• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Half-Life 3" on Valves bug tracker confirms HL3 is in dev (46dev), L4D3 hits 71 devs

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No shit HL3 is "Steam exclusive". They haven't released a game that didn't require Steam for ten years.

You're not factoring in consoles; those who assume HL3 will be Steam-exclusive, at least in a manner similar to HL2, are.

StuBurns

Banned
I remember Doug Lombardi talking about why they switched to doing episodes for HL2 instead of a normal HL3, and he said something about HL1 and 2 taking double the time, and double the budget, originally projected, and if that continued HL3 would take like a decade. If it ships next year, as I imagine it will, that will have only been seven years. Very respectable for Valve.

JaseC

I remember Doug Lombardi talking about why they switched to doing episodes for HL2 instead of a normal HL3, and he said something about HL1 and 2 taking double the time, and double the budget, originally projected, and if that continued HL3 would take like a decade. If it ships next year, as I imagine it will, that will have only been seven years. Very respectable for Valve.

My guess is Q4 2015 at the earliest, which itself may prove to be generous depending on where development stands at the moment, given L4D3 seems to be further along and apparently has a shipping team on it (Wolpaw's thrown around the phrase "60 to 70-person shipping team" once or twice and Portal 2 maxed out at around 80 people). I don't see Valve releasing two AAA titles in a single year (there's the Orange Box, sure, but the new content was bite-size: an expansion, a few-hour experimental puzzle game, and an MP-only title).

StuBurns

Banned
My guess is Q4 2015 at the earliest, which itself may prove to be generous depending on where development stands at the moment, given L4D3 seems to be further along and apparently has a shipping team on it (Wolpaw's thrown around the phrase "60 to 70-person shipping team" once or twice and Portal 2 maxed out at around 80 people). I don't see Valve releasing two AAA titles in a single year.
That would suck, also, I think L4D3 is a weak way to reveal Source 2. L4D3 might have more staff now, but HL3 has had a team on it since L4D1 was in development. It shouldn't need such a huge staff to round it off.

Who knows, I just hope we at least see it next year.

JaseC

That would suck, also, I think L4D3 is a weak way to reveal Source 2. L4D3 might have more staff now, but HL3 has had a team on it since L4D1 was in development. It shouldn't need such a huge staff to round it off.

Who knows, I just hope we at least see it next year.

Gabe's "Ricochet 2" comment about how announcing a game before it's primed would frustrate people as it's liable to go through twists and turns suggested to me that there wasn't a clear vision for Half-Life 3 until (relatively) recently. That said, though, I imagine most of the work that went into Episode Three would have been carried over since HL3 is undoubtedly going to pick up where Episode Two left off -- you can't have an ending like that and just gloss over the narrative fallout.

StuBurns

Banned
Gabe's "Ricochet 2" comment about how announcing a game before it's primed would frustrate people as it's liable to go through twists and turns suggested to me that there wasn't a clear vision for Half-Life 3 until (relatively) recently. That said, though, I imagine most of the work that went into Episode Three would have been carried over since HL3 is undoubtedly going to pick up where Episode Two left off -- you can't have an ending like that and just gloss over the narrative fallout.
I imagine some major blue balls opening. Like the hunting scene in TLoU. They're too cruel not to.

I think L4D3 is a weak way to reveal Source 2

It depends. If Church and Hocking have a big role in its development then it could push some interesting things.

Of course I too wouldn't mind if they premiered it with HL like they did back at E3.

I'm really curious how they're going to handle Alyx. Infinite got a lot of criticism on how Elizabeth returned to her normal routines after serious, emotional scenes like nothing happened. Are Valve going to address this? Is the game just going pick up from the end of Ep2 or are they going to flashforward a bit?

SmartBase

Yes? Half-Life 2 scratched the Half-Life 2 itch superbly, but don't forget for a moment that it was a serious departure from Half-Life and its expansions. Half-Life 3 is that clean slate opportunity again.

Of course, if anything, I applaud them for taking their sweet time with it.

It's a silly analogy but it feels like a TV show cancellation after a cliffhanger ending and having the producers hinting at continuation while everyone involved just grows old.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm really curious how they're going to handle Alyx. Infinite got a lot of criticism on how Elizabeth returned to her normal routines after serious, emotional scenes like nothing happened. Are Valve going to address this? Is the game just going pick up from the end of Ep2 or are they going to flashforward a bit?
They already did it previously, after her incident in the train, she's freaked, and has to stop to collect herself emotionally.

They're already beyond Elizabeth, they're just going to be way beyond this time.

Sibylus

Banned
It's a silly analogy but it feels like a TV show cancellation after a cliffhanger ending and having the producers hinting at continuation while everyone involved just grows old.
Much easier to do when said TV show involves suspended animation, alternate universes, and tonally disparate parts ;)

EVIL

Has Valve confirmed that they were developing Half-Life 3?
Well.. they have been clever about it. I mean stuff has leaked but they have managed to avoid saying the words themselves. Its pretty much a given that its in development, looking at the bugtracker, etc.

HariKari

Hasn't Gabe himself confirmed it was in development in an interview, but they used the clever(lol) disguised name "Ricochet 2"?

I know there's a video on Youtube but I can't find it...

http://youtu.be/TS9zD_LPhw0

There you go. Paraphrasing here: We haven't locked down the design or what we want to do (Spring 2012) so we have nothing to say yet, because that's best for the fans. So the latest flurry perhaps indicate they are comfortable committing to a direction.

JaseC

Please link one of them. I've seen them use hints and implications but nothing concrete. This JIRA thing is easily the best indication of its current state.

If you're after something to the effect of "Yes, we at Valve are working on Half-Life 3", then you're not going to find it; unlike Episode Three, the game hasn't even been announced.

img-108228-1-Reggie-Fils-Aime-Talks-Telephones.jpg

AkuMifune

Banned
...allowing us to identify that the trademark's listing was more than likely a hoax intended to generate fake buzz for a game which is unlikely to appear for several years.

Only several years away!

TeoLolstoi

Neo Member
Why is everyone automatically assume that removing it from the database means it's fake? I'm not much of an expert on law, but my guess would be that you can make things invisible so, you know, not everyone can see into everyone else's business plan.

Also it would be absurd for an international law firm to just file a trademark?

Top Bottom