• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter on PS5: Bets on 2020 launch now, PS4 Pro to become "default PS4"

The absolute earliest the console is coming out is 2019. Ain't never releasing in 2018 (which is next year, btw). Honestly, I see it as 50-50 between either 2019 and 2020.

In 3 years PS4 Pro should cost $300, so it makes sense. Whether they keep making slim ps4s depends if they want to push 4k or not I guess.

Neith

Banned
I agree much more with this statement. Sony should not be afraid of the Xbox. They have no reason to be. They can wait another year to get a monster PS5 out. Microsoft following them with slightly more powerful hardware means jack shit.

They are catching people in the PSN spider web like no one's business. And games like Spiderman lol are going to be HUGE on the PS4.

Nevermind the holiday season coming up.

AAK

Death Stranding maybe, but no way LoU2 misses 2019 with the way Naughty Dog works.

TLoU2 will be out well before 2020. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Nov 2018 release...but an early 2019 seems more likely perhaps.

They just finished Lost Legacy. Unless it's a massively scaled down project a game of TLoU2's magnitude needs at least 3 years of full production to finish.

I like my Pro, but frankly every game which is possible on a PS4 Pro is possible on a standard PS4 as well, given they have basically the same CPU and memory solution and are only separated by a befier CPU.

If PS5 offers out-of-the-box BC to PS4 games (w/o any patches) this would be a huge switching trigger for all those who already purchased a huge retail and especially digital PS4 library, including all those PS+ games. It would also kill the "has no gamz" problem at the beginning.

Oh gosh yeah, I certainty didn't mean to undersell that BC idea. I think a PS5 that's fully backwards compatible with just PS4 would be huge. It would definitely convince me to upgrade.

jelly

I was about to say that the PS5 timing depends on the next Xbox platform but then I remembered that the XBX is just launching this year.
Would be crazy if Microsoft launches a new console just 2 years after the XBX just to piss of their hardcore fans.

They didn't feel bad about the original Xbox going to 360.

I think they know cross gen will be more easy than before so you might get 4 years out of Scorpio with current games albeit, less fidelity and the S creaking along. With full BC which I expect from both, publishers will feel confident to build for two gens initially more than ever before but still a cut off like always.

Stygr

Banned
My Predicition

- Late 2019 like PS4 or Early 2020 like PS3 in EU
- Death Stranding or The Last of us 2 as a launch title
- x86 architecture, full BC with PS4
- REAL 4K hopefully
- Price? 500-600€ 1 TB at launch.

Neith

Banned
They'll go when they have volume 7nm.

Exactly my idea here. Anything else is fucking stupid at this point unless they have some kind of upgrade plan that would work.

But if they can do 7nm by 2019 that might be their ticket I guess. IDK though as Nvidia seems like they are not doing their next cards until late 2018.

2020 would allow Sony to get the absolute best tech in there.

kennyamr

Feb 2019 - PS5 announcement

E3 2019 - PS5 official reveal / main presentation

Holidays 2019 - PS5 North American + European + other Western territories release date

Sony will probably keep releasing new consoles every 6 years with revision models in between.

Where are those AMD roadmaps again? I feel like there was a really good explanation as to when PS5 *should* come and it had a lot to do with when certain tech milestones can be reached.

FTF

Have more than 30 people been working on TLoU2 outside of the last month.

They just finished Lost Legacy. Unless it's a massively scaled down project a game of TLoU2's magnitude needs at least 3 years of full production to finish.

hmmm, I guess I assumed it's been in production since a little before the teaser trailer last year and they had two teams (one on that and one on LL). If they indeed only work on one project at a time, I guess we are looking at a late 2019 or early 2020 release then unfortunately :/

I can see them doing what they did at the beginning of this gen where some games came out on ps3 and ps4. But that will only last a couple years and I'm willing to bet that those games will be on regular ps4 as well. No way games are designed for ps4 Pro. Games will either target ps5 or ps4, nothing will be exclusive to ps4 Pro and ps5.

cakely

why is that utter bullshit?

at some point certain newer games are going to have the minimum baseline specs increased if they really are going to adopt the cell phone model for upgrades.

PS4 games will be designed to run on the baseline PS4 through the current generation. The PS4P makes up a tiny fraction of the ~60 million PS4s that have been sold.

I can see them pushing out the PS5 on the 25th anniversary of the PS1 in the west

September 1995 - September 2020

They could really make that a huge campaign

RedAssedApe

Banned
PS4 games will be designed to run on the baseline PS4 through the current generation. The PS4P makes up a tiny fraction of the ~60 million PS4s that have been sold.

and? that doesn't really change them pushing the PS4P sku as the primary one they try and sell to consumers after some point.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
2020 is kind of a ‘no shit Sherlock’ answer but yeah. I guess Xmas 2019 is possible too, absolutely no earlier than that tho.

Dabanton

Pro becoming default? As much as I'd love that, normal PS4 owners would rage.

My only concern is that Sony doesn't wait too long. late 2020 seems just about right.

Although I imagine one concern for them is how to handle 'price sensitive' people who want top of the line power and graphics for cheap prices. Somethings got to give and I think the machine for the power we'll get will be considerably more pricey than usual.

Death Stranding and LoU2 to have a simultaneous PS4-PS5 launch.

iCt8tlb.gif

cakely

and? that doesn't really change them pushing the PS4P sku as the primary one they try and sell to consumers after some point.

I'm only arguing that all the software will still be developed with the base PS4 in mind and not the PS4P.

I suppose it would be possible that the PS4P might be the main SKU a year into the future but they'd need to get the price down to $300 for that to happen. The majority of buyers will always go for the cheapest option available.

B.O.O.M

PlayStation Meeting in February 2019
E3 2019 full-reveal
Launch November 2019.

Prediction:

No change in platform sales strategy from current-gen.

PS5 will be PS5. The base model for a new gen... just as PS4 was.

PS4 and PS4 Pro will continue to be sold even with PS5's release... just as PS3 was.

3-4 years into PS5 generation will introduce mid-gen upgrade, PS5 Pro. Same as PS4 Pro, there will be no exclusives and is merely a more powerful version of the base new-gen console.

Pro devices will never be default.

Agree with both

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm only arguing that all the software will still be developed with the base PS4 in mind and not the PS4P.

I suppose it would be possible that the PS4P might be the main SKU a year into the future but they'd need to get the price down to $300 for that to happen. The majority of buyers will always go for the cheapest option available.

Sure. i don't disagree with that point. As long as there is no ps5 they'll need to support ps4 as the baseline system. Same with Xbox One.

I wonder how many Pros make up the total sales of all PS4 sold?

you could probably make an estimate based on the 20% figure they throw around if you can figure out how many ps4s in total have been sold since the launch of the pro.

jdstorm

Banned
I'm still sticking with my 2019 and people will be disapointed with the specs prediction.

Ultimately Sony found good success releasing the PS4Pro at a higher pricepoint while still selling the PS4. With Sony looking to extend their stranglehold on the industry it makes more sense to release a device with digital backwards compatibility at a higher pricepoint when sales are still good and to prevent any decline, then wait until consumers are ready to change ecosystems.

Some Nobody

I've had my bet on 2020 for a bit now. The One X helped me confirm that. If Sony wants a $400 system they'll struggle to make one if they try too soon before then. It'll either hit $500 or be not a big jump from the One X, which by then will be $349 or so.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Prediction:

No change in platform sales strategy from current-gen.

PS5 will be PS5. The base model for a new gen... just as PS4 was.

PS4 and PS4 Pro will continue to be sold even with PS5's release... just as PS3 was.

3-4 years into PS5 generation will introduce mid-gen upgrade, PS5 Pro. Same as PS4 Pro, there will be no exclusives and is merely a more powerful version of the base new-gen console.

Pro devices will never be default.

This is what will happen.

Until the Pro can be manufactured cheaper than the Slim it will become the main SKU and by the time this could potentially happen, both will be phased out by the PS5.

I think PS5 will launch either 2019 or 2020 depending on whether Xbx catches on which I think it won't, otherwise no reason not to ride out this gen, cashing in the profits.
I think PS4 is going to be with us for quite a long time still. Hardware improvements are getting harder and more expensive to accomplish with the death of Moore's Law. AAA videogames (The ones that create demand for more powerful hardware) are getting more and more bloated with ever increasing budgets and an unsustainable work culture that is driving engineers away to other fields. We have reached a point where current consoles can run most conceivable videogames outside of super-complex simulations that wouldn't be that fun to play. (And very expensive to create)

In such a context, why not keep a console that can provide access to base versions of games for people with little money, and make a PS5 with a powerful CPU for high framerate and pretty graphics versions of the same games?

THE:MILKMAN

I wonder if it feasible Sony (and MS) could opt to use 12nm that TSMC are using for Nvidia?

I think it would be cheaper to make and be nice and mature by 2019 and if they do aim to have a PS5 Pro then 7nm EUV will then be much more viable in 2022.

Top Bottom