• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 8 Is World's Fastest Phone (It's Not Even Close)

Ty4on

the iphone 6s is still on par with this year's non-apple CPUs in single thread. The 7 is still faster than this year's non-Apple CPUs single thread. This is about 25-50% beyond the performance of the 7. multi-thread performance is a rough comparison as Qualcomm usually stocks 8 cores in their CPUs, even though most modern programming is still single or dual threaded at most. So single core performance is still the best real gauge we have.
It's worth remembering with eight core CPUs that it either means four high power and four low power or eight low power. It never means eight high power and apart from short bursts they can't run all eight that fast when used together.

As for why they have eight it's mostly marketing

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Metal will be fine. The way they handled OpenCL, though.. Apple can and do missteps. Their A series is most definitely not one of them, though. Their GPUs are a wildcard so far. We shall see.

yeah, true... but they're also the first silicon developer to put hardware ML and NN instructions into the consumer market.. which is friggin amazing. But yes, they also do misstep from time to time.

DOWN

Banned
How about we get more battery life instead of more power?
More efficient chips help with that tho

And for the first time, Apple has made their phones a little thicker and heavier. They aren’t as steadfastly compromising battery size for thinness anymore

Kthulhu

does this mean candy crush type game will be better? does speed actually sell a phone when many use to just browse the Internet where a lot of websites are already designed for slow phones in mind?

i don't see the upside to a faster phone when there's plenty of fast phones for the content that's available to it.

These phones will have a longer lifespan that's for sure. Who knows? Maybe Apple will keep them updated for a lot longer than normal.

borghe

What do they mean when they say Apple designed GPU? Do they have their own architecture now, or are they still on PowerVR?

own architecture. they killed the deal with Imagination earlier this year. People wondered if the existing licensing would extend to 8/X but by the iPhone event apple announced that it was an apple developed GPU. There was an Imagination lawsuit where they basically alleged that there is no way apple could develop their own GPU without infringing on some of IT's patents... but I don't know what happened with that.

To me... these crazy spec jumps on this AXX chips year after year is Apple laying the groundwork for switching to these chips in the Mac, right?

Kthulhu

To me... these crazy spec jumps on this AXX chips year after year is Apple laying the groundwork for switching to these chips in the Mac, right?

Personally I don't see the point for Macs. iPads on the other hand are a much better option.

Remember when Tim Cook said the iPad Pro could replace your laptop? That might actually be possible for the vast majority of consumers in the not too distant future. They have most of the hardware, now they just need the software.

CHC

Phone are becoming exceedingly more powerful each year. Though I mostly just use my phone for texting and some apps like reddit and etc.

Not sure what people do with their phone that demand high performance.

Run increasingly bloated version of iOS, of course.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
38k and 62k are both the scores reported in the Tom’s articles and shown in their graphics. Both are aggregate.

Look at the S8 score in the Time review of the iPhone 8. That is the aggregate.

Aggregate takes into account the CPU performance.

bionic77

How much is the lack of performance due to Android not working well with the hardware available?
I don't think this is about software. This is just the speed of hardware. I believe they can measure this pretty objectively.

Also so weird to see phone wars where people arguing against CPU advancements.

borghe

How much is the lack of performance due to Android not working well with the hardware available?

nah. stock android is pretty lightweight. this more comes to apple developing the OS, compiler and silicon in tandem, along with years back poaching the best silicon talent in the industry.

Piggus

a2DxICS.png

Good lord.

This gets me excited since I just got a drone that shoots in 4K and want a quicker way of editing videos than going through Premiere.

VeeP

I think a lot of the performance gains on the iPhone 8 is because Apple is designing every single part. But I’m no expert. Either way, this is great news for two reasons:

*Its impressive as hell and shows that Apple will push the benchmark for performance

*its just going to make companies like Google, Samsung, etc more competitive and improve Android devices even more.

I’m curious if we’ll ever see these chips in MacBooks and if Intel is worried.

Kthulhu

Then why isn't the pixel being used in this comparison ? Would it do that much better ?

The Pixel is using older hardware compared to the S8 and Note 8. Plus the whole deal about the Pixel is that it's really optimized vs most Android phones which typically aren't. Samsung's phones are famous for their bloatware.

Even then, if we're talking CPU benchmarks it's probably be a similar result with the Pixel 2 since it's the same hardware.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Phone are becoming exceedingly more powerful each year. Though I mostly just use my phone for texting and some apps like reddit and etc.

Not sure what people do with their phone that demand high performance.

I’d be pretty keen to be able to dock an iPhone or iPad and get a mini OSX on a monitor with keyboard and mouse support

BriGuy

Would an 8 perform better than the X in graphically intensive applications because it doesn't have to output as many pixels?

Kthulhu

But other neogaf.com users told me iPhone's aren't worth the money

They still aren't. All phone manufacturers are robbing you with their margins.

The iPhone X is probably the best example of that. Apple couldn't get a great deal on the displays since Samsung makes 90% of OLED displays, so you get to pay the price.

iPhones usually spank other phones in performance, guess the gap is getting even bigger.

Interesting to see the downplay of 'it's good but almost too good to be necessary'

If it's the same price as other flagships and performing better, it's obviously noteworthy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I am still confused about the relative price/perf between the 8 and the X. In theory it's a couple of hundred dollars more, but is it a couple of hundred dollars better? I'm in the market for an upgrade anyway, and I'm leaning towards the X in large part because it's "only" a couple of hundred bucks, but also the camera.

Am I doing it wrong?

For me I wanted the dual cameras and a bigger screen but don’t want the size and weight of a plus

I’m borrowing an s8 at the moment and the lack of bezels isn’t just about more screen - it brings the content closer to you and pushes the phone into the background. I think it’s a big step forward like when we got laminated screens

Top Bottom