• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

Which of these has the better monitor? The 72% monitor is $50 more on Prostar's website, but the price is the same here and I can't see any other differences between the two laptops.

Display: 15.6” FHD IPS (1920 x 1080) LED Matte Type Display
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075H3YRJ1/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Display: 15.6” FHD IPS 72% (1920 x 1080) LED Matte Type Display
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0711CDT8L/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Just in case I don't find any better deals by Cyber Monday. I think they already raised the price of 16GB ram upgrades by $20 on all the customizeable clevo sites, and wouldn't be surprised if they did more sneaky price bumps.

llien

Geekbench results of

Ryzen 5 2500u
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/4830409

Intel 8550u version
http://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/4823747

It's not the fastest ULV Ryzen, but results are already pretty good.

Which of these has the better monitor? The 72% monitor is $50 more on Prostar's website, but the price is the same here and I can't see any other differences between the two laptops.

Display: 15.6” FHD IPS (1920 x 1080) LED Matte Type Display
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075H3YRJ1/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Display: 15.6” FHD IPS 72% (1920 x 1080) LED Matte Type Display
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0711CDT8L/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Just in case I don't find any better deals by Cyber Monday. I think they already raised the price of 16GB ram upgrades by $20 on all the customizeable clevo sites, and wouldn't be surprised if they did more sneaky price bumps.

It is hard to say what on earth "IPS 72%" means. 72% of what, RGB space? sRGB?

llien

Asus ROG with Ryzen and RX 580 (CPU is not soldered and is upgradable):
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-...700-Radeon-RX-580-Laptop-Review.247548.0.html

Gaming benchmarks:
cySblO4.png

llien

Any news on Volta Laptops next year?

Nobody knows as nVidia in its current position avoids pre-announcing stuff, not to harm ongoing sales.
Consumer Volta, by the way, is being skipped, next consumer architecture from nVidia will be Ampere and it is expected to be announced end of March next year.

It is $1299. As i said a few pages ago I dropped my GT62VR and am looking for a replacement,. What do you guys think of this unit?

1300 for a 1060 notebook doesn't sound great to me. It is "stealth" line (slim ) but still.

JB73

Neo Member
1300 for a 1060 notebook doesn't sound great to me. It is "stealth" line (slim ) but still.

I guess I should be a bit more clear. I dropped my MSI and have a 1500 dollar store credit so I need to buy my new laptop at Best Buy. The cheapest 1070 system at best buy is $1699 (asus) and the cheapest 1060 with 6GB is a dell that is $1199 (not a fan of dell). So $1299 for a 1060 6GB looks to be a good deal. I have went back and forth on the slim design of the GS63VR though. It's not real upgradeable and I wonder how it handles the temperatures on game play.

I got the 17 inch version oif that laptop two weeks ago. They have both been at their current prices for the past two weeks. So you shouldn't have to rush.

I got lucky on mine. Got an open box one for $1,259. Couldn't pass it up for that price. It was barely used.

JB73

Neo Member
There's a good 1070 clevo/sager laptop deal at microcenter for black friday, in-store pickup only. Cheaper than most 1060 6gb deals. I will say no more on this matter, as you are now my competition for getting in line early.

that is an awesome deal.. it's a shame i have the best buy credit or i would have bought it..

jaydogg691

Hey new GAF.

So after time has passed on me contemplating on buying a Mac, I’ve decided to make the jump to the (somewhat) PC Master Race. The reason for this jump was I really need an actual computer for actual computing. This iPad that I’m typing this post isn’t getting it done.

Anyways, now that the holiday shopping season is here I’ve decided to make the jump on this rig:

Here are the specs. Core i5, 8GB RAM are the notable:

Now that things have come and passed I’m kind of debating if I should have gone for the i7. I’ve gone back and now looking what an i7 would have cost me.

Here is the same computer equipped with an i7 and 16GB of RAM:

Price difference is about $250:

The main thing is how much of a gap is there between the i5 and i7? RAM is always upgradable. This PC does have a Thunderbolt 3 port and if I do decide to get an external GPU, will the i5 be a bigger bottleneck than going i7? Also, will VR perform well with the i5 setup? I do want this PC to be a good long term investment.

Thanks GAF. 🙏

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Hey new GAF.

So after time has passed on me contemplating on buying a Mac, I've decided to make the jump to the (somewhat) PC Master Race. The reason for this jump was I really need an actual computer for actual computing. This iPad that I'm typing this post isn't getting it done.

Anyways, now that the holiday shopping season is here I've decided to make the jump on this rig:

Here are the specs. Core i5, 8GB RAM are the notable:

Now that things have come and passed I'm kind of debating if I should have gone for the i7. I've gone back and now looking what an i7 would have cost me.

Here is the same computer equipped with an i7 and 16GB of RAM:

Price difference is about $250:

The main thing is how much of a gap is there between the i5 and i7? RAM is always upgradable. This PC does have a Thunderbolt 3 port and if I do decide to get an external GPU, will the i5 be a bigger bottleneck than going i7? Also, will VR perform well with the i5 setup? I do want this PC to be a good long term investment.

Thanks GAF. ��

I can't say a 7700HQ is worth $250. A 7820HK maybe.

tmac456

Currently own a 2yr old acer nitro with an 860m in it.

Been on a big fortnite binge and want to upgrade to something that'll run that at max settings. Looking to spend $900-$1100 help

Or talk me into getting a gaming desktop lol

Estellex

Been on a big fortnite binge and want to upgrade to something that'll run that at max settings. Looking to spend $900-$1100 help

I mean a gaming laptop isn't bad. I am a student so I carry a laptop around almost everyday.

K.Jack

You should always go gaming powerful desktop with a weak, portable laptop for carry, unless you have a good reason to need a gaming laptop.

At that price I'd buy it regardless of any flaws.

JB73

Neo Member
At that price I'd buy it regardless of any flaws.

So I played an hour of Civilization 4 and here is what the temperatures said:

CPU 1 was 85*C. GPU was 80*C
CPU 2 was 85*C.
CPU 3 was 87*C.
CPU 4 was 86*C.

The top part of the keyboard on the bezel was hot to the touch. When I quit playing the game it cooled down quickly. I am still using the standard hdd in it. I haven't installed the new ssd yet. Is this a problem Jack regarding the temperature? Anything I can do to keep it cooler?

K.Jack

I'm about one week from posting privileges for the ERA thread. Stay tuned.

So I played an hour of Civilization 4 and here is what the temperatures said:

CPU 1 was 85*C. GPU was 80*C
CPU 2 was 85*C.
CPU 3 was 87*C.
CPU 4 was 86*C.

The top part of the keyboard on the bezel was hot to the touch. When I quit playing the game it cooled down quickly. I am still using the standard hdd in it. I haven't installed the new ssd yet. Is this a problem Jack regarding the temperature? Anything I can do to keep it cooler?

Well, I have always felt that anything below 90C is acceptable. Mobile CPUs and GPUs are rated for 100C. Your temps are normal for that laptop.

Replacing the factory thermal paste is usually the most direct means to lower temperatures. Propping up the hind of the laptop with something like bottle caps is also surprisingly effective.

JB73

Neo Member
I'm about one week from posting privileges for the ERA thread. Stay tuned.

Well, I have always felt that anything below 90C is acceptable. Mobile CPUs and GPUs are rated for 100C. Your temps are normal for that laptop.

Replacing the factory thermal paste is usually the most direct means to lower temperatures. Propping up the hind of the laptop with something like bottle caps is also surprisingly effective.

Thanks K.Jack. I was just concerned that it was pretty hot to the touch, but if there isn't any damage that I should be concerned with then it's just fine. :) . Thanks for all of your help.

Top Bottom