• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yes the packapunch line from him has each line individually shielded.

I checked with the owner of the store, and he said that packapunch cables for the PS1, Saturn, and other systems will be available "soon." So... cool. I guess I don't need them until the gscartsw lite ships anyway.

Timu

Correct, but they will work on PS1 games when played on a PS2. It will still be at the PS1 game's native res too, (likely 240p, but occasionally 480i).
They will always be in 240p, trust me, I know as I used PS3 and PS2 component cables on a PS2 for PS1 games and it always detects 240p unless the game runs in 480i.

I'm starting to suspect that my softmodded fat PS2 is dead, something might've happened to it while I was dedusting it the other day. It's not even giving me the red standby light when I plug it in.

Looks like I'm back to square 1 for the first 2 Sony consoles, RIP

bodine1231

Picked this baby up from Craigslist today for $250.The internals and speakers work (you can hear the game running) so thats good but unfortunately the chassis needs repair or replacement and there is burn in on the lower part of the screen. I may just try and mount an LCD inside,I just don't feel like constantly maintaining that Nanao monitor because they go out all the time. I already have a PVM with groovymame so I'm good on the retro scanline front. I really just wanted the cab and for $250 I just couldn't pass it up.

Needs some cleaning but otherwise in great shape!

mBS1WOKl.jpg

You can see the burn in on the bottom,I don't see it anywhere else. Debating whether its worth sending the chassis off for repair,I'm sure the burn in will bother me.

mVcrDjdl.jpg

I'm starting to suspect that my softmodded fat PS2 is dead, something might've happened to it while I was dedusting it the other day. It's not even giving me the red standby light when I plug it in.

I had that happen ages ago and it was just a blown fuse.

KC-Slater

Picked this baby up from Craigslist today for $250.The internals and speakers work (you can hear the game running) so thats good but unfortunately the chassis needs repair or replacement and there is burn in on the lower part of the screen. I may just try and mount an LCD inside,I just don't feel like constantly maintaining that Nanao monitor because they go out all the time. I already have a PVM with groovymame so I'm good on the retro scanline front. I really just wanted the cab and for $250 I just couldn't pass it up.

Needs some cleaning but otherwise in great shape!

mBS1WOKl.jpg

You can see the burn in on the bottom,I don't see it anywhere else. Debating whether its worth sending the chassis off for repair,I'm sure the burn in will bother me.

mVcrDjdl.jpg

That's a great deal on a beautiful cab! There are lots of resources available online to restore it, too. If you're not married to the idea of keeping Sega Bass Fishing in there, you can easily throw in another board and swap out the control panel with something a little more universal.

No light sounds like a power supply issue and there's a good chance it's the fuse.

Also:

IIRC early fat models used plug in chip sockets and the chips could come lose when moving the console around / dropping it. This wouldn't cause your issue though.

bodine1231

That's a great deal on a beautiful cab! There are lots of resources available online to restore it, too. If you're not married to the idea of keeping Sega Bass Fishing in there, you can easily throw in another board and swap out the control panel with something a little more universal.

I've already bought a new control panel to replace the fishing one. I have a groovymame pc running on my pvm that I was going to put in there but I can't afford $600 for a new crt right now so I'm just gonna put a 27" LCD and make an acrylic bezel to make it look good. Hopefully I can find a replacement crt on Craigslist or save up for the a new one but they are getting harder and harder to find.

Kawika

I found out my OSSC is shipping Thursday. I hope I get it before my return window for my TV. I really hope that my new tv (Sony 800D) is compatible with this OSSC. The 2015 model of this tv was compatible so I think I have a good shot. Still, I would like to make sure before my return window is over on the 26th.

Kawika

Took these shots to help a dude over at SHMUPS forums, so I thought to drop them here as well, to encourage some hesitant OSSC buyer to pull the trigger... :D

MDFF2_zpshom5jqbe.jpg

(Garou Densetsu 2 - Mega Drive)

MDGH_zpsbb91cj3v.jpg

(Gunstar Heroes - Mega Drive)

SatSFZ2_zpsont6i0wd.jpg

(Street Fighter Zero 2' - Saturn)

So I got shipping confirmation for my OSSC. What cable did you end up buying? I am not sure if you got the audio upgrade but I am assuming audio transfers through the dvi to hdmi. I shouldn't need much more than a dvi to hdmi adapter and then just a hdmi cable to my monitor/tv. right?

ToD_

So I got shipping confirmation for my OSSC. What cable did you end up buying? I am not sure if you got the audio upgrade but I am assuming audio transfers through the dvi to hdmi. I shouldn't need much more than a dvi to hdmi adapter and then just a hdmi cable to my monitor/tv. right?

If you don't have the audio upgrade audio will not transfer through the dvi/hdmi cable. There is an analog (3.5mm jack) output, however, so you can connect a 3.5mm to RCA cable to your audio device (receiver, etc).

Espo83

So this thing seems to have been announced yesterday? i don't see it on the hyperkin site

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072PC59FQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm very torn on it because I'm not a huge fan of Hyperkin since the retron5 using open source code without credit or permission thing. But this is supposedly hardware based and for 50 bucks its a lot cheaper than a Retro AVS. I know we have no clue what output will be like, but I would expect it to be similar. Anyone else know more?

So this thing seems to have been announced yesterday? i don't see it on the hyperkin site

I'm very torn on it because I'm not a huge fan of Hyperkin since the retron5 using open source code without credit or permission thing. But this is supposedly hardware based and for 50 bucks its a lot cheaper than a Retro AVS. I know we have no clue what output will be like, but I would expect it to be similar. Anyone else know more?

First I'm hearing of it. No GAF thread?

Danny Dudekisser

What about this listing suggests this isn't the typical android emulator shit?

Espo83

Question: Does this device use software emulation or is it a really good hardware clone?
Answer: Hey Adan, the RetroN 1 HD is all hardware! No emulation. Thank you for reaching out!
By Celia MANUFACTURER on May 9, 2017

No thread yet and I cant make one as a junior.

Danny Dudekisser

Question: Does this device use software emulation or is it a really good hardware clone?
Answer: Hey Adan, the RetroN 1 HD is all hardware! No emulation. Thank you for reaching out!
By Celia MANUFACTURER on May 9, 2017

No thread yet and I cant make one as a junior.

Hmm... interesting. The qualm I have, though, is that it says it has high compatibility rather than full compatibility. There's a catch.

dmix90

Did you unplug Reset/Eject button connector from motherboard? I inserted it the wrong way when assembled the system once( other nearby connectors from DVD drive are face down when plugged but for this one it must be face up )

Stupid thing but still worth a double check... )

Espo83

This was pretty much the same thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YlJYaJvJH4

I assumed at the time that someone in China made an NES-on-a-chip that outputs HDMI. Hyperkin likely just bought some of that.

Neat. If they are the same thing looks like the output is not great but I guess not terrible for what you pay. I have a retro AVS on order I think ill probably keep it. I really do like the look of this new hyperkin box though and that they say zapper and original peripherals work (via AV, when using CRT) sounds promising for compatibility.

Kawika

If you don't have the audio upgrade audio will not transfer through the dvi/hdmi cable. There is an analog (3.5mm jack) output, however, so you can connect a 3.5mm to RCA cable to your audio device (receiver, etc).

I have the audio upgrade. I want to know if the audio passes through the dvi to the hdmi.

Danny Dudekisser

Alright. Placed the order for the gscartsw lite and the gcompsw. Should be pretty cool.

Dude says the gcompsw supply is dwindling, but it'll probably still be available by next week. gscartsw lite orders close next week, as well.

bobble

I have the audio upgrade. I want to know if the audio passes through the dvi to the hdmi.

Yup! I got mine last week and use a DVI to HDMI cable (DVI on one end, plugs into HDMI on my tv on the other), audio comes through.

On one of my TVs I have problems with audio on SNES coming through on the HDMI but it works with other systems.

Kawika

Yup! I got mine last week and use a DVI to HDMI cable (DVI on one end, plugs into HDMI on my tv on the other), audio comes through.

On one of my TVs I have problems with audio on SNES coming through on the HDMI but it works with other systems.

Thanks. I will pick up that adapter. Did you need to update the firmware when you got it?

Galdelico

Thanks. I will pick up that adapter. Did you need to update the firmware when you got it?

Other gaffers already replied, but - just for completeness' sake - this is the cable I bought. Mainly for convenience, to have a single lead going from the OSSC to my PC monitor (instead of cable + adapter).
Also, I don't have the audio board installed. I use a 2.0 set - a Creative T20 - directly plugged into OSSC's stereo output jack.

Einhandr

Has anyone here had any work done by Voultar before? Seems like a real reputable and awesome guy. I sent him my SNES jr to mod for RGB. I emailed him maybe 3 times though asking about it, just to make sure he got it safely and I haven't heard anything back. Tracking said he got it on May 1st and his page said the turnaround time is about 5 business days so I'm starting to get a little nervous.

Has anyone here had any work done by Voultar before? Seems like a real reputable and awesome guy. I sent him my SNES jr to mod for RGB. I emailed him maybe 3 times though asking about it, just to make sure he got it safely and I haven't heard anything back. Tracking said he got it on May 1st and his page said the turnaround time is about 5 business days so I'm starting to get a little nervous.

I've sent Voultar my SNES Mini and N64 for his work, he does really good jobs on them.

His twitter says that he's simply been busy with other things recently

I should start considering what PC-Engine model to get now...

He installed my HiDefNES kit and did a great job. He's very meticulous. I know he's also been having email issues and has said a few times to contact him by DM on twitter, that he's had better luck with that.

Einhandr

He installed my HiDefNES kit and did a great job. He's very meticulous. I know he's also been having email issues and has said a few times to contact him by DM on twitter, that he's had better luck with that.

Yeah I didn't think he was going to do anything shady. I was just getting nervous that maybe it was misdelivered somehow and he didn't get it. I'll try to hit him up on Twitter.

Kawika

I've sent Voultar my SNES Mini and N64 for his work, he does really good jobs on them.

His twitter says that he's simply been busy with other things recently

I should start considering what PC-Engine model to get now...

I have him working on my SNES Mini right now. The guy doesn't communicate well because I asked him a few questions about if he was willing to un hdmi my analogue nt. I really am considering getting a pc engine but I really don't know whats good besides rondo of blood. Everyone says its THE console for shoot em ups. I have room for 2-3 more consoles in my scart hub. I am considering pce and saturn but I also have more nostalgia for my dreamcast and I think I want one of those too.

I have maybe 5-8 games left in my cart collection reacquisition. I still have the gathering bug so I am really considering hunting down good games from dreamcast, ps2, GCN and xbox gen that are 60 fps games. Disc drives break down too often for me to really want to invest too much effort. I need to look into hard drive modding my PS2 and XBOX asap.

Danny Dudekisser

I have him working on my SNES Mini right now. The guy doesn't communicate well because I asked him a few questions about if he was willing to un hdmi my analogue nt. I really am considering getting a pc engine but I really don't know whats good besides rondo of blood. Everyone says its THE console for shoot em ups. I have room for 2-3 more consoles in my scart hub. I am considering pce and saturn but I also have more nostalgia for my dreamcast and I think I want one of those too.

I have maybe 5-8 games left in my cart collection reacquisition. I still have the gathering bug so I am really considering hunting down good games from dreamcast, ps2, GCN and xbox gen that are 60 fps games. Disc drives break down too often for me to really want to invest too much effort. I need to look into hard drive modding my PS2 and XBOX asap.

PC Engine is A console for shoot-em-ups, not THE console... IMHO, etc, etc. Frankly, I don't think it comes even close to the Saturn... and if we're talking quality over quantity, even the PS1's ahead of it. So is the Dreamcast.

There's also a lot of really good CD games on PCE, which a lot of them are starting to finally get fan translations. I've really come to like my PCE and I think what we got in the West doesn't show off how good a system it was. A lot of the best the system had to offer was on CD and never made it outside of Japan. This may sound weird but I think it's a system that makes a nice compliment to the Genesis or SNES if that makes sense.

Kawika

PC Engine is A console for shoot-em-ups, not THE console... IMHO, etc, etc. Frankly, I don't think it comes even close to the Saturn... and if we're talking quality over quantity, even the PS1's ahead of it. So is the Dreamcast.

Hyperbole on my part yes. I have a friend who really loves his PCE for shooters. I know a lot of people collect for all sorts of consoles for various reasons. I need a tug of nostalgia to really get me going. I know people who love the C64 and I just stare blankly whenever I see it. I just wish there was a decent way to play Rondo w/o having a pce.

Speaking of Voultar, I bought a SNES Mini RGB mod from him and I use google payments all the time for android and my music sub but then when I went to pay voultar, it asked me for additional information. I don't mind sharing usual stuff but I went full stop when google wallet asked for my ssn. WTF? I would assume this would be necessary if I were the one taking the payment but I am paying someone. I really don't know what to do and he has yet to reply to any of my emails I have sent him.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
He ghosted on a few of my requests to mod an NES for RGB lately... but I'm not even mad. I think dude is busy as hell. I'm sure I'll catch him free eventually.

I got a gscart and have been testing it out so far. No crawling noise like Bandridge's scart switches, although jailbars are more prevelant on the Genesis now. It can be "fixed" by enabling my Samsung's noise filter, but advanced options are only available in line 3x mode.

Edit: I also get some weird squeaking noise whenever I turn off said Genesis whenever the stereo jack on the scart cable is plugged in, if my speaker's turned off, or said jack is not connected, then I don't get the squeak

Hyperbole on my part yes. I have a friend who really loves his PCE for shooters. I know a lot of people collect for all sorts of consoles for various reasons. I need a tug of nostalgia to really get me going. I know people who love the C64 and I just stare blankly whenever I see it. I just wish there was a decent way to play Rondo w/o having a pce.

Speaking of Voultar, I bought a SNES Mini RGB mod from him and I use google payments all the time for android and my music sub but then when I went to pay voultar, it asked me for additional information. I don't mind sharing usual stuff but I went full stop when google wallet asked for my ssn. WTF? I would assume this would be necessary if I were the one taking the payment but I am paying someone. I really don't know what to do and he has yet to reply to any of my emails I have sent him.

I don't think that's on him, I think that's Google Wallet. It's randomly done similar to me when using it to pay for other things.

Kawika

I don't think that's on him, I think that's Google Wallet. It's randomly done similar to me when using it to pay for other things.

I know it wasn't him. He helped me remedy the situation. Very happy now. Had a terrible amount of anxiety that I wasn't going to be able to pay the man.

I got a gscart and have been testing it out so far. No crawling noise like Bandridge's scart switches, although jailbars are more prevelant on the Genesis now. It can be "fixed" by enabling my Samsung's noise filter, but advanced options are only available in line 3x mode.

Edit: I also get some weird squeaking noise whenever I turn off said Genesis whenever the stereo jack on the scart cable is plugged in, if my speaker's turned off, or said jack is not connected, then I don't get the squeak

I just checked, I get it with my Genesis too. I wonder if we have the same cable from that ebayer. I think I just turn down the volume on the headphone jack and that fixes it.

I just checked, I get it with my Genesis too. I wonder if we have the same cable from that ebayer. I think I just turn down the volume on the headphone jack and that fixes it.

I got my scart from Retro Gaming Cables, but needed a converter to work on my model 1, and that's from Retro Console Accessories on Ebay

Also turning down the volume slider doesn't fix the problem

Kawika

I got my scart from Retro Gaming Cables, but needed a converter to work on my model 1, and that's from Retro Console Accessories on Ebay

Also turning down the volume slider doesn't fix the problem

I got my cable from retro console accessories. Did you turn down the volume on the speakers? You know when I was using my pvm this didn't happen (built in speaker) but when i moved to my bvm with bose shelf speakers it started. I don't even notice it half the time to be honest.

Peltz

He ghosted on a few of my requests to mod an NES for RGB lately... but I'm not even mad. I think dude is busy as hell. I'm sure I'll catch him free eventually.

He sort of ghosted me too for NES RGB. I would rather get it done by someone else at this point.

When Dave came over a few weeks ago I got to try is RGB modded toploader NES. That image output is pretty damn clean. So now I'm just waiting to find the right guy to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom