• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The *Definitive* PSP RPGs for Vita Thread

nonnocere

This makes me want to buy a Vita soooo baaaad :(
Need to play the Disgaea games, all those FF games, Persona 2, ....

Disgaea games are really fun. I think I have a copy of 2, 3, and 4. I think I even bought a copy of 1 and 2 for PSP. I have never finished one of them.

Midou

Disgaea games are really fun. I think I have a copy of 2, 3, and 4. I think I even bought a copy of 1 and 2 for PSP. I have never finished one of them.

I only really loved the first one, I forced myself through the second and never got too far in the third. I heard 4th was closer to first, so I may check it out one day.

My bad, it's Ys VI (Ark of Napishtim) I've completed, just noticed my typo

Is Felghana closer to VI than Ys VII?
The Oath in Felghana is quite similar to Ark of Napishtim since they both use the same game engine. Seven is a bit different since you control several characters at once and it also contains a lot more dialogue.

Midou

Would be awesome to see Vita get PS2 classics and have a large increase in the number of those. Could make for a cool E3 announcement. I know we still need to get PS1 games on it, so it seems like a dream far off.

krYlon

Would be awesome to see Vita get PS2 classics and have a large increase in the number of those. Could make for a cool E3 announcement. I know we still need to get PS1 games on it, so it seems like a dream far off.

I think Sony said they have no plans to make PS2 titles compatible.
Hopefully we see loads of HD remakes though.

Damn, tempted on 3rd Birthday, missed it when it came out because I didn't have a PSP, but a lot of negative opinions turned me away from it. Now everyone seems to think it's great.

You sir are my new best friend. Ive been arguing for awhile now that this is exactly something that Sony will do. Look at how successful PS1 games on PSN has been and how Sony was able to have them playable on PSP. Then a few months before Vitas launch, they introduce PS2 classics on PSN? Only a matter of time.

And Im sure youve heard that Digital Devil Saga is now up on EU PSN? Imagine playing that on the go on a Vita?

jRPG

Great list. I'm currently going through Lunar on my Vita at the moment and I very much agree with what you've written. It gets a hard time, but it is still an amazing game, and it is by far the most convenient way to get the game in the UK. The colours look much richer on the Vita's screen too.

I'm hoping to get through quite a bit of this list until the first Vita game I want comes out (Gravity Rush). Gutted I missed out on Brave Story before it was pulled from the store though. I'd love to see Square-Enix get around to putting Star Ocean 1 & 2 on as well.

Persona 3 should be much cheaper, Persona 4 is coming, they should be fostering a fanbase on there, not pricing new comers out of the question.

I was going to wait on a price drop on P3 but I gave in last night and finally bought it.

I'm part of the problem.

Great list. I'm currently going through Lunar on my Vita at the moment and I very much agree with what you've written. It gets a hard time, but it is still an amazing game, and it is by far the most convenient way to get the game in the UK. The colours look much richer on the Vita's screen too.

I'm hoping to get through quite a bit of this list until the first Vita game I want comes out (Gravity Rush). Gutted I missed out on Brave Story before it was pulled from the store though. I'd love to see Square-Enix get around to putting Star Ocean 1 & 2 on as well.

And Crisis Core. I actually tweeted them about it and no answer.
Yes that was a nerdy thing for me to do

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
And Crisis Core. I actually tweeted them about it and no answer.
Yes that was a nerdy thing for me to do

All they have to do is take that stupid song out, how much time/money/effort would that require when they'd probably sell loads digitally?

Midou

And Im sure youve heard that Digital Devil Saga is now up on EU PSN? Imagine playing that on the go on a Vita?

It hurts to know that it may never happen, though Sony saying no plans could very well mean they are planning to use it as a big announcement and don't want it to lose impact.

There would honestly be no logical reason not to do it, the PS3 is clearly running those PS2 games purely through software emulation, they should be able to do it for Vita as well. I mean the CPU power difference is there, but I still expect it's more than possible.

Grimmy

Banned
Brit prices, plus I've moved a couple from the unavailable list onto the available on EU SEN/PSN list:

4. GAMES ONLY AVAILABLE ON EU/UK STORES

Breath of Fire III €9.99/£7.99
Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition €9.99/£7.99
Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition €9.99/£7.99
Phantasy Star Portable 2 €34.99/£19.99
Astonishia Story (£7.99)
Spectral Souls: Resurrection of the Ethereal Empires (£13.99)

Thanks a lot! Will start adding. But I'll leave Astonishia and Spectral Souls alone since both are pretty awful..

StuBurns

Banned
All they have to do is take that stupid song out, how much time/money/effort would that require when they'd probably sell loads digitally?
Maybe Type-0 is coming and Sony want them to hold off Crisis Core till that's had room, or maybe they don't care all that much.

Aeana

It hurts to know that it may never happen, though Sony saying no plans could very well mean they are planning to use it as a big announcement and don't want it to lose impact.

There would honestly be no logical reason not to do it, the PS3 is clearly running those PS2 games purely through software emulation, they should be able to do it for Vita as well. I mean the CPU power difference is there, but I still expect it's more than possible.

I dunno, the Vita apparently can't even run an Xbox game at full speed, so I've no hope for PS2 games!

injurai

Banned
I dunno, the Vita apparently can't even run an Xbox game at full speed, so I've no hope for PS2 games!

What? They are build on completely different architecture so If your talking about emulation then duh, It would take a lot of processing power. I also haven't heard of a single Xbox game that has been ported and played on the Vita, but if it was it could be easily tweaked in order to run.

Aeana

What? They are build on completely different architecture so If your talking about emulation then duh, It would take a lot of processing power. I also haven't heard of a single Xbox game that has been ported and played on the Vita, but if it was it could be easily tweaked in order to run.

Okay, it was a joke about Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus being 30 FPS. Calm down.

Fou-Lu

Ninja Gaiden?

Edit: Beaten.

KAL2006

Banned
Ys 7
Ys Oath of Felghana
Legend of Heroes TiTS
Tactics Ogre
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy VIII (PS1)
Grandia (PS1)

These are the games I am planning on playing, tried Tales of Eternia and Lunar before and did not like either game. I have already played the other PS1 Final Fantasy games before, and VIII is the only one I have yet to play. I am quite disappointed that other PS1 Classics are not on the PAL store, such as Suikoden, Chrono Cross and Xenogears.

Durante

I'd really like to buy many of these games, but Sony apparently decided 3 days ago that they no longer want my money. Every time I try to buy something I get an "NP-2244-2" error.

Okay, it was a joke about Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus being 30 FPS. Calm down.
But that's a port of the PS3 version, not the Xbox version. And seemingly a rushed one at that.

Grimmy

Banned
Puzzle Quest is out on UK PSN at least, I downloaded it a couple of days ago.

Can you verify? And do you know the price?

Also, can you help check the UK price of White Knight Chronicles Origin?

Thanks a lot!

Lunar PSP is hounded on by die hard fans who for some inexplicable reason love the original VO of the PS1 version. I thought the original VO was like listening to nails scraping on chalkboards. They cannot act their way out of a paperbag. Granted, the PSP cast is far from stellar, but at least it doesn't want me to physically murder the actors.

And the changes in text are fine. Lunar isn't the Holy Bible.

StuBurns

Banned
Price pretty please?

And I see you're back to your former self.
Puzzle Quest is £4.79 (bargain)
WKC Origins is the princely sum of £21.99, which is practically a hate crime.

As for Newsom, I'm going to see her live twice in two weeks, and I saw someone else with her avatar earlier, I couldn't help myself, even if Person of Interest is entertaining.

EDIT: By the way UKers, FF1 seems to be a pricing error, the series was on sale a month or so back and FF1's price hasn't gone back up, but the rest have. If you care, get it now.

Grimmy

Banned
Yeah, give me a min.

Puzzle Quest is £4.79 (bargain)
WKC Origins is the princely sum of £21.99, which is practically a hate crime.

As for Newsom, I'm going to see her live twice in two weeks, and I saw someone else with her avatar earlier, I couldn't help myself, even if Person of Interest is entertaining.

Muchas gracias!

As for Newsom, I have a ton of respect for her, but it would be a toss-up between her voice and the old PS1 cast of Lunar as to whom I'd rather listen to :p

cj_iwakura

Also, re: Lunar PSP- I'm fine with the writing.

It's the game that's bad. Horrible use of music(it fades in and out at EVERY scene change), pathetically easy combat, and everything from the PS1 version is condensed to non-existent world maps and dungeons, which were already condensed from the Sega CD version originally.

The new voice work sounded fine, too. If you have absolutely no other way to experience Lunar, you could do worse than Harmony.

But I'd say just buy a Sega CD and the original. It'd be cheaper(may vary), and definitely more fun.

Grimmy

Banned
hasn't puzzle quest on psp a gamebreaking bug that makes it impossible to complete it?

Nope. I completed the PSP version no problem.

It's the game that's bad. Horrible use of music(it fades in and out at EVERY scene change), pathetically easy combat, and everything from the PS1 version is condensed to non-existent world maps and dungeons, which were already condensed from the Sega CD version originally.

I forgot about the music fading - that was somewhat annoying. But the new music is excellent so I guess I wasn't as bummed about it. And yeah, the combat was easy, but honestly I don't remember the PS1 version being hard either? And I didn't even notice the lack of a world map for some reason. But I get what you mean.

Theonik

So a pass then? Pity really. Heard many good things about the Sega CD and PS1 versions.

KAL2006

Banned

Played for about 2 hours and quit playing. I love the beautiful 2D graphics, battle animations and effects. But the game is easy, story is boring, characters are generic and cliche, voice acting is terrible, dungeons are a chore. I had the same problem with Tales of Eternia too.

Theonik

The new voice work sounded fine, too. If you have absolutely no other way to experience Lunar, you could do worse than Harmony.

But I'd say just buy a Sega CD and the original. It'd be cheaper(may vary), and definitely more fun.
From a quick look, it goes much higher for any other version considering it never got a European release on anything but PSP.
Edit: Was meant as an edit to my original post, oh well should have mentioned PAL land.
I'd pass. Buy something genuinely original and awesome like Half Minute Hero or Ys Oath in Felghana.
Both of those are on my list YS isn't on the European PS Store yet though.

Grimmy

Banned
Played for about 2 hours and quit playing. I love the beautiful 2D graphics, battle animations and effects. But the game is easy, story is boring, characters are generic and cliche, voice acting is terrible, dungeons are a chore. I had the same problem with Tales of Eternia too.

Then I have a feeling you're gonna not like TiTS much after 2 hours and stop also :p

From a quick look, it goes much higher for any other version considering it never got a European release on anything but PSP.

Look, it's really not as dire as those two are saying. It's a charming, enjoyable game. If you've never played a Lunar there's no reason why you shouldn't pick it up. Here's its 80/100 metacritic score: http://www.metacritic.com/game/psp/lunar-silver-star-harmony (not that I usually base things on metacritic, natch)

Ah, OK then your case is special. As discussed regarding BRAVE STORY, since this is a case of a game having its PSN presence removed, we need someone to try it out to find out if it works or not.

But it's very strange that Sega removed PSP2 from PSN. Why would they do that?

Anyhow, if you can try it via the PS3 and report back, it would be appreciated!

I can confirm that it DOES NOT work with the US version of PSP2. Seems bizarre to me that the Euro version works but the US version doesn't.

Top Bottom