• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sweden-GAF |OT| I'd Say It's Pretty Lagom

Natetan

People like to say that, but I'm not sure it's really more true here than anywhere else. Either way, it's still a great word.

Neutral about war, moderate financial policy that avoided the financial crisi.

I also don't think social funded welfare works in societies of people not prone to lagom because people will be greedy and take advantage of it.

Nej nu skal svenskerne altså ikke til at begynde at tro at de ved noget om rugbrød.

Må vi lige være her.

Har aldri prøvd svensk rugbrød, men svensk rugsprø er derimot fantastisk!

roWFw.jpg

How does the legal system work in Sweden? Is there anyway an American law degree could possibly translate to practicing Swedish law w/o having to do 3 more years of school?

If you want your education to be validated in Sweden there are two possibilities. Each Swedish university that is authorized to issue the LLM degree (Master of Laws) evaluates foreign law degrees in order to establish if parts of the courses embraced by the foreign law degree may be accepted as part of a Swedish LLM degree and which courses you have to take in order to obtain the LLM degree. There are six such universities in Sweden, those of Stockholm, Uppsala, Göteborg, Lund, Örebo and Umeå. Hopefully you can find some information on the website of the Universities.

There is other possibility to become a certified lawyer in Sweden. The Swedish title of a qualified lawyer is "advokat". The title is protected by law and must not be used unless you are entitled to. Those entitled to use the title "advokat" are the members of the Swedish Bar Association. To apply for membership of the Swedish Bar Association you have to fulfill certain requirements regarding education and training. Firstly you have to obtain a Swedish law degree (LLM). After you have obtained the Swedish law degree you have to practice law for at least five years. Applicants also must pass an exam regarding lawyers ethics.

Pollux

If you want your education to be validated in Sweden there are two possibilities. Each Swedish university that is authorized to issue the LLM degree (Master of Laws) evaluates foreign law degrees in order to establish if parts of the courses embraced by the foreign law degree may be accepted as part of a Swedish LLM degree and which courses you have to take in order to obtain the LLM degree. There are six such universities in Sweden, those of Stockholm, Uppsala, Göteborg, Lund, Örebo and Umeå. Hopefully you can find some information on the website of the Universities.

There is other possibility to become a certified lawyer in Sweden. The Swedish title of a qualified lawyer is "advokat". The title is protected by law and must not be used unless you are entitled to. Those entitled to use the title "advokat" are the members of the Swedish Bar Association. To apply for membership of the Swedish Bar Association you have to fulfill certain requirements regarding education and training. Firstly you have to obtain a Swedish law degree (LLM). After you have obtained the Swedish law degree you have to practice law for at least five years. Applicants also must pass an exam regarding lawyers ethics.

Thanks for the info! I've never been to Sweden but I'm planning to go soon. Everyone I know who has been there absolutely loved it.

What's the lifestyle in Sweden (or Scandinavia in general) like? Is it that different from the US? How bad is the language barrier? Are people generally accepting of Americans (foreigners)?

Sorry for all the questions.

I was yes.

Yeah I thought that was you.

Thanks for the info! I've never been to Sweden but I'm planning to go soon. Everyone I know who has been there absolutely loved it.

What's the lifestyle in Sweden (or Scandinavia in general) like? Is it that different from the US? How bad is the language barrier? Are people generally accepting of Americans (foreigners)?

I would like to think that we're laid back, but we're probably more introverted than laid back. Otherwise most people speak english fairly well, maybe not the older generation but you shouldn't have that much of a problem. And as long as you're not a douche people will probably like you. I can only speak from my own experience but at least people from New Zealand, China and so on (more "exotic" places) have been well liked. Can't imagine people from the US to be met any differently. But prepare to be offered a lot of Swedish stuff like snus and Swedish candy.

Oh and the giant bomb guys have no taste in candy.

As a student, you go out and get drunk. Alcohol culture in Sweden is peculiar, much like in the UK , young individuals are often interested in just getting as drunk as possible and partying.

Generally, the stereotypes are pretty spot on, such as strangers being cold and minding their own business and people hanging out in their groups mostly. Language will be trickier if you want to learn it, mostly grammar wise and some pronunciation coming from English, but if you're talking about a short visit then it won't be a problem at all - Swedes are quite proficient in English.

Couple of years ago, you might have gotten some shit for being an american due to Bush, but nowadays you'll be more than fine.

zam

Midsommar for Dummies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8ZLpGOOA1Q

It's basically Sweden's equivalent of 4th of July, we have Nationaldagen (National Day) on June 6th, but noone ever celebrates it or knows why we have one.

Also the worst part of Sweden is Systembolaget, the government monopoly liquor stores. There is nowhere else to buy alcohol or beer stronger than 3.2%, apart from going to a pub that is. Oh and their opening hours suck, closes at 15:00 on Saturday, and if you're lucky you live in a town that has more than one.

Couple of years ago, you might have gotten some shit for being an american due to Bush, but nowadays you'll be more than fine.
This is true. I'm an American ex-pat (been living in Sweden since I was 6) and when I was in gymnasiet (swedish high school) it was during the height of W Bush, took some shit for that :p But as you said nowadays swedes don't seem to care.

I'll do my best to provide a brief summary for Norway.

What's the lifestyle in Sweden (or Scandinavia in general) like?

I might be wrong, but I believe we generally have more time to spend on leisure. Everyone has the right to a minimum of 25 days of paid vacation, and 31 days if you are above 60. Work hours varies according to professions, but I believe a 9 to 4 job is fairly common.

How bad is the language barrier?

Not sure how to answer this one. All scandinavian languages are pretty common, and share some similarities with english. You might be able to judge the meaning of a couple of words based on how they are written, for example:
window=vindu
fisk=fish
fantastisk=fantastic
knife=kniv
Otherwise I would guess that the initial learning period might be a bit hard due to the low exposure foreigners have to the scandinavian languages. I do know of some people who managed to become almost fluent in an incredibly short amount of time. Some dutch people who moved here pretty much mastered oral norwegian in about 1,5 years. Almost everyone among the younger generations are fluent in english, so you shouldn't have any trouble on a day to day basis without knowing norwegian.

Are people generally accepting of Americans (foreigners)?

Norway has a decent amount of foreigners, maybe 15% of the population. The ratio is higher in the big cities, for example 30% of Oslo's population are immigrants. The vast majority of people, especially the younger generations, are tolerant and have no issues with foreigners, but as always there might be exceptions. The US is in general is pretty popular among the people I know, so as an american I believe you would be welcomed with open arms by pretty much everyone.

As in Sweden, Lawyer(Advokat), is a protected title that requires appropriate education and several years of work experience among certified lawyers. The wage for this profession is generally high, although it varies with experience and responsibilities. The data I found showed an average wage of everything from 520,000 NOK to 950,000 NOK depending on your position:
Advokat (certified lawyer): 955,000 NOK
Advokatfullmektig (basically the title you gain after your degree, but before you become a ceritified lawyer): 719,000 NOK
Offentlig ansatt advokat (certified lawyer working in the public sector): 821,000 NOK

Currently 5.9 NOK = 1 $

Pollux

I'll do my best to provide a brief summary for Norway.

I might be wrong, but I believe we generally have more time to spend on leisure. Everyone has the right to a minimum of 25 days of paid vacation, and 31 days if you are above 60. Work hours varies according to professions, but I believe a 9 to 4 job is fairly common.

Not sure how to answer this one. All scandinavian languages are pretty common, and share some similarities with english. You might be able to judge the meaning of a couple of words based on how they are written, for example:
window=vindu
fisk=fish
fantastisk=fantastic
knife=kniv
Otherwise I would guess that the initial learning period might be a bit hard due to the low exposure foreigners have to the scandinavian languages. I do know of some people who managed to become almost fluent in an incredibly short amount of time. Some dutch people who moved here pretty much mastered oral norwegian in about 1,5 years.

Norway has a decent amount of foreigners, maybe 15% of the population. The ratio is higher in the big cities, for example 30% of Oslo's population are immigrants. The vast majority of people, especially the younger generations, are tolerant and have no issues with foreigners, but as always there might be exceptions. The US is in general is pretty popular among the people I know, so as an american I believe you would be welcomed with open arms by pretty much everyone.

As in Sweden, Lawyer(Advokat), is a protected title that requires appropriate education and several years of work experience among certified lawyers. The wage for this profession is generally high, although it varies with experience and responsibilities. The data I found showed an average wage of everything from 520.000 NOK to 950.000 NOK depending on your position:
Advokat (certified lawyer): 955.000 NOK
Advokatfullmektig (basically the title you gain after your degree, but before you become a ceritified lawyer): 719.000 NOK
Offentlig ansatt advokat (certified lawyer working in the public sector): 821.000 NOK

Currently 5,9 NOK = 1 $

Thanks for all the responses everyone! I wouldn't be looking to apply to LLM programs in Europe for at least another year or so but it's always good to start thinking about these things, I guess :jnc

Thanks, again.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Also the worst part of Sweden is Systembolaget, the government monopoly liquor stores. There is nowhere else to buy alcohol or beer stronger than 3.2%, apart from going to a pub that is. Oh and their opening hours suck, closes at 15:00 on Saturday, and if you're lucky you live in a town that has more than one.

That'd be 3.5%. Those 0.3% are important!

Djungelvrål is like the ultimate citizentest. Brought some to Japan, and in my school, with literally people from every continent of the world, we were the only ones who could eat them and not have a "My family has been slaughtered"-face while doing so.
How anyone can dislike djungelvrål is beyond me.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I have always wondered why Sweden had so many outstanding pop acts.

Abba
Roxette
Ace of Base
Army of Lovers

They were HUGE. There are also Cardigans, Eagle Eye Cherry, The Hives, Clawfinger and so on.

I mean how the country with population less than New York can produce so much good music? There must be a secret or something.

Also all of them were singing without any accent, this has always baffled me.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Reporting in.

Excellent OT-name.

Majine

Banned

Abba
Roxette
Ace of Base
Army of Lovers

They were HUGE. There are also Cardigans, Eagle Eye Cherry, The Hives, Clawfinger and so on.

I mean how the country with population less than New York can produce so much good music? There must be a secret or something.

We are obsessed with music

zon

I think the best thing for you is to search for blogs by fellow Americans who either live in, or has visited Sweden. It's hard for us natives to really notice the difference.

We are however very accepting of Americans, the Bush years are gone. ;)

Mr Swine

Banned
Sverige gaf representerar.

Best russian in Hollywood.
Peter-Stormare-5-big.jpg

Oh and Strafer, weren't you on Superplay back in the röda forumet days?

Hehe, when I lived in Arbrå, Armageddon had premier and the whole school went to see it. The day after Peter Stormare came and gave us autograph's. When he asked my name he jokingly said another name so I had to repeat my name several times. Man he is such a kidder :/

Icomp

As far as I know, Corky might be the one living the closest to me. Me living about 100km from Karlstad. (Just read the first page. I feel bad.)

Ledsen

Abba
Roxette
Ace of Base
Army of Lovers

Singing without an accent is super easy, if you hear them speak English they sound like any other Swede (=the Swedish chef). I don't really know why, I guess it has to do with following a set melody as opposed to talking. Also yeah we have a HUGE interest in music , playing instruments, singing etc.

You won't have any problems being accepted, Swedes have no problems with Americans (although you may be drawn into arguments about guns or politics by some). As for lifestyle, it's hard to say. Swedes are, on average, more quiet and less extrovert than Americans (note that this doesn't mean unfriendly), but of course this varies greatly from person to person. We're not very religious I guess? Learning Swedish is probably not that easy, but the sentence structure is generally very similar to English and the grammar has many similarities.

aku:jiki

odens_130471660.jpg

My new favorite brand! Highly recommended for those that enjoy a classic snus flavor (i.e. no eucalyptus bullshit or girly-man "white"), similar to General but at 25SEK per dosa instead of like 50.

This is true. I'm an American ex-pat (been living in Sweden since I was 6) and when I was in gymnasiet (swedish high school) it was during the height of W Bush, took some shit for that :p But as you said nowadays swedes don't seem to care.
You still taking shit for it, son! Get back on your ATV and wave some flags.

KAOz

Short bus special
Sweden-GAF, reporting in!

Läts tallk som Swi-dish, upp in här. It wold bi ama-zyng.

Or mäjbe som Änglish, bekus dat is so kool.

antipod

Hmm guys, the cheese slicer was invented by a norwegian.

Anyway, Järfälla represent.

But since I'm just living here but coming from Norrköping/Linköping and travel down to Östergötland quite often I guess I'm semi representing it as well.

fanboi

Banned
Funnt how this started...

I was in this thread where I was complaining like a little twat.

Keep in mind, I live in a small town in middle of Sweden (like 10k pop) and I'm talking to Ledsen who ask where I live...

SMALL WORLD WE LIVE IN THE SAME CITY.

Fuck, so cool... and in the same timeframe another gaffer from a neighbouring town álso joins in.

Now I'm afraid to get murdered :|

EDIT: I still have no idea who Ledsen is thou... since everyone knows everyone in this town.

Mr Swine

Banned
Funnt how this started...

I was in this thread where I was complaining like a little twat.

Keep in mind, I live in a small town in middle of Sweden (like 10k pop) and I'm talking to Ledsen who ask where I live...

SMALL WORLD WE LIVE IN THE SAME CITY.

Fuck, so cool... and in the same timeframe another gaffer from a neighbouring town álso joins in.

Now I'm afraid to get murdered :|

EDIT: I still have no idea who Ledsen is thou... since everyone knows everyone in this town.

Maybe its your Girlfriend! Dun dun duuuun... XD

antipod

This thread is lacking our national dish!

tarta.jpg

While the smörgåstårta (sandwich cake) was invented just in the mid 20th century it can almost be called something of a national dish today.

Most delicious thing ever.

KAOz

Short bus special

Creeeeeeeeepy :(

Everyone on GAF, everyone, are in reality your friends. We just made this whole forum to mess with you. Seriously.

Jag tror att jag skojar. Kanske. o_,o

Edit:
Holy shit guys, I found the old documentary about one of Sweden's most tragicomic characters ever! Christer Petterson!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JUOQOA6E6s&feature=related

Also contains the famous clip of him shaving, and fixing his hair. Wow.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'm going to a crayfishrecord this saturday, but I hate crayfish ;'(

KAOz

Short bus special
I'm going to a crayfishrecord this saturday, but I hate crayfish ;'(

Then, don't eat it? Just go for the booze.

There is always ONE on every party like that who doesn't eat crayfish, drinks all the booze, pukes on the table and then passes out while taking a shit.

Be that person. For us.

Reporting in.

If you want peace and quiet, there's nothing like most of the countryside in Sweden. I just returned from a weekend in the summer house.

Stockholm is nice but I wouldn't want to live there. Gothenburg maaaaybe. Norrland ftw!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
same here only tomorrow :(

Then, don't eat it? Just go for the booze.

There is always ONE on every party like that who doesn't eat crayfish, drinks all the booze, pukes on the table and then passes out while taking a shit.

Be that person. For us.

Hahahah, damn man... I can't hold my liquor, chances are I will be that person.

Man up pöjk, suck out all the delicious juice.

*shudders* It's so nasty, soooo nasty. Now I love me some shrimp, scampi, tigerräkor and whatnot, but seeing people crack open those poor crayfish and suck their buttjuices out of the fracture... well, no sir I ain't having any of that.

edit : also thanks KAOz now I have O'boy all over my keyboard.

Top Bottom