• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Fire in High Rise Apartment in London

Apparently the fire started at around 1:30 am and conitues to burn

Sky News has coverage:

https://youtu.be/y60wDzZt8yg

Article from the BBC;

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40269625

A huge fire has engulfed a tower block in Latimer Road, west London, with eyewitnesses claiming people are trapped in their homes.
The fire at Grenfell Tower on the Lancaster West Estate was reported at 01:16 BST and about 200 firefighters are tackling the blaze.
The Met Police said people were being treated for "a range of injuries".

image_1497407815-9c8c45bb58.jpg

Pretty horrific looking

ETA: 6/14/17 12 confirmed fatalities, 68 injuries incl 19 in critical. Authorities expect the number to rise as there are many missing.

Lo-Volt

The Guardian is maintaining a live blog. This is a 27 story building in the dense western section of London (for residents, W11).

The Guardian blog entry said:
A nearby resident, named as Sofia, also told Radio 5:

“I kept hearing what I thought were loud banging sounds … I looked out of the window and said Grenfell Tower was burning down.”

She said, as other eyewitnesses have done, said the fire began one side but quickly spread across the whole building.

“I have not seen a survivor, someone pulled out of the building and being treated by an ambulance. I think it confirms my worst fear that people are dying in this building.”

She said the noises began around 1.15am, and the fire had spread very rapidly.

“I heard loads of young girls crying out for help … I can’t see any ladders extending into the building … I can hear people screaming for help and they are dying.”

DavidDesu

I believe this started on floor 3 or so.. at about 1am. Horrible stories on BBC saying people were making farewell phonecalls to family. Whole building looks engulfed.

This is going to be horrific. Also worrying the building might collapse and take others with it.

Shit.

How the hell does a building like that get completely engulfed so fast?

It looks like every single floor is on fire? How can that happen so fast?

s_mirage

Can't help but think that the death toll is going to be quite significant, sadly. There have been concerns about the safety of this tower before now it seems.

DavidDesu

No fire sprinkler system??

Dunno. BBC reported there was a pressure group with a blog who've complained for years about poor safety standards here and fears of a fire.... Electrical surges due to poor wiring. If all true the people responsible are going to jail for fucking life.

novenD

If the fire started as late as 1:00 AM, most of the residents were probably inside.

Just awful. I'm still hoping for good news, but when you see pictures like that... :(

Fuck, that sounds horrific. In the middle of the night.. those people didn't stand a chance :(

How horrible was their fire prevention system to allow it to spread that fast. Reminds me of the Station Nightclub fire from years ago.

Lo-Volt

Eyewitnesses to Sky noted that many residents were awake to break their fast for Ramadan, and we're hoping some were able to escape because they were up.

I believe this started on floor 3 or so.. at about 1am. Horrible stories on BBC saying people were making farewell phonecalls to family. Whole building looks engulfed.

This is going to be horrific. Also worrying the building might collapse and take others with it.

Shit.

oh god, i cant begin to imagine.

Dopus

Banned
The guy currently being interviewed said it was his neighbour's fridge on the 4th floor that started it. People are still trapped inside.

Zenner

That's horrifying. :(

DavidDesu said:
BBC reported there was a pressure group with a blog who've complained for years about poor safety standards here and fears of a fire.... Electrical surges due to poor wiring. If all true the people responsible are going to jail for fucking life.

Is this a lower income residential building?

This looks very bad. Some Aussie guy on BBC radio (member of the public?) is saying he expects 10-100 people to have perished.
How does a fire get this out of control in a modern city, in this day and age? Awful.

Steejee

BBC reporting signalling from flashlights ('torches') in the upper floors, people desperate for help.

This is fucking horrific...

Hjod

Banned
Thats horrifying.

Buy a smoke alarm people, it may save your life one day.

People underestimate how fast something like this can happen, when the room gets hot enough everything catches fire so much faster.

Dunno. BBC reported there was a pressure group with a blog who've complained for years about poor safety standards here and fears of a fire.... Electrical surges due to poor wiring. If all true the people responsible are going to jail for fucking life.

Well the council were told and did nothing.

GHG

Gold Member
Fucking hell, this looks terrible.

Hoping for the best despite the eye witness reports.

Lo-Volt

Via Sky...

The brigade is warning neighborhood residents: if they receive a call from a trapped relative, they should be told to self-evacuate now, and not to wait for rescuers.

Thats horrifying.

Buy a smoke alarm people, it may save your life one day.

People underestimate how fast something like this can happen, when the room gets hot enough everything catches fire so much faster.

Smoke alarm really? Have you seen the picture of the fire?

Top Bottom