• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Vanadium

Finished. Landed the
I and Thou
ending. 15 hours and change on Normal difficulty.

Barley scratched into the Typhon powers and invested heavily in security weapon stats. Played roughly an hour and a half a day, sometimes more.

- Combat is shit half the time but fun at other times.
- Some quests are broken. NPCs do not show where map says they are no matter what I did. The only time I went to a guide was when a quest step wouldn't trigger .
- The
Mikhaila quest
is awful. I don't know how many times I had to go back and forth from my office.

System Shock vibe was laid on thick, but I keep thinking there's something missing with the combat feeling so rough. It was good. Just unsatisfying for some reason. Dishonored 2 was more conventional but it also felt more complete.

It was alright. Not GotY for me. Fun in places but intangibly lacking...

Really cool. I'd definitely buy some of those.
Jesus...I just got to the
reactor room
and my FPS suddenly drops in the 10s for no apparent reason....

Yeah I had that. Restarting the helped but the area was still rougher than anything else in the game.
- The
Mikhaila quest
is awful. I don't know how many times I had to go back and forth from my office.
Once to get the quest and a second time to finish it? I don't remember that quest being weird unless
it changes if you delete the recording

Is it possible to fail quests by doing them in the wrong order?

Loving the game btw, favourite first person game since Bioshock. Even games like Titanfall 2 that I enjoy, I'm ready for them to end after a couple of hours.

Sotha Sil

I am so impressed with this game... wasn't excepting to love it this much. The save scumming is becoming a problem though, I will probably replay it with self-imposed restrictions.

I was ambivalent about the zero-g sections before playing the game (usually dislike those), but Arkane really outdid themselves; they're great.

On my way to the Arboretum.

uceenk

just played the demo, this game remind me of Deus Ex, the kind of game that i liked

definitely will put it on wishlist, i will buy it once the price down to $20 (probably next year), that's ok though since i rather patient

SomTervo

just played the demo, this game remind me of Deus Ex, the kind of game that i liked

definitely will put it on wishlist, i will buy it once the price down to $20 (probably next year), that's ok though since i rather patient

If you like Deus Ex etc, this game is worth your purchase right now. It's the best game in the genre this decade.

Yes. Happened with me on the
"With this Ring" quest. If you deal with Dahl before you do the quest, then Kevin Hague will wither be dead or refuse the ring.

What the hell, that quest doesn't ring a bell to me and here I thought I had found all side quests. Where is this one found?

I think I'll look up a guide and see if I missed other quests.

A couple questions.

In the Arboretum,
I left in the escape pod and ended up dying. I'm guessing because you die, it doesn't mark the quest as completed. I imagine later on it will be marked as incomplete?

In the Crew Quarters, Had suspicions
about the cook after I saw the picture in Will's room tampered with and the fact that the transcribe pictures didn't match. At first I let him live because he didn't do anything wrong. Later I saw Sho request that I kill him. So I reloaded and did that. Does that go against the no kill run? Also, does Sho die? Seems she is runny out of O2.

Now I just started Deep Storage, how far am I in the game?

Side note,
Nightmare
is super easy to kill. Though it is annoying when you don't feel like dealing with it and you have to wait.

When do i get the scanning ability... I'm still pretty early on

The beginning area of Psychotronics.

A couple questions.

In the Arboretum,
I left in the escape pod and ended up dying. I'm guessing because you die, it doesn't mark the quest as completed. I imagine later on it will be marked as incomplete?

In the Crew Quarters, Had suspicions
about the cook after I saw the picture in Will's room tampered with and the fact that the transcribe pictures didn't match. At first I let him live because he didn't do anything wrong. Later I saw Sho request that I kill him. So I reloaded and did that. Does that go against the no kill run? Also, does Sho die? Seems she is runny out of O2.

Now I just started Deep Storage, how far am I in the game?

Side note,
Nightmare
is super easy to kill. Though it is annoying when you don't feel like dealing with it and you have to wait.

The beginning area of Psychotronics.

Regarding the first question, it stays in your quest log if I recall correctly until the end. I stopped paying attention to it after a while. Regarding the second one
Yes it counts as a kill because you you obviously killed him and you finished the quest prematurely. The quest will update as you progress through the main story up to a point where you can either kill him or he dies anyway. As to what happens to Sho I dont remember but I'm guessing she dies eventually.

Deep Storage depending on your play style should be half way through

Regarding the first question, it stays in your quest log if I recall correctly until the end. I stopped paying attention to it after a while. Regarding the second one
Yes it counts as a kill because you you obviously killed him and you finished the quest prematurely. The quest will update as you progress through the main story up to a point where you can either kill him or he dies anyway. As to what happens to Sho I dont remember but I'm guessing she dies eventually.

Deep Storage depending on your play style should be half way through

Thanks!

The thing is I didn't finish the quest prematurely.
I actually, stunned him, then met with Sho, who then told me to kill him. After I did that, both quests where fully completed and not failed. Does killing him only affect the trophy you get or is there a story consequence?

Thanks the thing is I didn't finish the quest prematurely.
I actually, stunned him, then met with Sho, who then told me to kill him. After I did that, both quests where fully completed and not failed. Does killing him only affect the trophy you get or is there a story consequence?

So the quest completed while he remained stunned? Cool :) Killing him should only affect the trophy. He is not ending essential though there is extra dialogues with him and he does set up traps through Talos

bati

Just started playing this and I'd like to know how many skills I'll be able to max out by the end if I'm thorough in exploration? I'm going for the stealthy scientist/engineer type.

Also, I'm playing on Nightmare, any tips regarding first Neuromod picks? Hacking will probably end up as priority (already put one point there) but I've already spotted a few places that require repair and leverage so I'll likely get these two as well.

edit: And I just bludgeoned the first phantom I came across by sneaking up behind him and applying wrench to his face. I'm completely hooked lol.

ilium

Just started playing this and I'd like to know how many skills I'll be able to max out by the end if I'm thorough in exploration? I'm going for the stealthy scientist/engineer type.

Also, I'm playing on Nightmare, any tips regarding first Neuromod picks? Hacking will probably end up as priority (already put one point there) but I've already spotted a few places that require repair and leverage so I'll likely get these two as well.

I don't have any hard numbers, but I'd say you can max out either human or typhon easily at the end if you explore a lot. (And without making too many Neuromads yourself)
Don't forget to get some combat skills as well at some point later (I invested in my first combat skills after ~15h)
Repair is really helpful and leverage II is enough to move III objects by force. (Some say this works with leverage I objects too, but it never really worked for me.)

Instro

So I got hit by that inventory glitch and my gloo gun is gone. I'm stuck in deep storage at the moment, is there an extra one nearby or where are the plans?

Edit

Nvm found one in deep storage.

Dartastic

So, I know that the input lag got patched out on this game on PS4, which is great. Does anyone know if it ever got patched out of Dishonored 2 on PS4 also? That's honestly the one reason I never played much of that game. It was infuriatingly bad.

I've been playing Prey on PC, and I haven't had that problem. Makes me kinda wish I got Dishonored on PC as well.

edit: And I just bludgeoned the first phantom I came across by sneaking up behind him and applying wrench to his face. I'm completely hooked lol.
Well i played on normal and i was able to get every Human ability and some Typhon abilities with exotic material to spare.

OBias

A new update is released for the PS4 and PC: https://bethesda.net/community/topic/57903/prey-ps4-update-v-1-03-patch-notes

Further fixes to prevent Save games from becoming corrupted. Fix also returns corrupted Save games to uncorrupted state.
Items should no longer be incorrectly deleted from inventory or world when changing levels.
Fix for stamina not recovering.
Fix for being unable to repair items.
Player should no longer spawn out of level.
Fabricated weapons are now empty.
Fix for humans incorrectly turning hostile. Hostile humans in lobby will be returned to friendly.
End game credits now always skippable.
Aaron Ingram no longer cowers if spooked by a Typhon.
Fix for various problems making changes in the settings.

It will be released for the Xbox One later this week.

illusionary

Is there a clear point of no return near the end of the game?

I'm almost afraid of doing main missions because I don't want to end it too soon and leave a bunch of side missions unfinished.

For example:
I've been hanging on Alex's Escape Pod key for a while now as I don't want to use it in fear of finishing the game lol
Go ahead and use the key, you "end the game" but it just counts as a game over.

While I've not yet finished the game myself (I think that I'm getting close), I'd have to advise the opposite. I took this quest through to completion and I have a feeling that I may have been partly spoiled on the eventual ending,

Auraela

Banned
just got to the
shuttle bay
area and has really turned me off the game and i cnanot be bothered to finish now, such bullshit involved and has made it completey unfun

just got to the
shuttle bay
area and has really turned me off the game and i cnanot be bothered to finish now, such bullshit involved and has made it completey unfun

If you're talking about the Technopath, Stun Gun and Emp Charge gives you an advantage over it.

Its very beneficial to use some alien powers like Psychoshock or Kinetic Blast to hurt it further. Whittle down its health and blast it with the Q-Beam (If you have one) till the green bar fills up and it will die in an instant.

Some areas are more than others depending on which abilities, weapons, and tools you have

This game has gotten royally frustrating toward what feels like it should be the end, but I've been told I've got 5 hours to go even just sticking to the main quest.

I just
tried to upload the Coral data to Alex's computer and some director guy stepped in and shut Talos down, etc.
The combat has become so unbelievably tedious. These
Military Operators
can go fuck themselves.

I want to experience the end of the game, but the gameplay itself has worn out its welcome.

Bahh.

Not sure I can do it, gaf.

This game has gotten royally frustrating toward what feels like it should be the end, but I've been told I've got 5 hours to go even just sticking to the main quest.

I just
tried to upload the Coral data to Alex's computer and some director guy stepped in and shut Talos down, etc.
Military Operators
can go fuck themselves.

I want to experience the end of the game, but the gameplay itself has worn out its welcome.

Bahh.

Use a stun gun and hack them. Block the dispensers with heavy objects if you can.

And get rid of Dahl's Tech Officer as soon as possible. You'll find Kaspar's location from Dahl's Shuttle in the Shuttle Bay.

Oh, and you should knock out Dahl as per Igwe's suggestion rather than killing him if you want the other survivors to escape Talos 1. He'll also tinker with oxygen control

I just
Military Operators
can go fuck themselves.

Bahh.

Heh. That was what I was thinking of when I said you still had some stuff to do. If it's any consolation,
once you dispense with that particular questline, you're basically in endgame.
I'd say you've got closer to two or three hours left now, depending on what you decide to do. For me it was three, but I did some optional stuff
(incapacitated Dahl and dealt with his diversion)
, cleaned up a sidequest or two, and set myself up for multiple endings all at once; you can skip a bunch of that if you just want to get to the end.

Also, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, USE. THE. STUN. GUN.
When the military operators appeared in my game I was like "oh fuck these are the assholes everyone in the GAF thread warned me about, shit is about to get real" and then I zapped the three that ambushed me in Alex's office with my stun gun and was like, "wait, that's IT?" Seriously, two zaps of a fully upgraded stun gun and they blow up. One zap and Hacking IV and they're your new best friend. Your biggest issue, honestly, will be running low on disruptor batteries. I tried using Q-beam on them because of all the ammo they drop and that's probably your next best option, but still significantly worse than the stun gun.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So...

Still no info or word from Arkane about the missing PS4Pro support (as stated via printing on the damn box)?

Finished. Landed the
I and Thou
ending. 15 hours and change on Normal difficulty.

Barley scratched into the Typhon powers and invested heavily in security weapon stats. Played roughly an hour and a half a day, sometimes more.

- Combat is shit half the time but fun at other times.
- Some quests are broken. NPCs do not show where map says they are no matter what I did. The only time I went to a guide was when a quest step wouldn't trigger .
- The
Mikhaila quest

System Shock vibe was laid on thick, but I keep thinking there's something missing with the combat feeling so rough. It was good. Just unsatisfying for some reason. Dishonored 2 was more conventional but it also felt more complete.

It was alright. Not GotY for me. Fun in places but intangibly lacking...

For
Mikhaila's
quest, you need to
talk to her a few times in your office for the audio log to appear

Beat the game in 31 hours, so just have a question regarding the ending,
it probably doesn't really matter what you did during the game, you'll always get the same two choices?

I had the feeling about the whole story,
that it was a simulation since I prematurely entered the escape pod in Arboretum (just by gliding around, didn't even occur to me to use the GLOO Cannon) which triggered a suspicious short cutscene. I actually expected the story would go deeper into parallel universes (regarding the whole nature of the Typhon and how they mimic things), monitoring various versions of Morgans and influencing their actions until they get to the bottom of what and who the Typhon are, then using the data preemptively, but they obviously went in a different direction.

Didn't feel the story very much, some of the quests kinda fell apart for me towards the end, with NPCs reacting glitchy, I failed a quest and I have no idea why, I also had like a short string of quests being acquired and finished immediately at one point without knowing exactly why that happened, and overall the end parts felt a bit rushed. Which is also funny because System Shock 2 was in a similar state, with the now hilariously infamous ending.

I felt Prey was at its best when it let me roam around freely, getting the feel of each section of the station and having that survival horror/scavenging part of the experience, and it didn't really deliver when it tried to funnel me into a more linear story path.

That being said, I really liked that it tried to shake things up with the NPCs, especially
setting up multiple situations with living NPCs, letting you interact with them as opposed to just communicating with characters through comms, behind a glass screen or straight up just having everyone dead. Kudos to Arcane for letting in some life into a scenario that usually has no living, interactive NPCs.

I also liked the idea of changing the gameplay by
introducing various unique stages and types of threats as the story progressed, forcing you to change the way you play somewhat, at least in theory. Having the Nightmare as a sort of a Big Daddy/Nemesis character all of a sudden was a neat idea. Also having to suddenly think of turrets as enemies, treating the Coral as a Psi recharge resource, optionally polluting the station's water source so that you can recharge your Psi points at water fountains (this surprised me because I wasn't sure what that quest was actually for, really neat detail), playing with gravity a bit and even the Military Operators and the Tendrils which pretty much forced you to use certain weapons more that you might've not used that much before.

Most of those things kinda fell apart for me, because
on my first time unlocking Typhon neuromods, I unlocked like 5-6 at the same time, which instantly spawned the Nightmare, along with a short flashback cutscene and a longer audiolog by Alex, followed by the Nightmare killing me on the spot, reloading and then never hearing that audiolog again. Nightmare also became really easy really quickly, which defeated its purpose. I never used the turrets much, so most of them were left broken or undeployed, so when I Typhoned up, I almost never really encountered any enemy turrets. By the time you unlock Psychoshock III and level up the golden gun a bit, you plow through any Typhon in your way. Just playing carefully can really make you way too OP, so I lost a fair bit of that survival horror aspect halfway through the game.

Still, I really enjoyed my time with this game and am really glad something like this managed to come out in 2017.

Megasoum

Banned
So ending question:

I did the two big options (the thing to kill them and the self distruct)

Is there anything special if you actually go back to the shuttle bay once Dahl is ready? I got tired of waiting for the call so I never actually completed it lol

Top Bottom