• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Rainy

Banned
just reading ch 8 and infinity girl is cute haha.
also it had to be kacchan versus deku in this trial battle.

Ophelion

Found out about this manga because of this thread. I'm up through chapter 18 now. This manga rocks. I thought based on the premise that the main character would end up being a badass normal, like a Batman or a Hawkeye. Normal dude who can hang with the heroes. Buuuuuuuuuuuuut I guess I was really wrong about that. Made that surprise all the better when it happened though.

This manga has the sort of heart that's missing from a lot of western superhero comic books right now. Short as it is, it's punched me in the feels several times already and that's what I want from my beloved Superman comics. DC just don't deliver on that front anymore, though. They're all partying over there like it's 1994. At Image. WTF ever, DC.

*Ahem* But I digress. This manga is awesome, Infinate Girl is adorable and the earnestness of Deku is infectious. Love it, love it, love it.

Rainy

Banned
I was actually kind of surprised they fought so soon. Usually, the rival remains unchallenged for much longer.

Yeah totally.
I kinda like it though since it knocked a bit more sense into Kacchan.

On Ch. 14 currently, really like this series.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Found out about this manga because of this thread. I'm up through chapter 18 now. This manga rocks. I thought based on the premise that the main character would end up being a badass normal, like a Batman or a Hawkeye. Normal dude who can hang with the heroes. Buuuuuuuuuuuuut I guess I was really wrong about that. Made that surprise all the better when it happened though.

This manga has the sort of heart that's missing from a lot of western superhero comic books right now. Short as it is, it's punched me in the feels several times already and that's what I want from my beloved Superman comics. DC just don't deliver on that front anymore, though. They're all partying over there like it's 1994. At Image. WTF ever, DC.

*Ahem* But I digress. This manga is awesome, Infinate Girl is adorable and the earnestness of Deku is infectious. Love it, love it, love it.

his quirk is a last-resort thing, since it leaves him crippled. it forces him to rely more on his superb analitical abilities. it's interesting dynamic to me, he is probably more powerful than any of the students in his class, but his powers come at a cost whereas the others can use their powers with minimal consequences.

oh and yeah that part where he was devasted because his mom didn't encourage him to not give up on his dream but instead apologized to him gave me feels, shit was raw.

hohoXD123

Read up to chapter 21, the translations aren't that bad, but I'll probably reread them when the better quality scanlations are up.

This still feels like it'll be a fairly short manga. Sure, we get a sense that the main cast aren't in the same league as the pro heroes, but they're not too far off.

Nairume

Banned
Yeah, we fell behind pretty quickly because it took forever for somebody to get on the job of scanlating. Probably didn't help that the first chapter maybe didn't sell the series as well as it could have, but the rate at which it's been getting worked on since speaks to how good it ended up being :D

Again, it'd probably be better if SJA was doing it, but I guess they don't want to get burned like they did with Barrage ; _ ;

SalvaPot

To all the people who are saying thanks for recommending the series, you make me so happy! Its awesome how a lot of you are loving the series as much as I do!

So I just got up to chapter 21 and
I think the chapters delivered, we saw a glimpse of All Might full power even while nerfed and its both devastating and awesome. If Deku can get a hold of that power and add to it his analytic prowess Its going to be awesome!

Its also kind of amazing how all the big heroes got beaten badly for their students, really gives weight to the meaning of Hero, showing with their example the way for the students.

And finally, the team-ups so far have been really creative, I'm expecting than more than "Defined Teams" like in Naruto we will have context sensitive Team-ups, that means Deku Kacchan, or any of the others teaming up in different ways, interactive between them and adding to their character depending on their mission or what they are going against.

Also gotta love the suspense of "What is coming next", HandyFace whining about losing was a great twist and I'll love to see it animated someday

Mesoian

Very promising series indeed. Can't wait till Jump editors find some way to ruin the magic.

We find that this is all taking place in that city in the last chapter of Naruto.

I like what I've seen of this thus far though, It seems like it's going to be a fun series. I just hope they don't spend all this time building up a tropey traditional gang of students only to forget about 80% of them in the future when new storylines start up.

Aprico

Neo Member
Just started reading and man the translations in the first chapter were awkward. But, overall I'm really enjoying it.

Big One

Banned
So it looks like they're doing a version of the Choujin Olympics from Kinnikuman in the recent chapters, which more or less means it's probably going to be a tournament arc. Either way I can't wait to see what'll end up happening. You know this'll be a large arc and perhaps villains will make their appearance yet again.

Meffer

I'm really liking Deku, he feels very relatable and is very "real". He has great character that's just fantastic compared to his foil (that his power hurts him greatly). I get the feeling that this manga will be one of the Big Three. And Frog Girl is mah waifu, man. Hope she has a big role because of her popularity.

Big One

Banned
I'm really liking Deku, he feels very relatable and is very "real". He has great character that's just fantastic compared to his foil (that his power hurts him greatly). I get the feeling that this manga will be one of the Big Three. And Frog Girl is mah waifu, man. Hope she has a big role because of her popularity.
Yeah the manga legitimately has me wondering how he's going to become the next All Might. He's basically the weakest character in the entire series so he plays this very nice underdog role contrasting the more "hidden potential" roles other shonen protagonists have like Naruto for example.

Finally got to read chapter 18!

Thoughts:

-All Might is awesome. Great Superman-type hero, a real boyscout but not at all grating.

-I'm thinking Evil McLotsohands' eponymous decorations aren't related to his powers at all; one fell off without any noticeable effect. Maybe they're trophies?

-If it weren't for the kids, they
really would have ganked All Might.
Damn good plan.

-Speaking of which, some of the kids are a tad OP, fire/ice guy especially. They're supposed to be just starting out, but I'm not seeing a huge gap between them and the professionals.

Looking forward to chapter 19!

Puruzi

Banned
I also agree that Deku is a great protag. I love that even though he knows that he'll get hurt, he flies into action anyway

Infinity Girl > Frog Girl

Agreed about Deku, tho.

Yeah the manga legitimately has me wondering how he's going to become the next All Might. He's basically the weakest character in the entire series so he plays this very nice underdog role contrasting the more "hidden potential" roles other shonen protagonists have like Naruto for example.

Really? I think he's the poster boy for hidden potential. You just know that eventually he's going to get a handle on his powers, the question is a) when, and b) how will he survive until then?

Puruzi

Banned
Infinity Girl > Frog Girl

Agreed about Deku, tho.

Really? I think he's the poster boy for hidden potential. You just know that eventually he's going to get a handle on his powers, the question is a) when, and b) how will he survive until then?

He's def going to survive with his wits, dude is pretty intelligent

TEJ

Now this sounds like my kind of manga.

I'm assuming that I can't buy it in English legally right? I don't understand much Japanese at all.

Raxus

I'm assuming that I can't buy it in English legally right? I don't understand much Japanese at all.

It is not selling in the US print yet but doing very well in Japan. Don't be surprised if it finds its way over here soon.

It is not selling in the US print yet but doing very well in Japan. Don't be surprised if it finds its way over here soon.

probably near the end of spring at the earliest is when I expect Viz to put it up on the NA WSJ subscription site

SalvaPot

Episode 23 is up

I'm really digging the characterization of Ochako, and I never noticed her power was because of her fingerpads.

Also I like how Ice/Fire dude is starting to see Deku as a rival, proves more interesting than Kacchan. Wonder what kind of events we are going to see on the Sports Festival.
\

Also, Kouhei Hirokoshi (The author) made this:

10476661_1024056010954533_1006558080335772337_o.jpg

Panzon

Woah I hadn't stumbled on this thread but now Im glad I did. This looks fun as hell.

Thanks OP! Gonna check it out when I get home

My go-to finally got 21, 22, 23, and 24, so I'm all up to date!

Thoughts:

The conclusion to the villain attack was a little underwhelming. Can't say I'm digging the professional heroes that much, though admittedly all I've got to go off of is their costumes. The gunmask cowboy looks cool, the rest... not so much :p Is that one S&M lady actually supposed to be bare breasted? Looked that way in the start of the Sports Festival.

That reminds me: this manga is starting to poke one of my pet peeves, where the premise has a globe-spanning implication, but Japan is basically the only thing looked at. I mean, I get it, the author is Japanese, write what you know, etc, but still. The Olympics being replaced in Japan with the Yuuei sports festival was odd at first, then I remembered how huge highschool baseball is there, so the precedent makes sense, at least.

Infinity Girl's character is a lot more interesting now that we get where she's coming from, and even Kacchan picked up some more interesting nuance with the "backing himself into a corner" bit. Not sure what to think about Fire and Ice guy, other than the fact that he's kind of hilariously OP compared to the rest of the school-age cast. Interested in seeing who his father turns out to be. All Might, maybe? Looking forward to seeing what Sena Midoriya does to deal with the giant robots.

Curious, what's the spoiler policy?

SalvaPot

Thoughts:

The conclusion to the villain attack was a little underwhelming. Can't say I'm digging the professional heroes that much, though admittedly all I've got to go off of is their costumes. The gunmask cowboy looks cool, the rest... not so much :p Is that one S&M lady actually supposed to be bare breasted? Looked that way in the start of the Sports Festival.

That reminds me: this manga is starting to poke one of my pet peeves, where the premise has a globe-spanning implication, but Japan is basically the only thing looked at. I mean, I get it, the author is Japanese, right what you know, etc, but still. The Olympics being replaced in Japan with the Yuuei sports festival was odd at first, then I remembered how huge highschool baseball is there, so the precedent makes sense, at least.

Infinity Girl's character is a lot more interesting now that we get where she's coming from, and even Kacchan picked up some more interesting nuance with the "backing himself into a corner" bit. Not sure what to think about Fire and Ice guy, other than the fact that he's kind of hilariously OP compared to the rest of the school-age cast. Interested in seeing who his father turns out to be. All Might, maybe? Looking forward to seeing what Sena Midoriya does to deal with the giant robots.

Since the series is new, everything is considered a spoiler. Maybe when the manga is released in the USA (or an anime comes) we can start relaxing about them.

SalvaPot

Oh damn, episode 24 is also up, what a time to be alive! Will edit with impressions.

So we got an Obstacle Course for our first test! I'm kinda disappointed that the whole focus is in class 1-A, I wanted to see another character from the other classes to prove a challenge, but I get it, Ice/Fire guy is taking the focus right now. And damn, I want to know who his father is. My money is in the Principal.

Nasser

Need to catch up with this. I wish English Shonen Jump would pick it up now! it's gaining popularity like crazy outside of Japan right now.

Sou Da

Thoughts:

That reminds me: this manga is starting to poke one of my pet peeves, where the premise has a globe-spanning implication, but Japan is basically the only thing looked at. I mean, I get it, the author is Japanese, write what you know, etc, but still. The Olympics being replaced in Japan with the Yuuei sports festival was odd at first, then I remembered how huge highschool baseball is there, so the precedent makes sense, at least.

I don't think she's bare breasted, she just needs some shading on her boobsock to indicate that it's cloth. I remember having the same visual problem with one of the characters before.

Top Bottom