• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 GDC feature techdemo screengrabs, unveil June [Up: New, Better Shots]

Actually it looks worse because of art and the use of bloom that Epic still hasn't understood after all those years. It is technologically more impressive tho.

Can i see the pictures you are looking at, because quite honestly i don't see how anyone can call these pictures impressive by any stretch.

Rein should've never made those comments about how UE4 would look in comparison to the Samaritan demo.

I agree. There is clearly a lot of cool stuff going on from a technical standpoint (the sparks coming off the demon's face for example looks like something that would be impossible with pre-existing tech in real time), but that doesn't mean it "looks" amazing. It's not the kind of visual jaw-dropper that you saw with the UE3 tech demo, the jump from PS to PS2 and the like.

Saying that it would make Samaritan look bad by comparison doesn't seem to be very accurate from any sort of aesthetic standpoint. The fact that Samaritan was channeling a wicked neo-noir cyberpunk art direction versus this tech demo's fantasy stuff probably isn't helping them here either.

ElFly

Must be more impressive in motion. Gonna wait before dismissing it, though.

Those new editor capabilities sound like only matching what Cryengine was doing. Engine competition seems good.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Do each of the particles give off their own light source?

I agree. There is clearly a lot of cool stuff going on from a technical standpoint (the sparks coming off the demon's face for example looks like something that would be impossible with pre-existing tech in real time), but that doesn't mean it "looks" amazing. It's not the kind of visual jaw-dropper that you saw with the UE3 tech demo, the jump from PS to PS2 and the like.

Saying that it would make Samaritan look bad by comparison doesn't seem to be very accurate from any sort of aesthetic standpoint.

It's impressive compared to UE3, but I'm pretty sure CE2 and CE3 could both do it.

Accidentally posted a thread of this. Didn't see this article in my search. Anyways I like the lighting. Conviction used lighting similar to it in it's engine as well. And that's on the current Unreal Engine. Granted that was using their own modifications next gen we'll see it in practically every unreal engine game which is awesome :D

Doesn't look any better than samaritan demo imho.
Don't remember any massive particle showcase in Samaritan like the one being talked about. Anyway this probably looks better it just that the setting and themes in Samaritan are more interesting.

Some of the bullet points in the article are silly. No need to prebake has been offered already in some engines from the competition, Cryengine 2/3 for example. What's really important here is the tool set.

PS4 and Xbox next can't come soon enough.

Josh7289

Probably something I'll need to see in motion because right now. Doesn't really look like a step up from Gears 3.

It's better than Gears of War 3, but I had the same thoughts about wanting to see it in motion.

Anyway, we've definitely hit the point of diminishing returns.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Every economy of time & resources for developing visually ambitious games is welcomed, and UE4 seems to be interesting in this department.

Otherwise, lol at the Wired article tone, it's like Epic is the industry/media Messiah. They are important, their engine is popular/widely used, it could get even better/to a greater extent for UE4, but this article is a bit overemphasized.

Anyone remembers the old GeForce Vulcan demo? With a demon blacksmith?

large2.jpg

We have come a long way!

jaypah

In that pic of the demon knight walking towards the door you can see bricks floating in air at the doorway, I assume they're falling to the ground after some of the structure collapsed. I wonder what the destruction looks like in motion? I hope its awesome, that's another area that's not greatly represented on current Gen consoles.

mdtauk

I would rather see how Unreal Engine can be used for many different art styles, and not just Realistic, Realistic Medieval, or Realistic "Bald Space Marine" Sci-Fi games.

One of the big issues with Unreal games IMO is a lack of variety in how these games look. An engine should be much more flexible in its output.

KageMaru

I knew the tools and pipeline would be a major focus with UE4 and I'm hoping the improvements made to UE4 and CE3+ go a long way towards keeping budgets under control next gen.

jaypah

I would rather see how Unreal Engine can be used for many different art styles, and not just Realistic, Realistic Medieval, or Realistic "Bald Space Marine" Sci-Fi games.

One of the big issues with Unreal games IMO is a lack of variety in how these games look. An engine should be much more flexible in its output.

I don't think that's a fault of the engine though.

Ughh There's something really wrong here. I don't get how more power on consoles will help the industry. The dev costs will rise astronomically, more shit will be outsource to places like Vietnam and shanghai(Like Virtuos), and it will be a ridiculous nightmare to manage.

I want a better explanation Clifford.

"One of the big issues with Unreal games IMO is a lack of variety in how these games look. An engine should be much more flexible in its output."

They are. They all are. It just so happens those handful of "looks" are what's popular, so that's why every other game looks like that. It's not like this is new or a UE specific problem.

Ughh There's something really wrong here. I don't get how more power on consoles will help the industry. The dev costs will rise astronomically, more shit will be outsource to places like Vietnam and shanghai(Like Virtuos), and it will be a ridiculous nightmare to manage.

I want a better explanation Clifford.
They'll help the industry by improving gaming experiences, allow developers to do things they couldn't before? What exactly escapes you?

Zaptruder

Banned
I have the utmost respect for Tim Sweeney. This guy has definetly taken over from John Carmack as the premier programmer of the entire industry - even though we haven't recognized it as such - it's too obvious at this point.

And his vision is... incredible. He's talking about end game graphics technology; planning for it... and is in the right position to do so in a manner that will make these things a certainty.

It might seem a triviality from the perspective of people that only think real time graphics are good for games... but it's one of the more critical technological substrates for a virtual world - and everything that it implies.

This isn't just a matter of making shit look pretty for us - it goes to the core of the technology that can help us co-opt materialism.

Just think... if we had light weight AR/VR glasses, full motion controls, computer graphics that exceeded the limits of human perception... think about how that would change the way we interact - how we do things. How we travel, and create. Suddenly the digital world isn't just a supplement or a retreat for nerds - but the main world within which people spend their time, while the real world... well, it'll change, and hopefully for the better.

To think... all along, it was the gamers that held the keys to a new era of humanity...

mdtauk

I don't think that's a fault of the engine though.

I am happy to give them the benefit of the doubt, but until some of these tech demos show us more artistic uses of the Unreal Engine, and the released games stop looking the same as each other, I will have to blame it on something! :)

"One of the big issues with Unreal games IMO is a lack of variety in how these games look. An engine should be much more flexible in its output."

They are. They all are. It just so happens those handful of "looks" are what's popular, so that's why every other game looks like that. It's not like this is new or a UE specific problem.
Other engines have proven to be much more flexible, or to put it fairer - much more imaginatively used. Valve's Source engine has given us Team Fortress 2, Portal 2 etc. And then there is the EAD engine used for Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword - all be it with updates and tweaks over the years.

It comes down to deciding if they are only using the "flexible" engine to develop samey titles with a 'popular' aesthetic, or if perhaps the engine is restricting what they can do, or perhaps it is just a coincidence.

Either way as the creators of Unreal Engine, it should be Epic's responsibility to demonstrate the artistic, as well as technological capabilities of their product. Who knows, it may boost uptake and provide more variety and creativity in the current videogame market.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Crappy art to show off your tech, and...well...it's screenshots. I can't really drool at that when half the tech wizardly looks best when in motion.

No, we are not. Why do you think that?

If an equivalent leap in technical prowess does not result in an equivalent leap in aesthetic improvement, then you have hit diminishing returns. That does not imply that progress is over and things won't continue to look better, it just means that you need to put more in to get the same level of improvement you got before. You could probably make the case that for 3D games, diminishing returns started with the 360/PS3. Sometimes I still can't get over what an incredible improvement PS/n64 to PS2/GC/XBOX was.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
For the "meh" factor, it certainly comes in part from the fact that our eyes are accustomed to this kind of setting, a bit of Wrath of the Lich King here, Lord of the Rings CGI there, Skyrim here, heroic fantasy/medial usual things, etc.

Like "see the badass grim knight with glowing eyes you control or confront since 15 years in several medias ? Now we added 50x more particles effects around its sight !".

Hopefully, the impressions will be more enthusiastic and intriguing in a different frame.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I have the utmost respect for Tim Sweeney. This guy has definetly taken over from John Carmack as the premier programmer of the entire industry - even though we haven't recognized it as such - it's too obvious at this point.

And his vision is... incredible. He's talking about end game graphics technology; planning for it... and is in the right position to do so in a manner that will make these things a certainty.

It might seem a triviality from the perspective of people that only think real time graphics are good for games... but it's one of the more critical technological substrates for a virtual world - and everything that it implies.

This isn't just a matter of making shit look pretty for us - it goes to the core of the technology that can help us co-opt materialism.

Just think... if we had light weight AR/VR glasses, full motion controls, computer graphics that exceeded the limits of human perception... think about how that would change the way we interact - how we do things. How we travel, and create. Suddenly the digital world isn't just a supplement or a retreat for nerds - but the main world within which people spend their time, while the real world... well, it'll change, and hopefully for the better.

To think... all along, it was the gamers that held the keys to a new era of humanity...

you just listed everything i do not want

i dont want to wear retarded glasses and run around, give me a fucking joypad and good games.

death 2 motion controls.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I am happy to give them the benefit of the doubt, but until some of these tech demos show us more artistic uses of the Unreal Engine, and the released games stop looking the same as each other, I will have to blame it on something! :)

How about the developers?

mdtauk

How about the developers?

This is a valid point to make. But in the current industry, it is producers and publishers who set out what the developers are to make. Sadly I do not think it is safe for developers to come out publicly and speak out about the issues they have, for fear of losing their jobs. Even when I am sure many are sick and tired of making the same thing over and over and over!

Damn particles as far as the eye can see and you can see very far. Lighting is gorgeous and seems to be all real time. And I willing to bet that there is a shit load of physics objects running in that building scene.

Its looking great so far but I think I'll be blown away at video.

Zaptruder

Banned
you just listed everything i do not want

i dont want to wear retarded glasses and run around, give me a fucking joypad and good games.

death 2 motion controls.

Am I supposed to care about what you want? I mean really... you sound exactly like the kind of developmentally challenged person that I think the world should not cater to.

Vibri

Banned
Why is Epic's entire art pipeline so freaking generic?

Dudebro, Lord of the Rings, Blade Runner. Come on, try to be a little more fresh.

The Last of Us looks 10 times better than this.

"It comes down to deciding if they are only using the "flexible" engine to develop samey titles with a 'popular' aesthetic, or if perhaps the engine is restricting what they can do, or perhaps it is just a coincidence."

I'm curious as to how you think they would be "restricted" by the engine with regards to art style? For example, what do you think Valve did with TF2 to get its look that isn't possible in UE3?

"Portal 2"

Portal 2 looks pretty much identical to Half-life's aesthetic (it's a spin off, story wise, so this is a given), which is the "realistic" look you claim to be tired of.

If an equivalent leap in technical prowess does not result in an equivalent leap in aesthetic improvement, then you have hit diminishing returns. That does not imply that progress is over and things won't continue to look better, it just means that you need to put more in to get the same level of improvement you got before. You could probably make the case that for 3D games, diminishing returns started with the 360/PS3. Sometimes I still can't get over what an incredible improvement PS/n64 to PS2/GC/XBOX was.
While i understand exactly what you are saying, you are focusing on aesthetics. That's just one part of what conforms the visuals in a videogame. Of course is easy to appreciate the jump from PS/N64 to Xbox/PS2 generation, it's like going from cave paintings to the renaissance.

What about physical based simulations and animation? That's an incredible huge part of game visuals that is ignored by most gamers because of the way they have been conditioned for years. Right now they are centered in better textures or resolution. Next cycle we can have those Gears of War guys running around inside fully psychical modeled armors with parts that animate independently instead of the rigid looking normals we have now. That's an easy noticeable improvement. So no we are not even close to diminishing returns.

There are even gaming genres that the present cycle can't handle well enough.
Can't we already do that? It might be just a question of scale.
Not even close really. When you try to render a city, say of the level of complexity of a game like Assassins Creed, there's a ton of visual artifacts due to this cycle limitations. Correcting them wouldn't need an increment in budget. It'll need just more processing power.

Top Bottom