• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus (PS4) new trailer from TGS

nelo_inc

Magical! This game can't come soon enough, one of my favourites of all time.

My only issue with it is the colour and lightning, looks too yellow.

FelipeMGM

For my liking they've changed how the original game looked too much. SotC seemed to be set in an unidentifiable time of day, not dawn, not dusk, not midday, just some weird otherworldly place. They've tossed this out of the window for some reason. I absolutely do not like anything about how the bridge intro looks like now.

The camera angle is different in the remaster. You can see the big hole to the left in your blue circle.

https://youtu.be/GRnIRjV1-Ow?t=183

Or maybe they've changed the world. Or fuck knows.

oh you are right, its there, I never noticed that. But it does look like they might have changed the position there a lil bit

Kaizer

Banned
I'm incredibly excited for this, as I only started playing SOTC on PS3 about 2 years ago for the first time & never finished it. Happy to wait for this upgrade now!

ghibli99

Are the various colossi moving faster than they did in the original? They seem to be lacking weight/mass in their motion, but it's been about 6 years since I played it on PS2, so it could just be I'm probably remembering things wrong.

Branduil

Yeah, the lighting definitely looks off. It's like they're trying to recreate the hazy glow of the original, but instead of actually designing the lighting that way, they've just used a generic CGI lighting model and added a light-reducing filter to the camera. The whole thing is weirdly dark.

thelastword

Banned
If people are still going on about, then it's a problem. Known in the industry as "audience feedback". One of the most important aspects of creating something.
I watched the trailer and I thought, this looks awesome, better than most games released this gen. Anti Aliasing, textures, lighting and detail is amazing in this remake....and of course the character model...Yet all I'm seeing is people talking about how the game is tainted because textures are not low rez enough, not enough bloom lighting and they want more subdued colors? This is a remake guys at 4K, where everything is being reworked, of course not everything is going to look 1:1 in every scenario, it will look improved with more current gen rendering technology....Soon you will have people asking for the shimmering and instances of 20fps framerate to remain true to nostalgia.....SMH...

IZ1NDl2.png
What they need to improve is AF....16xAF please Bluepoint, that is the only blemish I'm seeing for this 2018 title...W.I.P.

Mexen

I'm a huge fan and I'm really excited for this, but I think SOTC was a game that benefited from the 'murkiness' of SD. Kinda like Resident Evil 4, I just think a lot of the appeal is lost in super crisp resolution and that.

For a long time, I thought the same thing. I would never have thought someone else thought so too.

Eh, I really like the look of the remake. It's different, but I don't think it's worse. I do wonder if they're gonna give Wander that cel-shaded look, though.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This looks great. Glad I don't have the rose-tinted glasses on this time.

leroidys

I'm a huge fan and I'm really excited for this, but I think SOTC was a game that benefited from the 'murkiness' of SD. Kinda like Resident Evil 4, I just think a lot of the appeal is lost in super crisp resolution and that.
Yeah I hear you. The original gave off this smeared oil painting vibe like Sokurov's "Mother and Son".

jett

D-Member
I don't mind the colours but the bridge texture seems off. Sure the PS2 couldn't pull off ridges either side of the bridge but the flat edgless bridge looks alien and perilous to cross. More detail doesn't necessarily add value.

Agreed.

There's something to be said about the original texturing adding some color to the bridge as well. In the original they use splotches of green to simulate in-grown grass and grime. In the remake they forego this but the minimal amount of grass they're using only helps to make the bridge appear kinda bland.

Tyaren

What they need to improve is AF....16xAF please Bluepoint, that is the only blemish I'm seeing for this 2018 title...W.I.P.

And that is already the PS4 Pro version... At least this version of the trailer says it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txSNn0zIltk

Poor anisotropic filtering really is the plague of this console generation. The strangest part, many cross gen games actually had no problem implementing AF on the PS3/Xbox360, but on PS4 and One.

Xenus

If people are still going on about, then it's a problem. Known in the industry as "audience feedback". One of the most important aspects of creating something.

Yes and there also is a problem in audience feedback when an extremely vocal minority take over cause they don't like that thing. It's something that needs balanced and isn't easy to do right otherwise we'd always get a bunch of universally applauded changes out of early access and the like.

Also there is the fact whose to say if Ueda had the chance to make SOTC for the first time on the PS4 some of these things wouldn't have been exactly what he would have done. Only Ueda knows for sure. You can keep the atmosphere without making everything exactly the same as before.

Get this, what if..... dynamic TOD??

Joking aside it IS a little too orange looking at times in some of those scenes but we're still only seeing snippets and not the full dynamic lighting at length

A-yup. I still don't see a point in this.
The original and HD collection versions came out 12 and 6 years ago respectively. There are a ton of people who never had access to either release at the time or don't now. That's more than enough reason for this version's existence. Fans above all should understand that.

Gbraga

Also there is the fact whose to say if Ueda had the chance to make SOTC for the first time on the PS4 some of these things wouldn't have been exactly what he would have done. Only Ueda knows for sure. You can keep the atmosphere without making everything exactly the same as before.

While it's true that only he knows for sure, I think The Last Guardian serves as a pretty good indication. TLG looks like the natural evolution of the aesthetic that Team ICO has been applying to their projects, Shadow of the Colossus Remake just looks different. With the exception of that scene that says "2018", TLG looks closer to SotC than the remake, and that, to me, is the main issue. Not some broken pillars that are now restored or whatever nitpicking people brought up.

These games all shared a sense of atmosphere and place, they all felt like they took place in the same world, and that's because they did!

I'm not against this existing, I'm not asking for it to be cancelled or anything, if you like it, more power to you, but I think it's ok to say I'm not feeling it at all. As it is right now, Yoko Taro's games evoke that Team ICO feel more than this remake, to be honest. His use of color is clearly inspired by Ueda's games, and it shows. Even in vastly different universes, with vastly different character designs and games as a whole, it shows. The fact that I'm not feeling it in a straight up remake... I don't know. I guess I'll pass on this one.

This is like a much better version of the typical "Fan recreates X game on UE4". The content is all high quality, all of the assets look great, but it just feels off. They're always lacking a more cohesive art direction, that gave the original game its aesthetic, and so they fail at capturing the original's soul. Again, this is obviously WAY better than your typical UE4 fan project, but I think the criticism still applies, even if on a much lower scale.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The original and HD collection versions came out 12 and 6 years ago respectively. There are a ton of people who never had access to either release at the time or don't now. That's more than enough reason for this version's existence. Fans above all should understand that.

I guess you're right. Still seems kinda weird for it to be anything more than a simple port, though, considering how many cool untouched PS1/2 stuff Bluepoint could be working on instead.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
This is perfect.
Shame Sony don't support 3D anymore. HD remaster was great in 3D.
Looking forward to SoTC psvr2 remaster.
I know it's a pipe dream, but I wish they'd support 3D with this version too. I have the PS3 remaster, and it makes me sad that this newer version is going to have less features.

NateDog

I hope we get a PS4 theme with this on par with the SoTC dynamic theme for PS3 on the HD collection. It is easily the most beautiful and serene theme I have on PS3 and I never tire of booting it up and seeing it every time.

For my liking they've changed how the original game looked too much. SotC seemed to be set in an unidentifiable time of day, not dawn, not dusk, not midday, just some weird otherworldly place. They've tossed this out of the window for some reason. I absolutely do not like anything about how the bridge intro looks like now.

The camera angle is different in the remaster. You can see the big hole to the left in your blue circle.

https://youtu.be/GRnIRjV1-Ow?t=183

Or maybe they've changed the world. Or fuck knows.

I completely agree. The original had a very unique atmosphere, and the atmosphere was absolutely fundamental to the game's experience resonating. The textures are clearly much improved, but they change the atmosphere which is so very essential to the original. Based on what we've seen, it contributes to making it a more 'real', a more 'pristine', and more ominous/darker environment than what was found in the initial game. This goes at odds with creating the impression that the player characters is trespassing upon an almost 'sacred', much more worn and battered world from the original. The impact of the final much darker area is reflective of the story's development throughout the game and marks a notable shift as the player's own perspective has become altered. The world is 'empty' but its tranquil, other-worldly, full of detail, and gives the impression that it's veiled. The skybox and lighting isn't extremely realistic, it's extremely fitting in enhancing the feeling of the location. The bridge screenshot, the Phalanx shot, and the Gaius shot are the most worrying that they've traded the atmosphere of the original (which really was perfect for the story and setting) for a more vibrant (but occasionally 'gloomier') but seemingly less fitting newer one.

People joke about the chipped column, but the original was littered with small details like that which create a feeling of it being a lived in and detail-rich world. Yes, the remake isn't suddenly terrible because the column has been amended, but it removes some of the richness and world-detail for really no reason. It reminds me greatly of the Halo Anniversary remake. Yes, the new textures and lighting are technically better; they're more detailed and more reflective of the current extent of technology than the original was, but these adjustments can damage the entire tone of certain sections of the game resulting in a worse experience overall (to use the Halo Anniversary as an example, the level where the flood are introduced, and the library, come to mind where the newer textures betray the tone of the original and lead to a much worse experience). Having already played the HD Remaster of the original, I was quite indifferent to it before but happy that some friends would get the chance to play it, but the trailer hasn't inspired confident that they've been faithful to the tone of the original while modernising the experience (which I feel is in contrast to the Crash Bandicoot remake which, for the original at least, really captured the 'truth' of the design of the original while modernising it). EDIT: I should clarify that it's obviously to early to say how accurate the trailers are of course, perhaps the fully released game will be very faithful to the original's tone, but this trailer isn't very reassuring that will/would be the case.

Lynd7

I think the biggest thing that sticks out to me is that the new textures/details don't even try to be close to the original. This needed a touch of the approach the guys that are doing the RE4HD re-texture project.

8byte

Banned
I came back into this thread against my better judgement, only to find people wanting a pixel perfect remaster and questioning the most absurd things.

Really, you think a 3 inch ledge makes a bridge look less perilous? C'mon. I get that some people are purists or whatever, and maybe those folks should just buy a PS2 and a copy of the game, because clearly they don't understand the market, the industry, or consumers.

I came back into this thread against my better judgement, only to find people wanting a pixel perfect remaster and questioning the most absurd things.

Really, you think a 3 inch ledge makes a bridge look less perilous? C'mon. I get that some people are purists or whatever, and maybe those folks should just buy a PS2 and a copy of the game, because clearly they don't understand the market, the industry, or consumers.

If you are going to come back into the thread perhaps you should argue precisely why something is absurd or highlight who and where somebody is asking for a 'pixel perfect remaster' instead of just writing it off. The original was a highly well-regarded game critically which sold well-enough to justify receiving one of the "Greatest Hit" labels on PS2, a HD remaster on PS3, and now a remake on PS4. I think the market spoke loudly and clearly as to the status of the original game, and if you want to argue that a remake of a game that was so well-receiveded in almost every aspect should NOT be faithful to the tone of the original (and changing that tone is a necessity to "understand the market, the industry, or consumers"), when the tone played such a crucial component of its success, by all means I think most of us interested in the thread would be happy to read it.

jett

D-Member

This is a highly beloved, artistically-minded game with a unique aesthetic. For some, the littlest changes are going to stick out

I could mention how it bothers me that Wander's stance is more upright than it was in the original. :p edit: it doesn't bother me a bit, it bother me a lot. Wander's animation in the remake is like a failed attempt at recreating the original.

why-shadow-of-the-colossus-is-brilliant-3.jpg

How would you guys feel if they went with a dynamic day/night cycle?

I would question BluePoint's and whoever else is working on this thing's understand of the material.

Top Bottom