• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

SalvaPot

W3fpblg.jpg

I figure this is very relevant to the thread title.....

Heh! Seems fitting, hopefully it doesn't drop in quality like Naruto did by the second half, that reminds me I have to check out the finale for that.

Can't we just call it by its' proper name, My Hero Academia? It's right there on the cover and it's an easy translation.
I guess we can, I don't mind either way. I decided on Boku no Hero Academia for the OP since it is the name everyone is using for translations and discussions, it also makes for a more interesting name.

Good shit OP, caught up to it last week and it's quite excellent. Was a bit disappointed when bulge was cancelled but I find this to be superior so I guess it works out in the end.

I began reading this a few weeks ago and it's very good. Expressive art, lots of heart and a good message.

Just read the first chapter. Aces! so good.
Thanks OP.

Glad you are all enjoying it!

Anywho, I'm expecting All Might to fuck some shit up. Also, is it just me, or does anybody else get the impression that the fire and ice guy might be evil?
He seems to be the most powerful of the student characters shown so far, but I think he is supposed to be there to make the rival guy look not as strong, I think fire/ice guy is a good guy.

SalvaPot

Or

He's defeated and gives Deku all of his might :)V) before dying, since Deku seems to be more in control of as of this chapter.

Weird, doesn´t his power did not go through because of the villain? I thought that was the reason why he didn`t injured himself that time. Also All Might angry face at the end gave me goosebumps

Maximo

Awesome glad a Thread was made for it. Don't often read too much Manga but with Naruto gone and Bleach..well just getting even more horrible started looking for another shonen Manga to feel the weekly gap. Definitely love the American Hero influence it has going for it.

Omnicent

Weird, doesn´t his power did not go through because of the villain? I thought that was the reason why he didn`t injured himself that time. Also All Might angry face at the end gave me goosebumps

The guy he punches was created/engineered to counter all might specifically (think they go over that in the next chapter). He is pretty strong.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
All Might's
weaker form
really reminds me of the art style used in Soul Eater.

SalvaPot

The guy he punches was created/engineered to counter all might specifically (think they go over that in the next chapter). He is pretty strong.

Ah, I must have missed that, nice catch. I have an excuse to re-read some chapters now.

And that just makes me even more worried about how All Might is going to fight him

All Might's
weaker form
really reminds me of the art style used in Soul Eater.

Agreed, it also reminds me of Gorilaz for some weird reason.

j.rob

This is awesome. I love it so far.

The
Heroes and Villains team up fight
was so hype awwww man. This defintatly needs an anime adaptation

Frog-fu

Banned
I've been waiting to jump into this when it's got a bunch more chapters but I might as well just jump into it now, I suppose. It's got about 20 out now, right?

I'm just trying to avoid another Hungry Joker type deal.

Nanatsu no Taiza has gotten my attention lately. I decided on waiting for the anime to finish before I jump into the manga but I'm feeling that itch to catch up.

Derwind

Been following this since it came out(wow that sounds weird) but my hang up is really that
the main character as a bland power. It maybe GOAT in his world but its just physical powress.

I really love Gravity Girl or whatever her name is, she seems like she's set up to become really broken(OPed) in terms of strength.

I'm predicting the Class President Iida to evolve his ability into something of a speedster, he's already extremely agile and athletic.

And I'm really liking the froggy looking chick, she speaks her mind and doesn't give a fuck. I like that a lot.

I do have great expectations for this manga, hopefully the main protagonist, hopefully his one for all powrers evolve more thoroughly.

Nairume

Banned
Been following this since it came out(wow that sounds weird) but my hang up is really that
the main character as a bland power. It maybe GOAT in his world but its just physical powress.
Due to the first chapter's weirdly poor pacing that pushed
All Might deciding to give him his powers
to the second chapter for no good reason, I was convinced that Deku would become the Nick Fury of the super hero community by virtue of his crazy good command of detail and analysis of supers and his equally impressive ability to put that all to making good strategies on the fly.

I'm actually really happy that the comic didn't forget that!

SalvaPot

I've been waiting to jump into this when it's got a bunch more chapters but I might as well just jump into it now, I suppose. It's got about 20 out now, right?

I'm just trying to avoid another Hungry Joker type deal.

Nanatsu no Taiza has gotten my attention lately. I decided on waiting for the anime to finish before I jump into the manga but I'm feeling that itch to catch up.

Don´t worry about this one getting the axe, its hype levels is through the roof and there are a lot of other series not doing so hot.

I really love Gravity Girl or whatever her name is, she seems like she's set up to become really broken(OPed) in terms of strength.

I really like how her power needs physical contact, that gives her a nerf if you ask me, since villains can avoid her by just not allowing her to touch them

I was convinced that Deku would become the Nick Fury of the super hero community by virtue of his crazy good command of detail and analysis of supers and his equally impressive ability to put that all to making good strategies on the fly.

I'm actually really happy that the comic didn't forget that!

It is weird to have a Jump protagonist that is also smart because of studying, isn't it? He is such a nerd and I like him for that.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
So, Sky High the Manga?

I'm in.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well i'm in. Subbed. With Hunter x Hunter stagnating and the anime finally over (*sobs*), I think this looks up my alley. I will work on reading what's out there and checking back in.

Derwind

I really like how her power needs physical contact, that gives her a nerf if you ask me, since villains can avoid her by just not allowing her to touch them

She can also make objects and allies and herself much much lighter. She destabalized an entire building with power. If anything sje can even be a combo support hero, making Deku lighter so a physical wall type character or maybe even herself can throw him like a wolverine x collosus teamup.

She was the only one to get an infinite score in the throwing challenge. She made her ball so light it escaped gravity. Thats ridiculous.

If she ever gets the ability to increase gravity to the people and objects she touches, its game over.

solomon

I've been hearing good thinks on this manga but I'll wait until it has 100+ chapters (hopefully it makes it) and do a marathon.

Great series.

I love Deku, Ochako (Gravity Girl), Tsuyu (Frog Girl), All Might (Weak Style), and Iida. The latest chapters are also making me enjoy the supporting cast.

Feels a lot like Ao no Exorcist before that went off the goddamn rails into sporadic releases.

Alric

Cool, i'll have to read it some tomorrow. If it's even marginally as good as Hunter x Hunter i'll be happy.

SalvaPot

She can also make objects and allies and herself much much lighter. She destabalized an entire building with power. If anything sje can even be a combo support hero, making Deku lighter so a physical wall type character or maybe even herself can throw him like a wolverine x collosus teamup.

She was the only one to get an infinite score in the throwing challenge. She made her ball so light it escaped gravity. Thats ridiculous.

If she ever gets the ability to increase gravity to the people and objects she touches, its game over.

Now that you mention it, yeah, she will make an amazing combo with Deku, adding acceleration to his attacks. Damn, now I'm even more excited to see them team up in a serious battle

How does the writing in this compare to Hunter x Hunter, or even Magi?

Hmm, Hunter x Hunter is one of my favorites, but I'll say Hero Academia does not go as deep with its writing, is a lot more lighthearted. But I'll say In recent chapters is building up to be more serious that I gave it credit for. I have yet to see magi, so I can't give you my opinion with that one x). That said, Hero Academia's writing is fun and crisp.

Does this have some romance in it?

So far? The main character has a crush on a classmate and she feels admiration for him, and its really cute, but it seems more of a secondary thing. The series have great characters, both male and female and the ships are been made as we speak.

Derwind

Now that you mention it, yeah, she will make an amazing combo with Deku, adding acceleration to his attacks. Damn, now I'm even more excited to see them team up in a serious battle

A perfect combo breaker. Gravity Girl lightens Deku and Frog Girl already show to have the strength to carry people to save with her tounge throws Deku at the enemy.

IIda then plays the one distraction whilst Minoru uses his sticky grapes to slow down the enemies movement with well placed sticky grapes.

Theres a lot of room to explore different combos with the utility these young heros have.

DominoKid

Also I'll be glad when Kacchan stops being a massive dickhead. That or just turn heel.

Either one would actually make him likeable. I actually like his design the most though.

I felt it took awhile for this to come into it's own but I think it's getting stronger. Two things that bug me are:

• The setting. School or not it's largely contemporary Japan and that feels limited to me
  • This is the wordiest manga I've read in a long time. It can take up a third of the page sometimes

L00P

I thought this was going to be a story about an ordinary kid without any special abilities trying to become a superhero in a superhuman society. But then it turns into another one of many shounen comics where they go to high school to train and shit. What the hell was I expecting

I really dig the art stye, though. I'm getting Yusuke Murata-vibes all over it.

Puruzi

Banned
Saw this thread and started it.
I'm really digging the style, if it becomes an anime I hope they can emulate it well.

SalvaPot

A perfect combo breaker. Gravity Girl lightens Deku and Frog Girl already show to have the strength to carry people to save with her tounge throws Deku at the enemy.

IIda then plays the one distraction whilst Minoru uses his sticky grapes to slow down the enemies movement with well placed sticky grapes.

Theres a lot of room to explore different combos with the utility these young heros have.

The combo I'm more excited about is glasses guy + kacchan, I feel like they can make a really goof team if kacchan get his head out of his butt.

I know Bleach is incredibly popular but it feels wrong to have Ichigo in there. Its like if William Henry Harrison was on Mount Rushmore.

In my opinion is more of a legacy thing, hell, I'll argue Bleach was more tolerable than naruto in their worst arcs, but I dropped both eventually, so I can't really say. Point is all three series made lots of money and are bright in the hearts of a lot of fans.

I felt it took awhile for this to come into it's own but I think it's getting stronger. Two things that bug me are:

• The setting. School or not it's largely contemporary Japan and that feels limited to me
  • This is the wordiest manga I've read in a long time. It can take up a third of the page sometimes

They should be able to get out of school and even Japan eventually, I'm sure, if the story goes far enough. And I have to agree about the word count, that ammount of letters its usually reserved for Gintama or Hunter x Hunter. I'm really enjoying it for it, and it doesn't hurt the pacing, so I dig it.

Also I'll be glad when Kacchan stops being a massive dickhead. That or just turn heel.

Either one would actually make him likeable. I actually like his design the most though.

He seems to get the most character development so far, aside from deku, last episode
he was actually thinking up a plan and keeping calm, and if he actually starts thinking he will make for an awesome antagonist if he goes evil, even if its a little predictable

Desi

Like Onepunch Man meets Sky High sounds hype.

yep. Really the fact that so many people (80%) have quirks stops this from falling into X-men/Avatar territory.

I possiblity won't follow this seriously but it is fun at times. The lead dude mom hits me with the feels everytime she is on screen. I don't know why. Also love Sticky Grapes, he is totally awesome reminds me of Koichi from Jojo.

SalvaPot

yep. Really the fact that so many people (80%) have quirks stops this from falling into X-men/Avatar territory.

I possiblity won't follow this seriously but it is fun at times. The lead dude mom hits me with the feels everytime she is on screen. I don't know why. Also love Sticky Grapes, he is totally awesome reminds me of Koichi from Jojo.

When Deku's mom
got fat after the timeskip I lost it, it was so funny and unexpected, since she was the classic hot mom before that.

And Sticky Grapes is hilarious too, it reminds me of a pervy Lambo.

Nyoro SF

Just started, really enjoyable series so far. It has some familiar trappings but I like the progression and characters.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, are there multiple groups translating this? The one I found was really awkward and stilted, also called Quirks "Individualities" which really confused me at first as to what it was talking about.

Without spoiling too much, this series is not afraid to go in unexpected directions with its characters and believes that Hard work > Born Power

Isn't that, like, every Shonen series ever lol?

So, Sky High the Manga?

I'm in.

Haha, came in here to say just that.

Sky High is still a really fun film, imo. Watched it recently and still enjoyed it for what it was---the main character seemed like he might've had a career as an action star with that and that Jackie Chan/Jet Li film under his belt, but he's disappeared?

SalvaPot

So, are there multiple groups translating this? The one I found was really awkward and stilted, also called Quirks "Individualities" which really confused me at first as to what it was talking about.

The weird traslation is just for the first episode, from episode 2 and onwatd its way more consistent.

Qvoth

oh there's a new pretender to the throne?
been out of the manga scene for quite a while, will check this out
i knew the art style looks familiar from OP, turns out it's by that circus and bulge mangaka
both circus and bulge was very meh, let's see how this one will turn up

Zukuu

Banned
Sounds nice, although I can't identify with the protagonist. Why do they always need to be so small, feminine, without the least bit of muscles? I want a School Rumble kind of protagonist. Anyway, I hope it'll be turned into an anime so I can watch it.

Sounds nice, although I can't identify with the protagonist. Why do they always need to be so small, feminine, without the least bit of muscles? I want a School Rumble kind of protagonist. Anyway, I hope it'll be turned into an anime so I can watch it.

Well, they are usually pretty young, but even then they still have some pretty lean muscle

Top Bottom