• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Loot Boxaggedon continues: Leak reveals Zombie crates in COD WWII

tenor.gif

Kalentan

Nothing new or surprising here. I won't buy them, and I'll still have fun - just like last year!

Yup. In IW's case they totally weren't needed to enjoy zombies. I used all my keys in MP and so I had very few F&F that were the one time uses. Never felt like I needed any of them and still put in many hours.

Zarovitch

Actually wasn't aware of the Amiibo's. What do they do?

I don't want to derail de thread but this:
Tap compatible amiibo™ accessories to access a variety of helpful, optional gameplay assists; some amiibo also unlock outfits for Mario when tapped!

One of the problem with loot box is that there's no limit of cash you can spend.
And like others have said, it's change how they design the game around it.

Sami+

Yep.

You're telling a company to make less money. Go ahead, have fun with that.

Actually I'm mocking the argument corporate mouthpieces love parroting every time this conversation comes up.

What makes less sense to me is why you're so keen on fighting the good fight for the billionaires in charge of these corporations, but what you do with your time is your own business.

Wedzi

Banned
Wait so are there two separate loot boxes now in CoD WWII? The regular ones for multiplayer the last two CoDs had and now separate ones for Zombies?!

oti

Banned
Actually I'm mocking the argument corporate mouthpieces love parroting every time this conversation comes up.

What makes less sense to me is why you're so keen on fighting the good fight for the billionaires in charge of these corporations, but what you do with your time is your own business.

See. You say I "fight" for billionaires while I'm just stating obvious facts. If you can't distinguish between stating facts and cheering for companies, this conversation is pointless.

Jeremy

Wait so are there two separate loot boxes now in CoD WWII? The regular ones for multiplayer the last two CoDs had and now separate ones for Zombies?!

Fans of the Call of Duty series and the Zombies game mode say (in this very thread) that these exact lootboxes and their content have been in Zombies for a very long time now. I'm not 100% sure how true this is but I keep seeing it repeated ad nauseam.

If they've been willing to put up with it in multiple iterations there's not much you can say. Consider you're selling lootboxes to people who are willing to spend a ton of money to have a higher place on a leaderboard and not even in the main multiplayer portion of the game. It's people who aren't good at the game and don't have much time to put in to it so they pay money to ease back the variables as much as possible to get a higher score.

Thank you publisher's for saving my wallet.

It was close to tears at the thought of all the games coming out but now it has breathed a sigh of relief.

Wolfenstein, South Park and GT: Sport are only the games on my ever dwindling list I will get day 1.

I hope that politicians wake up to loot boxes that it's gambling for under 18s. It's illegal.

KC Denton

If you've been buying this shit for multiple years then we're just embarrassed for you in retrospect.

Well, I haven't been buying them, just saying that if you wanted to get outraged about this you should have been raising your voices years ago instead of now when the jaws have been locked on peoples' throats and digging in for ages.

Sami+

See. You say I "fight" for billionaires while I'm just stating obvious facts. If you can't distinguish between stating facts and cheering for companies, this conversation is pointless.

It's obviously a figure of speech for debating the topic online, but you can pretend I said that instead if you want to get into semantics. The only purpose your alleged statement of fact actually serves is discouraging people from voicing discontent of new business practices, as if that hasn't been successful in the past. It's absurd and comes off as corporate cheerleading at best.

"You're telling them to stop making money with their unethical practices, obviously they won't so you should stop talking about it and deal with it."

ubercheez

Well, I haven't been buying them, just saying that if you wanted to get outraged about this you should have been raising your voices years ago instead of now when the jaws have been locked on peoples' throats and digging in for ages.

Ah, so it's the "it's too late; that's just how it is now" defense this time.

Kalentan

Fans of the Call of Duty series and the Zombies game mode say (in this very thread) that these exact lootboxes and their content have been in Zombies for a very long time now. I'm not 100% sure how true this is but I keep seeing it repeated ad nauseam.

If they've been willing to put up with it in multiple iterations there's not much you can say. Consider you're selling lootboxes to people who are willing to spend a ton of money to have a higher place on a leaderboard and not even in the main multiplayer portion of the game. It's people who aren't good at the game and don't have much time to put in to it so they pay money to ease back the variables as much as possible to get a higher score.

1. Your overestimating the power of this stuff.

2. No one in the community gives a fuck about leaderboards. Shit gets hacked day 1.

3. All of this stuff is easily obtainable through just playing. Not like it’s pay only.

I’m BO3 there were 2 currencies. Crypto keys and Liquid Divinium. Keys for MP and Liquid for Zombies.

I’m IW it was keys for both sides with shared currency. Better system since it allowed you to progress by playing either MP or Zombies.

I put in many hours of IW Zombies and only used my keys to buy maybe 3 crates in the days of play time. They aren’t needed at all if you want to get to 100+ rounds.

I’m not saying loot boxes are a good thing but it’s very obvious who has played and used them and who hasn’t.

Goddamn... Half of Gaf is gonna need a new hobby soon at this rate. Is this really the year of the loot box or did we just not notice it as much until now?

xRaizen

You should do a bit of research. The zombies consumables in BO3 and IW really only help you “set up” faster. With the right gobblegums/fate cards, you can get set up with perks and upgraded weapons as fast as round 1/2 with a team of 4 with a coordinated loadout of GG/FC’s.

That leaderboard you keep talking about? It tracks rounds you survived. You can get extremely high rounds without using ANY GG’s or FC’s. Hell, most of the free (unlimited use) consumables are more useful in the later rounds than the ones you get through loot boxes. I never spent a dime on liquid divinium (the currency used for BO3 zombies) and yet I’ve gotten to very high rounds without a hitch, using the free gobblegums.

KC Denton

Ah, so it's the "it's too late; that's just how it is now" defense this time.

If you want to deliberately misconstrue me as trying to defend this, then I guess I can't stop your outrage. I on the other hand will be voting with my wallet since that seems to be the best way of stopping loot boxes.

Audioboxer

Goddamn... Half of Gaf is gonna need a new hobby soon at this rate. Is this really the year of the loot box or did we just not notice it as much until now?

The great Loot Box war is upon us. Console wars and the era of PS3 vs 360 is dead. Now arms will be taken by the two sides to argue on a videogame messageboard around being pro-loot box and anti-loot box. Look forward to lots of "I'm never buying anything from this company again" and "It doesn't affect me so all of you should be quiet and stop talking about loot boxes". The great social experiment has now begun. Which side are you going to be on? Make history.

If there is such a thing as astroturfing still alive and well in the PR realm for videogames, now is the time for these corporations to send their employees out into the wild to blend in as being passionate people in the pro-loot box camp. No one will be the wiser (until mods check registered emails and see members are pretending to be average-gamers not tied to companies as employees ~ yes, this has happened on GAF). I'm not calling out anyone for that, I'm just saying this is the perfect time for Activision to get some GAF accounts going around telling everyone Bobby has to put food on his table and loot boxes are actually a fantastic evolution for this industry to give gamers options, save them time, and introduce them to the wonders of unregulated gambling. It's lots of family-friendly fun. Get your young kids around the TV as you swipe your credit card. Teach them how to do it too and don't turn on parental controls for the best efficiency.

And previously locking Modern Warfare Remaster behind the IW Legacy edition for nearly 8 months. Which itself then added loot crates.

image.php

witness

I hate videgames this fall. The first half of the year was so good too but man publishers have really taken a shit on the industry.

ubercheez

If there is such a thing as astroturfing still alive and well in the PR realm for videogames, now is the time for these corporations to send their employees out into the wild to blend in as being passionate people in the pro-loot box camp. No one will be the wiser (until mods check registered emails and see members are pretending to be average-gamers not tied to companies as employees ~ yes, this has happened on GAF). I'm not calling out anyone for that, I'm just saying this is the perfect time for Activision to get some GAF accounts going around telling everyone Bobby has to put food on his table and loot boxes are actually a fantastic evolution for this industry to give gamers options, save them time, and introduce them to the wonders of unregulated gambling. It's lots of fun.

My name is Billy Everyteen, and I sure hope to find a lot of crates under my virtual tree this coming non-denominational giving holiday!

spad3

I'm just waiting for the game that has loot boxes for loot boxes...

oh wait...Marvel Contest of Champions on mobile exists

That game enables you buy crystals packs that contain randomly tiered crystals (aka loot boxes) that contain randomly tiered heroes. Higher leveled crystals have higher leveled heroes. Event and exclusive heroes are also locked behind paywall or stupidly high nearly unachievable by the normal player in-game currency cost.

Yo dawg I heard you like loot boxes so I put your loot boxes in loot boxes so you can unpack loot boxes to unpack loot boxes.

Lorcain

I want to see an indie game where the entire gameplay concept is about loot boxes. It would be like PUBG+Hunger Games with loot boxes that can only be purchased with real $, and the best loot boxes are only available at weird times of the day/night for 5 minutes at a time. None of this earn it in game nonsense.

kuYuri

I want to see an indie game where the entire gameplay concept is about loot boxes. It would be like PUBG+Hunger Games with loot boxes that can only be purchased with real $, and the best loot boxes are only available at weird times of the day/night for 5 minutes at a time. None of this earn it in game nonsense.

Make a game called Loot Box Simulator and sell it on Steam. Put some trading cards in there too. Then watch the money roll in cause a whole bunch of people will buy it for the laughs and memes.

Can't blame them. Can't blame any of them.
I hate it but it seems some people can't resist paying for the loot even after paying $60.

Not surprising. Another game on my black list.

Kinda have to thank all these big greedy publishers because my wallet will have much more in it this fall.

Nothing new - this has been in since Black Ops 3 and honestly in that game the drops were pretty generous to the point public matches would quickly devolve into somebody looking like they're cheating.

IW had a similar system but it was more about cosmetics plus that game did loot better than any other game in the franchise but only since it failed so hard in playerbase numbers.

I'm not a regular zombies player and, having played every release day one until WWII (missing it for reasons not pertaining to loot stuff) these buffs are really easy to get and not uncommon at all.

What you want to bitch about is the other part of the game, which has almost gotten me to throw down $40 for the crates. Still haven't out of of principal but I'm not going to stop playing games I like out of principal either - I'm not contributing to the problem so why should I care?

Top Bottom