• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The *Definitive* PSP RPGs for Vita Thread

Grimmy

Banned
European PSN prices as of 26-02-2012

RECOMMENDED, SONY-APPROVED FULL VITA COMPATIBILITY TITLES

The 3rd Birthday €19,99
Cladun: This is an RPG/Cladun X2 €19,99
Corpse Party €14,99
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness €14,99
Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days €19,99
Dissidia 012[duodecim] €34,99
Fate/Extra Unavailable
Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection €34,99
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of Lions €9,99
Half Minute Hero €14,99 (Currently €7,99 until 14-03-2012)
Knights in the Nightmare Unavailable
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky €34,99
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony €14,99
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite €9,99
Persona 2: Innocent Sin €34,99 (Bundled with P3P for €49,99)
Persona 3 Portable €34,99 (Bundled with P2:IS for €49,99)
Phantom Brave: The Hermuda Triangle €19,99
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords Unavailable
Riviera: The Promised Land €17,99
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together €19,99
Wild Arms XF €17,99
Yggdra Union Unavailable
Ys SEVEN €14,99
Ys: The Oath in Felghana €14,99
Z.H.P. €29,99

COMPATIBLE, BUT NOT LISTED BY SONY

Hexyz Force Unavailable
Jeanne d’Arc Unavailable
Valkyria Chronicles II (without DLC) €34,99 (DLC costs €4,99)

UNTESTED OR GAMES WHICH ARE NOT QUITE WORKING

God Eater Burst €29,99
Gurumin Unavailable
Patapon 3 €26,99
R-Type Command Unavailable
Untold Legends: The Warrior’s Code Unavailable
Ys I & II Chronicles €19,99

Fantastic Kiraly! This is a great help.

Games avaible on EU Store (not listed the ones with the same $ price)

EDIT: fuuuu-

Haha no worries, you helped to fill in the gap for some titles. More importantly, you alerted me to the White Knight Chronicles Origin title, which I (conveniently) forgot about.

I was all up for buying Trails in the Sky, then realised that the UK price is ridiculous, it's $20 in the US which is around £12-£13 and yet the UK has to pay £28 on PSN which is like $44 :/

Hmm? I'd say it's the other way around. The battle system can get kinda tedious (so much that I mostly ran past all encounters which I just possibly could, once I felt that I was starting to get a bit overpowered), but it's the story & characters that really drive the experience forward. It's perhaps not as flashy/cinematic as especially post-SNES FFs, but the quality more than makes up for it.
I really like the personalities of the main characters, but otherwise I thought that the plot, the world and the NPCs were bland and boring.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
TitS is kind of like Grandia. It's all about the adventure and locales.

If you like GameArts stuff (Lunar, Grandia), you'll probably like TitS.

Grimmy

Banned
I was all up for buying Trails in the Sky, then realised that the UK price is ridiculous, it's $20 in the US which is around £12-£13 and yet the UK has to pay £28 on PSN which is like $44 :/

That's because the game just came out recently via another publisher, while in the US it's been out for a while. I think it's commendable that Ghostlight even bothered to localize it for Europe at all.

I really like the personalities of the main characters, but otherwise I thought that the plot, the world and the NPCs were bland and boring.

I think if you played SC you might change your mind.

Famassu

I dunno, it has its cliched moments, but by the end some pretty awesome things happen. And I think part of what makes it more enjoyable is precisely because of the likable characters. If they were really boring, I'm not sure if the story would have as much impact.

Though, for sure, in the end First Chapter is mostly a build-up for the second game, it seems (even though I thoroughly enjoyed it as a standalone experience as well and wouldn't RAGE too much if we never got SC).

Rootbeer

Banned
When games like Brave Story are released on PSN and then subsequently pulled off the store at a later date, those who purchased it when it was available can redownload it after the pull date just like any purchase, right?

Eusis

When games like Brave Story are released on PSN and then subsequently pulled off the store at a later date, those who purchased it when it was available can redownload it after the pull date just like any purchase, right?
So far, yes. Perhaps there's some games that not only can't be sold but can't be PROVIDED again, but I can't think of any such examples, Brave Story at least was still downloadable and it's been almost a year since it was sold on the PSN, and similar goes for Guilty Gear Judgement (no idea when THAT was pulled though).

Rootbeer

Banned
So far, yes. Perhaps there's some games that not only can't be sold but can't be PROVIDED again, but I can't think of any such examples, Brave Story at least was still downloadable and it's been almost a year since it was sold on the PSN, and similar goes for Guilty Gear Judgement (no idea when THAT was pulled though).
Thanks. With games like Brave Story, FF:CC and Birth By Sleep unreachable by Vita, I am going to have to get my hands on an old PSP someday. :/

Famassu

completly forgot about god eater burst

whos gonna take one for the team and test? :)
My Vita is still on its way to me from Amazon (might get it tomorrow or the day after, at earliest). After I get it, I'll check it out if no one else has, since I've already bought it through PSN from some sale or another.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
No Ys games on the Australian PSN :<
Does Silver Star Story still hold up? I've read it has a great story.
Hmm, reading in another thread that the PSP version is the worst version of the game to some.

Makes me sad that I had the UMD versions of many of these. :(

Also, is the US version Phantasy Star Portable 2 playable via PS3 transfer? I was under the impression it didn't work at all.

Grimmy

Banned
Makes me sad that I had the UMD versions of many of these. :(

Also, is the US version Phantasy Star Portable 2 playable via PS3 transfer? I was under the impression it didn't work at all.

See the OP. If it says only EU/UK store, it means it's not available at all in the US, period.

froliq

Oh, euro prices. :(

Makes it hard to double dip since I own them on UMD. Guess I'll look into Half Minute Hero and Cladun soon and hopefully last me untill the PS1 games work on Vita.

Grimmy

Banned
But I already own it on PSN - I bought it on release in 2010. It was taken down some time last year. Guess I'll try it and find out.

Ah, OK then your case is special. As discussed regarding BRAVE STORY, since this is a case of a game having its PSN presence removed, we need someone to try it out to find out if it works or not.

But it's very strange that Sega removed PSP2 from PSN. Why would they do that?

Anyhow, if you can try it via the PS3 and report back, it would be appreciated!

StuBurns

Banned
To touch on the FF1/2 thing, I think the reason they're not on the US store is because the PS1 versions are on there, in the UK we have the PSP ones, but no the PS1 ones.

That site's info is wrong. No way Alexander O. Smith would claim credit for something that's not his own work.
You're probably right, although it's a bit weird that Slattery and the other two names aren't mentioned on Kajiya Productions's website.
*edit* darn you edited! OK then that's fine.
Oh, sorry about that. There were two fields named "translator". I copied the wrong one first.

Of these so far I picked up Persona 3 Portable (Yeah it's expensive but it's also amazing, but 8 hours into it now) TitS (seems nice but the beginning is quite unremarkable so far) The 3rd Birthday (awesome gameplay, and looks amazing) Corpse Party (only played about 20 minutes in, not sure what to think)

I've played them as much if not more as my Vita games

I want Persona 2/Tactics Ogre and maybe an Ys game next. I played Ys IV and loved it, I'm wondering which would be the best next choice?

Are persona games new stories for each game like final fantasy?

Yes, there's some characters that cross over from P1 to P2 but for the most part they're different.
Persona 1 was released for PS1 and then spruced up for a PSP remake (the original localization was terrible) The PSP version itself is pretty archaic though - in terms of design, not for everyone
And then there's Persona 2 itself, which is two separate games, (Eternal Punishment and Innocent Sin) they're like two sides of the same coin - Innocent Sin was only just recently translated to english for the first time (released for PSP), whereas Eternal Punishment was released back in the PS1 days in english

Persona 3 has 3 versions, the original, FES which added to the story, and Portable - which adds a new playable characters and lots of other new content. Personally I recommend Portable the most, it cuts most of the fat away and gets to the good stuff much faster, though takes a knock presentation wise (cutscenes become more visual novel style)

And then there's Persona 4, which is getting a Vita version this year, with added content too

The overall SMT mythology passes between games, and you see the same demons appear and after the P1/P2 PSP remakes the overall theme/style of the games is pretty similar

Can we get some screenshots of Persona 3 on the Vita?
Unfortunately you can't take screenshots for PSP games, they've not added that function yet

Grimmy

Banned
Of these so far I picked up Persona 3 Portable (Yeah it's expensive but it's also amazing, but 8 hours into it now) TitS (seems nice but the beginning is quite unremarkable so far) The 3rd Birthday (awesome gameplay, and looks amazing) Corpse Party (only played about 20 minutes in, not sure what to think)

I want Persona 2/Tactics Ogre and maybe an Ys game next. I played Ys IV and loved it, I'm wondering which would be the best next choice?

Give TiTS some time - the story doesn't kick in until Chapter 3 or so. Then it becomes amazing.

And you played YS IV? As in the PC Engine version? So you haven't played any of the 3 PSP versions yet? If so, start with Ys 7, then Oath in Felghana, the Ys I & II Chronicles.

PaulLFC

Could somebody give me a very quick summary of why Half Minute Hero is so good? It's on sale on PSN, has great reviews and seems to be very highly recommended on GAF, all of this is making me want to buy it.

But from watching a video review, it talked about having different objectives to do in 30 seconds, such as play an RTS, and I'm not sure how that works - a 30 second RTS? I'm sure it does work, otherwise it wouldn't get the reviews it does, but I just need a quick "this is why it's awesome" post.

Grimmy

Banned
Could somebody give me a very quick summary of why Half Minute Hero is so good? It's on sale on PSN, has great reviews and seems to be very highly recommended on GAF, all of this is making me want to buy it.

But from watching a video review, it talked about having different objectives to do in 30 seconds, such as play an RTS, and I'm not sure how that works - a 30 second RTS? I'm sure it does work, otherwise it wouldn't get the reviews it does, but I just need a quick "this is why it's awesome" post.

This is why it's awesome:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/lolcat-gameplay-half-minute-hero/58619

Give TiTS some time - the story doesn't kick in until Chapter 3 or so. Then it becomes amazing.

And you played YS IV? As in the PC Engine version? So you haven't played any of the 3 PSP versions yet? If so, start with Ys 7, then Oath in Felghana, the Ys I & II Chronicles.

Yeah, my PSP broke so I've not touched any of those ones yet. thanks for the recommendation

Yeah I'm gonna play more TitS shortly, figured it was a slow burner

Famassu

I kind of prefer Oath in Felghana over Seven.

Also, keep on playing TitS, it has a slow start, but it gets more interesting as you play it further. The pacing of the game is kinda slow throughout the game, but bigger & more serious things will start to happen the further you are in the story and that kept at least me entertained.

I'm working on tactics ogre currently. Im less than two hours in but it starts quite slowly. Now that I have more than one guy to control it's getting better, but I almost feel like there are too many guys on the field. The battles feel unruly. But I'm hoping it's just because it's early and I get into it more... as I am a JSRPG fan that somehow never played this classic.

TitS is next on my list. And I think from the OP i'll give the Y's game he says is a must play a spin after that.

Gossack

Brit prices, plus I've moved a couple from the unavailable list onto the available on EU SEN/PSN list:

1. RECOMMENDED, SONY-APPROVED FULL VITA COMPATIBILITY TITLES

The 3rd Birthday $19.99/&#8364;19,99/£15.99
Cladun: This is an RPG/Cladun X2 $19.99/&#8364;19,99/£15.99 (Cladun: This is an RPG is $9.99 on Gamestop.com, Cladun X2 is still $19.99)
Corpse Party $19.99/&#8364;14,99/£11.99
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness $14.99/&#8364;14,99/£9.99 ($9.99 on Gamestop.com)
Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days $19.99/&#8364;19,99/£15.99 ($14.99 on Gamestop.com)
Dissidia 012[duodecim] $29.99/&#8364;34,99/£19.99
Fate/Extra $24.99 (Unavailable in EU)
Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection $29.99/&#8364;34,99/$19.99
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of Lions $9.99/&#8364;9,99/£7.99
Half Minute Hero $9.99/&#8364;14,99/£11.99 (Currently &#8364;7,99/£6.49 until 14-03-2012)
Knights in the Nightmare $29.99 (Unavailable in EU)
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky $19.99/&#8364;34,99/£27.99 (Bundled with Persona 2 for £47.99)
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony $14.99/&#8364;14,99/£11.99
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite $19.99/&#8364;9,99/£7.99
Persona 2: Innocent Sin $39.99/&#8364;34,99/£27.99 (Bundled with P3P for &#8364;49,99/£39.99) (Bundled with Trails in the Sky for £47.99)
Persona 3 Portable $39.99/&#8364;34,99/£27.99 (Bundled with P2:IS for &#8364;49,99/£39.99)
Phantom Brave: The Hermuda Triangle $19.99/&#8364;19,99/£15.99 ($9.99 at Gamestop.com)
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords $9.99/£4.79
Riviera: The Promised Land $14.99/&#8364;17,99/£13.99
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together $19.99/&#8364;19,99/£15.99
Wild Arms XF $9.99/&#8364;17,99/£13.99
Yggdra Union $14.99 (Unavailable in EU)
Ys SEVEN $14.99/&#8364;14,99/£11.99
Ys: The Oath in Felghana $14.99/&#8364;14,99/£11.99
Z.H.P. $29.99/&#8364;29,99/£23.99 ($19.99 at Gamestop.com)

COMPATIBLE, BUT NOT LISTED BY SONY

Hexyz Force $29.99 (Unavailable in EU)
Jeanne d&#8217;Arc $22.99 (Unavailable in EU)
Valkyria Chronicles II Bundle with DLC: $22.49 Unbundled: &#8364;34,99/£27.99 (DLC costs &#8364;4,99/£3.99)

UNTESTED OR GAMES WHICH ARE NOT QUITE WORKING

God Eater Burst $19.99/&#8364;29,99/£23.99 (free DLC)
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure $14.99 (Unavailable in EU)
Patapon 3 $19.99/&#8364;26,99/£16.99
R-Type Command $14.99 (Unavailable in EU)
Untold Legends: The Warrior&#8217;s Code $14.99 (Unavailable in EU)
Ys I & II Chronicles $14.99/&#8364;19,99/£15.99

4. GAMES ONLY AVAILABLE ON EU/UK STORES

Breath of Fire III &#8364;9.99/£7.99
Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition &#8364;9.99/£7.99
Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition &#8364;9.99/£7.99
Phantasy Star Portable 2 &#8364;34.99/£19.99
Astonishia Story (£7.99)
Spectral Souls: Resurrection of the Ethereal Empires (£13.99)

6. AVAILABLE 2nd TIER RPGS

Adventures to Go! $14.99 (Unavailable in EU)
Aedis Eclipse: Generation of Chaos $7.99/£13.99 ($5.99 at Gamestop.com)
Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light $7.99 ($5.99 at Gamestop.com) (Unavailable in EU)
Blazing Souls Accelate $34.99 (Unavailable in EU)
Class of Heroes $39.99 (Unavailable in EU)
Crimson Gem Saga $29.99 (Unavailable in EU)
Dragoneer's Aria $9.99/£11.99 ($7.99 at Gamestop.com)
Dungeon Explorer: Warriors of the Ancient Arts $11.99/£8.79
Dungeon Maker: Hunting Ground $9.99 (Unavailable in EU)
The Eye of Judgment: Legends $29.99/£19.99
Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl $14.99 (Unavailable in EU)
Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley $29.99/&#8364;29.99/£23.99 (Currently £11.99 until 14-03-2012)
Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon $14.99/&#8364;12.99/£9.99 (Currently £5.19 until 14-03-2012)
Jikandia: The Timeless Land $24.99 (Unavailable in EU)
Justice League Heroes $9.99 (Unavailable in EU)
Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble $39.99 (Unavailable in EU)
Kingdom of Paradise $16.99 (Unavailable in EU)
Lord of Arcana $19.99/£15.99
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance $9.99/£11.99 ($7.99 at Gamestop.com)
Mimana Iyar Chronicle $34.99 (Unavailable in EU)
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona $39.99/£19.99 (Currently £9.99 until 29-02-2012)
Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade $14.99 (Unavailable in EU)
Valhalla Knights $4.99/£9.99 (Currently £5.19 until 14-03-2012)
Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance $9.99/£11.99 (Currently £6.49 until 14-03-2012)
Warriors of the Lost Empire $5.99 (Unavailable in EU)

7. NOT AVAILABLE AT ALL ON SEN/PSN

Brave Story: New Traveler (XSEED Games)
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (Square Enix)
Dungeon Maker II: The Hidden War (UFO Interactive)
Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony (2K Games)
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (Square Enix)
The Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion (Namco Bandai)
The Legend of Heroes II: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch (Namco Bandai)
The Legend of Heroes III: Song of the Ocean (Namco Bandai)
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (Activision)
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 (Activision)
Metal Gear Ac!d (Konami)
Metal Gear Ac!d 2 (Konami)
Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner (Atlus)
PoPoLoCrois (SCEA)
Star Ocean: First Departure (Square Enix)
Star Ocean: Second Evolution (Square Enix)
Star Ocean(Namco Bandai)
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology (Namco Bandai)
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (Square Enix)
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse (Activision)
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (Konami)

Midou

Pretty peeved at Atlus games being $40 when it's a dumbed down albeit upgraded in other ways PS2 port and slightly enhanced PS1 ports.

StuBurns

Banned
Persona 3 should be much cheaper, Persona 4 is coming, they should be fostering a fanbase on there, not pricing new comers out of the question.

Midou

I fully expect Atlus will drop the prices after the reception they're getting, they seem to listen to their fans

I actually sent in an email through their contact us page about it, I even got a reply that my concerns were going to be forwarded to the appropriate parties, might have been just to shut me up but at least they know to some extent.

Would also jump on FFIV complete had it been like $15 as well, maybe $20 tops. If it wasn't the 30th remake, regardless of new content, I might have bitten at a higher price. So far I just bought Lunar, never did beat any version of it. Wish they would have re-done 2 as well, but I did beat 2 at least.

Top Bottom