• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THR: Ron Howard officially directing Han Solo after Lord/Miller firing

Via THR: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...an-solo-movie-ron-howard-steps-direct-1015674

The Millennium Falcon has a new pilot.

Ron Howard has been named as the new director of Lucasfilm and Disney's untitled Han Solo movie, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. The official announcement is expected Thursday morning.

The move comes two days after directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller were let go from the movie they had spent over four-and-a-half months directing. Creative differences over style and tone came to a head between the duo and Lawrence Kasdan, with the studio backing the veteran screenwriter.

The firing sent shockwaves around Hollywood and beyond as the movie was about three-quarters through principal photography and the replacement of a director at that stage is near-unprecedented.

Howard, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter, will meet with the actors — Alden Ehrenreich is playing the iconic smuggler, Donald Glover is playing Lando Calrissian, with Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke and Thandie Newton also on the roll call — to soothe a rattled set and will pore over a rough edit to see what the project has and still needs.

The movie was scheduled to shoot for three-and-a-half more weeks, with five weeks of reshoots built into the schedule — the latter a standard procedure on large franchise productions.

(...)

Howard is considered to be a safe choice to complete the task, someone who will more than ably finish the movie while being a calming presence on set.

SpaceWolf

Banned
R1k5DTZ.png

marrec

Banned
I... guess...

I don't feel strongly one way or another about this. On the one hand, Ron Howard has made good movies, on the other, he hasn't made anything remarkable in years.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
is that a wrong link in the OP or am I missing a joke?

and does this mean they're starting all over again?

edit:

Howard, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter, will meet with the actors — Alden Ehrenreich is playing the iconic smuggler, Donald Glover is playing Lando Calrissian, with Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke and Thandie Newton also on the roll call — to soothe a rattled set and will pore over a rough edit to see what the project has and still needs.

Patryn

is that a wrong link in the OP or am I missing a joke?

and does this mean they're starting all over again?

edit:

Not starting over, but expect the five weeks of reshoots to balloon quite a bit.

Also, OP: Your link isn't THR, it's to a random Imgur picture (?????)

ezekial45

Banned
I'm assuming this movie will change significantly over the next few weeks of shooting, along with the reshoots.

Howard is a solid director, but I'm sad we're never gonna see how Lord/Miller's movie would have turned out.

Ourobolus

Banned
Luke: "Rey, you're the Last Jedi."

Narrator: "She wasn't."

EDIT: I need my coffee, don't know how I missed the words "HAN SOLO" in caps in the title, lol

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Lord/Miller track record is so much better than Ron Howards.I really wanted to watch their vision.

Huh? Haven't they only done like 4 movies? Two animated and 2 Jump Street? Howard has some clunkers, but he's been in the game for decades. Plus, this is gonna be whatever it is now. This isn't a director stepping in during pre-production. This movie is like 80% filmed already

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If it came down to Lord/Miller and Larry Kasdan, there was only going to be one winner. I was excited to see their version of the movie but I can see why they would make a change if it was heading too far into Jump Street territory.

Are you saying that sometimes directors do movies just for the pay check? I for one am shocked!

This doesn't suddenly become a Ron Howard Movie now

This is cleanup.

I'm assuming this movie will change significantly over the next few weeks of shooting, along with the reshoots.

Howard is a solid director, but I'm sad we're never gonna see how Lord/Miller's movie would have turned out.

It probably won't. Howard will knock whatever Lord & Miller's shot into the shape Kasdan prefers, and shoot new shit to make it fit together.

Patryn

To those saying that the movie is like 80 percent done, I fully expect that they'll reshoot a lot of what was already done, if for no other reason than to fully present a case to the DGA that this is a Ron Howard film now and not a Lord and Miller picture.

So its stil going to hit May? Crazy..

It'll get pushed back to December.

Lifeline

Wait a second, what does this mean for the new season of Arrested Development? Didn't they just renewed contracts and started working on it.

I rather have Ron Howard on that and as far away from Star Wars as possible

To those saying that the movie is like 80 percent done, I fully expect that they'll reshoot a lot of what was already done, if for no other reason than to fully present a case to the DGA that this is a Ron Howard film now and not a Lord and Miller picture.

Unless they bump this shit back to December and order something way more substantial than 6 weeks of reshoots, he doesn't have enough time.

Clean up of what could have been a fun movie but now it is possibly "on brand".

Gee willikers!

yup.

I'm not a fan of his (well, except for Arrested Development of course) but this is a safe choice I guess, he'll polish this into something that'll make Lucasfilm happy.

But I'm more curious as to what's in it for him. I mean, yes, he's had a few bombs lately but his name still carries a lot of weight in Hollywood and I'm surprised that he would accept to finish somebody else's movie. It's not like he's hurting for money and I'm pretty sure he could still get another project greenlighted fairly easily.

Unless they bump this shit back to December and order something way more substantial than 6 weeks of reshoots, he doesn't have enough time.

I wouldn't be surprised if that actually happened.

ezekial45

Banned
So its stil going to hit May? Crazy..
That's still a pretty comfortable amount of time for them. Not ideal, but still doable. Rogue One was getting down to the wire with shoots happening in September/October (iirc), but they managed to get it in for the December release.

Then again, that's assuming nothing else is gonna happen with this movie on the production side of things.

Clean up of what could have been a fun movie but now it is possibly "on brand".

seriously

The movie would have been amazing with Lord and Miller, but now, it'll just be "eh, I guess it was alright", and will promptly be forgotten.

But it's Star Wars and Disney, so it'll still make a fuckton of money I guess, vindicating Disney's decision to fire two of the best directors in Hollywood right now.

Top Bottom