• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GWENT closed beta now underway

interesting. didn't think that'd be the case since it goes through gog galaxy. so if someone where to use an xbox code and link it to their gog account it'll show up as owned on pc as well?
You're correct that the gog version isn't play anywhere. They're gonna release a uwp version later that will be.

Ken Adams

11ocspg.png

PM sent. Enjoy.

the wurm

Neo Member
Played my first few games last night. Played 4, won 4. 3 of the people quit before the match was over. One guy quit after he had had the lead in round 3, skipped his turn as he had nothing of value left to play and I used my last two turns to take the lead with my very last card. The game was over and he still quit out the second he saw the lead change. Is it that hard to sit through an additional 15 seconds?

I hope this mindset doesn't carry over into full release community. People need to learn how to lose. I play a lot of rocket league and there are a lot of people who forfeit when they think they can't win or if they're down 2 goals with less than 30 seconds left.

It's almost like some of these people have never played a competitive activity in real life. If I'm playing pickup basketball and I'm on the losing team I'm not just gonna walk off the court before the game is over. Learn how to lose people.

Sorian

Banned
Played 2 games and scorch bugged out, good thing it's still beta.
edac63f0bb4047518337b8950fe1604f.png

Scorch should remove that right? It's not golden, but nothing was actually removed by scorch

That 5 card right next to the one you are targeting was face down before you used scorch, correct? It negates the next special card played.

Kuosi

That 5 card right next to the one you are targeting was face down before you used scorch, correct? It negates the next special card played.
No it was triggered before that already, there was 0 visual effects on the board for the scorch

Cat Party

Does anyone know if it is possible to share your library between PC and XB1 in the beta? I have been playing on XB1 but I have a PC code as well.

Sorian

Banned
No it was triggered before that already, there was 0 visual effects on the board for the scorch

The bug is probably related to that card over scorch if I had to guess. Never seen a scorch issue in any game I've played and I actually just got that scoia card in a pack last night. I'll play with it a bit later today and see if I can recreate the same.

rac

Banned
Does anyone know if it is possible to share your library between PC and XB1 in the beta? I have been playing on XB1 but I have a PC code as well.

Doesn't look like it based on the FAQ

Do you support cross-play and cross-buy, i.e. purchasing items on platform A and using them on platform B?
We can confirm cross-play between Xbox One and PC -- all other options are being discussed. When GWENT launches on Windows 10 as an UWP application, the account between UWP and Xbox One will be shared. That means progress and cards are shared between both platforms.

Did you get both codes at the same time?

Had a few games so far. I can see monster being less annoying once we get more cards but for the moment the Eredin pass strat is too effective. Begging someone to over-commit and then already being ahead for the next round where they absolutely have to win. I should craft that Ciri card when I get the chance. It's one of the cheaper gold cards

RDreamer

Got in and played my first match. Oh my god this is going to be so addicting! They need a phone version ASAP.

I am getting a lot of clicking problems and things not registering. Don't know if it's the game or my hardware. I am playing on a Microsoft surface pro 3, I think. It's my finances. (I use Mac stuff). Had to turn the graphics down but I don't care about that. Also, for info the clicking problems are with actual keyboard and trackpad not touchscreen clicks not registering.

I got a real shit-heel Foltest deck, that while not perfect, has been winning games consistently.

Basically, it involves pumping up a Reinforced Trebuchet (does 2 damage every other turn at random) on the first turn. The idea is to goad the opponent into using like at least half their hand. When they end, I hopefully have a Reinforced Treb somewhere around 25+. Then, I use Adrenaline Rush to save it for next turn, dupe it with Foltest's ability, then Promote it so it can't be Scorched or Rained on. So I win the first turn, then I have two gold Trebs that do 4 damage every other turn to the enemy.

Obviously, the downfalls are if someone kills them early in the first round, then I have to try to pump up something else, but assuming I get Adrenaline Rush and Promo at the start (hasn't been much of a problem thus far), its been pretty solid.

lionpants

Seems weird that the cards come in kegs.

In the picture it shows cards piling out of the kegs, but in reality there are 5 cards in the keg. Why waste a keg to hold 5 small cards?

sam777

I got a real shit-heel Foltest deck, that while not perfect, has been winning games consistently.

Basically, it involves pumping up a Reinforced Trebuchet (does 2 damage every other turn at random) on the first turn. The idea is to goad the opponent into using like at least half their hand. When they end, I hopefully have a Reinforced Treb somewhere around 25+. Then, I use Adrenaline Rush to save it for next turn, dupe it with Foltest's ability, then Promote it so it can't be Scorched or Rained on. So I win the first turn, then I have two gold Trebs that do 4 damage every other turn to the enemy.

Obviously, the downfalls are if someone kills them early in the first round, then I have to try to pump up something else, but assuming I get Adrenaline Rush and Promo at the start (hasn't been much of a problem thus far), its been pretty solid.

I do something similar, sometimes with an added potion, it is a really good tactic.

Cat Party

Kinda surprised there aren't more people talking about this game. This is the first Hearthstone competitor that might actually take it on.

Card Boy

Banned
i'm confused between cross play. Do unlocks i make in the Xbox version go to the PC version? Are there seperate GOG and Windows 10 Store versions? or they the same? The site FAQ doesn't mention this.

The code i got said the game is ready to be downloaded on my Xbox.

i'm confused between cross play. Do unlocks i make in the Xbox version go to the PC version? Are there seperate GOG and Windows 10 Store versions? or they the same? The site FAQ doesn't mention this.
There's a whole huge section of the FAQ about it underneath the technical requirements.

But the summary is that yes, there will eventually be a Windows 10 store version separate from the gog version that will have your unlocks from Xbox, but it hasn't been released yet.

The gog version is separate and won't carry your profile over to the xbox or windows 10 versions. gog and Xbox players do play against each other though.

i don't feel like playing it too much until i can buy more cards. their store system isn't working for me

the closeness of the matches is probably higher than any other card game on the market, so it might be fun

but looking through the full card list, i'm not convinced the game has much depth. it seems to rely on the trick of making you feel progression by unlocking new cards, but what happens once you get a complete deck? i think the game will become stale faster than other card games because it seems like there's like one best deck per character

Card Boy

Banned
There's a whole huge section of the FAQ about it underneath the technical requirements.

But the summary is that yes, there will eventually be a Windows 10 store version separate from the gog version that will have your unlocks from Xbox, but it hasn't been released yet.

The gog version is separate and won't carry your profile over to the xbox or windows 10 versions. gog and Xbox players do play against each other though.

I think the GOG version is the looser here i think unless the GOG version somehow has more players than any other platform. Carrying over my unlocks from one platform to another is very important to me.

Sorian

Banned
i don't feel like playing it too much until i can buy more cards. their store system isn't working for me

the closeness of the matches is probably higher than any other card game on the market, so it might be fun

but looking through the full card list, i'm not convinced the game has much depth. it seems to rely on the trick of making you feel progression by unlocking new cards, but what happens once you get a complete deck? i think the game will become stale faster than other card games because it seems like there's like one best deck per character

The bottom is true but I think what people forget is there is 12 characters, not 4. The big swing is the special cards, each deck is going to have room for a certain amount and it's how you use those that will cause the biggest battles, which is why I find it interesting that scoia has a whole deck centered on special cards, that may become real OP when people are looking at mostly full decks.

I think the GOG version is the looser here i think unless the GOG version somehow has more players than any other platform. Carrying over my unlocks from one platform to another is very important to me.
For your purposes I'd definitely skip the GOG version. But for people like me that have no interest in an XBox, especially with so many releases coming to PC anyways, I'm totally fine with the GOG version.

I r gud at the Gwent.

https://youtu.be/14O4UlYZjrg

I'd say this deck has probably a 75%+ win rate for me. I'd guess half my wins are usually someone forfeiting at the start of the second round.

On another note, the built in Xbox app for Windows 10 sucks at recording. There's only two quality settings and even High settings looks compressed as hell.

Wagram

I love Gwent. I sink too many hours into this shit.

Still maining Skellige with a Queensguard/Wounding combination.

Stiler

Sunk about 8 hours or so into this, really fun.

Though I wish they would have kept the original "look" to it, where it looks like you're playing it on an old wooden table and just feels more "authentic" rather then the super clean/colorful look the game has now.

I am maining the Skellige deck and loving it. Once you get the hang of the mechanics each deck feels quite different.

Nothing like having someone use lacerate on an entire row of your melee units then you pull out your war cry card and double all your wounded cards.

Wagram

Feel better about my playing today. I had over a 2 to 1 win rate. Yesterday was a massacre. My nightmare opponent deck is Northern Realms. The shit that deck can do is annoying.

Exentryk

I spent a few hours playing last night. Tried out all the decks, and pretty much all of decks are playable and can win. I started sticking with Skellige at the end, and it was working well.

I had a question. I unlocked a few cards via Kegs (like a 2nd Commander's Horn, Henselt Gold card), but I wasn't able to use them in the deck? What gives?

squidyj

I think what I want to work toward is a skellige res deck.
res is disgusting because you get to play your card effects when you pull them from the graveyard so playing more resurrect effects should have an exponential effect.

there's also some good draw/discard mechanics in skellige especially with king bran's power,

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I r gud at the Gwent.

https://youtu.be/14O4UlYZjrg

I'd say this deck has probably a 75%+ win rate for me. I'd guess half my wins are usually someone forfeiting at the start of the second round.

On another note, the built in Xbox app for Windows 10 sucks at recording. There's only two quality settings and even High settings looks compressed as hell.

Jeez, I kept wondering how you were going to win the third round without any damage cards left, and then whabam. That seems a bit overpowered.

squidyj

Jeez, I kept wondering how you were going to win the third round without any damage cards left, and then whabam. That seems a bit overpowered.

just wait until you have the opponent laughing to himself the whole time as he sits on scorch.

Edit:hmmmm, I should consider running a clear weather or two in my res deck, if things work out I pile up a lot of power in the siege row, be a shame if something rekt me there

Holden

just wait until you have the opponent laughing to himself the whole time as he sits on scorch.

Edit:hmmmm, I should consider running a clear weather or two in my res deck, if things work out I pile up a lot of power in the siege row, be a shame if something rekt me there

thats why u spam all your stuff AFTER you won the round, then you promote them

squidyj

I think I just had my first ragequit =D
"Your opponent's connection was lost and they were forced to forfeit"

Immediately after I played a res card that put 23 strength into play

Why would scorch matter? He promotes them too.

you can't promote on the same turn as anything else and promote has to be the last thing you do in the sequence, you can't interact with the card after that. if you know what's coming you can wait for a few things

20+ card power invested in one card
the adrenaline rush
the foltest power.

scorch punishes all of these investments hard, and when played at the right time promote can't do shit about it.

thats why u spam all your stuff AFTER you won the round, then you promote them

I think taking the round with all of this combo in your hand without exposing yourself is pretty fuckiing dicey.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I didn't like the Scoia'tael deck in the main game and it looks like I won't be friends with it here too.

Skellige could be a cool deck, but I need more cards! :O

Top Bottom