• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGR Revengeance PC doesn't work offline (UPDATE: Fix out, go back to ripping spines)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojan X

Banned
Seriously people, STOP complaining about the file size. That's not the issue. You wanted the console game and now you got it and the highest quality of that console version. What do you think MGS4 file size would be like? Be happy that is not a PC download nor available for the PC.

The issues that are more important involves the graphics options to take advantage of other rigs and make the game more beautiful and impressive, fps stabilization, and the always online bug. Those are the main so far unless I am missing something.

zainetor

Banned
Seriously people, STOP complaining about the file size. That's not the issue. You wanted the console game and now you got it and the highest quality of that console version. What do you think MGS4 file size would be like? Be happy that is not a PC download nor available for the PC.

i'm sure mgs4 filesize would be 6gb game, 40gb hd fmvs.

KJ869

I hope they manage to fix this soon. I was raly concidering it for the -20% but then just decided to wait because I had no idea how good/bad the port would be and how it would run with slightly older hardware like HD5800

JB2448

So we're calling 180s on sneakily implemented DRM policies "bugs" now? Good to know.

Do you know for sure? The fact that it just kind of closes the application with no forewarning or anything seems to indicate the latter more than the former. Also, everyone at Konami seems to be calling it an "issue" and not a "policy" or anything remotely similar.

UnrealEck

Yeah, keep those disgusting optional games off the PC. The option of buying them is unwelcome!
But yeah, there's no way around pre-rendered cutscenes in a game which was designed to be released on console, a platform which is primarily far and away a physical media platform. That is other than compression I suppose.

I assume pre-rendered cutscenes are a bit easier to do than programming some form of pre-determined (animation etc) scenes in-game.

Pre-rendered cutscenes are fucking awesome, you can almost always skip them on the very frame they start playing guaranteed. Sometimes devs are iffy on letting you skip in-engine stuff (the worst case scenario being something like Max Payne 3).

antitrop

I made the PC OT for Mortal Kombat 9 and there were a ton of people complaining about the awful compressed cutscenes, and admonishing NetherRealm for not using the PS3 ones. Devs can't win.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The way I see it when I play on PC I want the absolute best of that version, if that means it's 30GB to download then so be it. I don't want anything skipped out because of people with poor broadband speeds or with crap download limits.

Sendou

I made the PC OT for Mortal Kombat 9 and there were a ton of people complaining about the awful compressed cutscenes, and asking why they didn't use the PS3 ones. Devs can't win.

I always wondered why they won't offer an option to choose between a larger version with better quality cutscenes and a smaller version with compressed cutscenes. Is there something stopping devs from doing this?

antitrop

I always wondered why they won't offer an option to choose between a larger version with better quality cutscenes and a smaller version with compressed cutscenes. Is there something stopping devs from doing this?
Well, considering both Xbone and PS4 now use Bluray, PC gamers better get used to enormous file sizes for cutscenes as a norm.

epmode

I made the PC OT for Mortal Kombat 9 and there were a ton of people complaining about the awful compressed cutscenes, and asking why they didn't use the PS3 ones. Devs can't win.

Go for quality, nuts to the other guys. But ideally, in-engine cutscenes pls.

Has our illustrious Platinum representitive said anything about patching the game to support high resolutions? This port is very close to being good, especially for a first-time PC developer!

LiK

This is the digital future. Maybe we'll have better video compression in the future but if you don't want prerendered cutscenes to look like ass, files are gonna be big.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Go for quality, nuts to the other guys. But ideally, in-engine cutscenes pls.

Has our illustrious Platinum representitive said anything about patching the game to support high resolutions? This port is very close to being good, especially for a first-time PC developer!

You'd like to think it wouldn't be that hard if Durante did it super quick. Here's hoping they do soon.

Gbraga

This is the digital future. Maybe we'll have better video compression in the future but if you don't want prerendered cutscenes to look like ass, files are gonna be big.

They do look like ass though, just not as bad as it could be if we didn't get the PS3 version.

It's one thing to get a big ass download to see Square-Enix CGIs without compression, another thing to get 5 times the game size of MGR cutscenes.

But again, I am glad we're getting the best version of the prerendered cutscenes, most publishers wouldn't care enough and would just give us the 360 version instead.

I'm sure they are using ancient codecs, not even x264... I watched one movie in x265 and my god the quality was jaw dropping, these videos should be mpeg-2 or something if the artifacts are clearly visible, just to not stress the cpu.

LiK

They do look like ass though, just not as bad as it could be if we didn't get the PS3 version.

It's one thing to get a big ass download to see Square-Enix CGIs without compression, another thing to get 5 times the game size of MGR cutscenes.

But again, I am glad we're getting the best version of the prerendered cutscenes, most publishers wouldn't care enough and would just give us the 360 version instead.

I'm sure they are using ancient codecs, not even x264... I watched one movie in x265 and my god the quality was jaw dropping, these videos should be mpeg-2 or something if the artifacts are clearly visible, just to not stress the cpu.

I do admit it's not crystal clear but it didn't look too terrible either. They do have a lot of long cutscenes too. I'm gonna assume they didn't bother reencoding the raw files with something better. Although JP can correct me if he's reading this.

Tizoc

Glad to see it was fixed up so fast i kinda suspected konami mit've mad online only but even if it wasnt this is such an odd thing to happen. Now it just needs to be region free so that other regions can know RULES OF NATURE.

Durante

So we're calling 180s on sneakily implemented DRM policies "bugs" now? Good to know.
Oh please, no one implements DRM that hard-crashes the game without warning.

You'd like to think it wouldn't be that hard if Durante did it super quick. Here's hoping they do soon.
I'd like to note that there are some (relatively small) issues with my quick hack though. It would probably be easier to get to work than e.g. Deadly Premonition though that did quite a few "special" things.

feel

Glad it's confirmed a bug, my connection has been spotty lately and I'm kinda scared to play and have a ctd in a super cool moment, I hope it's fixed fast.

I have zero problems with the games size, I'd much rather the games take the route of higher quality of assets, cutscenes or not.

Obviously it sucks for some people with caps and the like, so it'd be nice to be optional, but give me the best quality it can handle please.
This. Make it optional maybe but don't keep HQ cutscenes away from me.

For the final boss, what the hell am I doing wrong because the
second layer of the thing he throws at you seems impossible to cut. I get the first one fine but the second which is just on the other diagonal side always hits me. I know you can avoid it all together but I was trying to get some extra damage.

hamchan

For the final boss, what the hell am I doing wrong because the
second layer of the thing he throws at you seems impossible to cut. I get the first one fine but the second which is just on the other diagonal side always hits me. I know you can avoid it all together but I was trying to get some extra damage.

Just not cutting accurately enough? I had no problem doing it. Just finished the PC version on hard like 5 hours ago.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Except it was actually a bug. We hired aliens from Area 51 to fix it though, so there is still a bit of conspiracy theory there for you to latch on to. :)

I feel like you missed a wonderful opportunity for a nanomachines joke here, but it's too early in my morning for me to figure one out myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom