• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raiden V: Director's Cut coming to PS4 via Amazon Listing

Saw this earlier, but there was no thread.
http://gematsu.com/2017/05/raiden-v-directors-cut-ps4-listed-amazon

Raiden V, originally released for Xbox One on May 2016, is coming to PlayStation 4 as Raiden V: Director's Cut via UFO Interactive, an Amazon listing has revealed.

The PlayStation 4 version of the game is listed for an August 22 release, although it is possible this is a placeholder release date. Unlike the Xbox One version, which was a digital-only release in the west, the PlayStation 4 version will have a physical release including the game's original soundtrack CD, at least in North America.

Raiden V has a new ship damage system that uses the health bar instead of lives; three distinct ships with different Defense, Mobility, and sub-weapons; a new ”Cheer Attack" that boosts sub-weapons for a short time; and support for up to two players offline.

PantsuJo

Raiden 3 and 4 are on Steam and each have 20K owners at least. That's a good number for shmups right? Would be cool to have it on more platforms I agree.
From Steamspy:

Raiden IV Overkill: 35,604 ± 5,647 owners

Raiden III: 22,018 ± 4,441 owners

Good numbers.

Gnomepowered

Neo Member
I'm not even a huge Raiden fan, but I can't say no to a new retail shmup, especially with a soundtrack included- I do generally like the Raiden soundtracks. It's a weird case where I feel like I want to support the genre, more than the series or developer.

Between this and Darius, the M2 Shotriggers, Caladrius, the PS4 looks like it's where the console shmups are settling this generation (not super surprising, I guess). PC is great and I am glad it is getting loads of shmup support too, bit I am always happy to see full retail releases in niche genres(I imported Caladrius and everything), so I hope the listing is accurate!

kulapik

The One has really bombed in Japan if the exclusive shmups that made the 360 sell are doing so bad that they have to port them out.

muzzymate

The Raiden series is like fighting games with me - I absolutely love them, yet I am terrible at them.

I've owned Raiden V for awhile and still come back to it weekly. Happy to hear more people will be able to play it.

Tain

Nice.

Yet another case of Microsoft having favorable exclusivity deals with STG developers that wind up being time-based and leading to other platforms getting a game that otherwise probably wouldn't exist.

I gotta say, I'm gonna miss this approach once Natsuki Chronicle gets ported, lol.

I'll be waiting for the same PS4 version to come out on Steam. A couple months later. Just like what they did with Raiden 4 Overkill.

Yeah, that's where I'm at.

kulapik said:
The One has really bombed in Japan if the exclusive shmups that made the 360 sell are doing so bad that they have to port them out.

MOSS ported their 360 games eventually as well. STGs didn't make the 360 sell, and the reason MOSS games aren't ported sooner is probably because the devs are on a timed exclusivity deal.

Yes Boss!

Probably sold more to the global audience when it was discounted to less then $15. Ha!

Finally get to play it with an arcade stick.

In for one (or two) copies if it gets a physical in Japan as well!

It's mandatory for me to get it as a shmups fan but I don't really like the UI of this Raiden tbh.

Raiden-V-PS4-Listing-Amazon.jpg

Are all those craps on both sides necessary? Like, what's the point of that mini map at the bottom right corner?

Tain

the mini map is hilarious.

I'm glad they stuck to something close to the original aspect ratio. What they did with the rest of the screen is pretty inconsequential imo

PantsuJo

It's mandatory for me to get it as a shmups fan but I don't really like the UI of this Raiden tbh.

Raiden-V-PS4-Listing-Amazon.jpg

Are all those craps on both sides necessary? Like, what's the point of that mini map at the bottom right corner?
It's bad, I know.

Also, no TATE mode if I remember...

The voice acting in this game is terrible.

I have it on Xbox One and I burned through it one day and after I finished it, the game crashed hard before the last achievement popped.

So mad.

That's nice its getting a proper physical release for the PS4 in the west! I will pick up it up sometime. Looked decent enough. Hope the Director's Cut has a proper TATE mode! With the 3D Raidens I felt they always have an issue with the bullets being too hard to see, a TATE mode would at least improve visibility.

How rare is an original Raiden coin-op machine?

I found this hole in the wall bbq place that had Ms. Pacman, Samurai Showdown 2, Tetris, and the original Raiden. Next time I'm in there, I want to make an offer on one of them.

Holy fucking shit this is wonderful. I missed this thread initially, but I just had the game randomly reccomended to me on Amazon and freaked out. Did a quick Neogaf search and low and behold this is old news.

I sold my XB1 back when Scalebound was cancelled since it was the only announced game left that I even wanted on it. Multiplat games are better on PS4 and most of the niche Japanese games I'm into are even exclusive to PS4. The only thing that made me think twice about selling it was losing access to this game and Crimson Dragon. I only had the digital version of Raiden V but I liked it so much I had been thinking about buying a physical Japanese copy for close to $100, even though I dont own the console anymore. Now I don't have to bother with that, plus this also comes with the fucking amazing soundtrack. Couldn't be happier.

clem84

Gold Member
Fuck me. I finally ordered the Japanese X1 version yesterday thinking I didn't have a choice if I wanted physical.

I'm not sure if I'll get it on PS4. The game is easily playable even if somebody doesn't understand Japanese.

It's also pretty awesome.

I'll be there. The Raiden series has long been one of my favorites but I haven't done the Xbox thing so far this gen...but this will get me my Raiden V.

Great news, will buy right away. With Raiden V, Hamster's Arcade ports and M2's Shot Trigger series PS4 is starting to build a very solid shmup library.

Justinh

already have my order in. i love soundtrack cds. the game will get lots of playtime too of course!

I'm still pissed I didn't get one with my copy of Raiden V for Xbox One. I ordered it like... 3-4 days after the release date from PlayAsia.
edit: it was exactly a week after release

Elessar

Neo Member
Damn.

"Raiden" and "V" in the title somehow made misread the entire title and made me think Metal Gear Rising was coming to the PS4.

Top Bottom