this all a bit overwhelming. Am I going to be lost if I jump into a series that was released in the 2000s? I don't mind branching out beyond X-Men and Spider-man. What do some of these packs mean, am I getting the whole series?

Recommendations and help please!
Marvel characters & worlds I know I like for sure - Spider-Man, X-Men (specifically I liked Gambit), Guardians of the Galaxy, Cap, Punisher, Ghost Rider. Spider-Gwen and this Miles Morales character intrigue me, and I heard something about a storyline involving Doc Ock in Spidey's body which seems interesting. I'm totally open to reading new characters/stories too!

Thanks!

This might be the wrong place to ask, so apologies in advance. I just need some advice for comic buying. I posted this in the Marvel Digital sale thread:

Haven't read comics in years. When I was a kid I used to buy them all the time. I used to read a bunch of X-Men and Spider-Man in the 90s (and I remember a comic called Bloodshot which I used to like, not Marvel).

I want to get back into it, but I find this all a bit overwhelming. Am I going to be lost if I jump into a series that was released in the 2000s? I don't mind branching out beyond X-Men and Spider-man. What do some of these packs mean, am I getting the whole series?

Marvel characters & worlds I know I like for sure - Spider-Man, X-Men (specifically I liked Gambit), Guardians of the Galaxy, Cap, Punisher, Ghost Rider. Spider-Gwen and this Miles Morales character intrigue me, and I heard something about a storyline involving Doc Ock in Spidey's body which seems interesting. I'm totally open to reading new characters/stories too!

Thanks!

You've mentioned quite a lot of series/characters there, but you can probably narrow it down a bit by which characters have a series at the moment and sadly some of the characters mentioned have bad writing at the moment.

I'd probably leave x-men unless you were wanting to read some older stuff, the current runs are not so good and the runs before that probably even worse ha.

Spider-man you could probably start from the 1 in the most recent run of Amazing spider-man as that was a pretty much jumping on point. If you like the writers work you could then go back to some of his previous stories like Superior spider-man (which was the run where Doc Ock was in spideys body).

Guardians of the galaxy has had a recent relaunch with it being closer to the movie versions, so if you have seen the films you should be pretty much good to go and start from issue number 1 of that.

Punishers most recent series hasnt been a big hit and ghost rider doesn't have a current series so again unless you want to read some of the older stuff I'd probably leave those as well.

There are a lot of other good marvel series you may want to consider as well. Stories like Jason Aarons Thor run which though has run over a few different named comics is all one big story, Gwenpool, Squirrel girl etc.

Also just to add a non Marvel alternative, the company who did Bloodshot called Valiant recently resurrected itself a few years back and brought back new versions of its characters including Bloodshot. The recent Bloodshot run of theres is rated really highly and probably most people would say kicks off from a story called Bloodshot reborn.

Theres probably a lot more series people can recommend and suggest but just thought I'd mention a few to kick you off :)

Thanks!

This is the right place to ask for comic recommendations. For X-Men, I'd recommend the current series, Astonishing X-Men. It's going to be 12 issues and we're now a few issues in. It's really good and has Gambit. All you need to know going into it is that Professor X has been dead for some time now. Though this title has a limited run planned, it is supposedly going to lay the ground work for the X-Men's future titles
or something like that.

Anything by Rossmo will be an instant buy for me going forward.

Did you read Drumheller? It's 10 issues of trippy art and even trippier plotting.

flkraven

You've mentioned quite a lot of series/characters there, but you can probably narrow it down a bit by which characters have a series at the moment and sadly some of the characters mentioned have bad writing at the moment.

I'd probably leave x-men unless you were wanting to read some older stuff, the current runs are not so good and the runs before that probably even worse ha.

Spider-man you could probably start from the 1 in the most recent run of Amazing spider-man as that was a pretty much jumping on point. If you like the writers work you could then go back to some of his previous stories like Superior spider-man (which was the run where Doc Ock was in spideys body).

Guardians of the galaxy has had a recent relaunch with it being closer to the movie versions, so if you have seen the films you should be pretty much good to go and start from issue number 1 of that.

Punishers most recent series hasnt been a big hit and ghost rider doesn't have a current series so again unless you want to read some of the older stuff I'd probably leave those as well.

There are a lot of other good marvel series you may want to consider as well. Stories like Jason Aarons Thor run which though has run over a few different named comics is all one big story, Gwenpool, Squirrel girl etc.

Also just to add a non Marvel alternative, the company who did Bloodshot called Valiant recently resurrected itself a few years back and brought back new versions of its characters including Bloodshot. The recent Bloodshot run of theres is rated really highly and probably most people would say kicks off from a story called Bloodshot reborn.

Theres probably a lot more series people can recommend and suggest but just thought I'd mention a few to kick you off :)

This is the right place to ask for comic recommendations. For X-Men, I'd recommend the current series, Astonishing X-Men. It's going to be 12 issues and we're now a few issues in. It's really good and has Gambit. All you need to know going into it is that Professor X has been dead for some time now. Though this title has a limited run planned, it is supposedly going to lay the ground work for the X-Men's future titles
or something like that.

Did you read Drumheller? It's 10 issues of trippy art and even trippier plotting.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm actually looking at Valiant's catalogue right now lol.

Thanks!

For Superior Spider-Man, there is a great review guide by our own Psych-Bat in the Comics GAF Spider-Man Guide thread post #28

For Miles Morales Spider-Man the order is
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man
Vol 1
Vol 2

Spider-Men Mini Series

Vol 3
Vol 4
Vol 5

It gets rebranded and relaunched as Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man
Vol 1
Vol 2

The Secret Wars happens and the title is relaunched as Spider-Man
Vol 1
Vol 2
Vol 3/Spider-Gwen crossover

Thats it so far!

flkraven

For Superior Spider-Man, there is a great review guide by our own Psych-Bat in the Comics GAF Spider-Man Guide thread post #28

Vol 1
Vol 2

Spider-Men Mini Series

Vol 3
Vol 4
Vol 5

Vol 1
Vol 2

Vol 1
Vol 2

Thats it so far!

Wow this is all gold! The 'what to read before superior' is also awesome. So is 'New Day' what I should be reading for the most current Spidey stuff?

Nevermind, I'm getting a better grasp on the time line. Even New Day or the stuff before Superior seems scary lol. I feel sort of lost, and no time seems like a good spot to jump in and catch up.

Nevermind, I'm getting a better grasp on the time line. Even New Day or the stuff before Superior seems scary lol. I feel sort of lost, and no time seems like a good spot to jump in and catch up.

No one can read everything. Or remember everything they read, for that matter. You're learning about the general timelines of things. But really, this is basically just an awesome dude in spandex swinging around helping people. Don't worry too much. Dive in there and read some comics! Then come back and tell us what you thought!

Been away back up in Scotland for a very nice weekend so haven't had a chance to read too much but managed to catch up on a few bits. Mister miracle 2 was amazing, the character moments/relationships and great dialogue have recieved a lot of praise but there should really be more praise for the action scenes in the early pages as well, Gerards bringing his best work yet I think. The first issue was good but felt like a first issue and a lot of set up, tone setting, but this issue really felt like things have well and truly kicked off.

Also managed to finally find a copy of Hi-Fi fight club issue 1 in Edinburgh forbidden planet after no luck on the net for a few weeks. Was good fun, definitely in for the next issue.

Did come back to the news that I'm probably going to be losing my job in the next few months though, good weekend mood and good comics mood quickly gone :(

Mindwipe

Amazon just launched a 10" tablet with a non-reprehensible screen for $150. I'm surprised they don't push it via Comixology, it feels like a good entry level device.

God, that Miracle solicit.
How do you spend your last night on Earth? Why, with the one you love, of course! Having been condemned to death by the new Highmaster, Mister Miracle is going to have to return to New Genesis for his execution. Before he does, he and Big Barda go on one last date. But if Scott Free truly is infected by Darkseid, as Orion says, you can bet some dark force will intervene—only to what end?

flkraven

Vol 1
Vol 2

Spider-Men Mini Series

Vol 3
Vol 4
Vol 5

Vol 1
Vol 2

Vol 1
Vol 2

Thats it so far!

Thanks to that Spider-Man thread you linked, I got:

Spider-Man: Died in Your Arms Tonight
Spider-Man: Ends of the Earth
Spider-Man: Dying Wish

to prep for my last purchase
Superior Spider-Man Vol 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

That should be fun! Thank you!

Edit: Is this the one after Superior?: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NEW45Z2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Top Bottom