• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Path of Fire |OT| Mount and Shining Blade

Don't do this. I'm 60 hours into D:OS2 and no where near done, and it's gonna go on the back burner for PoF, lol.

It is too late :( I was planning on buying it but I didn't have the time to play it this week at all. Plus it'll bridge the gap between now, bed time, and noon tomorrow.

SourBear

Banned
It is too late :( I was planning on buying it but I didn't have the time to play it this week at all. Plus it'll bridge the gap between now, bed time, and noon tomorrow.

Oh yea.. it will bridge it alright. In that you will look up from the game 5 minutes from now and will be 12 hours past PoF launch. Good luck sir and/or madam.

Oh yea.. it will bridge it alright. In that you will look up from the game 5 minutes from now and will be 12 hours past PoF launch. Good luck sir and/or madam.

The only game I've ever done that with was WipEout HD for some reason. I was totally engrossed in high definition and motion blur. I decided to stop playing it because it was getting dark outside...it was getting light outside.Played it for 18 hours straight.

But! My Thief is ready except for dyes, I have a Tenebrous Rifle, I need some sand sniper dyes, likely some dark and light browns.

And my Elementalist is still in exotics, but has an ascended dagger to go with a sword.

I have two ascended weapons so I can immediately have a sword and a rifle, unless the PoF free ascended weapons don't take months :^)

Indignate

For those looking at that image and saying that PoF isn't adding much, do know that some of the stuff on that graph is misleading. For instance, the first raid wasn't released until a month later, and the next two released over the next year along with the aerodrome, they did not come release date with HoT. Legendary armor collection was added, but the armor itself wasn't available until this last May, about a year and a half after HoT.

Anet has also moved towards releasing things as they are finished (and not promising things that may be way off), rather than holding them to make specific releases look bigger.

Taffer

SqZlt1I.gif

I love these mount animations.

Freeman76

i have a feeling they are going to sort the mystic coin and t6 prices with this expansion so i listed all of mine on the tp. Should push me over 10k gold ready for PoF

i have a feeling they are going to sort the mystic coin and t6 prices with this expansion so i listed all of mine on the tp. Should push me over 10k gold ready for PoF

It's quite a predicament right now. I was tempted to do the same, but historically it seems like prices might actually spike immediately post-expansion before settling down. As of now I think I'm going to hold off a bit.

Personally I've been trying to buy up stuff that seems especially worthless/cheap. I haven't gone crazy with it or anything, but it's hard to believe a lot of currently worthless materials won't have sinks added.

Can't wait for release tomorrow, going to be so much fun exploring all the new territory and specializations. Just a few more things I want to finish up in pre-POF content tonight...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, mounts = no more mandatory 25% movement speed trait/rune/signet, and guardians can move fast like everyone else now!

If they add mounts to WvW do these type of skills have any purpose anymore?

I'm not sure if they will add mounts to WvW anytime soon.

If they do, some skills will still be important. Blink for example is much needed in combat mobility and a stunbreak for mesmers. PvP thieves are still going to run Shadowstep, especially Deadeyes who otherwise have limited mobility compared to Daredevils. They still have a lot of importance as both stunbreak and in combat mobility.

In PvE a lot of these abilities were only used out of combat so you'll see much less of them going forward.

Ashodin

I can go back through LWS3 maps and explore WAY better with mounts.

and going through Silverwastes / Dry Top is going to be so weird

Ashodin

I just caught up on LWS3, finished One Path Ends. Now I can explore to my heart's content and I'm ready for POF!

Ashodin

I think of all the boss fights I've done, I liked One Path Ends, Flashpoint, and some others. The ones where you have to figure out how to deal with the boss besides just DPS the hell out of it are more fun to me.

I think of all the boss fights I've done, I liked One Path Ends, Flashpoint, and some others. The ones where you have to figure out how to deal with the boss besides just DPS the hell out of it are more fun to me.

Head of the Snake finale is my favorite story mission they've ever added. That said, One Path Ends final boss is my favorite LWS3 boss. That said, the two fights against Shadow of the Dragon in LWS2 are better than any of the LWS3 bosses. That said, raiding is the best PvE content by a huge margin and some of the best MMO PVE I've ever played. Period. He's the Deimos with the most.

Ashodin

Head of the Snake finale is my favorite story mission they've ever added. That said, One Path Ends final boss is my favorite LWS3 boss. That said, the two fights against Shadow of the Dragon in LWS2 are better than any of the LWS3 bosses. That said, raiding is the best PvE content by a huge margin and some of the best MMO PVE I've ever played. Period. He's the Deimos with the most.

We'll be doing Raiding on Oct 1st. Bastion of the Penitent! Sign up in the discord if you wanna go.

Oh God Guild Wars 2, what happened to you?!? Mounts...Trinity...Raids...
"We do not want to build the same MMO everyone else is building"
Ree Soesbee
Game Designer

ArenaNet's MMO Manifesto
Looks like now Guild Wars 2 does want to be Yet Another MMORPG. The problem with the game was that it never lived up to its original manifesto. In contrast to that manifesto, the world hardly ever changed and you still grinded content, especially at higher levels.

Ree Soesbee
Game Designer

ArenaNet's MMO Manifesto
Looks like now Guild Wars 2 does want to be Yet Another MMORPG. The problem with the game was that it never lived up to its original manifesto. In contrast to that manifesto, the world hardly ever changed and you still grinded content, especially at higher levels.

Mounts and raids are radically different beasts (HA) than typical MMORPGs. Mounts are more important for their unique terrain traversal than their movement speed increase. And raids are literally the best thing that they've ever added in GW2.

Explorable mode dungeons were meant to be challenging instanced group content. It's just they failed at that and they were laughably easy. Raids are vanilla dungeons done right. The only thing they reversed on was 5 man content only as raids are 10 man.

Ashodin

Ree Soesbee
Game Designer

ArenaNet's MMO Manifesto

Except it's not the same. The "trinity" isn't really the trinity. You don't "permanently spec" for tanking, it's not a hardline thing you do as a character. Specs are still mutable like water.

Massicot

To try to add onto it without coming across like a shill, the trinity isn't a hard "queue 2 tanks, 2 heals, X DPS" with strict class->role assignments. Just that the game is currently balanced such that the "best" comps involve people specing their classes into the general categories of "Dps" "Support" or "healing".

(They used to use the word "Control" but I'm not sure that really fits anymore or if it's really used anywhere officially or unofficially.)

For instance, my Fractal (5 man content) group tries to make sure we run with a Support chronomancer, 2 people specced for DPS (can be a whole lot of different classes), a healer/support druid, and a power share Berserker, which does DPS and Support in the terms of sharing might. See how I'm already having to combine and muddy the lines just to describe the five man comp? It's very much a "soft trinity", even as PR-y as that might sound.

Mounts and raids are radically different beasts (HA) than typical MMORPGs. Mounts are more important for their unique terrain traversal than their movement speed increase. And raids are literally the best thing that they've ever added in GW2.

Explorable mode dungeons were meant to be challenging instanced group content. It's just they failed at that and they were laughably easy. Raids are vanilla dungeons done right. The only thing they reversed on was 5 man content only as raids are 10 man.

Mounts are just like other mounts in games. They reduce travel time and trivialize the surface content. All Guild Wars 2 is doing is making travel more annoying/impossible in the new zones so that mounts are desired/required. It's a gating mechanism.

As for raids and the trinity, GW2 is going against their initial designs by locking you into roles for that content. No doubt there are people who like that type of gameplay, but that was not the game's original intent. Instead of being something different, GW2 is moving more towards the typical MMORPG design. That is my criticism.

TheYanger

Mounts are just like other mounts in games. They reduce travel time and trivialize the surface content. All Guild Wars 2 is doing is making travel more annoying/impossible in the new zones so that mounts are desired/required. It's a gating mechanism.

As for raids and the trinity, GW2 is going against their initial designs by locking you into roles for that content. No doubt there are people who like that type of gameplay, but that was not the game's original intent. Instead of being something different, GW2 is moving more towards the typical MMORPG design. That is my criticism.

I mean, damned if they do damned if they don't? The gating of gliding/mounts is not something I enjoy, I thought it sucked in HoT and I don't like the idea here either, but to criticize them for actively trying to fix the biggest issue with pve in the game at launch is a bit unfair. Just because it's 'like' other games doesn't make that bad, that's like saying you shouldn't add jump to your platformer because every other platformer lets you jump. The dungeon and group content in GW2 prior to them finally relenting on the trinity was the hottest garbage PvE content that has existed in an MMO in decades.

"All items in Metroid are just like items in Zelda. They reduce travel time and trivialize the surface content. All Metroid is doing is making travel more annoying/impossible in the new game so that items are desired/required. It's a gating mechanism."

Literally all video games are obstacles with solutions. Alllllll of them.

Sorry but this comment is just kind of silly. They added mounts as a feature and made sure that they are all mechanically varied and interesting an made the content going forward compliment them. That's literally the exact opposite of a problem. It's not like flying mounts in WoW where once you unlocked flying you straight up skipped content and ignored all terrain.

That's not to crap on WoW as Vanilla-WotLK was my jam, but I think even they realized after a certain point that flying mounts were a mistake.

Dizzy-4U

I hope there is a preload soon. With my very slow internet it will take me a while to download. I don't want to miss the launch.

I mean, damned if they do damned if they don't? The gating of gliding/mounts is not something I enjoy, I thought it sucked in HoT and I don't like the idea here either, but to criticize them for actively trying to fix the biggest issue with pve in the game at launch is a bit unfair. Just because it's 'like' other games doesn't make that bad, that's like saying you shouldn't add jump to your platformer because every other platformer lets you jump. The dungeon and group content in GW2 prior to them finally relenting on the trinity was the hottest garbage PvE content that has existed in an MMO in decades.

I found a spider in my house. Guess I should burn it down to solve the problem. Just because you have a problem, that doesn't mean any solution is desirable. Just admit it. GW2 is becoming like every other MMORPG. You seem to like that, but as I keep saying, it is contrary to the original designs of the game. Look at that manifesto video again and tell me it is consistent with the new direction of the game.

MartyStu

Ree Soesbee
Game Designer

ArenaNet's MMO Manifesto

What happened is that they set out to do something unique, failed and realized that their attempt at disruption was not good enough, and then proceeded to fall back on established design principles without completely betraying their original intent.

All things considered, I think they are doing a fairly good job.

-Raids: are not quite like raids in other games. The bullshit gating and artificial gear checks are not here. Some classes require some specialized gear, but there is usually more than one way to get those.

-Trinity: before High Level Fractals and Raids, DPS was really the only role. Sure you had some buffbots, but at the end of the day, the meta required you glass cannon the hell out of whatever the content is. It was bad. This is better, not ideal, but better. The only thing that really needs to change is the overreliance on alacrity and druids being the only real healers.

-Mounts: we do not know what the content for them looks like, but as long as they do not fly, the only possible issues with them are logistical in nature.

I found a spider in my house. Guess I should burn it down to solve the problem. Just because you have a problem, that doesn't mean any solution is desirable. Just admit it. GW2 is becoming like every other MMORPG. You seem to like that, but as I keep saying, it is contrary to the original designs of the game. Look at that manifesto video again and tell me it is consistent with the new direction of the game.

Except they did not burn the house?

Also, the manifesto was a failure pretty much out of the gate.

aett

Okay, this has made me want to mess around with GW2 for the first time since early 2015. I just have no idea what class I would like.

SledGod

In practice, the game still feels way different from any other MMO out there, even with raids. I really doubt mounts are going to change that.

Aim_Ed

Great OT.

Think I'm going into this with my soulbeast, and probably scourge soon after. I made sure not to stock up on too many hero points, I kinda missed the sense of progression completely during the Hot elite specs. I wanna learn as I go.

As for boosters, I'll probably use birthday boosts, fireworks, and whatever my guild has.

MartyStu

I'm not sure if they will add mounts to WvW anytime soon.

If they do, some skills will still be important. Blink for example is much needed in combat mobility and a stunbreak for mesmers. PvP thieves are still going to run Shadowstep, especially Deadeyes who otherwise have limited mobility compared to Daredevils. They still have a lot of importance as both stunbreak and in combat mobility.

In PvE a lot of these abilities were only used out of combat so you'll see much less of them going forward.

Rocket Boots has been glued to my Engineer's bar since the ammo change. I can finally ditch it in PvE.

GW2 mounts are the smoothest mounts I've ever mounted.

No cast time and they even have a dismount attack so you don't have to wait to get off before attacking.

Also I probably won't be doing the PoF stuff for a while since I'm just starting Chapter 3 of Living World Season 3.

I do have a question about them however, if you start another chapter while in the middle of another one do you lose all progress for that chapter?

Looking forward to messing around in Elona tomorrow! Most excited for Deadeye, Firebrand, and Holosmith, but will probably still be goofing around on my Chronomancer. GAF Guild planning on exploring the new zones together when this drops?

I don't think they've gone against their manifesto all that much at all. They've said that they don't just want a game where you get a quest to kill 10 X and then you kill 10 X and you're done. They wanted a more complex and dynamic open world game play. Which they have achieved on. Did they perfectly meet the lofty goals laid out in the videos? No. But between the various small scale events and the larger scale events that are always happening in the world the world itself is much busier and has more going than most other MMORPGs.

They never said "No mounts" or "No Instanced group content." They said they wanted to look at other MMORPGs and see how they can do it in their own way that's new and excited. Raids definitely meet that. We'll see how mounts play out but having played the demo I think it was done excellently and among people who played the demo there is overwhelming love for exactly how Arenanet implemented mounts.

Arena Net have said they didn't want a gear treadmill. There isn't a gear treadmill. Exotics will get you through almost any content, including raids. Ascended gear is more difficult to get and overall a 5% improvement, but once you get that you're gone upgrading your gear unless you want to try new stat combinations and builds. They will never add a new raid where suddenly there is a tier of gear more powerful than ascended gear.

Raids are wildly different from Raids in other games, not just because there is no gear treadmill but they are extremely tight, focused and challenging experiences. All killer, no filler. And there's no gear progression in them because they is no gear treadmill. They execute on their goal of challenging instanced group content far better than their original implementation of dungeons did. They also have more involved story than raids in other games. I seriously haven't enjoyed anything in this game as much as raids since maybe Liadri and the Queen's Gauntlet. It's great and the game is better for having them.

Some stuff they have gone back on. You need dedicated support healers to get through raids. Raids are 10 man content when they said they only wanted 5 man instances. But other stuff like Fractals are high end content that can be challenging but don't need support or builds pushed to the limit like with Raids and are still 5 man. They've stopped bulldozing and replacing original areas of the game for the sake of creating a "living world." (Which personally I'm glad they've stopped. I'm still upset about losing Old Lion's Arch and Kessex Hills, as is developing content and removing it forever after 2 weeks.) Guild Wars 2's biggest problem for years has been it's lack of direction and focus in terms of how they're updating and expanding the game. And they finally have a handle on this and know exactly what they're doing and where they're going. The past year as been the best year the game has seen in terms of updates. I'm not trying to be a hype man for the game. I've been perfectly happy to walk away from the game for months or even years at a time. This past year has really been great. No content droughts. New permanent content frequently. Dropping a big expansion and following it up with the same kind of support is going to be incredible.

Guild Wars 2 is in a better place as a game, with more diverse builds and content streams than ever before in both PvE and PvP than it has ever been. Period.

Kalentan

I assume this is our general OT from now on? Like on the HoT OT became the norm?

If so...

Designed my second warrior today and then used the makeover kit to further customize.

Damn, I really like how it came out... Sadly since she requires all Vipers she will have to fall to the backburner for a while until I can get it or if one of the new PoF sets take over Viper (I think it's called Greavers? Testing will be done.)

Top Bottom