• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| D.Brine collects his P45

I'll go ahead and be selfish and say that I'll be ok with a neutered Pac if I get to see him on TV on a semi-weekly basis. Much like Punk & Bryan, I wish they were used more like their time in the indies, but I'll take what I can get.

That being said, I expect he'd get stuck in developmental forever, so I'll just never see him again.

Either way, I'll always have the memory of patting him on the shoulder just before I abandoned him to get splashed on by AR Fox.

At the show in New York last year I could have blocked Ricochet as he flipped over my booth and hit Pac. I stood by and did nothing but cheer hysterically.

I think I'm really loving Brock Lesnar's gimmick of: "Hey I'm a real fighter that kills things, fuck you!" *Crowd Cheers*
It's gonna be even better when he turns heel and it becomes: "Hey I'm a real fighter that kills things, fuck you!" *Crowd Boos*

He's already supposed to be a heel. Crowd will cheer him against mostly anyone though as he's a bigger star than anyone they have. It's made worse because everyone hates Cena, but they refuse to turn him. Also, you can't do one edgy storyline to try and bring in older fans and resort to the same boring PG shit for the rest of the show like they are doing. It just doesn't make sense.

UberTag

I think I'm really loving Brock Lesnar's gimmick of: "Hey I'm a real fighter that kills things, fuck you!" *Crowd Cheers*
It's gonna be even better when he turns heel and it becomes: "Hey I'm a real fighter that kills things, fuck you!" *Crowd Boos*
If they're not building to Cena being on the shelf (and c'mon the guy deserves a vacation from work and we deserve a vacation from him), I'm not sure where they're going with this.

Cagey

Banned
You can't make Brock Lesnar a heel among the anti-Cena set because 1) he's Brock Lesnar, former WWE monster, 2) he's Brock Lesnar, former UFC monster (pre-diverculitis thing), and 3) he's Brock Lesnar, the guy who wants to kill John Cena.

I honestly can't see it happening, ever.

Also, having been gone for a week, was the reaction here to last week's RAW (caught up on DVR yesterday) that (outside the first segment) it was a "fast forward x3" / 10?

EDIT: Catching up on Smackdown now... the Kane/Orton thing was a good way to make an otherwise "why do they hate each other again?" feud interesting.

For me, they don't even need to turn Cena - just do SOMETHING with his character. And no, slapping Brock is NOT character development. Cena was putting SO MUCH emphasis on how important the Rock match was to him before WM, why isn't he more despondent after his loss? Why isn't his confidence shaken? Why isn't he ashamed that he let the CeNation down? Brock should totally fuck Cena up at Extreme Rules and force him to leave for a while, or even better, Brock makes Cena look like a chump and then he leaves voluntarily, to 'get his head back in the game' or something, only to return down the line, SummerSlam maybe, for a re-match.

somedevil

All I know is, WWE better deliver on Brock beating the shit out of Cena at Extreme Rules.

Yeah, I want Cena to get destroyed but not how the Miz did it in that I quit match. I want Cena to blade and Brock puts Cena in choke hold with him bleeding until he passes out. That will put over Brock gimmick of him being legit.

Oh no, I was completely genuine with that statement.

Brock is just so fantastic at being a generally douche, oversized schoolyard bully, it's just who he is. It's like right now we're cheering for him because we paid him $5 to go beat up Cena, who sucks but then I'm fully expecting him to turn around after he's done and beat us up just because.

It's either to build a future returning Cena into a comeback story we can get behind (but won't), or to turn Punk into a giant-slayer (further alienating Punk's insecure weird IWC fanbase and to steal more cues from Punk's ROH run in that it'll likely play out like the Joe series). Either way I'm expecting it to be good

Wait, asking is ban material now? But people always did it :\
I was just asking since people are talking about reactions so thought it might be on.

Asking for illegal material is always bannable, it just has lax enforcement in this thread because [some reason?]

rvd2kewl

Chicago seems to get all the stacked B pay per view shows. The top 3 matches for the pay per view seem very good and made better with a top 5 crowd.

Smart business move by them. They give us the B shows because they know they're going to sell out and get a hot crowd no matter what.

Last five PPV's here: No Mercy 2007, Judgment Day 2009, Night of Champions 2010, Money in the Bank 2011, Extreme Rules 2012.

We're dying for something big like a Royal Rumble, Summerslam, or Survivor Series like they've brought to Madison Square Garden, but like I said, business-wise they don't need to do it -- even though I'm sure they would jack up the prices on tickets to a level even more ridiculous than they are now.

God dammit, I know I shouldn't be getting excited over an episode of Raw, but some of those segments sound...well, they DON'T sound like a complete turd.

I hate you, WrestleGAF, for getting my interests up in this very likely shit-show. But I love you for those same reasons.
They were pretty lax about it until very very recently. I've never seen anyone banned for lamp begging or for even saying they're watching via lamp before the WM thread.

It may also be because lamp-begging for a PPV is clearly illegal, while lamp-begging for a "free" show is in a murky area. I could be (and probably am) wrong, however.

God dammit, I know I shouldn't be getting excited over an episode of Raw, but some of those segments sound...well, they DON'T sound like a complete turd.

I hate you, WrestleGAF, for getting my interests up in this very likely shit-show. But I love you for those same reasons.

We're all in it together, Broski.

Kaladin

You can always watch it tomorrow, or later tonight and enjoy the use of the FF button on your DVR. In fact, if you're watching RAW without a dvr and a delay of at least one hour, you're doing it wrong.

Razorskin

----- ------
I expect RVD to come back for a short stint in the WWE, with his final match being against Ryback in a singlet match, loser has to take off his singlet.

it will be the only match Ryback will lose

Z2Ep5.png
Z2Ep5.png

Kaladin

I expect RVD to come back for a short stint in the WWE, with his final match being against Ryback in a singlet match, loser has to take off his singlet.

it will be the only match Ryback will lose

Nah, Ryback will go on to be the first ever undefeated former WWE Champion.

besiktas1

Just got back. Don't follow the wrestling but we took my uncle (who has downs) anyone else who went there I'm sure saw him. He had a blast really got into it, also wrestling fans are a such a nice bunch, were a good sport with him and played along with him too, two dudes in particular came and hugged him after as well after playing around with him before the show. I just watched him. A night to remember for me. I'm knackered so will update tomorrow. Also the old wcw ref was a class act. He conversed and played along with my uncle too after the show. Let him go to the ring and everything.

p.s. the only thing I came away with us YES is really popular throughout the night. even on the tube lol. I now like the bearded man... yes!

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Holy crap.

Raw spoiler
3. Kane fought Zack Ryder to an apparent no-contest. Ryder came out to a small pop, which disappointed Russell who is wearing his Broski shirt. Kane got an average pop. He chokeslammed Ryder, but never bothered to pin him. Instead, he cut a promo about beating up Bob Orton Jr. on Smackdown. There was no finish to the match.

How much worse can they bury Ryder? Kane doesn't even find him worthy enough to pin him?LOL!!

Holy crap.

Raw spoiler
3. Kane fought Zack Ryder to an apparent no-contest. Ryder came out to a small pop, which disappointed Russell who is wearing his Broski shirt. Kane got an average pop. He chokeslammed Ryder, but never bothered to pin him. Instead, he cut a promo about beating up Bob Orton Jr. on Smackdown. There was no finish to the match.

How much worse can they bury Ryder? Kane doesn't even find him worthy enough to pin him?LOL!!

Sorry Playa but Kane only punishes people. Not pin them...Otherwise his win record would be great

besiktas1

Holy crap.

Raw spoiler

yeah was confusing. no pin. Also the main event was cool. Everyone ran out. Del Rio ran out, big show, Orton.

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
I would like to point out that apart from punk and cena, Bryan was the most over and the crowd were chanting yes the whole night. Alberto del rio also got some Si chants in the dark match.

pwtorch.com said:
After reaching a new 52-week low of $8.05 per share Monday afternoon, WWE's stock price dipped lower to a closing price of $8.02 per share, setting a new 52-week low. Prior to Monday's events, the previous 52-week low set last week was $8.08 per share. At the close of last week's trading on Friday, WWE shares were trading at $8.11.

The stock has dropped 44.1% since the beginning of 2011.

Isn't like 75% of their stock owned by the McMahons?

Last numbers I could find state the McMahon's own 61% of the stock and those numbers are from midway through 2011. WWE stock is in a freefall. Probably why they announced those Mania numbers today to try and stop it, but it didn't matter.

Kaladin

Last numbers I could find state the McMahon's own 61% of the stock and those numbers are from midway through 2011. WWE stock is in a freefall. Probably why they announced those Mania numbers today to try and stop it, but it didn't matter.

It's probably going to fall even more when the Network launches and starts to fail due to a low subscription rating.

Twitter should buy the WWE.

Fixed.

somedevil

Smackdown Rating:

Friday's WWE Smackdown television show drew a 1.7 rating, which is better than the 1.5 rating that the same show drew when it aired live on Tuesday night. The replay averaged 2.307 million viewers.

Smackdown should just stay on Friday. I wonder how many people watched the show twice.

It's probably going to fall even more when the Network launches and starts to fail due to a low subscription rating.

Yeah, but at this point I have my doubts if the network will even launch. Either way they've already invested alot of money into that will be wasted. Every metric of their business was down double digits last year, except for ppv and that was saved by the Rock appearing on Mania and Survivor Series. Take Rock out of the equation and ppv buys have dropped 50% since 2010.

Kyoufu

Yeah, but at this point I have my doubts if the network will even launch. Either way they've already invested alot of money into that will be wasted. Every metric of their business was down double digits last year, except for ppv and that was saved by the Rock appearing on Mania and Survivor Series. Take Rock out of the equation and ppv buys have dropped 50% since 2010.

Didn't MitB 2011 go up 20% from 2010's?

markatisu

Good its just a reflection of the shitty product

Didn't MitB 2011 go up 20% from 2010's?

MITB went up, but going up 20% after a major angle on something that did 100,000-120,000 buys is not alot honestly. You are only looking at an additional 20-30k buys. That's nothing. I was a little off on my ppv numbers. Here's a post from Dave Meltzer on his message board. He's gotten into a lengthy debate with someone who says Stephanie is a success as head of creative.

Dave Meltzer said:
"This isn't an NFL team that won the Super Bowl that we're complaining about.

This is an NFL team that has declined in its record all of the past few years. They are better than they were at their worst (2003 to 2005) but are also down from 2007-2010 levels.

If you look at attendance based on history, they are 8-8, maybe 9-7. If you look at PPV based on history, they were the equivalent of a 3-13 or 4-12 team, and that may be being nice. If you look at ratings, maybe a 5-11 team.

I'm arguing with people whose big point is we won the Super Bowl in 2001 and you can't compare us to that year. I'm not. I'm comparing you to last year's team which for attendance was 9-7 and declined a little, for PPV was 3-13 and for ratings was 6-10. They declined a little in two categories, and the third, PPV, was not due to great creative but because they spent $20 million to get a 39-year-old QB and even he couldn't help them except in one category.

It's a team whose minority partners are begging to sell and whose value as a franchise diminished 31% in the last 12 months and whose analysts are predicting declines going forward.

Stephanie and her team have nothing to do with international sales and the DVD market is based a lot on what was done in the past, best selling DVDS with the exception of Mania were as much nostalgia-based as current guys. Toys declined. Video game sales were up only because of the legends game. Want to credit Stephanie for that game they brought back Savage, Rock, Austin, etc. as the main characters?

Web site constantly declining.

Tell me what happened to the 20% of the viewers who watched last year's Mania build up. Creative was so good that they..... Oh yeah, didn't bother watching. And those that did, more and more, they went from only being interested in buying two shows.

Let's look at the company and factor out The Rock. This is North American PPV buys eliminating any comparison (Mania & Survivor Series) that Rock played a part in.

2008 2,269,000 buys
2009 1,875,000 buys
2010 1,427,000 buys
2011 1,387,000 buys

That's not Super Bowl winning numbers.
"

Forkball

I don't get the CM Punk vs. Mark Henry matchups for the title. Isn't Henry on Smackdown? You can't cross the streams on the titles like that!

Top Bottom