• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

curb

Banned
defenders.jpg

Can't even look at the camera Finn? You had one job.

LaNaranja

I saw a bit of Incredible Hulk on cinemax today and man I cannot even imagine what the MCU would have been like with Norton instead of Ruffalo.

tomtom94

Team Cap wins this imo

Not gonna lie I thought the "putting a team together" bit was silly. Reminded me of how Fox decided they had to throw some random mutants into that awful Wolverine Origins movie. And yes, I know Thor had the Warriors Three. Just weird to sell a solo movie partly on the people he teams up with.

Just_one

so my theory regarding Thanos...

In the comics Thanos wants to control the universe to impress Death.

In the Thor Ragnarok trailer Hela (Cate Blanchett) says she´s the goddess of Death.

In the first scene of the leaked Avengers Infinity War trailer , you see Thor almost dead and the Guardians save him.

So...what if in the end of Thor Ragnarok Thanos shows up and destroys Asgard and almost kills Thor in the process leading up to that scene in the trailer?

makes sense right?

GAMEPROFF

Banned

In the Thor Ragnarok trailer Hela (Cate Blanchett) says she´s the goddess of Death.

In the first scene of the leaked Avengers Infinity War trailer , you see Thor almost dead and the Guardians save him.

So...what if in the end of Thor Ragnarok Thanos shows up and destroys Asgard and almost kills Thor in the process leading up to that scene in the trailer?

makes sense right?

At this point, I hope they en up beeing somekind a merged character

jph139

If they wanted to go the asshole Banner route, I think Norton would've delivered on that better than Ruffalo. Ruffalo is too likable.

Yeah, Norton plays a great "man on the ledge" Banner. The sort of guy where the Hulk represents his true self - just anger and resentment and desperation, barely held back under the surface.

But the MCU Hulk is a more "misunderstood monster" Hulk, so Ruffalo fits. Hulk is ultimately a good guy and an Avenger.

Personally I prefer the Norton interpretation but the dude was never gonna be a team player. The actor or the character.

strafer

Am I the only one who likes Ang Lees Hulk movie? It was my first introduction to The Hulk and I remember being blown away when I watched it, it was so cool.

Also remember Jennifer Connelly being beautiful.

dh4niel

Am I the only one who likes Ang Lees Hulk movie? It was my first introduction to The Hulk and I remember being blown away when I watched it, it was so cool.

I thought it was okay but after recently watching the nostalgic critic review it blew my mind how awful it really is. Awful comic book panel editing and some of the worst performances I've ever seen.

jmood88

I loved it at the time but I was also a child and I haven't seen it since it was in theaters, so I have no idea how it would hold up if I saw it now.

Fhtagn

makes sense right?

It does make sense and I was thinking along similar lines:

The Guardians are likely having a "this used to be a planet but now it's an asteroid cloud, what the hell?" Alderaan kind of moment. It could be Asgard, or Xandar, which has an infinity stone, or somewhere we haven't seen before, but wherever it is, they got hired to intervene in something major and get there too late.

Xandar makes sense because the GotG would get called if Thanos showed up. But that'd complicate introducing Nova later.

Pachimari

I still haven't seen it, but now that you remind me of it, I really want to. Should probably get around to it soon.

jph139

I feel like I'd enjoy the Ang Lee Hulk in theory, but I've tried to get though it a few times now and just... can't. I tap out halfway through every time.

I'm sure there's merit in there somewhere but man is it a slog.

Pachimari

The Defenders review embargo is lifting today. It'll be for the first 4 episodes.

Empire Online - ★★★
And, we’re sorry to report, the big threat that unites the group proves a mild disappointment. Alexandra feels like yet another businessperson baddie whose dirty deeds are hidden by sharp suits, while the ongoing, vague chicanery of The Hand (like HYDRA, but ninjas) fails to ignite much excitement. Indeed, the peerless Sigourney Weaver herself seems desperately bored by it all.

You claimed they have planned out everything ten years in advance. That is clearly not the case, given that movies have been added and removed. Now you instead talk about how amazing he is and how everything makes sense, which is amusing, given that we recently had the discussion how the timeline with Homecoming doesn't really work out.

Like, is the whole Fury explanation a big thing? No, not at all, it's insignificant. Is it possibly something that wasn't planned ten years in advance? Absolutely.

Civil War is the perfect example of they do have a plan in place. However it's not one plan but multiple.

Had they never struck a deal for Spider-Man, they had a another script ready to go with extra BP scenes.

Pachimari

Joe Russo Explains Why Thanos Needs His Black Order
"We get inspired by a lot of different material when we’re working on the movie. We pulled from both Infinity runs for this, and look, there are a scary bunch of characters who I happen to think, when I read the Infinity run, were super cool. And when I got the opportunity to make this movie, I said I have to do the Black Order. You know, we have so many characters and Thanos needs to be teased out. You can’t have the characters challenging him every step of the way. There has to be characters that they have to go through to get to him. The Black Order is the perfect cast of characters to do that with.”

Avengers: Infinity War Co-Director Teases High Stakes & Imminent Deaths
"My brother [Anthony Russo] and I believe in stakes," Joe admitted. "I believe that everything has to have an end at some point in order for it to have value. The audience should be prepared."

Iron Fist's Costume Will Make Sense After The Defenders
“From the beginning where we see Danny in Iron Fist to where he ends up in The Defenders, he has made that complete origin arc,” Jones reflected. “He has shed his immature self. The idea is, in The Defenders, he has in a sense become the Iron Fist.”

Kevin Feige Reveals How The MCU Avoids Superhero Fatigue
“I mean really, all I worry about are the films that we make and the films that we can. control. And nobody would get fatigued more than all of us at Marvel Studios,” Feige told Variety after Marvel Studios’ annual Hall H panel at San Diego Comic Con. “We live this, we breathe this 24-hours a day, 7-days a week.”

Kevin Feige Explains Why The Kree/Skrull War Is Finally Coming To The MCU

Pachimari

We Got This Covered - ★★★★
While not as revelatory as The Avengers (that kind of a game-changer can really only occur once), the show likely presents everything fans have been hoping for. From a narrative and thematic standpoint, The Defenders feels like a turning point for each of these characters, as their four paths intertwine in the face of their biggest challenge yet. From a production standpoint, the show has flaws — bizarre camera angles, inconsistent fight choreography, etc. — but none of that's a deal-breaker, especially when you're dealing with characters as complex and fascinating as those at the center of The Defenders.

441mania - 9/10
It's hard to judge The Defenders without watching the complete seasons. The show definitely seems to have the format of one long continuous story. The Defenders comes off more like an eight-hour movie than an episodic series. The tradeoff here is that while there's no filler at all here, it's hard to judge the parts of a picture that is clearly not complete. Regardless, based on the first four episodes, I can't wait to see what Marvel has in store for the rest of The Defenders.

Feige's confirmed that Spider-Man: Spring Formal is going to be the official beginning to Phase 4.
”So much happens in [the 3rd and 4th Avengers movies], as you can imagine, and so much is affected by it that we felt what better person to hold your hand and lead you into the next incarnation of the MCU, in a grounded, realistic manner, than Peter Parker?" Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige told io9. ”So, coming out two months after Untitled Avengers, [that's what] much of what the next Spider-Man film will be about."

”It was purposefully done like this," Feige continued. ”Like how the events of Captain America: Civil War impacted Peter as he was dropped off by Tony and expected to go back to continue his sophomore year, how the hell are the events of Infinity War and Untitled [Avengers] going to affect him as he, yes, goes back to his junior year?"
Feige admitted that Marvel has already broken down the timeline of the four movies as it relates to Peter Parker's life. They have all the big beats. It's just going to be a matter of figuring out the details.

”Much like, as we went into Homecoming, we knew all the general pillars, you then need the magic of the writers and directors to bring it all to life," Feige said. ”So we're in that same position and we'll actually start putting pen to paper on the next Spider-Man film in the coming weeks once this film is finally released. But we do know the specifics and the time line."

As for the rest of the films in Phase 4? Outside of Spider-Man, Feige doesn't think any announcements will be made until after Avengers 4.

Pachimari

As for the rest of the films in Phase 4? Outside of Spider-Man, Feige doesn’t think any announcements will be made until after Avengers 4.
Yeah, that's what I've been feeling. We are nowhere near any new movie announcements. There's no need for it either honestly, as we already know Spider-Man 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 are on the way.

Yeah, that's what I've been feeling. We are nowhere near any new movie announcements. There's no need for it either honestly, as we already know Spider-Man 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 are on the way.
Last thing we need is a solid idea of how the MCU looks after this, I want to worry about the characters. We know they wont kill off someone else's character and GOTG could be any combination.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm wondering what movie surprises they will have more phase 4. Of course we will have stuff like Spider-Man 2, Guardians 3, Doctor Strange 2, Ant-Man and The Wasp 3, Black Panther 2 and Captain Marvel 2 but what else? The cool thing about the Marvel announcements is that not only are we getting everything, aside from Inhumans but that's a special case, so an announcement of future movies is something we know we will get. While I did like the DC announcement they recently showed, I'm not really sure if some of those movies will actually come out, and without a date, it's kinda like 'who cares'.

Pachimari

Collider - ★★★
It's something new, but it has a lot of problems. It's a tonal mishmash as it brings these characters together (including a very cringe-worthy decision to play hip hop every time we see Luke in the first hour when no one else gets a soundtrack — we get it, guys; he's black), but the interactions among the heroes are always great. There's just not enough of it to start, and it takes too long for them to team-up. If you thought Defenders would be a culminating chapter to the other Netflix Marvel series so far, think again. So far it feels like another prelude, and it makes one wonder if we'll ever get to the main event.

This Is Insider - B
When they all finally come together, fans may be sad to learn the mini-series will already be halfway over. Unlike every other 13-episode Marvel Netflix series, "The Defenders" is a short eight episodes, making you wish they all came together sooner. Since the first four episodes are a bit slow, I'm concerned the next four may feel rushed to take down the organization both Iron Fist and Daredevil have been trying to take down for seasons. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

[edit] Screw it, I've made a thread for the reviews:
The Defenders - Reviews Thread.

Top Bottom