• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden review thread: The Highest Reviewed Game of All Time and The Future?

Esura

Banned
That would've been lame if they used light beams. Well placed steam is better than random streaks of light any time.

Bullza2o

Any chance this will go on sale during Black Friday (Amazon)? I just got $32 credit and working on my Bing points to get more. And how kind are they to price match BF sale prices?

Esura

Banned
Except Dark Souls is actually difficult.

Persona 4 (and 3) can be difficult if you don't plan ahead properly.

Like I keep saying, that applies to all of the new content. The beach trip is less than a minute long, as is the fireworks show. The new dungeon is a chore and laughably easy. The new ending is mostly the same as the old ending. Even the new music is half-assed, as it's not composed by Meguro (Except for the opening, battle theme and dungeon theme).

So is some SLs changed around?

Roto13

The new dungeon is the most (or only) interesting dungeon in the game. It actually makes you play differently.

Esura

Banned
It's still the easiest game by a mile, especially after the rose boss.

I must suck then. :(

Persona 4 only became easy once I started over grinding cause at first I was getting wrecked for the first few dungeons. Everything got better once I got the Fox.

Have I ended up in an alternative universe where Persona 4 has somehow become easier than 3?

Going from P4 to P3FES was a nightmare since I couldn't control anyone else in FES which bugged the hell out of me.

cj_iwakura

Have I ended up in an alternative universe where Persona 4 has somehow become easier than 3?

3 still has some difficulty near the end, especially the final boss. P4's true final boss was a joke even on Expert.

And Margaret is pathetic.

Astral

You really think P4 is harder than 3? After the first 2 bosses the game is a cakewalk (except for maybe Void Quest's boss). Even the final boss becomes almost laughably easy if you have the right move. I died a whole lot more in P3 than I did in P4. It's pretty much the only thing I don't like about P4. Golden looks even easier.

Sophia

Trying to raid and read forum posts at the same time while being dreadfully tired. Sooo fun. Not.

Going from P4 to P3FES was a nightmare since I couldn't control anyone else in FES which bugged the hell out of me.

Yeah but P3FES is so easy unless you're talking Episode Aegis.

3 still has some difficulty near the end, especially the final boss. P4's true final boss was a joke even on Expert.

And Margaret is pathetic.

Both games end up being a joke as far as difficulty if you know what you're doing. Persona 3 Portable is even easier considering the game wasn't originally designed with full party control in mind.

P4 was a cakewalk. I'm hoping Risky Mode makes the game a little more challenging.

Don't expect too much. Some of the new abilities seem like they're REALLY overpowered.

bigkrev

Here's some screenshots of the new shameless fanservice scene discussed above. Links because kind of NSFW and also spoilery I guess.

http://i.imgur.com/R47yI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/unF0D.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/C3zxS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SmaYs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/S9vcU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/n4cY9.jpg

And this is why I ignore most anime and JRPGS nowadays. Now that I'm older, it just strikes me as creepy.
Oh well, at least the rest of the game is probably going to rock

Esura

Banned
Wait...where is all these JRPGs with bath scenes? I wanna see.

Yeah but P3FES is so easy unless you're talking Episode Aegis.

I couldn't get five hours into Answer without quitting.

P3 got that stupid Reaper, uncontrollable party members that does weird stuff even when you change up the tactics, SLs are harder to max, especially the females from school, and it has one of the longest final boss battles I've ever had the "joy" of experiencing besides Lavos in CT.

Overall I liked it but it didn't stick to me as well as P4.

Roto13

Wait...where is all these JRPGs with bath scenes? I wanna see.

P3 got that stupid Reaper, uncontrollable party members that does weird stuff even when you change up the tactics, SLs are harder to max, especially the females from school, and it has one of the longest final boss battles I've ever had the "joy" of experiencing besides Lavos in CT.

Persona 3's final boss is WAY longer than Lavos.

I cheaped out and used that instant death item on his final form because I would have killed myself if I had lost to him and had to start that fight over.
And this is why I ignore most anime and JRPGS nowadays. Now that I'm older, it just strikes me as creepy.
Oh well, at least the rest of the game is probably going to rock

Feel free to just press start twice and skip that cutscene. You won't miss anything of value.

Sophia

The Answer is total bullshit that's for sure. Not sure what they were thinking by forcing it to hard.

I cheaped out and used that instant death item on his final form because I would have killed myself if I had lost to him and had to start that fight over.

I actually enjoy the length of the final boss, admittedly once you get the best stuff from Monad + about 10 levels over the boss it becomes easy anyhow. :\

I was level 99. I knew I was over-leveled, but I did not realize the jump from 98 to 99 was so huge. Only my MC, though. I didn't let anyone else hit 99.

So yeah, it was pretty easy. And the difficulty curve in Persona games I have always found to be front loaded because instadeath can be countered more easily later.

Esura

Banned

Aren't there like 12 tarot forms? I swear there were like 15 forms in Lavos' boss rush form alone.

What's this instant death item?

The Answer is total bullshit that's for sure. Not sure what they were thinking by forcing it to hard.

And with no Compendium to boot. The extra story stuff wasn't worth my sanity.

bigkrev

Feel free to just press start twice and skip that cutscene. You won't miss anything of value.

Cool, I'm honestly glad that's a feature.

I also thought the Answer was Bullshit. Being that my prior P3 experience had been P3P, not having any control over my party was maddening. I can't imagine going back to P3's combat after playing so much P3P

Roto13

Aren't there like 12 tarot forms? I swear there were like 15 forms in Lavos' boss rush form alone.

What's this instant death item?

It's called... Armageddon or something. I don't know where I got it. I don't really pay attention to my items in Persona games because there are so many of them. It does 99999 or whatever damage though.

Esura

Banned
It's called... Armageddon or something. I don't know where I got it. I don't really pay attention to my items in Persona games because there are so many of them. It does 99999 or whatever damage though.

That would of came in handy for me.

Sophia

Armageddon's only an item in Persona 3 Portable. In P3FES you have to do a fusion attack to perform it.

And Nyx has 13 forms.

Astral

I heard someone say once that Nyx charmed Yukari and she used Diarahan on him when he was about to die. That's hilarious. That luckily never happened to me even with Yukari in my party.

Esura

Banned
Armageddon's only an item in Persona 3 Portable. In P3FES you have to do a fusion attack to perform it.

And Nyx has 13 forms.
Wait...is that the one move that if you use on Lizzy you'd insta die?

I heard someone say once that Nyx charmed Yukari and she used Diarahan on him when he was about to die. That's hilarious. That luckily never happened to me even with Yukari in my party.

I would of threw my controller at my TV, real talk.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Wait...is that the one move that if you use on Lizzy you'd insta die?

Yep.

The fusion between Lucifer and Satan. Perfectly abusable in P3 original and P3FE, but not so in P3P since it is an item.

Damn, this game made it really tempting for me to get a Vita, but buying a system just for one game is just......... goddamn I am really tempted though.

Astra

Yep.

The fusion between Lucifer and Satan. Perfectly abusable in P3 original and P3FE, but not so in P3P since it is an item.

Damn, this game made it really tempting for me to get a Vita, but buying a system just for one game is just......... goddamn I am really tempted though.

P4 was my main motivation for buying a Vita, but as a result, I also have access to a lot of other great games. Give in to the fuzziness.

Kyon

Banned
Clearly you don't know very much about the newer Persona games.

Go read some interviews with Soejima. This doesn't conform with his design ideals.

WAT???????????? Not sure you read my post right and LOL I beat P3 and P4 already....

Dantis

I love how there's pages of people arguing with me about the new content, then they see it for themselves and suddenly, SHOCK, it genuinely isn't very good. Who would have thought?

WAT???????????? Not sure you read my post right and LOL I beat P3 and P4 already....

I think you're missing my point. You said it's not shameless because it's no different than other anime RPGs. I'm saying it is different because Persona is deliberately not sexualised, and Golden breaks that. That's why I said you should read some interviews with Soejima. It's the kind of thing he talks about.

Also, it's MegaTen. Before Soejima it was Kaneko, who does just about the least tittilating anime/manga/whateveryouwanttocallit art in gaming.

Boo this thread. Fan service in P4? Where did they get the nerve?

persona-4-rise_o_gifsxakzo.gif

Kyon

Banned
I love how there's pages of people arguing with me about the new content, then they see it for themselves and suddenly, SHOCK, it genuinely isn't very good. Who would have thought?

I think you're missing my point. You said it's not shameless because it's no different than other anime RPGs. I'm saying it is different because Persona is deliberately not sexualised, and Golden breaks that. That's why I said you should read some interviews with Soejima. It's the kind of thing he talks about.

Also, it's MegaTen. Before Soejima it was Kaneko, who does just about the least tittilating anime/manga/whateveryouwanttocallit art in gaming.

LOL I think you need to play P4 again

I mean

Boo this thread. Fan service in P4? Where did they get the nerve?

persona-4-rise_o_gifsxakzo.gif

Dantis

LOL I think you need to play P4 again

I mean.

Like I said before, clearly you don't know very much about Persona.

EDIT: Also, in regards to the Rise thing, it is VERY relevent to the story and themes of the game.

You're silly.

C'mon, it is not the same as a sequence where we get to see a bunch of girls poorly veiled by steam in a bathhouse. One is about introducing a character early on before you meet her, knowing before hand what she does for a living and also to set up the whole tv theme, commercial, then news, channel flipping, etc.

The other is just blatant fanservice.

Dantis

That's cute. You clearly said "oversexualized" in the other post and a gif was posted from P4. Dismissed

I don't even understand what you're saying. Yes, I did say that Golden's content is oversexualised, and yes, somebody did then post a GIF from vanilla P4.

I'm glad that our conversation has made you use proper grammar and punctuation though. It shows that I'm a serious guy who should be taken seriously.

Top Bottom