• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez's dev to japanese developers: "your games just suck"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alec

And therein lies the problem of saying Japanese games "suck" or have gone dramatically downhill.

To be fair, Phil was asked specifically about contemporary Japanese games in the context of making indie games. Phil's comment was geared toward big-budget console Japanese games.

It's not melodramatic at all. Did you even read about what happened? Makoto Goto went to the states on his own dime to try and learn a thing or two about indie games. His English is decent but it's far from perfect. It takes balls to even show up at an event like that, completely on your own, without translators, co-workers, etc., and even more courage to muster up a question during Q&A time. And to get a response like that? Seriously? Half of the room is gasping and the other half is laughing awkwardly. Mr. Goto doesn't really know why, but he was most certainly humiliated. I don't care whether it was a joke or not, but "shame" is an appropriate word to use. A little empathy wouldn't hurt.

If you're going to invest your happiness in what some random American guy thinks of the video games from your country you've got bigger issues than being "shamed". But as stated, the guy isn't a massive baby like half this thread and doesn't go around complaining about it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
If you're going to invest your happiness in what some random American guy thinks of the video games from your country you've got bigger issues than being "shamed". But as stated, the guy isn't a massive baby like half this thread and doesn't go around complaining about it.
I don't know how much you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but being shamed is a huge part of it.

Tellaerin

Oh man, how great is that? Who gets the upper hand in that hypothetical? You for denying Phil Fish a buck (which is still literally probably more than he really would earn personally off your one sale), or he for getting you so riled up that you deny yourself such a wonderful experience?

I wouldn't say I'm really riled up over it or anything. It's just that complaining about things that rub me the wrong way then turning around and throwing money at the people responsible anyway would make me feel like a hypocrite. And it's not like I'm really losing out by skipping a game, either. There are already more great games out there now than I'll get through in my lifetime, and new ones are being released all the time.

I think some of the guys in the Fish camp are making more out of this "boycott" than the abstainers are themselves. It's not some Great Crusade Against Phil or something, it's just, "This guy acts like a real douche, so I don't want to give him my money." Maybe he'll get his shit together and my opinion of him will change. Or maybe he'll keep on doing what he's been doing and I'll keep avoiding projects his name's attached to. Either way, it's not like I'm losing much sleep over it.

Game Guru

It's safe to assume he wasn't taking handhelds into consideration.

Final Fantasy was never the biggest RPG franchise. Pokemon has always been the biggest in terms of sales since its debut. While Dragon Quest is the most popular RPG in Japan, it's only popular in Japan. Same with most every other JRPG series save for Pokemon and Final Fantasy, and Pokemon generally averages at over 10 million copies, whereas only Final Fantasy VII reached the 10 million mark.

RM8

Guys, most of the games on your shelves, and movies and other pieces of entertainment, were made by assholes. But I guess ignorance is bliss in that regard.
Professional assholes that don't insult their potential customers just because it's supposed to be funny or something.

Arksy

I wouldn't say I'm really riled up over it or anything. It's just that complaining about things that rub me the wrong way then turning around and throwing money at the people responsible anyway would make me feel like a hypocrite. And it's not like I'm really losing out by skipping a game, either. There are already more great games out there now than I'll get through in my lifetime, and new ones are being released all the time.

I think some of the guys in the Fish camp are making more out of this "boycott" than the abstainers are themselves. It's not some Great Crusade Against Phil or something, it's just, "This guy acts like a real douche, so I don't want to give him my money." Maybe he'll get his shit together and my opinion of him will change. Or maybe he'll keep on doing what he's been doing and I'll keep avoiding projects his name's attached to. Either way, it's not like I'm losing much sleep over it.

This. If I see some good things from the guy I'll definitely reconsider. I kind of want an excuse to reconsider anyway, I hear Fez is really damn good.

matt360

I'm aware that he hasn't reacted like a baby. Unlike Phil Fish, when Mr. Goto is publicly insulted he apparently decides to first, see if there was any truth to the statement, and then do whatever he can to make the situation better. So in a backwards kinda way, Fish actually did him a service. But whenever Phil is insulted publicly, he takes to Twitter telling everyone to suck his dick. Huuuuuuge difference in character there.

But Phil, and anyone who believes that what he did was appropriate, needs a course in how to be a decent human being. I really don't care if people want to support his games or not, but it boggles my mind that some people actually think his response to Mr. Goto's question was appropriate, or funny even. Sure, it's not the worst thing ever and there are much bigger problems in the world, but at the end of the day Phil Fish is still a huge asshole.

IrishNinja

Would've been a sick burn if I had said anything remotely of that sort. Had I been under such a delusion, I would be one of those people asking "why don't they make another Red Faction Guerrilla or Valkyria Chronicles? I bought those games!"

you made some weird point about how individual consumers don't matter, i was reminding you you were one of them.

Oh man, how great is that? Who gets the upper hand in that hypothetical? You for denying Phil Fish a buck (which is still literally probably more than he really would earn personally off your one sale), or he for getting you so riled up that you deny yourself such a wonderful experience?

at this point, it's pretty funny: one side wants to portray the other as valiant white knights, defending the honor of a japanese dev no longer offended.
however, said side also seems to prop up Fish as a voice against perceived online groups/people they don't care for, he's trolling for the good guys etc and clearly only the weaboos are riled up...when the very tweets a few pages back show that this whole mess is clearly still getting to him, and he has no idea how to change that.

Why not?

Its not like buying a game is our default state of mind and that we must be convinced otherwise, the default state for any consumer should be that they must be convinced to buy a game. and since there's no shortage of desirable games to buy the consumer is free to use whatever barometer he please to determine whether he makes a purchase or not, it is therefore up to the seller to minimize reasons for consumer not wanting to buy their games.
I agree.
Take Gunman Clive for instance. I was slightly interested in the game, and when the creator posted on GAF and seemed like a genuinely nice guy, that did nothing but raise my interest. Now I'm just waiting for it to come out on the j-eShop. If that guy pulled a Fish that game would have dropped right off my radar. There are so so many good games I can buy and I'm sitting here with an embarrassing backlog. Why would I buy a game from someone I don't like when I could support an indie developer I do?

CEO

This thread reminded me how I liked Fez and need to complete it, thanks.

Also: https://twitter.com/PHIL_FISH/status/330387980458000384
BJXGHiWCAAA3sop.jpg:large

WHOS THE GUY ON THE LEFT TO RUSSELL BRAND!?

;D

lets not blow the fish out of proportions :D

halfbeast

Banned
Was Fez any good? I mean, in a "fun" way. Not like Braid or Limbo. You know, a "work of art", that you won't play more than once.

it's fun until you try to solve all the "puzzles". some of them require you to mash buttons with your forehead or something...

has a great soundtrack, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom