• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf let's quit drinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alterno69

Banned
Hello gaf, i'm 32 and i have a drinking problem.

You might say my drinking habits are quite standard, i drink maybe twice a week at the most, almost never get drunk but hammered enough to behave in a way i normally wouldn't when sober.

Recently, i've been feeling quite bad the next day after having even just a few drinks, not physically but mentally. Like this guilt and regret that what i'm doing is just not right, i don't like the person i become when i drink too much, my wife hates it too.

I've decided that i want to quit drinking, it is something(drinking) that doesn't make me a better person, not drinking will, as it will allow me to be more focused 24/7 in the things that i care about the most which is my wife and children. I think i have the will power to quit it by myself but i'm going to join an AA group anyway or at least give it a shot and see how i feel there, hell i might even help me work on some other issues i have in my life.

So fellow gaffers, anyone here been through this or considering something like this?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've been toying with this as well. Considering what it would be like if I drank one of those spicy hurt your mouth but it feels good ginger brew things everytime I want a drink. I don't know. I've become really obsessive about health and nutrition lately and its really making feel "bad" when I drink.

alterno69

Banned
I'm not trying to convinve anyone to do the same but i think it'd be fun to think about why we drink, i've realised many times we drink in order to have fun, would you enjoy going out with your friends and not drink? Why is that?

WHAT?!?!?!??!??!

I'm not trying to convinve anyone to do the same but i think it'd be fun to think about why we drink, i've realised many times we drink in order to have fun, would you enjoy going out with your friends and not drink? Why is that?

We have fun, but the a a a a a alcohol just makes things funner. Maybe just don't drink as much?

ScOULaris

Nah. Drinking is fun, bruh. I only drink to the point of drunkenness maybe once or twice a month, though. Maybe even less than that, depending on the time of year.

sn00zer

Drinking relaxes me, get a bit anxious sometimes....I only drink in excess maybe two times a month, and never have more than 2 beers on the weekday

alterno69

Banned
Like i said, i'm 32, i've been drinking since i was 15, went from getting totally wasted every time i drank to knowing when to stop but still being someone i don't like while drunk.

I think i've had enough.

akira28

I support your efforts to change. If you think that you're doing something too much, you might be right.
I'm willing to drink all your booze to assist you in your recovering your life.

lil smoke

Banned

It's more do you drink to have fun, or do you drink to get drunk. Drinking to have fun does not mean that you cannot have fun without drinking, but drinking just to get drunk seems that you may lack the ability to have fun, and maybe trying to avoid that reality.

Imm0rt4l

I don't have a drinking problem, I drink socially and I'm disciplined enough that I won't drink to get shitfaced unless that's the goal.

Bruiserk

I go out with friends and not drink quite often, most of the time it is because I enjoy being the responsible DD. Within my circle of friends we never turned to drugs or alcohol when the majority of people at our age did because we felt we didn't need it to have a good time.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I would give up but the pro's of drinking outweigh the cons.

for example you can't meet up with old friends and get hammered.

just cut back OP or mix/match your drugs of choice.

Kaladin

I've thought about quitting drinking caffeine or sodas maybe....but alcohol? Fuck that. I need a good buzz every now and then and I'm a mellow drunk.

If you don't like drinking, and you want to stop, more power to you. Gotta do what you think is best in life.

Anyway, something to consider; moderate drinking is associated with lower cholesterol and longer life expectancy.

ScOULaris

Like i said, i'm 32, i've been drinking since i was 15, went from getting totally wasted every time i drank to knowing when to stop but still being someone i don't like while drunk.

I think i've had enough.

Yeah. If you turn into an a-hole when you're drunk, you should probably stop drinking. You should also look inward to determine what is keeping you from being content and causing you to act negatively when drunk.

Arjen

Good luck with your goal, but no thanks.
An ice cold beer on a hot summerday is one of the top 5 things in life.

alphaNoid

Banned
Hello gaf, i'm 32 and i have a drinking problem.

You might say my drinking habits are quite standard, i drink maybe twice a week at the most, almost never get drunk but hammered enough to behave in a way i normally wouldn't when sober.

Recently, i've been feeling quite bad the next day after having even just a few drinks, not physically but mentally. Like this guilt and regret that what i'm doing is just not right, i don't like the person i become when i drink too much, my wife hates it too.

I've decided that i want to quit drinking, it is something(drinking) that doesn't make me a better person, not drinking will, as it will allow me to be more focused 24/7 in the things that i care about the most which is my wife and children. I think i have the will power to quit it by myself but i'm going to join an AA group anyway or at least give it a shot and see how i feel there, hell i might even help me work on some other issues i have in my life.

So fellow gaffers, anyone here been through this or considering something like this?

I'm 32 also and feel similar. however I just drink wine now and its awesome. no more beer and occasional liquor when I'm with the boys.

drinking irresponcibly is something I'm leaving behind.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Serious answer, I don't drink that much to really need to quit. I have gone months without taking a single sip. I got absolutely hammered and blacked out end of January but before that I can honestly say I haven't been anywhere close to that drunk in years.

I'm usually the DD too. The only time I ever really crave a beer is on a Friday after work if I'm out.

alterno69

Banned
I never drink to get drunk, it's just second nature with my family and friends, drinks are always implied in the stuff we do to have fun, like i said i'm not a drunk asshole but still.

ChuyMasta

You are on your own on this one, soldier. I will provide my moral support though. By drinking on your name. Cheers!

You can do it!

Salmonax

This is a pretty standard early-30s revelation, since hangovers naturally just get worse as your body gets less resilient. It's a pretty great natural governor. I think quitting altogether is a little extreme, but go with what your body is telling you to do.

Amory

alterno69 said:
almost never get drunk but hammered enough to behave in a way i normally wouldn't when sober.

What? Not drunk but hammered enough to act differently is...drunk.

I just drink beer, mostly. I like the taste more than hard liquor (except a good scotch, of course) and it helps control consumption too. I really should skip out on the beer too for a while though to help lose weight, but ehhh

I think i've had enough.

It's you shortassed life man. If you feel bad drinking, stop.

Drinking isn't cool of anything and when you get older, you recovery takes longer. Before you know it you're tired all day.

akira28

My family never drinks, except for wine. It'd be weird to see them doing shots. That was always more of a school activity or among friends.

Anyway, I haven't had a beer in 2 months I think. I will go enjoy the high life tonight.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Considering that very, and I mean very few people I know who have kids, drink enough to get drunk multiple times a week (if your behavior changes, that means you're drunk, don't dance around that) I wouldn't say what you do is standard. It's for the best you decided to change.

Yeah, I've mostly quit drinking myself (though for spiritual/religious reasons). I'll maybe have a glass of wine with a meal but that's it. I'm 23 though and sometimes I do miss the whole social bonding aspect, but it's not enough of a reason to continue.

Mononofu

Sorry about your problem but a drink is nice every once and a while. Never been drunk.

superman.gif

DarkKyo

I think i've had enough.

QaftYm.jpg

You rack disciprine.

But I kind of like the message of this episode, about how if you completely stop what you like it's still an issue that owns who you are. You need to really work at that fine line between discipline and enjoyment. I'm not too sure how to go about this, though.

Edit: Also, judging by what you just said, if you like drinking but don't like how you are when you are drunk... the answer would be to not get drunk. You know when to stop? Apparently not if you don't like that level of drunk- try stopping a little before that level. Maybe just have a couple drinks for a buzz instead of a drunk.

Alcohol contains chemicals that draw depressive feelings which is probably why youre feeling like crap, drink far less and drink more water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom