• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanille

Definitely hope they tone down the bloom a bit. It's like Twilight Princess redux. I don't know where Aonuma got the idea that bloom = next gen.

This is Windwaker's chance at obtaining near perfection. All they need to do is add the extra dungeons and it will complement the graphical upgrades perfectly.

Shion

Seriously, if Nintendo doesn't plan to improve upon the original release by adding new dungeons, side-quests, locations and NPCs, this is going to be the biggest wasted opportunity in the history of the medium.

Wind Waker always looked amazing anyway.

It was the lack of content and the Triforce fetch-quest that did all the damage.

zoukka

Hey, at least it doesn't use the awful depth of field filter present in the Gamecube version. I love me some depth of field but not when it's rendered at such a low precision. It really gummed up an otherwise gorgeous game.

It was perfectly fine back then on regular SDTV's.

I hope they fix the tedious sailing.

You mean the best part in the game :|

I'm not really feeling the change in art styles (it is pretty amazing how a small change can impact the entire visual look), but if they are going back to implement the stuff that they had to cut out originally, then there's no way I won't get it.

At least it will still animate well; it's crazy that it's been 10 years, and very few games have even come close to what they achieved on the Gamecube with this game.

I agree. The cel-shaded look is superior. All they needed to do was up polygon counts on the characters and smooth the environmental objects, not this generic "next-gen" lighting.

Also I doubt they'll remove content because of the storyline. Additional features will be tacked on most likely like the Four Sword dungeon in the GBA remake of aLttP.

The story could fit a dungeon before the Tower of the Gods.
Though I'll be happy if they left it all as is.

brerwolfe

It seems obvious, but do you think they'd make Tingle accessible through the gamepad since we don't have GBA's lying around anymore?

Seriously, if Nintendo doesn't plan to improve upon the original release by adding new dungeons, side-quests, locations and NPCs, this is going to be the biggest wasted opportunity in the history of the medium.

Wind Waker always looked amazing anyway.

It was the lack of content and the Triforce fetch-quest that did all the damage.

Eh, I'd rather they focused on their new game. They had their shot with Wind Waker.

LosDaddie

Banned
Pass

I loved Wind Waker on GCN, but have no desire to play it again. I put in over 40hrs into the game back then, doing everything possible (I use guides for Zelda games. No shame here).

I want a new Zelda game, not an HD re-release. Looks great, though.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Please fix the triforce fetch quest and add the missing dungeons.

It seems obvious, but do you think they'd make Tingle accessible through the gamepad since we don't have GBA's lying around anymore?
:O

dani_dc

you mean the mechanics of the sailing or the moving around the map? moving around the map was pretty exciting to me--every square had something interesting and the warp song made it super easy to get around.

i agree the actual mechanic of sailing could be better executed though. i didn't find it boring really, i should say.

I personally found both underwhelming, moving around the map lost it's appeal as soon as I realized that every square had only one thing of interest, and for the most part those things ended up being small islands with treasure chests, and then nothing but ocean until the next square. It became too predictable, I find something like Skies of Arcadia to have been far more appealing to explore (well, ignoring the constantrandom battles anyway).

The sailing mechanic itself left a lot to be desired, there was big intervals of time where the game didn't require player input, and doing anything (be it shooting or even just changing direction) forced the player to stop sailing to do so.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Hmm. After considering the shots for a while and going back and forth between Dolphin shots of Wind Waker, I'm fine with the style experiment. Not the same look, but not offensive to me.

Mainly, I want to know if the endgame with tri-force hunt is removed / replaced with cut content. Aonuma always admitted straight out that the tri-force hunt was a flaw in the game.

mantidor

What's weird about that comparison? You say Wind Waker HD, and the dolphin emulation is the first logical thing you think of.
I think it ruins the cartoony effect and actually looks shitty, but that's another story.. point being, the comparison is sound.

I just think comparing to dolphin is ludicrous, the Wii U cannot pull out those graphics, Dolphin is quite taxing.

It seems people are getting way too spoiled about dolphin, as someone already mentioned this was an experiment of them putting ww in HD with Wii U hardware and that was the result, I think it looks great, but I have to see it in motion too.

I honestly never thought they would do this.

Wow. Totally did not expect that announcement.

I can not believe this is actually happening.
Sony has huge success releasing HD remasters of PS2 games.

Nintendo makes their first HD console.

Nintendo love making money.

You did not expect this to happen?

This is the first of many. They're just getting started.

Meier

For me, this is the best possible news they could have announced... I'm sure they'll make us wait until 2014 though. :( I've always maintained that Wind Waker has the best graphics of any game due to my love of the art style.. the OP looks glorious. I'm thrilled.

:O

Come on guy.

Ain't nobody gonna see this shit. Go Big.

Please fix the triforce fetch quest and add the missing dungeons!

The Boat

I don't think it's safe to expect a big change in content. Adding dungeons, NPCs and quests in remakes never works out very well for a reason, they weren't intended to be there in the first place. They don't belong int the world or the structure laid out for the original game. At best they might include some optional dungeon or quest line but I don't expect great things there. Talk abou cut dungeons is silly, the concepts they cut were probably used in SS and TP if they were worthwhile.

What they should change easily is the difficul level. More damage, less hearts, more resistant enemies and there you go.

Heartfyre

Despite all the issues many have had with Wind Waker, it has always been my favourite 3D Zelda on the virtues of its atmosphere and charm. I simply enjoyed playing it more than many of the others, so this announcement has had me hyperventilating for the past half hour.

Saw a comment elsewhere saying that they could use a Wiimote as the Wind Waker, which struck me as a marvellously elegant idea.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Was just about to buy a Gamecube memory card to play through Wind Waker the first time. I got a couple dungeons in before, but just stopped. Now I can wait for the best experience.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It was perfectly fine back then on regular SDTV's.

You mean the best part in the game :|
It wasn't really, though. Dithering lines and pixelation were quite obvious on my Tritron display using GC component cables.

If you really think the sailing was the best part of the game perhaps you're playing the wrong game? I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it, but man, it actually hurt my enjoyment of the game. The fact that you had to open and close menus to change the direction of the wind also got on my nerves. I hated it.

I'm sure they won't change it, though, so you'll be fine.

Ragus

Banned
Come on guy.

Ain't nobody gonna see this shit. Go Big.

Please fix the triforce fetch quest and add the missing dungeons!

Fucking this.

Needs more dungeons. If they expand the game, that would be wonderful. Wind Waker is fantastic as it is, but I always thought it needed another long dungeon.

Jarsonot

I don't think these visuals are finalized - we didn't see any actual gameplay. I think it may be a bit premature to judge it on the coloring and bloom.

You guys are making my head hurt.

There's not a singular way of "cel-shading" anything. JGR isn't more cel-shaded than WW isn't more cel-shaded than WWHD.

Come on now. It doesn't really matter if it actually is or isn't cell shaded. The point I'm making is that the style doesn't look as good without the flat color look that JGR had.

I hope it isn't final because it just looks off. Either way, I'm sure it will look nice in motion.

1-D_FTW

Hey, at least it doesn't use the awful depth of field filter present in the Gamecube version. I love me some depth of field but not when it's rendered at such a low precision. It really gummed up an otherwise gorgeous game.

OMG. I literally had to unplug my component cables and switch to composite cables for this game. Anytime you went outside and that awful DoF kicked in, I quickly got a headache. It was so screwed up, I was getting the "getting a headache because you need glasses." Only by making everything fuzzy with composite cables could I play without physical discomfort.

Dungeons kept everything clear with component cables, but outdoors was a horrid mess with sharp up-close and blurry in the distance.

EDIT: To be fair, when I later purchased a VGA box, the effect actually worked on a computer monitor. But on my CRT with components, it was a absolute disaster for the eyes.

Rezbit

Sony has huge success releasing HD remasters of PS2 games.

Nintendo makes their first HD console.

Nintendo love making money.

You did not expect this to happen?

This is the first of many. They're just getting started.

Metroid Prime Trilogy HD *drool*

H3xum

Anyone else find it curious that they're doing WW before MM?

Perhaps MM is coming to the 3DS instead of U, if at all

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OMG. I literally had to unplug my component cables and switch to composite cables for this game. Anytime you went outside and that awful DoF kicked in, I quickly got a headache. It was so screwed up, I was getting the "getting a headache because you need glasses. Only by making everything fuzzy with composite cables could I play without physical discomfort.

Dungeons kept everything clear with component cables, but outdoors was a horrid mess with sharp up-close and blurry in the distance.
Well, if you dropped it to 480i it wasn't too bad over component. In 480p mode, though, it was too sharp for its own good and revealed all sorts of rendering flaws. :\ 16-bit color was too common on Gamecube and Wii, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom