• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

JDSN

Banned
Luffy punching the Tenryuubito is really the most satisfying moment of the series, and what happened after that was great too.

dabig2

Himuro said:
Grandjedi, do you have a list of what episodes are and aren't filler? I'm going to be giving all of One Piece to a friend, and I'd like him to be wary.

One Piece Wikia episode guide my friend

They list ever single episode color-coded to your satisfaction detailing all specials, fillers, half-fillers and cannon-related episodes. Complete with a detailed synopsis for ever episode too. Very handy.

Though I say give the G8 filler arc a chance. Very tolerable filler.

kaizoku said:
the bellamy punch was cool, but I never saw bellamy as a threat, as far as I was concerned luffy won that fight in the bar, and bellamy's crushing of dreams etc revealed he wasn't a pirate of any significance, they were just like school bullies.

Well the nice part about the Bellamy punch was the fact that unlike the Tenryuubito Bellamy still "felt" like some sort of typical story arc villain.

He was a somewhat notorious pirate and had a devil fruit power, although he obviously wasn't a major threat, he had most of the features you'd expect from a typical villain.

Then when Luffy finally fights him, Bellamy goes down in a single punch.

Obviously it wasn't a defining moment on a global scale, like punching the Tenryuubito was, but in my mind the whole Bellamy arc was pretty darn good for character building.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Himuro said:
I decided to compile my own list.

Canon:

1-53
61-97
103-130
144-195
207-212
217-219
227-278
284-290
293-316
320-325
337-381
385-405
408-410

Filler:

54-60 - Apis Arc - SKIP
98-99 - Arabasta filler - Decent filler
101-102 - Arabasta filler - Good filler
131 - Chopper filler - Good filler
132 - Nami filler - Good filler
133 - Sanji filler - Decent filler
134 - Usopp filler - Decent filler
135 - Zoro filler - Good filler
136-138 - Goat Island Arc - Decent filler
139-143 - Rainbow Mist Arc - Great filler
196-206 - G-8 Arc - Excellent filler
213-216 - Davy Back Fight filler - SKIP
279-283 - Recap - SKIP
291-292 - Boss Luffy filler - decent filler
317-319 - Post-Water 7 filler - SKIP
326-336 - Ice Hunter arc - SKIP
382-383 - Foxy filler - SKIP
384 - Brooke filler - Decent filler
406-407 - Boss Luffy - Decent filler
A few fillers you missed:

220-224 - Ocean's Dream
225-226 - Foxy's Return
303 - Boss Luffy
336 - Chopperman

Well 101 can't be skipped completely as the end of the episode has Ace's departure and the vivrecard scene.

Also, the Ice Hunters arc isn't that bad. Not to say that its good or anything but its at least better than some of the other fillers you deemed decent imo.

After being turned off by the art for a long time, I have only just started this series--my plan is to catch up with the anime first and then go into the manga.

I'm up to episode 68, I just finished up the Whiskey Peak arc.

Holy shit this series is awesome and only seems to be getting better. It blows my mind that there are hundreds of episodes more of pure awesome.

himuro said:
54-60 - Apis Arc - SKIP
101-102 - Arabasta filler - Good filler
279-283 - Recap - SKIP
326-336 - Ice Hunter arc - SKIP
Thanks, this will be useful. I wasn't sure which fillers were worth watching and which weren't.

grandjedi6 said:
A few fillers you missed:

220-224 - Ocean's Dream
225-226 - Foxy's Return
303 - Boss Luffy
336 - Chopperman

Well 101 can't be skipped completely as the end of the episode has Ace's departure and the vivrecard scene.

Also, the Ice Hunters arc isn't that bad
. Not to say that its good or anything but its at least better than some of the other fillers you deemed decent imo.
agreed. Actually i see no reason to skip anything at all but i guess i am the only person who liked the general mood of the anime enough to not want to skip anything...heck i could watch fillers of the strawhats screwing around all day.

grandjedi6

Himuro said:
I'm up to 408. Almost caught up with the anime even though I'm caught up with the manga.

I find it hilarious the amount of times I've heard,"ZORO...NAMI...USSOP...SANJI..CHOPPER..ROBIN..FRANKY...BROOK" in the past few episodes. :lol

Did the manga do this at this part of the story? Because I don't remember :lol
Yeah, Luffy did the whole "Zoro.. Nami...ect." thing while flying through the sky in the manga too.

Most are pretty decent and watchable. Honestly the only thing you really need to skip is the Apis arc, which is directly before Laboon/Whiskey Peak and after Loguetown. It's awful.
Also the Apis has the distinction of messing up continuity the most of all the filler arcs. Admirals, Dragons... just UGHH. The entire thing just needs to be officially retconned out of existance considering it has already been informally done.

How 'bout this Grandjedi:

Canon:

1-53
61-97
100-130
144-195
207-212
217-219
227-278
284-290
293-316
320-325
337-381
385-405
408-410

Filler:

54-60 - Apis Arc - SKIP
220-224 - Ocean's Dream - Decent filer
279-283 - Recap - SKIP
303 - Boss Luffy filler - Decent filler
326-335 - Ice Hunter arc - Decent filler
336 - Chopperman - Decent filler
Looks good to me. The only thing you still missed was the shitty Foxy filler in episodes 225 & 226, but you didn't list them in the canon section either so its all good :D

grandjedi6

Himuro said:
Gosh I love Hancock. :lol

I am still throwing Hancock into the pool; she's the next Strawhat.
2rpv0ib.gif
25a3ds2.gif

dfypn6.gif
2411bmg.gif

Dartastic

I would love to see Hancock become the next Strawhat, honestly. She'd always be fawning over Luffy, and Sanji would always be fawning over Hancock, and Nami would smack the both of them, and.. man. It'd be awesome. :lol

Dartastic

Himuro said:
Let's look at the list of Strawhat requirements:

1. Troubled past
2. Character quirk that stands out compared to all other characters
3. Her love for Luffy. She will die without him! Sanji x Hancock hijinks would be great, and it'd be nice to see Nami get jealous and fight it out with Hancock.
4. She's strong but it doesn't like she's TOO strong either so Jimbei...yer outta the pool!

She doesn't have anything generic going on like Vivi either. She's totally gonna be a SH. I can TASTE IT.

I CERTAINLY HOPE SO! On another note, damn this arc has been done soooo well so far.

Pimpwerx

Himuro said:
In anime? Yeah, it's really doing it justice. I can't wait for
the arena fight and Luffy's king willpower scream

I'm still having weekly One Piece withdrawal after not having a new chapter come out last week. :(
Don't need to spoiler that. That happened this most-recent episode. I liked how they pulled it off. PEACE.

grandjedi6

Snaku said:
http://i25.tinypic.com/rbmz9k.jpg[IMG]

Kindred spirits? :lol[/QUOTE]
:lol

Boa is probably the love child of Cobra Commander and Sailor Moon.

[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/2gw5hjt.gif

Pimpwerx said:
Don't need to spoiler that. That happened this most-recent episode. I liked how they pulled it off. PEACE.
ofsks2.gif

Dartastic

inner-G said:
413 is out by [UTFS]

I actually really like their subs. They're quick as hell, and they do a good job. Plus they release their subs in MP4, which means I can watch them on my PS3! Win!

grandjedi6 said:

HAKI SCREAM FTW!

As for Hancock being a SH, it makes sense. All she's missing is a dream. I actually think Oda said a former enemy would join, but I can't find the source. If that's true, we have quite a few candidates.

Dartastic

Himuro said:
He said in a joint interview with Toriyama that he likes turning villains into good guys because sometimes you expect it, but it always feels good doing it. Toriyama agreed.

That said, if the SH crew slots aren't all taken up, I fully expect Smoker to join. He's not 100% supportive of the Marines, he seems to actually hate them and the Government. He does this his own style under his own ideals.

When is the last time we actually saw Smoker? It's been so long, I've pretty much forgot about him.

Himuro said:
He said in a joint interview with Toriyama that he likes turning villains into good guys because sometimes you expect it, but it always feels good doing it. Toriyama agreed.

That said, if the SH crew slots aren't all taken up, I fully expect Smoker to join. He's not 100% supportive of the Marines, he seems to actually hate them and the Government. He does this his own style under his own ideals.

Ah, that's what it was. I wonder how that got interpreted as a former enemy becoming an SH.

I agree on Smoker becoming a crew member. We need a former marine or shichibukai or someone that worked for the government. Though having a logia on board might mess up the power balance.

Maron

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-08-17/one-piece-streaming-announcement-tomorrow

FUNi's Twitter from a few days back said:
We'll also have good news on the One Piece front. Details still TBD.

Return of simulcast confirmed? :D

Anyway, I've bought all of the FUNi DVDs (including one that hasn't been released in stores yet, thanks to RightStuf) so I've watched the first 78 episodes, and this show was a million times better than I hoped. I especially love the orchestral scores, particularly that really nice and dramatic sounding one that plays during Luffy, Sanji, Zoro, and Ussop's march to Arlong Park (and all the instrumental versions of We Are that plays throughout some episodes).

Like another poster said, I think for now, I'll just keep buying the DVDs and watching the anime, then at some point I may give the manga a try.

Maron

Well, we know news about the streaming/simulcast will be revealed tommorow, and FUNimation has said it is "good news", so I'm only left to assume the return of it will be announced. Guess we'll find out!

So i am re-watching One Piece right now and i am up to ep 91 a lot of shit happened in this ep imo, the topic for the meeting of kings in Dolton's flashback was the revolutionary dragon, ace seemingly had the ability to fuck with the weather on Drum island, Roger's real name and the "Will Of D." was first mentioned and last but not least Mr. 2 Badass Clay was first shown in this ep. I love Hancock as much as the next man and i wish she would be a new member of the crew, but i would take Mr.2 over her anyday.

Yay one piece thread \o/

Been working my way through the whole show for the last few weeks via a streaming site, qualitys not amazing but hey what can ya do.

Just finished the water7-enis-thousandsunny arc and it was awesome:D

knkng

Relix said:
The animation quality of the Amazon Lily arc is quite good.
The end of episode 411 was repulsive, but other than that it's been pretty decent. Seriously though, re-watch the last 3 minutes of that episode and pay attention to Luffy's hat. It damn near drove me insane.

Griffith

Banned
Good news. Simulcast is back!
Anime Leaders to Continue Streaming Popular Anime Series, Including Latest Episode Immediately After Japanese Television Debut

Flower Mound, Texas – August 18, 2009 - FUNimation® Entertainment and the Japanese consortium of producer Toei Animation Co., Ltd., publisher Shueisha, Inc. and broadcaster Fuji Television Network, Inc. have agreed to continue the U.S. and Canadian online simulcast of the studios' signature animated series "One Piece".

Starting Saturday, August 29th at 9:00 p.m. CDT, just one hour after airing in Japan, FUNimation and the consortium will mark the return of "One Piece" online simulcasts with the Amazon Lily Saga story arc beginning with episode 415, via the official One Piece website www.onepieceofficial.com followed soon thereafter by FUNimation partner sites.

Each new episode of the current season will be rolled out weekly as "One Piece" continues its Japanese television run.

In addition, beginning Friday, August 21st FUNimation will stream episodes from the Sabaody Archipelago Saga story arc starting with episode 391. FUNimation will add three episodes at 9:00 pm CDT daily leading up to the simulcast of 415.

grandjedi6

Griffith said:
34pcbx0.gif

yay! In other news it seems Viz updated their One Piece site alot too in preparation for the incoming One Piece volume flood. They've added a few things that I don't believe were there before such as a trailer of all things for the manga. The interesting thing though is that Viz is now dividing up the volumes into Sagas. They already have East Blue, Baroque Works and Skypeia listed with spaces for 3 more sagas. Which is kinda odd considering we're technically only in the 5th saga. I suppose they could be counting Thriller Bark as its own saga which kinda makes sense but kinda doesn't. They also list an upcoming arc (for the anime) as a "saga" in their "speed up details" section (you've been warned Firestorm! :p). Makes me wonder if they're actually going to make that arc a separate saga (which definitely makes no sense) or if its just a quick blurb (probably).

nixon

Neo Member
I'm really happy that viz is speeding up one piece manga for the US. I only own vol 1-9 but I will catch up.

Firestorm

Johnlenham said:
Anyway of viewing this site outside of the US?
I'm sure HotSpot Shield will work. Download and Install that. I used to use it with Hulu. For this I won't have to as it's open to Canada yay =D

Maron

Griffith said:

Beaten!

Really glad about this, though. iI was a bit worried we'd end up getting the subs streamed later than an hour when they would bring it back, so I'm naturally really glad to see that it'll be the same time. :D

Should there be a seperate thread on this?

Pimpwerx

SnakeSlashRO said:
I hated Hancock till I learned about her past....... If you have not read ahead, DO IT :lol
How can you hate Hancock? She looks down on people so much, she has to lean back. :lol I love everything about her character. Kicking the kitten, then flashing an innocent wink. She is hilarious. PEACE.

Top Bottom