• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII delayed last-minute on PC

Foffy

Banned
Or they've been working on the fixes hoping to iron them out by release, but alas they needed more time.

I'm sure fixes are coming, but I would have imagined by Friday would have been the absolutely "best" last-minute decision here.

They waited for >24 hours before launch. I was actually looking to buy it when I got home from work today, thinkin' it was out.

It stings. :(

Geddy

Weird. And my Vita collector's edition got here a day early! Sorry to hear guys. Hopefully it won't be too long.

Zafir

I was contemplating whether to get it on PC or console. I guess this makes it super easy. It's cheaper on console anyway since the PC price is absolutely ludicrous.

kewlmyc

Couldn't they have done this earlier than the day it was supposed to release?

Anyway, I hope it's not to add Denuvo.

Also hope the same doesn't happen to Danganronpa V3.

dreamfall

I'd be very curious to see just what the issue is and what it would take to fix (and also what a more contemporary Falcom codebase looks like), but I don't have much time right now.

They really should've addressed it from the jump, and hired your earlier!

I think the way NIS addressed this was shitty - locking threads with beta testers under NDA, even posting an optimization thread on the Steam forums led to a lot of shady whispers of how shit the port was.

Why not be forthcoming and honest, just delay it and announce it earlier? A day before, no word, NDA play testers - sadness.

I've heard rumors that beta-testers reported some serious performance problems on PC. If it's true, then I'm glad NIS/Falcom are taking time to fix the game before releasing it.

I've heard rumors that beta-testers reported some serious performance problems on PC. If it's true, then I'm glad NIS/Falcom are taking time to fix the game before releasing it.

Yeah that's the rumors I'm talking about. If it's true, I'm not sure if they can fix it in a matter of days. Maybe it's gonna be a long delay. Not for months though, maybe a week or two.

Labadal

I knew this would happen. Who wants to release their game this close to Divinity: Original Sin 2?
I'm joking.

If this had to happen because of quality reasons, so be it. It's a shame the delay got announced this close to release, though. Had I pre-ordered this, I would be annoyed, even though I knew the actual reason(s) for the dealy.

On a personal level, not the end of the world. It's a game I want to play sometime next year.

I already purchased the ps4 version after learning of this. Will get to play sometime tomorrow.
I will follow the pc version closely, It really seemed that my laptop wouldn't make the cut for 60fps. If they can make a good port after this I would get it at some later point, maybe before if I end up loving the game and I can find it a bit cheaper.

yaffi

At least they're not delaying the game because they found out their script/translation/editing isn't... very good. That's just gonna stay that way.

Thoraxes

And with that, the game got dropped to a winter steam sale buy for me. Hopefully they at least get it right the first time then, especially if they delay it not even 24 hours before launch.

Thank goodness for refunds for those that preordered.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of leaker hot-takes that the port was shit.

But that makes this all the more hilarious
disgusting
if XSEED really did lose out on Ys 8 because NISA promised a Day 1 PC release that XSEED couldn't, given that NISA reneged on that selling-point only a few hours before release, in addition to a Garghav-tier localization.

In other news, at least we have Ys 7 available for you all to play on PC!

preta

Is the translation really that bad for Ys VIII?

It's mostly accurate in meaning (except for occasional stupid mistranslations that are mostly in item and character names), but it's stiff, flat and overly literal.

I cant believe that this week Im going to buy a ps4 thanks to Nisa not being able to optimize a vita game on PC

Well, to be fair, the PC port is based on the PS4 version, which has upgraded graphics (the assets are better, it's not just a resolution/framerate bump). Still no excuse for it.

They translated the name of a large crater area as "Archeozoic Big Hole", lol.

This is made a million times worse by knowing that the Japanese version had the name already displayed in English, and it was "Crevice of the Archeozoic Era". Granted, "crevice" isn't the most accurate descriptor of the area, but it would have been so easy to just change that word rather than start from scratch and do the most literal translation possible.

I don't understand why people are saying it is to add Denuvo. If so, then the game wouldn't be up for sale over at GOG, where games are DRM-free.

I do hope the kinks get ironed out for this PC release and that it gets released where the game is still in the minds of folks. The upcoming weeks is going to see a lot of competition in game releases.

Namikaze

At least it will be polished when it does come out. Also, idk why I got this game mixed up with that YS Vita game (Memories of Celceta or whatever).

preta

At least it will be polished when it does come out. Also, idk why I got this game mixed up with that YS Vita game (Memories of Celceta or whatever).

Probably because that was the previous Ys game released, and because this one's on Vita as well.

They had an application for the community to sign up and test. So they didn't get professional testers, but it's better than nothing.

Depends on what you call profesionnal testers. If it's paid people, sure but I doubt it's saying a lot about abilities.

LOL

I almost wonder if Zwei: Ilvard Insurrection could launch sooner than Ys VIII now. And since there's only so much NISA can get fixed if they're only delaying a week or so, I think the port will still disappoint non-beta testers. Some nasty comments breaking NDA started floating around these past few days.

I found it worrying when they started the beta test sign up only two weeks before release, felt like it wasn't enough time to iron things out.
Such a close-cut beta period's almost always a bad sign. XSEED hasn't done this kind of public beta for PC releases in a while, if ever, but their private QA betas always happen further out. This will definitely backfire for NISA since they dangled a carrot on a stick (public beta for those itching to get into the game early) and now have to backtrack.

But that makes this all the more hilarious
disgusting
if XSEED really did lose out on Ys 8 because NISA promised a Day 1 PC release that XSEED couldn't, given that NISA reneged on that selling-point only a few hours before release, in addition to a Garghav-tier localization.

In other news, at least we have Ys 7 available for you all to play on PC!
XSEED comes out looking better but will still have an outdated reputation for delaying PC releases because of Trails SC. They've been smart to avoid this kind of situation since, even if that means no pre-order periods. NISA's done much better at marketing Ys VIII than XSEED has with Seven, but this just means the PS4/Vita releases will perform disproportionately well vs. Steam/GOG (and maybe Humble later). That won't reflect well when Falcom sees XSEED's bid for Cold Steel III, where they can show how competitive they are on PC and how quality PC ports (like Cold Steel PC starring Durante) drove sales and revenue for both parties.

I wish Seven had more effort and budget put into its port, but now we at least have an HD texture set and hopefully a big patch soon. NISA did their best in a bad situation with VIII, so it's not like it'll sell awful once the day comes.

Now that I think about it, I wonder how Aksys' PC release of Tokyo Xanadu will fare...
Ghostlight's porting Tokyo Xanadu eX+ to PC, and I think its launch won't be delayed or as bumpy as this. That game's also based on PhyreEngine, unlike Ys VIII which uses Falcom's internal engine ("Yamaneko").

Top Bottom